2019 4* RB Jamious Griffin (Georgia Tech)

ellitor

13 hours ago, doc4aday said:

As a Saint fan of 40 years, I have never seen a game that was so screwed up by poor officiating. Not only was the blantened pass interference call missed, there was another missed call just as bad earlier in the game that the commentator made note of. I would not let that officiating crew call a pee wee league football game.  I think there should be at least 10,000 Saints fans ready to descend on the dome in Atlanta and block all of the entrances so that no one can go in before the Super Bowl starts. I would not be surprised in the least if the rams and the refs were involved in money with the refs getting a lot $$$$$$$$ to purposely miss enough calls to enable the rams to win that game. 

I do not like the Patriots, but hope they beat the crap out of the rams to the tune of 45-3. The Doc has spoken and the score will be 45-3 Pats. If I get this one right, I will open my betting business with all of the profits going to the Salvation Army for homeless folks.

You sound like a Saints fan, Go Falcons.  

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cole256 said:

You have to think it through. It's at a point Mikey isn't ever going to agree. It's not that he doesn't understand but he said things in the past and he has to double down on them. 

This is exactly right. He's got it in his head that it's better to keep saying dumber and dumber things than to admit he was wrong. 

26 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Who in the SEC would have K-Mart as the #1 back? Name one? AU tried it last year and it didn't work. K-Mart is a 5 - 10 carry per game back change of pace back. Not a knock on him but that is what he is.

Miller isn't a SEC back either and saying he is because of mop up duty and forced into action because the other RB's were hurt also doesn't help you cuase here. 

Shivers? Has the heart and skill. But he is small. Can he take the beating day in and day out in the SEC? Maybe? If you are Gus and your job is on the line do you chance he can? 

Boobie? Yeah he can be the guy. But his running style can be a problem. He is a very physical runner. Has to learn when to and when not to take on the hits. 

Williams? He isn't even on campus. Has the tools. But is a unknown. 

Reminds me of our 2016 QB depth chart...bunch of talented guys with unbelievable skillsets, but all lacking in one area so much its a huge liability.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

This isn’t true. We’ve lost it.   Besides, Georgia has Herschel Walker, Knowshon, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Gurley, and other alumni and actually recruit like RBU. 

You forgot arguably UGA's best pro RB, Terrell Davis.

28 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Who in the SEC would have K-Mart as the #1 back? Name one? AU tried it last year and it didn't work. K-Mart is a 5 - 10 carry per game back change of pace back. Not a knock on him but that is what he is.

Miller isn't a SEC back either and saying he is because of mop up duty and forced into action because the other RB's were hurt also doesn't help you cuase here. 

Shivers? Has the heart and skill. But he is small. Can he take the beating day in and day out in the SEC? Maybe? If you are Gus and your job is on the line do you chance he can? 

Boobie? Yeah he can be the guy. But his running style can be a problem. He is a very physical runner. Has to learn when to and when not to take on the hits. 

This 100%.   Being satisfied with how we recruit RBs is being satisfied with 8 win seasons because that’s where we are currently.   

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

You forgot arguably UGA's best pro RB, Terrell Davis.

Great add. He’s a little before my NFL fanhood and forgot about him. Our RBU status is long gone and Georgia is going to sell to MAR that their alumni is  starting for both teams in tbe SB. 

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

And any coach who lets himself be successfully negatively recruited on that issue should be ashamed of himself.  JMO

AU's been getting out recruited at RB '64, been that way for far too long honestly.  

HS kids & their parents listen to the sales pitch colleges come in with, the 4-5*'s want to play where they'll get the best development and training available, they want to see a plan for their athletic career, they want to compete for championships.  The 5*'s want to go to a school that will get them to the NFL and they don't want to be run into the ground and used up before they have a shot at the pro's. 

How many times do we hear/see interviews where 4-5*'s mention their choice was a "business decision"?  The adults that guide these highly talented kids are smarter than the 17-18 yr old football stud.  All a 5* kid sees is what's right in front of him, he wants to be THE man on the field he wants to show out. 

The adults see the big picture >>> go where you're guaranteed to get solid development & training, go where you'll share the load with others that will push you to compete, go where you'll get the most exposure and play in a system that will highlight your talents and pumps out early round draft picks.

56 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Great add. He’s a little before my NFL fanhood and forgot about him. Our RBU status is long gone and Georgia is going to sell to MAR that their alumni is  starting for both teams in tbe SB. 

Some programs have positioned themselves to a point where they don't even have to "sell" their program anymore. 

How much easier can a program make their recruiting than to show them NFL rosters & then point to the SB and just sit back quietly smiling at a 5* while he and his parents make their own decision about where to play college ball?

Running back recruiting has changed over the past few years.  It used to be the sales pitch was "you're our main guy and we're gonna run you 25 - 30 times per game."  This is how we got Cadillac to come to AU under Tubs.  He was going to be THE guy.  But over the past few years Saban and now Kirby have been able to sell guys and their parents that the fewer carries you get the better your chances of staying healthy and still be able to impress the scouts enough to get drafter and drafter higher.  They're telling these guys you're gonna get 10 - 15 carries per game which is enough.  Gus is still recruiting the old fashion way it appears and it's not working.  Just reading the tea leaves we're though at RB for this year.  One recruit is GA bound and the other is GTech bound.

1 hour ago, tinman said:

Running back recruiting has changed over the past few years.  It used to be the sales pitch was "you're our main guy and we're gonna run you 25 - 30 times per game."  This is how we got Cadillac to come to AU under Tubs.  He was going to be THE guy.  But over the past few years Saban and now Kirby have been able to sell guys and their parents that the fewer carries you get the better your chances of staying healthy and still be able to impress the scouts enough to get drafter and drafter higher.  They're telling these guys you're gonna get 10 - 15 carries per game which is enough.  Gus is still recruiting the old fashion way it appears and it's not working.  Just reading the tea leaves we're though at RB for this year.  One recruit is GA bound and the other is GTech bound.

The one thing we had going was our 1,000 yard rusher streak which was broken. However, they may indeed be a good thing long term...hoping we move to more of a RB by committee approach moving forward....even when we have a stud ala KJ, Bubba  Pett, P Barber, Etc....

1 hour ago, tinman said:

Just reading the tea leaves we're though at RB for this year.  One recruit is GA bound

Again. Don't count out Miami for MAR.

16 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The one thing we had going was our 1,000 yard rusher streak which was broken. However, they may indeed be a good thing long term...hoping we move to more of a RB by committee approach moving forward....even when we have a stud ala KJ, Bubba  Pett, P Barber, Etc....

SO happy to see that albatross die. Hopefully Gus never paid as much attention to that as his tactics sometimes suggested that he might have, but lawdy it dumbed down the conversations around here. 

I want RB1 and RB2 to be the best duo in the conference much more than I want RB1 to have the most yardage. 

5 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

You sound like a Saints fan, Go Falcons.  

Saints all the way! No dirty birds here!

15 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't agree with your assessment, but even if I did, what would signing Griffin do to solve the situation that you think is so dire?

Williams is supposed to be on campus, he's listed as an early enrolee. That puts him miles ahead of Griffin already.

About K-Mart, I could have sworn I said he's good for 10+ carries a game. Wait...I DID say that. As to who would want him for their #1 back, I'm thinking more along the lines of Memphis, etc. As evidenced last year, he has speed and good talent, just doesn't make cuts.

Shivers has done nothing to indicate he's not an every down back. The guy is around 5'6". He's thick bodied. Last year the bulk of his runs were between the tackles. Somebody can try to prove he can't carry it 25 times a game. Until then....

Joiner is an unknown with good size and a year's experience.

I'll repeat: I don't see the need to sign a seventh RB. The coaches already have enough to work with. MAR would be a nice pickup because of his skill and versatility but below that, lets get another OT instead.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't agree with your assessment, but even if I did, what would signing Griffin do to solve the situation that you think is so dire?

Williams is supposed to be on campus, he's listed as an early enrolee. That puts him miles ahead of Griffin already.

About K-Mart, I could have sworn I said he's good for 10+ carries a game. Wait...I DID say that. As to who would want him for their #1 back, I'm thinking more along the lines of Memphis, etc. As evidenced last year, he has speed and good talent, just doesn't make cuts.

Shivers has done nothing to indicate he's not an every down back. The guy is around 5'6". He's thick bodied. Last year the bulk of his runs were between the tackles. Somebody can try to prove he can't carry it 25 times a game. Until then....

Joiner is an unknown with good size and a year's experience.

I'll repeat: I don't see the need to sign a seventh RB. The coaches already have enough to work with. MAR would be a nice pickup because of his skill and versatility but below that, lets get another OT instead.

I have to say I agree with you on this. Before the grad transfer we really needed one. Having him allows one of our TE recruits or brown to learn this role. I’d love to have Griffin but not our top concern

2 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

I have to say I agree with you on this. Before the grad transfer we really needed one. Having him allows one of our TE recruits or brown to learn this role. I’d love to have Griffin but not our top concern

With Joiner staying at HB we still need a third every down back in case of injury.

The point to my post earlier was that our issues arise when we don’t split carries well in a season. We’ve run into trouble when we rely too heavily on one guy. Our best seasons involve three runners, but this fetish about “every down” backs doesn’t really show up. In 2015, we had Barber and Robinson and Kerryon and Roc Thomas on the roster. All had the size/potential to be “every down” backs. Our running game was mediocre. In 2010, we had Dyer and Fannin and McCalebb. There’s only one guy in that group who was an “every down” back. 

The trick is to play multiple guys on the game. In most games there will be between 35-45 carries. If we have two 5-10 carry guys (like McCalebb and Grant were) and actually use them, toss another 5 or so carries to Schwartz/Stove, that’s 10-20 carries left. That’s the type of splits we’ve had when our running game worked and our backs didn’t break down.

With or without another “every down” back in the stable we have the personnel to spread carries and succeed. Martin and Shivers should be involved every game. They are good backs with game breaking ability/speed. If they are, Boobee’s work load drastically diminishes (and thus his risk of a contact injury drops). I think MAR is signing with Auburn, but even if he doesn’t, I want to see us consistently involve more RBs each week. 

7 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

The point to my post earlier was that our issues arise when we don’t split carries well in a season. We’ve run into trouble when we rely too heavily on one guy. Our best seasons involve three runners, but this fetish about “every down” backs doesn’t really show up. In 2015, we had Barber and Robinson and Kerryon and Roc Thomas on the roster. All had the size/potential to be “every down” backs. Our running game was mediocre. In 2010, we had Dyer and Fannin and McCalebb. There’s only one guy in that group who was an “every down” back. 

The trick is to play multiple guys on the game. In most games there will be between 35-45 carries. If we have two 5-10 carry guys (like McCalebb and Grant were) and actually use them, toss another 5 or so carries to Schwartz/Stove, that’s 10-20 carries left. That’s the type of splits we’ve had when our running game worked and our backs didn’t break down.

With or without another “every down” back in the stable we have the personnel to spread carries and succeed. Martin and Shivers should be involved every game. They are good backs with game breaking ability/speed. If they are, Boobee’s work load drastically diminishes (and thus his risk of a contact injury drops). I think MAR is signing with Auburn, but even if he doesn’t, I want to see us consistently involve more RBs each week. 

It's not a fetish and you're right, we're having two different conversations.

There are only a few people who disagree with you about splitting carries.  They are, for the most part, the same people who disagree with adding another "every down"- I've begun using that myself, but I also like to say "traditional"- RB in this class. The rest of us have been saying this for years. 

The conversation is about depth. In 2015, Robinson had personal issues (and "injury"), Thomas had "I don't want OMac's role" issues (and "injury"), and KJ was a true freshman. (And he ended up being the guy we went to in crunch time in the bowl game that year.) The following year, the only guy left from that group was KJ. Lucky for us, Pettway emerged, but by November we were still down to a not-100% KJ, a not-100% KMart and Stanton Truitt. The year after that, we had severe depth issues again and tried to murder KJ in the SECCG. 

It's beyond bizarre that fans are not acknowledging this. It's just like the conversation about the QBs. Every season we have these issues, and every season some folks confuse quantity for quality. 

I guess my point is, depth in terms of guys who can play between the tackles seems a little overblown to me. When we were at our deepest, the running game was at its worst AND we still ended up having a personnel deficit at season’s end. When we lacked depth, the running game was great. 

I’m MUCH more concerned with us actually distributing carries among our running backs than I am about having X number of RBs that fit particular measureables. 

MAR is going to start as a niche guy. Martin is a niche guy. Shivers actually looks like a between-the-tackles stud, but you don’t want to use him 20+ times. Whitlow is a traditional workhorse. We think Williams is the same. There are plenty of bodies and skills to share the work, and if you do that, this question of depth (or lack thereof) for traditional RBs dissolves. Or, at least, becomes drastically less important. 

The lack of every down backs only becomes a glaring problem when you’re over-emphasizing a single guy in the game plan to the exclusion of the rest of your talent. 

18 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I guess my point is, depth in terms of guys who can play between the tackles seems a little overblown to me. When we were at our deepest, the running game was at its worst AND we still ended up having a personnel deficit at season’s end. When we lacked depth, the running game was great. 

I’m MUCH more concerned with us actually distributing carries among our running backs than I am about having X number of RBs that fit particular measureables. 

MAR is going to start as a niche guy. Martin is a niche guy. Shivers actually looks like a between-the-tackles stud, but you don’t want to use him 20+ times. Whitlow is a traditional workhorse. We think Williams is the same. There are plenty of bodies and skills to share the work, and if you do that, this question of depth (or lack thereof) for traditional RBs dissolves. Or, at least, becomes drastically less important. 

The lack of every down backs only becomes a glaring problem when you’re over-emphasizing a single guy in the game plan to the exclusion of the rest of your talent. 

makes a lot of sense, BUT we're talking about Gus and his tendency.  I just don't think he can successfully distribute the carries.

12 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

There are plenty of bodies and skills to share the work, and if you do that, this question of depth (or lack thereof) for traditional RBs dissolves. Or, at least, becomes drastically less important. 

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion so soon after Jovon Robinson spent half a season with his head up his ass and transferred, Roc Thomas spent half the season in the tub planning his exit because he didn't want to be the slot sweep guy and then transferred, Peyton Barber left a year earlier than expected, Malik Miller got hurt before the season even started, Alaric Williams failed to qualify, KJ got hurt a few games into a season where he had actually split carries very evenly with Pettway, Pettway got injured running completely alone in the wide open and then quickly got injured again the next season and then transferred, AMart didn't produce and we couldn't count to 5 so he transferred, Devan Barrett was misevaluated and I'm not even sure what position he plays now...

Like, are you really assuming that all 3 of Boobie, Shivers and Williams are going to still be healthy, dependable and capable of being productive by the end of 2019? We will have really beaten the odds if so. 

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

With Joiner staying at HB we still need a third every down back in case of injury.

what are our chances with Griffin?  Thanks and Go Saints!!

49 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

what are our chances with Griffin?  Thanks and Go Saints!!

Not good, his bro @ GT & maybe getting the other one there will be tough to beat.

Archived