2019 4* RB Jamious Griffin (Georgia Tech)

ellitor

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Not good, his bro @ GT & maybe getting the other one there will be tough to beat.

If we miss out on MAR & Griffin, who are some other options out there for us? You may have stated this already, but I do not remember. The old memory gives me fits at times!

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

If we miss out on MAR & Griffin, who are some other options out there for us?

Haven't heard of any other options.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:55 PM, Mikey said:

I don't agree with your assessment, but even if I did, what would signing Griffin do to solve the situation that you think is so dire?

Williams is supposed to be on campus, he's listed as an early enrolee. That puts him miles ahead of Griffin already.

About K-Mart, I could have sworn I said he's good for 10+ carries a game. Wait...I DID say that. As to who would want him for their #1 back, I'm thinking more along the lines of Memphis, etc. As evidenced last year, he has speed and good talent, just doesn't make cuts.

Shivers has done nothing to indicate he's not an every down back. The guy is around 5'6". He's thick bodied. Last year the bulk of his runs were between the tackles. Somebody can try to prove he can't carry it 25 times a game. Until then....

Joiner is an unknown with good size and a year's experience.

I'll repeat: I don't see the need to sign a seventh RB. The coaches already have enough to work with. MAR would be a nice pickup because of his skill and versatility but below that, lets get another OT instead.

Shivers is going to be a superstar before it's over. 

8 hours ago, DivisionN said:

If he gets a full opportunity to be which remains to be seen.

8 hours ago, DivisionN said:

TheLittleOneThatCould.jpg

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So you're saying Shivers isn't going to get to play much? Then why does anybody care if we sign Griffin or not? The same thoughts should apply. Since Shivers's opportunities increased as the season went on, I see no reason to think he won't get plenty of opportunities.

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So you're saying Shivers isn't going to get to play much? Then why does anybody care if we sign Griffin or not? The same thoughts should apply. Since Shivers's opportunities increased as the season went on, I see no reason to think he won't get plenty of opportunities.

I agree, and I probably should keep my mouth shut, but some of the people on here just kill me.  People actually believe that Gus has a superstar sitting the bench, and he’s not gonna give him an opportunity to play, at all. I could go on and on, but I simply can’t understand how Auburn fans can think this way.

25 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I agree, and I probably should keep my mouth shut, but some of the people on here just kill me.  People actually believe that Gus has a superstar sitting the bench, and he’s not gonna give him an opportunity to play, at all. I could go on and on, but I simply can’t understand how Auburn fans can think this way.

Shivers had the huge run against bama. How many other times did he carry the ball that game? Pretty sure that was E's thinking on this. Shivers had some great runs throughout the year, then never got anymore carries after those runs. This is why some of us think this way. Will this change? don't know. 

23 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Shivers had the huge run against bama. How many other times did he carry the ball that game? Pretty sure that was E's thinking on this. Shivers had some great runs throughout the year, then never got anymore carries after those runs. This is why some of us think this way. Will this change? don't know. 

What are the odds that Caddy will be able to influence the RB rotation this year? 

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

What are the odds that Caddy will be able to influence the RB rotation this year? 

Good question. I'm hoping that Dilly will be able to have some influence on the offense this year. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Good question. I'm hoping that Dilly will be able to have some influence on the offense this year. 

These two hires are the only reason for optimism this year, hope springs eternal.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

These two hires are the only reason for optimism this year, hope springs eternal.

I will say, even though they were a "Who?" and a "Huh?", I'm glad that changes were made. So there's that. 

I agree.  A change in the position coaches can instill new blood into our recruiting. 'Lac' as one recruit calls him, needs some seasoning in the cut-throat world of recruiting, but I like that Malzahn is shaking it up some.

I truly doubt Malzahn, who we all realize now is a control freak with his offensive scheming, so I don't expect Cadillac will be that much of an influence on RB subs and such. I hope he can be, but as many on here have posted, our RB rotation has not been great, and at times very confusing, as to who plays when, and who gets the most carries.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Maybe not on the bench, but when Jarrett Stidham blows it up in the NFL and you see how good he could’ve been at AU, you might rethink your statement.

Yeah, I won't hold my breath on that one. The first review I read on Senior Bowl practice talked about Stidham having the best natural throwing motion on the field but holding the ball too long because he doesn't trust his reads. Let's just say, that review didn't surprise me.

As for the RB thing, it's interesting to look back at the offense when Gus was calling plays. We spread carries MUCH better back then. Looking at the top four ball carries, it's actually very consistent.

2009 - Tate 263, McCalebb 105, Burns 56, Fannin 34
2010 - Newton 264, Dyer 182, McCalebb 95, Fannin 61
2011 - Dyer 242, McCalebb 112, Frazier 76, Trotter 36
2013 - Mason 317, Marshall 172, Artis-Payne 91, Grant 66
2014 - Artis-Payne 303, Marshall 153, Grant 60, Thomas 43

Looking at the Purdue game (which is a small sample and was a blow out), we had:

Martin 11, Shivers 11, Whitlow 7, QBs (combined) 7

That looks pretty similar. Given how consistent his distributions have been year-on-year, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that our lead back is going to have around 250 carries. That's roughly 19/game in a 13 game season. Tate was slightly over that; Cam was slightly under (averaging 18 carries/game); Dyer was under; Mason and CAP were 22 & 23/game, respectively. 

Then, I'd expect the second ball carrier to be around 125 carries +/-. That's 9-10 carries/game. Third guy will be 75ish (5-6/game). Fourth is generally around 40 (3/game).

If you told me that was Boobee, Shivers or Martin, starting QB X, and Schwartz, I'd say that's a pretty good mix.

If we could get RB1 to 15-20 carries a game and RB2 to 10-15 carries a game- allowing for variables such as a true run threat at QB like Cam or Nick, another OMac/Grant, maybe a 3rd guy at HB or WR like Fannin, TZach, Rico or Stove- then I don't think you'd hear a single complaint from the peanut gallery. 

Also, Gus was doing a GREAT job of splitting carries between Pettway and KJ early in 2016. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If we could get RB1 to 15-20 carries a game and RB2 to 10-15 carries a game- allowing for variables such as a true run threat at QB like Cam or Nick, another OMac/Grant, maybe a 3rd guy at HB or WR like Fannin, TZach, Rico or Stove- then I don't think you'd hear a single complaint from the peanut gallery. 

Also, Gus was doing a GREAT job of splitting carries between Pettway and KJ early in 2016. 

BCC95E5F-8B02-48C8-8D9A-E64F0A55109E.jpeg

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Isn’t full opportunity directly opposed to sharing carries like many propose in our rb rotation?

43 minutes ago, creed said:

Isn’t full opportunity directly opposed to sharing carries like many propose in our rb rotation?

No. A full opportunity as in getting a real opportunity to make a consistent impact in the offense instead of the random spot touches he gets now. You can have a full opportunity getting 10-15 carries or touches a game opposed to the 5 touches a game he averaged.

10 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just something to consider; maybe since you are so connected with inside information, you should consider asking Gus yourself?

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No. A full opportunity as in getting a real opportunity to make a consistent impact in the offense instead of the random spot touches he gets now. You can have a full opportunity getting 10-15 carries or touches a game opposed to the 5 touches a game he averaged.

It's also not getting completely mothballed for three or four weeks when a guy makes a an error in pass protection or, God forbid, puts the ball on the ground.

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

It's also not getting completely mothballed for three or four weeks when a guy makes a an error in pass protection or, God forbid, puts the ball on the ground.

Exactly!

11 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The same happened to Asa a few times from what I remember and we all know what happened to him!  I like Worm and think he is far more durable than a lot of folks think.  Maybe Caddy can influence Gus better but I am not holding my breath!  Thanks for your knowledge on this site! 

Archived