2019 4* RB Jamious Griffin (Georgia Tech)

ellitor

Just now, McLoofus said:

Cool. So if there's another OL we're going after, he's been evaluated properly and the staff has made the correct decision to pursue him. 

Oh, and I definitely criticize our failure to land the top prospects, too. There's other stuff. Gus and this staff have made a lot of mistakes. 

We've missed on the big dogs, had to resort to Plan B in many cases and Plan B guys are what we have. We probably have properly evaluated whatever Ol guy we're going after now. In all likelihood, he's another Plan B. We'll know he's Plan B when he's signed but it's the best we've been able to do.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

You go find some prospects that can be developed. Then you bring in a great talent developer. You think there aren't any Robert Leffs out there? There are all sorts of 3 star players out there that could be developed into extremely good SEC caliber OLinemen.  Do you think Kentucky, MSU, Memphis, Vandy, USCe, et al has built their programs  on 4* and 5* linemen?

No they weren't built on 4 and 5* prospects. Some recent difficulties with MSU and their QB aside, we whip those schools like red-headed step children. I don't see where their O-lines are better, or even as good as ours. UGA and UAT have better lines than ours. Those weren't built on 2 and 3 star prospects. They were built on 4 and 5* guys we wanted and didn't sign.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No they weren't built on 4 and 5* prospects. Some recent difficulties with MSU and their QB aside, we whip those schools like red-headed step children. I don't see where their O-lines are better, or even as good as ours. UGA and UAT have better lines than ours. Those weren't built on 2 and 3 star prospects. They were built on 4 and 5* guys we wanted and didn't sign.

So of all the NFL OLinemen drafted in the 1st round last year, how many do you think we're 5*?

Answer: 0

There were one 3* and four 4*.  It's not the star rating, it's the measureables and their development. We aren't bringing in prototypical tackles...at all. And the linemen we do bring in are not being developed. Period. That's a failure on the OL coach in their development, the recruiting coordinator for identification, and the head coach for keeping those two coaches. 

This year was one of the deepest and strongest OL classes in recent history. Our biggest identified need was OL. What do we do? We go out and land two guards and are scrambling and hoping for a possible grad transfer again. Genius

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This year was one of the deepest and strongest OL classes in recent history. Our biggest identified need was OL. What do we do? We go out and land two guards and are scrambling and hoping for a possible grad transfer again. Genius

But we're already 3 deep at every OL spot. That's why we were able to rotate centers like we did last season. Because we had 3 awesome ones who were all equally deserving of the reps.

Blah blah blah Jamious Griffin blah blah blah

Here we go again putting down Jones and Osburne, thats great on social media. By the way did you notice the right tackle for Oklahoma who put up 34 on UAT was a 6'4" converted guard? The two guys we have are good prospects, period. We just need at least 2 more. Finally, we got better on the OL as the year went along so somebody was coaching there tail off. Unless you go to practices and watch how coach Grimes coaches i would not be so quick to say he cannot develop OLs.

1 hour ago, auol72 said:

Here we go again putting down Jones and Osburne,

And again @auol72 no we aren't. I'm not sure how you pull that out of the frustrations most of us have for OL over the past number of seasons. I could be wrong but I have not seen anyone say anything bad about those 2.  The problem is though they are 2 good ones when we really need 5 good ones out of a class that had many options.

If they read what was said i feel sure they would have a different feeling, but whatever. Yall have at it. By the way did yall play P5 college football or coach in College? Just wondering.

1 hour ago, auol72 said:

Here we go again putting down Jones and Osburne, thats great on social media. By the way did you notice the right tackle for Oklahoma who put up 34 on UAT was a 6'4" converted guard? The two guys we have are good prospects, period. We just need at least 2 more. Finally, we got better on the OL as the year went along so somebody was coaching there tail off. Unless you go to practices and watch  how coach Grimes coaches i would not be so quick to say he cannot develop OLs.

Speaking of offensive linemen and Grimes, did you happen to see the Braden Smith @RT vs JJ Watts matchup over the weekend ? They tried Clowney on Smitty first and that was a joke. Then Watts went heads up with Smitty and couldn't do anything either. Watts was neutralized straight up and when he tried to go around the outside, Smitty just pushed him around the circle. Watts had nothing for him. Smith went from an all SEC guard out of necessity for the OL to having a chance to be a great NFL right tackle. It was a very impressive performance.

3 hours ago, auol72 said:

Here we go again putting down Jones and Osburne...

Please show where anyone has out them down.

For me, I think Jones is gonna be our next "great" lineman. To criticize our lack of OL signees and less than stellar development (especially the last 3-4 years) is not personal. To not think there isn't a glaring issue with it is baffling.

44 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Speaking of offensive linemen and Grimes, did you happen to see the Braden Smith @RT vs JJ Watts matchup over the weekend ? They tried Clowney on Smitty first and that was a joke. Then Watts went heads up with Smitty and couldn't do anything either. Watts was neutralized straight up and when he tried to go around the outside, Smitty just pushed him around the circle. Watts had nothing for him. Smith went from an all SEC guard out of necessity for the OL to having a chance to be a great NFL right tackle. It was a very impressive performance.

Didn't Grimes recruit him to be a tackle originally. He has been a lock down tackle since they put him in the starting lineup. It is funny he was the second guard taken by Indianapolis in the second round and many thought they shouldn't have taken him there at the time.  He is 6'6" 310 pounds was a weight room fanatic and put up great numbers at the combine and yet nobody saw him as a tackle and most did not think he deserved to go in the second round.  Grimes also coached Greg Robinson and Shon Coleman so there is a lot of proof he can coach.

I get the people who harp on Grimes not being a great recruiter but he has an eye for talent. If Gus will let him evaluate O-Line talent and then get some of his better recruiters to help with getting the prospects to sign I believe Auburn O-Line can get back to where it belongs. From what I have heard he doesn't really let Grimes evaluate prospects if true that is a crime.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

And the linemen we do bring in are not being developed. Period.

You don't think our OL developed at all this year?  Not being critical, just asking your professional opinion.  From an untrained eye, they really seemed to improve as the season wore on and Tega had vastly improved.  Again, not being critical.

14 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

You don't think our OL developed at all this year?  Not being critical, just asking your professional opinion.  From an untrained eye, they really seemed to improve as the season wore on and Tega had vastly improved.  Again, not being critical.

From where they started to the end, yes they did.

However, Grimes had them since March. If they improved that much in 3 months during the season, why in the 6 months prior to the season did they not and why were they so pathetic in the beginning?  

3 hours ago, auol72 said:

If they read what was said i feel sure they would have a different feeling, but whatever. Yall have at it. By the way did yall play P5 college football or coach in College? Just wondering.

You’re the worst 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Didn't Grimes recruit him to be a tackle originally. He has been a lock down tackle since they put him in the starting lineup. It is funny he was the second guard taken by Indianapolis in the second round and many thought they shouldn't have taken him there at the time.  He is 6'6" 310 pounds was a weight room fanatic and put up great numbers at the combine and yet nobody saw him as a tackle and most did not think he deserved to go in the second round.  Grimes also coached Greg Robinson and Shon Coleman so there is a lot of proof he can coach.

I get the people who harp on Grimes not being a great recruiter but he has an eye for talent. If Gus will let him evaluate O-Line talent and then get some of his better recruiters to help with getting the prospects to sign I believe Auburn O-Line can get back to where it belongs. From what I have heard he doesn't really let Grimes evaluate prospects if true that is a crime.

Yes he sure did. Smitty could play both and moved inside to help out the OL. Now that Smitty is playing NFL tackle full time he has worked a lot on his footwork at tackle vs guard. His quickness at RT was noticeable when he handled Watts. Once he was in position it was game over with his strength matching that of Watts. 

There was one play that gave me a good laugh. Watts was on an outside move and put a right hand grab on the front collar of Smitty's pads and fully extended his arm. Smitty knocked off Watt's hand grab, got his own hands on Watt's torso and pushed Watt's ass on the ground. It was great, lol, there were several other Smitty highlight plays too. 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

And again @auol72 no we aren't. I'm not sure how you pull that out of the frustrations most of us have for OL over the past number of seasons. I could be wrong but I have not seen anyone say anything bad about those 2.  The problem is though they are 2 good ones when we really need 5 good ones out of a class that had many options.

Hey Ellitor! Who is the person on your ID? Looks like a wrestler or someone huge into body building! You have had some interesting characters for your profile. Thanks for all of the information you have given us & it is much appreciated by the doc!

6 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Hey Ellitor! Who is the person on your ID? Looks like a wrestler or someone huge into body building! You have had some interesting characters for your profile. Thanks for all of the information you have given us & it is much appreciated by the doc!

It's just one of those dadgum champeen 'rasslers that Ellitor hangs out with.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Hey Ellitor! Who is the person on your ID? Looks like a wrestler or someone huge into body building! You have had some interesting characters for your profile.

Former IWGP World Champion & currently the hottest free agent in wrestling, Kenny Omega. I do need to change my avi though.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Thanks for all of the information you have given us & it is much appreciated by the doc! 

You're welcome Doc!

2 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

It's just one of those dadgum champeen 'rasslers that Ellitor hangs out with.

And this one's from Canada eh. Lol

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Former IWGP World Champion & currently the hottest free agent in wrestling, Kenny Omega. I do need to change my avi though.

You're welcome Doc!

I do enjoy your choices for your IDs!  I stick with my Corgis in that they inspire me to be the best I can be!

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

You're welcome Doc!

He's coming to WWE according to the rumor mill. Possibly Royal Rumble! Will be interesting to see how this plays out...

Oh right, Jamious Griffin... Yeah we need to get him. Any chance we can still get MAR to come in as an LB?

Or maybe convince to play Ironman football? Heavy package on O, Little bit of D, and kick return? That'd be cool

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

If they improved that much in 3 months during the season, why in the 6 months prior to the season did they not and why were they so pathetic in the beginning?  

I am not a coach like you, but my theory (which I have mentioned before so I apologize for beating a dead horse) is that Hand really did not develop at all.  It may have appeared that he developed Horton and Harrell last year, but that was more to the effect that he was able to hide them behind the other three studs of OL.  Kind of like what you can do in basketball in hiding your worst defender. So this year J.B. had to start from ground zero, which takes time as you know for an OL to be game ready.  In most case at least a year.  The time periods are almost dead accurate for my thinking.

19 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

From what I have heard he doesn't really let Grimes evaluate prospects if true that is a crime.

I've seen that posted here too. I'd have to see some confirmation about that from an independent, unbiased source. It doesn't make any sense and when something doesn't make any sense it's probably BS.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I'd have to see some confirmation about that from an independent, unbiased source. 

giphy.gif

Archived