2019 4* RB Jamious Griffin (Georgia Tech)

ellitor

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We did? Sure looked like he was after his AU OV last week when it seemed like AU wasn't pushing for him.

I wouldn't say dwindled but it has become a competition with UGA.

Regardless we need 1 of the 2.

Once He started getting late pushes from other schools I didnt see any way this kid stuck with NC ST. . ...maybe I should have said "I didnt expect him to stay with NCST"

Yes....as of the last two weeks i would say chances have dwindled from what they were.....we were the favorite right.....Miami was trending down....Now UGA is a major threat....yes we still have a good chance but dwindled (reduced significantly from what they were) down from what they were say 2 weeks ago before UGA visit. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Once He started getting late pushes from other schools I didnt see any way this kid stuck with NC ST. . 

When did we know other schools were pushing before he decommitted? There had been no info on it from AU's sources end...which may be concerning IMO.

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

i would say chances have dwindled from what they were

You're right. I though dwindled meant low chance overall, not just simply a lower chance than before.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

When did we know other schools were pushing before he decommitted? There had been no info on it from AU's sources end...which may be concerning IMO.

You're right. I though dwindled meant low chance overall, not just simply a lower chance than before.

Yes thats what i meant by Dwindled. As far as JG.....I thought i remembered reading an Article a few weeks back that GT was making a push for him and then we were kinda playing him so It seemed interest from other schools was about to take off IMO ....maybe I am mistaken some info i read in regards to MAR with Griffin....

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Yes thats what i meant by Dwindled. As far as JG.....I thought i remembered reading an Article a few weeks back that GT was making a push for him and then we were kinda playing him so It seemed interest from other schools was about to take off IMO 

Well

giphy.gif

• ellitor changed the title to 2019 4* RB Jamious Griffin (NC State decommit 1/21/19)
Just now, ellitor said:

Beat me to it by a minute. Lol

He would have been a perfect fit in Gus's offense as a every down back. I just shake my head sometimes at what Gus is thinking. Tunnel vision I guess? Locks onto a guy and no matter what will keep on and on with the kid. Like the Cain recruitment. Hell even Horton was telling Gus AU needed to move on from Cain. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He would have been a perfect fit in Gus's offense as a every down back. I just shake my head sometimes at what Gus is thinking. Tunnel vision I guess? Locks onto a guy and no matter what will keep on and on with the kid. Like the Cain recruitment. Hell even Horton was telling Gus AU needed to move on from Cain. 

Gus sticking with something even if it's not working? Say it ain't so. 

31 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Kid may be a superstar but how many Sec offers did he get? Surely Gus is not the only one slow playing this kid. 

26 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Kid may be a superstar but how many Sec offers did he get? Surely Gus is not the only one slow playing this kid. 

While offers are a good tool, they aren't the end-all-be-all. Evey staff misevaluates kids every year.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Kid is going to GT. Shame. He's going to be a real good RB. GT has put together a pretty good staff. 

giphy.gif

We already have DJ Williams signed in this class. From the outside looking in, the two are very similar except Williams is faster. I'm not seeing the angst over slow-playing Griffin. We'd only take Griffin if MAR doesn't choose Auburn and if we miss on both, there will still be six RB's reporting for fall camp, barring the unexpected.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Kid is going to GT. Shame. He's going to be a real good RB. GT has put together a pretty good staff. 

Not all bad.  Maybe UGA will no longer keep having a cakewalk.  I have been saying this for years about GT.  Worst head coach in football under their former HC.  Sat in a hotbed of talent, and if they were 4* or better basically said he preferred his teams to be terrible, to go to UGA instead.  GT and Tennessee on the rise means UGA actually needs to have effort during the regular season.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not all bad.  Maybe UGA will no longer keep having a cakewalk.  I have been saying this for years about GT.  Worst head coach in football under their former HC.  Sat in a hotbed of talent, and if they were 4* or better basically said he preferred his teams to be terrible, to go to UGA instead.  GT and Tennessee on the rise means UGA actually needs to have effort during the regular season.

He ran the triple option. I mean come on.  Not exactly going to attract top tier talent doing that. Not a lot of top flight kids are jumping at the bit to go play in that. He just needed guys who would fit in his system to a T. He went 82-61 at Ga Tech. Not bad. Very solid job. PJ is a pretty good coach.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We'd only take Griffin if MAR doesn't choose Auburn

May not be the case. We have room for both. WDE has also said we would take both FWIW.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

there will still be six RB's reporting for fall camp, barring the unexpected. 

5 for sure. Joiner may stay at HB. With those 5 there is still a shortage on feature backs. Boobee & DJ are the only sure fire the staff will see as feature backs. DJ may not get many feature touches though  being a true freshman given Gus's history there. I think Shivers can be a feature RB but not sure the staff agrees. We need another RB on roster Gus sees as a feature back.

Just now, ellitor said:

May not be the case. We have room for both. WDE has also said we would take both FWIW.

5 for sure. Joiner may stay at HB. With those 5 there is still a shortage on feature backs. Boobee & DJ are the only sure fire the staff will see as feature backs. DJ may not get many feature touches though  being a true freshman given Gus's history there. I think Shivers can be a feature RB but not sure the staff agrees. We need another RB on roster Gus sees as a feature back.

Joiner can be put where ever he's needed most. That's flexible up until the last week of fall practice. The grad transfer should help at H-back. The staff will have six RB guys to work with. If they can't get it done with six I don't see how signing a 3*  seventh would make any difference. DJ Williams is an EE and will go through Spring practice. He'd be far ahead of Griffin anyway, barring injury.

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He ran the triple option. I mean come on.  Not exactly going to attract top tier talent doing that. Not a lot of top flight kids are jumping at the bit to go play in that. He just needed guys who would fit in his system to a T. He went 82-61 at Ga Tech. Not bad. Very solid job. PJ is a pretty good coach.

With that triple option where all they do is run, he should be getting top-flight RB's and he wasn't.  And his record is a joke, just like he would always say he went to the conference championship every other year.  Look at their schedule, it is worse then UGA's.  The only two teams they play are Clemson and UGA.  And I'm not just saying this either, this comes from graduates as well.  My brother is a GT graduate and hated Johnson.  Tech tried giving away tickets for free and still couldn't get people to show up.  Georgia Tech has the opportunity to be just like Stanford, a really good school with a great football program.  I am mad at Georgia Tech because I want them to be good.  And now they have an opportunity.  Let's see what they can do!

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not to mention Tech's academic standards. It's not a place where anyone's going to win big anymore IMO. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not to mention Tech's academic standards. It's not a place where anyone's going to win big anymore IMO. 

I think the right coach can do well there given all the talent close by. Is the academic standards higher at Stanford? They have competed with the right coaches.

Just now, ellitor said:

I think the right coach can do well there given all the talent close by. Is the academic standards higher at Stanford? They have competed with the right coaches.

Yeah. Guess it's just a matter of "right coach" and "do well". They'll get a James Franklin or somebody and have good seasons but, like Stanford, they're probably not going to win anything major. David Shaw is incredible and he's doing amazing things at Stanford but they've found their ceiling IMO. They haven't won their division or conference since 2015 and haven't been to the playoff or played for a national championship. And, if I'm not mistaken, that's in a conference that hasn't sent anybody to the playoff yet. Don't get me wrong, I don't want any piece of Stanford. But I don't think they're a program that would make much noise in the SEC or even ACC. Just like Oregon or Washington. Could be wrong, though.

Sorry. I know we've gone far afield here. I'll try not to get us any further off track. 

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

With that triple option where all they do is run, he should be getting top-flight RB's and he wasn't.  And his record is a joke, just like he would always say he went to the conference championship every other year.  Look at their schedule, it is worse then UGA's.  The only two teams they play are Clemson and UGA.  And I'm not just saying this either, this comes from graduates as well.  My brother is a GT graduate and hated Johnson.  Tech tried giving away tickets for free and still couldn't get people to show up.  Georgia Tech has the opportunity to be just like Stanford, a really good school with a great football program.  I am mad at Georgia Tech because I want them to be good.  And now they have an opportunity.  Let's see what they can do!

Why would running the triple option help them get top flight rbs? What NFL system is running the triple option? That is not going to help them attract top tier talent. It is a detractor if anything. Also just because there is a lot of talent in the area does not mean GA Tech is going to get them. Georgia, Clemson, Us and Bama will all always recruit the Atlanta area better than them. So at best they would be fifth in the pecking order. People will point to Stanford. I do not see them landing a Jim Harbaugh level of coach who can turn this thing around for them. A guy who totally changes the culture at a dormant program. Tech will continue to be who they are and have been for some time and that is a solid program. I do not think they will get below that but I also do not think they can become better either.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Joiner can be put where ever he's needed most. That's flexible up until the last week of fall practice. The grad transfer should help at H-back. The staff will have six RB guys to work with. If they can't get it done with six I don't see how signing a 3*  seventh would make any difference. DJ Williams is an EE and will go through Spring practice. He'd be far ahead of Griffin anyway, barring injury.

You keep saying 6 RB's. AU will have two that are the every down RB that Gus needs to be successful. Bobbie and now Williams. Need to add a 3rd RB like these two so at the end of the year we will have at least one healthy RB. This has been a problem the last 4 years. This isn't hard. The others will have their niche in this offense but everyone including you knows what I mean about having a every down back. 

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why would running the triple option help them get top flight rbs? What NFL system is running the triple option? That is not going to help them attract top tier talent. It is a detractor if anything. Also just because there is a lot of talent in the area does not mean GA Tech is going to get them. Georgia, Clemson, Us and Bama will all always recruit the Atlanta area better than them. So at best they would be fifth in the pecking order. People will point to Stanford. I do not see them landing a Jim Harbaugh level of coach who can turn this thing around for them. Tech will continue to be who they are and have been for some time and that is a solid program. I do not think they will get below that but I also do not think they can become better either.

Exactly. And 3 of those schools are within 90 minutes of downtown Atlanta, with Athens and even Clemson being a much easier drive for people in the northern burbs where most of the talent is. Now you've got Pruitt at UT, Gainesville isn't terribly far away, Tallahassee not much further than that, numerous other schools in the region with more stroke than Tech.

Also, one thing to keep in mind about Tech is that you can listen to Atlanta sports radio for a week straight and not hear a single thing said about them other than scores and recruiting news. Tech doesn't actually get discussed in their own city at all. Nobody cares. 

The first Atlanta United games were at Bobby Dodd because the Benz wasn't finished in time. I went to a game with a Tech fan. It was a sellout. I asked if he'd ever seen that many people at a Tech game. He said not even close unless uga's in town, and even then everybody's wearing red. I saw Calvin Johnson play there against UVA in a night game and even then the stadium was only about 2/3 full. 

Archived