2019 4* RB Jamious Griffin (Georgia Tech)

ellitor

12 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Yeah, IMO he's a more natural RB that's going to fit Gus's scheme better,

Maybe but we have his style covered with DJ & with more speed. I think MAR compliments DJ better but would be happy to get either one.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mar gives a different Style that will compliment our current signee better that said if on his official visit if he says yes would it be first come first recruited or do we take a chance and wait on MAR. While I would prefer MAR I like both and my choice would be first one to say they will sign with us.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

if he says yes would it be first come first recruited or do we take a chance and wait on MAR.

Not sure the staff will ask that on his OV.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Maybe but we have his style covered with DJ & with more speed. I think MAR compliments DJ better but would be happy to get either one.

I just like Griffin. MAR is super athletic and maybe a better compliment but it just seems he's not into Auburn as much as we are into him. 

6 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

seems he's not into Auburn as much as we are into him.

Interesting. I haven't gotten that impression. Time will tell though.

I'm not sold on the idea that we need even one more RB. We didn't lose anybody to graduation. Coming back we'll have one senior, one junior, two sophs, one RS freshman and one signee. The two sophs will likely be #1&2 to start the season. That's six for one position, unless Joiner is a permanent H-back, in which case we've still got 5 for one position.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm not sold on the idea that we need even one more RB. We didn't lose anybody to graduation. Coming back we'll have one senior, one junior, two sophs, one RS freshman and one signee. The two sophs will likely be #1&2 to start the season. That's six for one position, unless Joiner is a permanent H-back, in which case we've still got 5 for one position.

Need,yes. Absolutely gotta have, maybe not. If you can find one you like you better take him. Don’t waste to get thin like oline now.

Just now, alexava said:

Need,yes. Absolutely gotta have, maybe not. If you can find one you like you better take him. Don’t waste to get thin like oline now.

This belongs in another thread, but the O-line isn't thin. All 5 starters eligible and likely to return. Three deep+ across the board. I think the talent level should be better, but the numbers there are better than some other positions.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Miller, God love him, simply isn't Power 5 RB material. Maybe it was the injury, but he's just slooow.

Joiner? Who knows what we'll see outta him. 

I guess we could fire up the old is-KMart-every-down-material debate again. Nah...no need. Shivers is a complement.

So I think we need 2 every down RBs in this class. 

2 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Miller, God love him, simply isn't Power 5 RB material. Maybe it was the injury, but he's just slooow.

Joiner? Who knows what we'll see outta him. 

I guess we could fire up the old is-KMart-every-down-material debate again. Nah...no need. Shivers is a complement.

So I think we need 2 every down RBs in this class.

That's fair.

2 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Shivers is a complement.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. Plus, signee Edwards was signed as an every down back.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

This belongs in another thread, but the O-line isn't thin. All 5 starters eligible and likely to return. Three deep+ across the board. I think the talent level should be better, but the numbers there are better than some other positions.

I don’t know that we are 3 deep at tackle. Some of these guys that have the “OT” next to their name are not really tackles.

Just now, alexava said:

I don’t know that we are 3 deep at tackle. Some of these guys that have the “OT” next to their name are not really tackles.

Or not quality ones at least.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. Plus, signee Edwards was signed as an every down back.

Who’s Edwards?

Oops! I meant Williams. My bad.

You had me doing a double check on my marbles. I’m almost got excited that we had another RB I forgot all about.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

You had me doing a double check on my marbles. I’m almost got excited that we had another RB I forgot all about.

Heck! I thought he was talking about the bruiser from Florida that nobody has offered as a running back right now.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's been hashed out in other threads. You litteraly are the only one that thinks we have depth on the OL.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

It's been hashed out in other threads. You litteraly are the only one that thinks we have depth on the OL.

I didn't say we have quality depth. I do say we have depth. Add to that at least four and possibly all five starters return and I don't see a crying need to load up on borderline prospects. Borderline prospects are the reason we don't have QUALITY OL depth now. Who are the top-of-the-line Ol prospects we have a chance with at this point? I hope there are a few but I don't know who they are. Our current reserves were as highly rated as most of what's left on the open market today

Just now, Mikey said:

I didn't say we have quality depth. I do say we have depth. Add to that at least four and possibly all five starters return and I don't see a crying need to load up on borderline prospects. Borderline prospects are the reason we don't have QUALITY OL depth now. Who are the top-of-the-line Ol prospects we have a chance with at this point? I hope there are a few but I don't know who they are. Our current reserves were as highly rated as most of what's left on the open market today

Again, if you don't have quality you don't have depth.

If your starters goes down, who are you going to replace them with? The admittedly non-quality depth? How is that supposed to be successful?

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If your starters goes down, who are you going to replace them with? The admittedly non-quality depth? How is that supposed to be successful?

At this point in time, what's your solution for 2019? Throw scholarships at players that aren't any better than our current backups? As far as I can tell virtually all the prospects that might have provided instant help with this situation have already signed elsewhere. We've watched for the past several years as this went on. Big target after big target visited Auburn, left with positive comments and then chose to sign with Florida, UGA, UAT and so forth. This year was no different. It's not that we aren't trying to get them because we are. We're not closing.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What's funny is that it's Gus's infallible player evaluation that guides these decisions. You'd think that the same guy knows exactly what Kam Martin and Nate Craig Myers are capable of knows whether or not we need to at least try to get some better OLs. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

What's funny is that it's Gus's infallible player evaluation that guides these decisions.

There's been nothing wrong with player evaluations. I could start back with Martez Ivey and come forward with any number of great prospects that "Gus has evaluated and wanted". He got them to visit here. If you want to criticize, a good target would be not landing the many top prospects that have been here. There's no problem with evaluation, the problem has been with not getting the actual signature.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There's been nothing wrong with player evaluations. I could start back with Martez Ivey and come forward with any number of great prospects that "Gus has evaluated and wanted". He got them to visit here. If you want to criticize, a good target would be not landing the many top prospects that have been here. There's no problem with evaluation, the problem has been with not getting the actual signature.

Cool. So if there's another OL we're going after, he's been evaluated properly and the staff has made the correct decision to pursue him. 

Oh, and I definitely criticize our failure to land the top prospects, too. There's other stuff. Gus and this staff have made a lot of mistakes. 

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

At this point in time, what's your solution for 2019? Throw scholarships at players that aren't any better than our current backups? As far as I can tell virtually all the prospects that might have provided instant help with this situation have already signed elsewhere. We've watched for the past several years as this went on. Big target after big target visited Auburn, left with positive comments and then chose to sign with Florida, UGA, UAT and so forth. This year was no different. It's not that we aren't trying to get them because we are. We're not closing.

You go find some prospects that can be developed. Then you bring in a great talent developer. You think there aren't any Robert Leffs out there? There are all sorts of 3 star players out there that could be developed into extremely good SEC caliber OLinemen.  Do you think Kentucky, MSU, Memphis, Vandy, USCe, et al has built their programs  on 4* and 5* linemen?

Archived