Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

Updated (12/09/18) - Asa Martin to transfer

Dt7EyoOXQAAX60U.jpg

Updated (12/06/18): Auburn botches Asa's redshirt ...

What is Asa Martin’s role for Auburn the rest of the season?
By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

For all that Auburn’s freshman class has produced on offense this season — from Boobee Whitlow and Shaun Shivers to Anthony Schwartz and Seth Williams — one highly touted newcomer has been relatively absent this season: Asa Martin.

The former four-star running back and reigning Alabama Mr. Football has had a minimal impact for Auburn this season despite coach Gus Malzahn saying last week that Martin would not be redshirting this year. So, with four games remaining on the Tigers’ regular-season slate — plus a potential bowl game, should Auburn win at least one more game — what is Martin’s role the remainder of his freshman year?

“Asa is going to compete with the other running backs just like the other ones are,” Malzahn said Tuesday. “He is out there, and today he had a very solid practice.”

Despite enrolling early and getting a head start on many of his fellow freshmen by going through spring practices — and impressing both Malzahn and running backs coach Tim Horton with his footwork and ability to change direction — Martin has ostensibly been relegated to fifth on Auburn’s depth chart at running back behind Whitlow, Shivers, Malik Miller and Kam Martin.

According to Auburn’s official stats, Asa Martin has appeared in four games this season, recording three carries for 14 yards and two receptions for 36 yards, as well as one kickoff return for 18 yards. All of those numbers came in Auburn’s games against Alabama State, LSU, Southern Miss and Mississippi State.

Despite his game log showing just four appearances this season, Asa Martin has actually seen the field in five games as a freshman.

During Auburn’s 34-3 win against Arkansas on Sept. 22, Asa Martin took the field late in the first half, when the Tigers took over at the Razorbacks’ 9-yard line with 3:08 to go until halftime following a partially blocked punt by Jordyn Peters. On first down, Auburn went shotgun with a split backfield behind Jarrett Stidham — with Whitlow lined up to the right behind the quarterback and Asa Martin on the left side. Asa Martin motioned out to the right, but before the Tigers could snap the ball, Auburn was called for delay of game.

That backed the offense up 5 yards, and on the ensuing first-down play, Asa Martin was back on the sideline and did not see the field again for the remainder of the game. Because of the penalty, Asa Martin did not appear in the official game participation report, but he still saw the field in a fifth game.

Under the NCAA’s new redshirt rule, players can appear in up to four games while still being able to redshirt and not lose a year of eligibility. Malzahn said last week that Asa Martin will not redshirt this season, though it is unclear if Asa Martin’s unofficial appearance against Arkansas will count against him with the NCAA’s rule. The NCAA did not immediately respond to an AL.com request for clarification on Wednesday.

“He’ll have a chance to help us on special teams and situations with our running back,” Malzahn said.

After Malzahn’s remarks last week, Asa Martin did not see the field during Auburn’s 31-16 win at Ole Miss — even with Whitlow exiting late in the third quarter with an undisclosed injury and the game well in hand by the fourth quarter. Whitlow, Shivers, Miller and Kam Martin all recorded carries at running back against the Rebels.

Malzahn added last week that Auburn “could” get more out of Asa Martin than just a couple of snaps here and there this season.

“There’s a lot of good competition in the running back room right now,” Malzahn said. “So, each practice has a lot to do with that, and so we’ll see where that goes.”

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m hoping the NCAA doesn’t count the 5th game and he can redshirt. I’d hope they wouldn’t burn a redshirt year for a handful of meaningless snaps and some special teams plays. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Asa Martin
46 minutes ago, Linayus said:

So what is Asa's problem? Fumbling? Terrible pass protection? Attitude? :gofig:

I gotta believe he’s way behind in some department if every other rb saw the field last week.  Joiner definitely redshirting at this point

This article was not really about Asa’s role on the team. It was a typical AL.COM piece to take a shot at AU, and infer that our coaches bungled his redshirt year. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

This article was not really about Asa’s role on the team. It was a typical AL.COM piece to take a shot at AU, and infer that our coaches bungled his redshirt year. 

agree …..though it would have been nice for clear cut decision about A.M......and I guess Horton or Lindsey (or some GA) should be keeping up with stuff like this and maybe making a deliberate decision on the matter rather than stumbling into it.  I sorta agree with the writer on the issue. 

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

agree …..though it would have been nice for clear cut decision about A.M......and I guess Horton or Lindsey (or some GA) should be keeping up with stuff like this and maybe making a deliberate decision on the matter rather than stumbling into it.  I sorta agree with the writer on the issue. 

Yes, the subject matter is an important one, and I’m fine with the content. I just hate when a journalist tries to mask their intent.

watch Asa hit the field and run up and down the field on the way to a 100 plus yard rushing in an upcoming game. This is the way it plays out for us. There is a history of us having reserve backs bursting on the scene and making a big splash in a huge way.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

watch Asa hit the field and run up and down the field on the way to a 100 plus yard rushing in an upcoming game. This is the way it plays out for us. There is a history of us having reserve backs bursting on the scene and making a big splash in a huge way.

Ronnie Brown came out of nowhere when Caddy broke his leg against Florida.

7 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m hoping the NCAA doesn’t count the 5th game and he can redshirt. I’d hope they wouldn’t burn a redshirt year for a handful of meaningless snaps and some special teams plays. 

Why would the NCAA do that when they give you four full games to screw around with without penalty?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Why would the NCAA do that when they give you four full games to screw around with without penalty?

Exactly. But if I read right, one game he was on the field one play and it was penalized before the snap voiding the play. So there wasn’t a handful of plays there was one play that didn’t even happen. 

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Ronnie Brown came out of nowhere when Caddy broke his leg against Florida.

It would be nice to have that happen again without the broken leg. 

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

unfortunately, we need more of these shots so the people that matter at Auburn feel some pressure. wont result to much, but publicizing how idiotic that mistake is goes a long way in the grand scheme of things 

Why was even used anyway? Like if the play was ran he would've burnt it just to be a decoy...

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

unfortunately, we need more of these shots so the people that matter at Auburn feel some pressure. wont result to much, but publicizing how idiotic that mistake is goes a long way in the grand scheme of things 

Why was even used anyway? Like if the play was ran he would've burnt it just to be a decoy...

If our staff blew it, they blew it and I’m fine with reporting it. But make the headline, “Did AU Coaches Blow Martin’s Redhsirt?”. Thats all I’m saying. But the whole redshirt thing is way overrated now, anyway. How many running backs spend 5 years on a college campus in the SEC these days? With rare exception, major contributors are gone in 3-4 years. 

Maybe Asa told the coaches he didn't want to redshirt. Plus he was one of the freshmen who could help the team in other ways other than just running back this year. I don't know I'm  just speculating like the rest of you.

I don't see what the big deal is. If he turns out to be a real stud then he is only probably here 3 years or 4 at the most, so we haven't lost anything. If he does not turn out to be that good then he will get buried on the depth chart as the years go by.

Asa was the recruit I was most excited about this year.  Dude had crazy stats in high school.  Something must be going on in practice.  Other than Boobie, haven't seen much out of the running backs that would warrant not giving Asa a shot.

30 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Kerryon Johnson?

I didnt know he was Mr Football,   But clint mosley,  Jeremey johnson, roc thomas dont exactly bring the success rate up. 

Tate and Matthews have asked constantly about why he's not getting snaps in a depleted RB group. Not starting rumors(Mods), but they assume there's something going on that's gotten him in the doghouse with Gus.

Archived