Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

The cumulative effect of an inept O has put a LOT of mileage on the bodies of the defensive players, not to mention the impact on their mental well being.  We all knew this was going come, especially late in the season.  This is no surprise. 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Even on Auburn’s first defensive series of the  game the D allowed a 13 play 6 minute drive and a FG. Immediately after halftime the D gave up another 8 play drive for a TD. Are we seriously going to blame the offense for that too? 

I have no problem with the way they played in the fourth, but it’s not like they’re helping themselves out by getting off the field. Losing the TOP battle is a disappointment on multiple fronts. 

The defense didn't play well early in the game.  Sometimes it may take a series or two for a defense to establish a rythym.  Yes, I'll blame the offense to a large degree for the first defensive series of the second half, because it was the inept offense that left the defense on the field for too much time in the first half  

The defense has consistently held their end of the bargain for most of the season while the offense has consistently not executed well at all and failed to hold their end of the bargain.  The overall lack of offensive production this season is inexcusable when considering the level of athletes that have sgined with Auburn over the last several years.  Our entire defense has been retooled in the last 3 years while the offense of our "genius" head coach has largely regressed.  

Finally, while I find the prospect of Hugh Freeze as the offensive coordinator very intriguing, any scenario that involves Gus roaming the sidelines doesn't excite me at all.  I've been one of Gus's most vocal supporters until the MSU and UT losses, but I've finally had enough of his ineptitude.

3 hours ago, gctiger said:

Yes, I'll blame the offense to a large degree for the first defensive series of the second half, because it was the inept offense that left the defense on the field for too much time in the first half  

I’m all for giving the defense the benefit of the doubt but that’s absurd. They were able to recover in the locker room during half time for twenty minutes maybe and there is also something called a two deep. The TOP wasn’t that drastic either. Maybe a 5 minute differential at that point. 

3 hours ago, gctiger said:

he defense has consistently held their end of the bargain for most of the season while the offense has consistently not executed well at all and failed to hold their end of the bargain.  The overall lack of offensive production this season is inexcusable when considering the level of athletes that have sgined with Auburn over the last several years.  Our entire defense has been retooled in the last 3 years while the offense of our "genius" head coach has largely regressed.  

Finally, while I find the prospect of Hugh Freeze as the offensive coordinator very intriguing, any scenario that involves Gus roaming the sidelines doesn't excite me at all.  I've been one of Gus's most vocal supporters until the MSU and UT losses, but I've finally had enough of his ineptitude.

I cannot figure out why when we are talking about TOP, everyone has to also regurgitate  all of the other run of the mill, irrelevant antiGus info into tbe conversation as well. I’m just talking TOP, man. I have no doubt that Gus has you so enraged rn, that if the cashier made a snide remark about Kevin Steele, you would lean over the belt and choke that B out. 

Our defense is 92nd in tbe country in opponent plays per game. Meanwhile, our offense isn’t helping our defense as they are 98th in offensive plays per game. We can be very proud that we have a formidable elastic defense that can bend, but doesn’t break. That’s still TOP though. That’s all I’m saying. 

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m all for giving the defense the benefit of the doubt but that’s absurd. They were able to recover in the locker room during half time for twenty minutes maybe and there is also something called a two deep. The TOP wasn’t that drastic either. Maybe a 5 minute differential at that point. 

I cannot figure out why when we are talking about TOP, everyone has to also regurgitate  all of the other run of the mill, irrelevant antiGus info into tbe conversation as well. I’m just talking TOP, man. I have no doubt that Gus has you so enraged rn, that if the cashier made a snide remark about Kevin Steele, you would lean over the belt and choke that B out. 

Our defense is 92nd in tbe country in opponent plays per game. Meanwhile, our offense isn’t helping our defense as they are 98th in offensive plays per game. We can be very proud that we have a formidable elastic defense that can bend, but doesn’t break. That’s still TOP though. That’s all I’m saying. 

The TOP also likely has terrible effect on the moral of the defense.

Gus has had nearly 6 years to get things in order and he’s now being paid roughly $7 million per year and look what we are getting in return.  It’s ALL on Gus! 

I’m all for hitting the reset and cleaning house, but I suppose you’re for another contract extension.  To each his own.  

16 minutes ago, gctiger said:

The TOP also likely has terrible effect on the moral of the defense.

I get that. It can seem like a futile exercise at times, but too often our offense is still either within striking distance when we give up drives or immediately after one of our rare TDs. If we were losing big. Yeah you got a point. 

21 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I’m all for hitting the reset and cleaning house, but I suppose you’re for another contract extension.

Are you serious Clark? We should do it the Supreme Court way. He should have a position for life!!

I’m kidding. I’ve actually been very vocal about Gus would and should already be fired if for no stupid contract. 

24 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Gus has had nearly 6 years to get things in order and he’s now being paid roughly $7 million per year and look what we are getting in return.  It’s ALL on Gus! 

I’ve gotten that impression. Even Zeek said during the game thread: “we are missing way too many tackles, Gus should be fired now!” I guess I seem like a Gus apologist for not completely laying everything at Gus’s feet,  but there are plenty of things that Gus is doing wrong to justify his hot seat without attributing all of our woes to him. 

55 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I get that. It can seem like a futile exercise at times, but too often our offense is still either within striking distance when we give up drives or immediately after one of our rare TDs. If we were losing big. Yeah you got a point. 

Are you serious Clark? We should do it the Supreme Court way. He should have a position for life!!

I’m kidding. I’ve actually been very vocal about Gus would and should already be fired if for no stupid contract. 

I’ve gotten that impression. Even Zeek said during the game thread: “we are missing way too many tackles, Gus should be fired now!” I guess I seem like a Gus apologist for not completely laying everything at Gus’s feet,  but there are plenty of things that Gus is doing wrong to justify his hot seat without attributing all of our woes to him. 

I agree with all of the above except for your comment regarding the offense being in striking distance.  While that statement is factually correct, IMO the teams over the last several seasons have failed to capitalize on being within striking distance too many times and that’s a huge problem for me.  

I’m not a Gus basher, but it’s high time that he address some major issues and start earning his pay or hit the road.  

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

I’m not a Gus basher, but it’s high time that he address some major issues and start earning his pay or hit the road.  

I hear you. I don’t think anybody is pleased about the offense and won’t be pleased unless significant staff changes happen. 

I’m over crapping on Gus now . He will be our coach for the foreseeable future. I just hope he does right by Auburn by getting the best OC and QB available this off season. If we do that, I think we will be in good hands. Need to make sure it is smooth though to sure up this future recruiting class.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I’m over crapping on Gus now . He will be our coach for the foreseeable future. I just hope he does right by Auburn by getting the best OC and QB available this off season. If we do that, I think we will be in good hands. Need to make sure it is smooth though to sure up this future recruiting class.

This is where I am too. Dude got a Mike Hampton deal and there’s nothing we can do about it. Might as well hope for the best.

4 minutes ago, chimes said:

This is where I am too. Dude got a Mike Hampton deal and there’s nothing we can do about it. Might as well hope for the best.

Mike Hampton haha nice my guy.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

Any opinions on how Asa looked Saturday?  I didn't watch must past the 1st Quarter and saw that he had 10 carries. 

i was at the game. He had 10 carries for around 45 yds i think. He looked ok. had a couple decent runs......Definitely needs more PT which drives me nuts that he hasnt gotten enough to develop how he should. But only way to go is up

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al.com/auburnfootball/2018/12/an-inside-look-at-how-auburn-botched-asa-martins-redshirt.html%3foutputType=amp

Parents were the ones who pointed out to the coaches that Asa already played past redshirt eligibility.

This whole program needs to stop being embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al.com/auburnfootball/2018/12/an-inside-look-at-how-auburn-botched-asa-martins-redshirt.html%3foutputType=amp

Parents were the ones who pointed out to the coaches that Asa already played past redshirt eligibility.

Dang it I just made a thread about this

Defense did some good things as well as the offense. Problem is we just can’t seem to sustain those improvement it is one step forward then one step back. Offense and defense regressed this year. Again I blame coaches for this. Game plans were not good. I warned last year when we allowed the team to lay down for the bowl game because it didn’t mean anything to them, that it would come back to haunt us. Good coaches make sure players know each time they are on the field no matter the opponent or the prize involved, that they should always give 💯 % every time.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Agreed. This circus will continue until AU takes control out of the hands from Leath and finally rids themselves of Gus. It was blatant AU couldn't run the ball this year. So why not give a talented kid like Asa a chance? Did he not know the play book? Well,  the OL appeared that way all season. It speaks volumes when parents have to point out to coaches that their sons minimal play has burned a year of eligibility.  Only one word for that! PATHETIC. Just a continuation of stupidity and mediocrity associated with AU.  I love Auburn, but when will it ever end? 

After watching Martin's extended playing time against Liberty University, it appeared to me that his body was not physically ready to play SEC football. 

He needs to spend more time in the weight room; build up his body and get in better shape.

10 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

It appears it was Chip that botched the redshirt?  Am I reading that right?  If so, and if Chip was the one who leaked information to Marcelo, but it was for the best of Chip moved on.  For everyone’s sake.  

This is yet another example of Gus and company mishandling an issue. Not being properly informed about he redshirt rule is inexcusable for our coaches. But there is another part of this story that bothers me, if I’m reading it accurately. Apparently during the season, Chip was having an ongoing discussion with the Martin’s about their son’s role and playing time. WTH. This is SEC football. An offensive coordinator is busy trying to placate the parents of a freshman. The best coaches I know insist that if there’s an issue with role or playing time, it is handled between the kid and the coach, not mom and dad. That’s not a ‘team first’ approach. 

Should it surprise anyone that Gus and crew bungled Asa's redshirt??? I mean Gus handled everything else with competence and diligence right? Looking forward to another promising Auburn football season in 2019 under the guidance of Gus.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It appears it was Chip that botched the redshirt?  Am I reading that right?  If so, and if Chip was the one who leaked information to Marcelo, but it was for the best of Chip moved on.  For everyone’s sake.  

Not how I read it at all.

That person she spoke to was then-offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey. He allegedly told her that Martin would play in that Mississippi State game and be a factor on the offense going forward this season — and the topic of a redshirt was ended.

After Martin’s play was limited in that MSU game, Harris said she had another conversation with a member of Auburn’s coaching staff.

After the Mississippi State game is when another assistant coach said that he wanted to redshirt Asa,” Harris said. “At this point, he had played five games."

😳😳😳

We need systemic change at AU. This is rediculous. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

This is yet another example of Gus and company mishandling an issue. Not being properly informed about he redshirt rule is inexcusable for our coaches. But there is another part of this story that bothers me, if I’m reading it accurately. Apparently during the season, Chip was having an ongoing discussion with the Martin’s about their son’s role and playing time. WTH. This is SEC football. An offensive coordinator is busy trying to placate the parents of a freshman. The best coaches I know insist that if there’s an issue with role or playing time, it is handled between the kid and the coach, not mom and dad. That’s not a ‘team first’ approach. 

I read a few times where certain players that weren’t playing had attitude issues.  If parents were involved, then that’s seems to suggest that the info was even more likely. If we had a coach that was also running his mouth to the media, then they should have been fired immediately! Did said snake coach sabotage a certain issue? But since most on this board know more about the team, I’m sure that all will forgive the snake and blame someone that fits their agenda! 

Archived