Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

Don’t kidd yourself if you think the coaching staff did him favors with that joke of PT. I believed he played some against Southern Miss, LSU and Alabama State. Then he played one snap against Arkansas which didn’t account for anything. After that , if you think he is ready like you say he is then allow him to play on special teams. That is the quote that Gus gave to the media. Of course he didn’t play at all in the 4 games after the Mississippi State which he returned a kick I believe . He then played LATE against liberty .  That just doesn’t add up. 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don’t kidd yourself if you think the coaching staff did him favors with that joke of PT. I believed he played some against Southern Miss, LSU and Alabama State. Then he played one snap against Arkansas which didn’t account for anything. After that , if you think he is ready like you say he is then allow him to play on special teams. That is the quote that Gus gave to the media. Of course he didn’t play at all in the 4 games after the Mississippi State which he returned a kick I believe . He then played LATE against liberty .  That just doesn’t add up. 

I dont think they knew they burnt him until around that liberty game, or maybe they just didn't wanna acknowledge that (which lines up with what Asa's mom said in her piece). 

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont think they knew they burnt him until around that liberty game, or maybe they just didn't wanna acknowledge that (which lines up with what Asa's mom said in her piece). 

Something is not adding up. Plays one snap against god awful Arkansas . Not even a meaningful snap. Returns a kick against Mississippi State. But then he can’t see a lick of PT against Tennessee or Ole Miss? Why? I get if you don’t want him to play against UGA or the Aggies but then I have to wonder why you allowed him to see the field against LSU. 

I said  before tbe season that our coaches would need to have a plan for tbe new rule or else they’d screw the pooch. They screwed the pooch. Doubt our coaches were trying to screw Asa.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I said  before tbe season that our coaches would need to have a plan for tbe new rule or else they’d screw the pooch. They screwed the pooch. Doubt our coaches were trying to screw Asa.

The way this went down,  it the kid had turned out to be an SEC quality RB, Auburn would have been the school that lost a year of his playing time.....probably at the point when he would have been most effective.     But...if that one play/no play incident is considered as the 5th game, that sounds like an opportunity for an appeal which I suspect would go his way. JMO

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

The way this went down,  it the kid had turned out to be an SEC quality RB, Auburn would have been the school that lost a year of his playing time.....probably at the point when he would have been most effective.     But...if that one play/no play incident is considered as the 5th game, that sounds like an opportunity for an appeal which I suspect would go his way. JMO

The incompetency and essentially lying was probably why they transferred more than anything. Could you imagine continuing to play for people that basically told you you were wrong about an empirical fact? There wasn’t an appeal needed or warranted to repeal that nonsense

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The incompetency and essentially lying was probably why they transferred more than anything. Could you imagine continuing to play for people that basically told you you were wrong about an empirical fact? There wasn’t an appeal needed or warranted to repeal that nonsense

I have not idea who to believe or who understood what?   So believer what you want I guess....

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Don't want to be down on the compliance at Auburn, but from my experience when they were working on my 6th year waiver.....

Welp.... That appeal ain't in the best of hands.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

I have not idea who to believe or who understood what?   So believer what you want I guess....

I saw ITT earlier, I don’t know why people believe Asa’s mother would lie lol. Like what does she gain “slandering” (she barely even criticized the program, much less slandered) Auburn...a program she gave the okay for her son to go to when he certainly had better options on the table. There were people ON THIS SITE that knew the RS was burned the same time she said she did. There’s no reason not to believe that article 

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Pretty sure they already appealed and lost.

And, as is typical with the NCAA and student-athletes, the kid is the one who gets screwed. 

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Really? You have the guy's mother on record with quotes and hard facts while the staff has completely ignored the situation, but you have "no idea" who to believe? No idea? 

I definitely believe his mother, but I am not sure who on staff is actually at fault.  My thinking is that it was the OCs ultimate responsibility, but someone has to be keeping those records for him.  Anyway, that is a shame for Asa.  So not fair.  

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Really? You have the guy's mother on record with quotes and hard facts while the staff has completely ignored the situation, but you have "no idea" who to believe? No idea? 

Mother’s side is still only one side of the story. Reality is we have no clue what happened, how it happened, and what facts were taken into consideration. 

38 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Mother’s side is still only one side of the story. Reality is we have no clue what happened, how it happened, and what facts were taken into consideration. 

Regardless of what happened or the other side of the story, at the end of the day it's a blunder and a waste of a star recruit from this class. 

It's a blemish on Auburn's football operations and it further exacerbates the seriously poor roster management that's been prevalent for this program for too many years to count. 

Poor player management exposes Auburn and throws up unnecessary hurdles on the recruiting trail.  The coaches will have to explain and possibly defend their position to many parents and prospects, they'll have to work overtime to make promises that this oversight won't happen again.  Good luck to the AU staff - they made their jobs much harder.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Regardless of what happened or the other side of the story, at the end of the day it's a blunder and a waste of a star recruit from this class. 

It's a blemish on Auburn's football operations and it further exacerbates the seriously poor roster management that's been prevalent for this program for too many years to count. 

Poor player management exposes Auburn and throws up unnecessary hurdles on the recruiting trail.  The coaches will have to explain and possibly defend their position to many parents and prospects, they'll have to work overtime to make promises that this oversight won't happen again.  Good luck to the AU staff - they made their jobs much harder.

I agree. I’ve talked about the consequences of the new rule throughout the previous offseason even to the point where E said “Jeff I don’t care.” Our coaches did make their jobs harder. Though it’s easier to sell a mistake or a misunderstanding over the NCAA than to sell recruits what Mcloofus wants the coaches to say: “Yes we were trying to waste a year of eligibility of Asa’s. We honestly didn’t give a damn about him.”

I’d still like to know why the one snap against Arkansas is held against him. Tua got hurt against Mississippi State or LSU and had to come out for one play. The next play was negated by a penalty, so Tua tried to come back in. The refs convened and determined that Tua couldn’t come back in yet. So, the refs were saying tbe one play never happened. 

I would almost bet both Gus and Chip had no plans to redshirt him and Asa knew it. Whatever unnamed coach told his mother they did may not even be a coach.  I could have been one of our own disgruntled members here. 

18 minutes ago, alexava said:

I would almost bet both Gus and Chip had no plans to redshirt him and Asa knew it. 

Then why didn't he play again except the Liberty game? 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Then why didn't he play again except the Liberty game? 

Because he was the 5 th in line and didn’t work his way up the chart like everyone thought he would. That’s the only game we won comfortably. 

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

Because he was the 5 th in line and didn’t work his way up the chart like everyone thought he would. That’s the only game we won comfortably. 

So in week 4-5, they still thought he would work his way up from 5th string to being a valuable contributor?

I mean, Chip did, but isn't it kind of obvious that Chip and Gus weren't on the same page? Doesn't it seem maybe a little bit likely that Gus and the RB coach were more on the same page? 

Richt would be a good coach to play for and he could use Asa in his offense.  Good luck to the kid, I hate to see highly rated in-state talent leave.

I don't care what happened, we can't afford to keep losing depth at the RB position. Asa has a really high ceiling, regardless of where he was on the depth chart last season. He was going to have a real opportunity to help next year.

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't care what happened, we can't afford to keep losing depth at the RB position. Asa has a really high ceiling, regardless of where he was on the depth chart last season. He was going to have a real opportunity to help next year.

agree. Plus he was rated high enough that Auburn wanted him. There are plenty of RBs that come in and still RS, bc there is a large group ahead of him. Losing a RB scholarship means they have to get another one this year, when they could have used it for OL, or D.  Boobee is the only bonafied RB we have. KMart will be in his last year next year, and who knows who can be a Quality RB behind Whitlow. Shiver will be adequate but he is not the type that can make defenders miss like Boobee or AMartin could. 

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

agree. Plus he was rated high enough that Auburn wanted him. There are plenty of RBs that come in and still RS, bc there is a large group ahead of him. Losing a RB scholarship means they have to get another one this year, when they could have used it for OL, or D.  Boobee is the only bonafied RB we have. KMart will be in his last year next year, and who knows who can be a Quality RB behind Whitlow. Shiver will be adequate but he is not the type that can make defenders miss like Boobee or AMartin could. 

What makes you think that Shivers doesn't have the ability to make defenders miss that our other backs do? I think you are underestimating him, especially if you are comparing him to Asa. Boobee will continue to be the "go-to" back that Malzahn desires in his offense. That leaves Shivers and Joiner. Shivers is immensely talented, as we saw this season and his role will likely increase next season. I'm not at all concerned about the two-deep.

The question last year was "can Kmart be an every down back". We know now that the answer to that question doesn't really matter - because he isn't going to be an every down back for Gus Malzahn, barring injuries. Shivers passed him, and that just is what it is. I would imagine that he will continue to contribute in the same limited capacity that he did this season. 

Joiner certainly has potential, but it's hard to speculate when he barely touched the ball. 

As for incoming freshman? Who knows at this point. 

So we have: 

RB1: Whitlow
RB2: Shivers
RB3: Kam Martin OR Harold Joiner OR Incoming Freshman?

It's not an absolute disaster, but injuries could become very problematic for us. 

Auburn needs more SEC caliber RBs, game changers, durable guys that impose their will on a defender and run with authority.  Gus absolutely has to have a powerful and effective running game, especially next year with a green QB.

Archived