Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

On 12/15/2018 at 9:26 AM, lala said:

This is silly.  They definitely screwed up and the way to avoid is to not have him dressed out.   Unfortunately with new rules things like this happen and they have to learn to assign responsibilities to individuals so this does not happen again   

However, you see coaches in the NFL constantly screw up with regular tasks such as clock management, etc.... so it is not like this is a Gus only thing

Do you mind telling us how many other SEC programs burned a players red-shirt year through shear stupidity? 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2018 at 6:52 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

I am completely astounded that people still defend the staff in this situation. 

Want to defend them over pretty much everything else, fine. Want to defend running it up the gut 7,499 times in a row after a 1st down, fine. Want to defend our playbook having 6 total plays, fine. Want to defend our pee wee WR route tree, fine. Want to defend players being pigeonholed into very specific non variable roles, fine. Want to defend every single other idiotic move they have made over the last half decade (which is a LOT,) FINE

Defending them about THIS is beyond belief. Saying "I don't know what to believe" is astounding. It's QUITE clear what to believe. Saying "it could of been someone on this site who told his mother that" is mind boggling. You realize you are calling  Asa's mother a liar saying that. Asa's mother told us what to believe. You think for ONE MILLISECOND she doesn't know who is and isn't a coach on this staff?!?!?!?!?!? 

There is NO EXCUSE for defending this. NONE

It's the most s***-show amateur hour moment of the Gus Malzahn Error and that is saying something amazing.  Monkey's fuggin football bats people, that's all we have the Football Offices right now. 

War Eagle Anyway!

1 hour ago, thrustmaxwell said:

It's the most s***-show amateur hour moment of the Gus Malzahn Error and that is saying something amazing.  Monkey's fuggin football bats people, that's all we have the Football Offices right now. 

War Eagle Anyway!

So, tell me how you really feel...

3 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

LOL.  The only decent OT we've recruited in years and you're gonna s*** on him as a freshman.  Beautiful.

I think you mean redshirt freshman.  And by sh** on him, you mean honest observation.   

Asa officially signed with Miami.

So, I guess if he balls out there and we struggle at RB this year due to a lack of intelligent personnel management, then it will without a doubt be very telling. Even if he comes in and plays a relief back role and hits a few home runs, it'll be indicative of ineptitude on the plains. 

Wishing him the best, but at the same time he has the ability to inflict some serious damage on the program. 

20 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Asa officially signed with Miami.

So, I guess if he balls out there and we struggle at RB this year due to a lack of intelligent personnel management, then it will without a doubt be very telling. Even if he comes in and plays a relief back role and hits a few home runs, it'll be indicative of ineptitude on the plains. 

Wishing him the best, but at the same time he has the ability to inflict some serious damage on the program. 

Wow, great for him.  Richt will utilize him MUCH better than Gus, I'm very happy for the young man.

7 hours ago, alexava said:

He won’t play till ‘20. We will have forgotten about it then. 

shakeHead.gif

So, (2) scholly RBs that have the size but not the developed talent to carry the load.  You have an unknown small fry who will make electrifying plays but can't be considered an every down back.  You have Harold Joiner who isn't looked at as a true RB by the coaching staff.

duu0q0B.png

image.png

Hope he does OK at Miami but no coach has consistently underutilized talent than Richt....which is why he is no longer at Uga.  

Even if he comes in and plays a relief back role and hits a few home runs, it'll be indicative of ineptitude on the plains. 

Not necessarily. It could be indicative of a better OL, less RB competition, and many other things. He won’t be eligible until 2020. Players develop past their freshman year skill set as they become more comfortable the college regimen. 

So, I guess if he balls out there and we struggle at RB this year due to a lack of intelligent personnel management, then it will without a doubt be very telling. 

What would be telling is that he was fortunate to get away. I like our backs for next year though and don’t think Martin would’ve made the 2 deep. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Not necessarily. It could be indicative of a better OL, less RB competition, and many other things. He won’t be eligible until 2020. Players develop past their freshman year skill set as they become more comfortable the college regimen. 

What would be telling is that he was fortunate to get away. I like our backs for next year though and don’t think Martin would’ve made the 2 deep. 

Agree...he was not making progress on the depth chart....he made the right move to leave...as for Miami ?....guess we will know more in 15 months if anyone still cares by then.

46 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hope he does OK at Miami but no coach has consistently underutilized talent than Richt....which is why he is no longer at Uga.  

An Auburn fan really shouldn't make a comment like this. Especially not about Mark Richt at uga. 

Richt was hired as head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs before the 2001 season, replacing Jim Donnan. Richt's teams won two Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships (2002 and 2005), six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012), and nine bowl games. His teams represented the SEC in three BCS bowl appearances with a record of 2–1, and finished in the top ten of the final AP Poll seven times (2002–2005, 2007, 2012, 2014). His 2008 team also finished in the top ten of the coaches poll.

Notice how his team didn't steadily get worse each year. Notice how his best year wasn't his first year.

In 2012, he was 1 play away from going to the national title game, where he would've stomped Notre Dame just like the eventual national champion did. 

He was fired after a 9-3 regular season. 

On 12/17/2018 at 3:30 PM, thrustmaxwell said:

Do you mind telling us how many other SEC programs burned a players red-shirt year through shear stupidity? 

Don't think it has ever happened to this degree. Ever. 

8 hours ago, alexava said:

Good luck to him there. He won’t play till ‘20. We will have forgotten about it then. 

I bet Asa gets a waiver from the NCAA sometime this spring and is eligible to play in 2019. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This was the first year where a player could participate and still keep a red shirt.....and guess we won't know. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

An Auburn fan really shouldn't make a comment like this. Especially not about Mark Richt at uga. 

Notice how his team didn't steadily get worse each year. Notice how his best year wasn't his first year.

In 2012, he was 1 play away from going to the national title game, where he would've stomped Notre Dame just like the eventual national champion did. 

He was fired after a 9-3 regular season. 

My comment was about Asa and Miami.....But as for Richt.....I like him and note that he had tons of talent and did not win championships.....which is why he got fired....not saying he was a bad coach,...but underutilized his talent....just ask the Ga PTBs who got him run off.

Asa wasn't going to play at AU and I don't blame the coaches...other than for messing up the red shirt issue...though to even play him four games, I expect they were looking for him to make a bigger impact than he did.....especially with Boobee being hurt off and on. 

Just now, AU64 said:

This was the first year where a player could participate and still keep a red shirt.....and guess we won't know. 

My comment was about Asa and Miami.....But as for Richt.....I like him and note that he had tons of talent and did not win championships.....which is why he got fired....not saying he was a bad coach,...but underutilized his talent....just ask the Ga PTBs who got him run off.

Asa wasn't going to play at AU and I don't blame the coaches...other than for messing up the red shirt issue...though to even play him four games, I expect they were looking for him to make a bigger impact than he did.....especially with Boobee being hurt off and on. 

No way to spin this any other way than that AU screwed up royally with Asa. It's water under the bridge now so time to move on. Will be forgot by spring. 

21 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I bet Asa gets a waiver from the NCAA sometime this spring and is eligible to play in 2019. 

Based on what? 

23 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We basically burned Ryan Davis’s over a trick play.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

My comment was about Asa and Miami.....

Huh? 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

no coach has consistently underutilized talent than Richt....which is why he is no longer at Uga. 

That's a comment about Richt. At uga.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

But as for Richt.....I like him and note that he had tons of talent and did not win championships.....which is why he got fired....not saying he was a bad coach,...but underutilized his talent....just ask the Ga PTBs who got him run off.

I just provided the championships he won. 2 SEC titles and 6 East titles. By the time he was done with his 6th season, he had 3 East titles and 2 SEC titles. In year 5 of his tenure at uga, he won the SEC, whereas Gus did not win the SEC in year 5 of his tenure at Auburn, but instead only won in year 1. Richt was 2-1 in BCS bowls. So by your own measure, Gus underutilizes his talent more than Richt. And I guess we're just going to ignore that part about him getting run off after a 9-3 season? You want to complain about our fans and PTBs?

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

"Play him four games"? He got 3 carries in those 4 games. 2 came against Alabama State. Why do folks keep saying that our coaches were still expecting a 5th-string RB to develop in the middle of the season? 

It was obviously another case of Gus just not wanting to play a guy. Maybe there was a legit attitude issue. If there was, then okay, whatever. Seems like we have an awful lot of those with our blue chip talent on offense. Guess the defensive guys are either recruiting choir boys or letting criminals play. Regardless, y'all really need to disabuse yourselves of the notion that he along with aaaaallllll these other guys who never seem to "develop" aren't as talented as the guys who couldn't score more than 9 points on Mississippi State. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It was obviously another case of Gus just not wanting to play a guy. Maybe there was a legit attitude issue. If there was, then okay, whatever. Seems like we have an awful lot of those with our blue chip talent on offense. Guess the defensive guys are either recruiting choir boys or letting criminals play. Regardless, y'all really need to disabuse yourselves of the notion that he along with aaaaallllll these other guys who never seem to "develop" aren't as talented as the guys who couldn't score more than 9 points on Mississippi State. 

:bow:

22 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

So, I guess if he balls out there and we struggle at RB this year

He won't this year. He has a transfer year to sit out.

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In year 5 of his tenure at uga, he won the SEC, whereas Gus did not win the SEC in year 5 of his tenure at Auburn, but instead only won in year 1.

I’m convinced. Fire Gus now. 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It was obviously another case of Gus just not wanting to play a guy.

Remember when you tried to tell everybody that Jason Smith was a troublemaker and that’s why he didn’t play his senior year. I do. 

Archived