Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

17 hours ago, milehighfan said:

One thing for sure, I don't want Leath in on any part of the contract negotiations, especially the buyout.

Just imagine if JJ had helped out too.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/31/2018 at 2:31 PM, Tiger said:

I'd argue by saying the UT game got that ball rolling. If we're ever in a position to where our coach needs to beat Ole Miss for job security I think we've already reached a place where it's inevitable he's not the man for the job and will be shown the door rather soon.

And since we know that, we are in the best position to recruit a new coach by making the position avail EARLY, not late.   If we are trying to save money by firing at the end of the season, then we may lose out on the very best candidate.  Another mistake in the hiring process.

The arguments have been laid out there - but you can't take 6 straight top 10 classes of recruits and put this on the field.   And if they aren't the right position players - then you just made the best argument to move on.  

We have slumped into becoming another "mississippi-type" program.   Just look at our record vs our Western Div foes.  

18 minutes ago, Beaker said:

And since we know that, we are in the best position to recruit a new coach by making the position avail EARLY, not late.   If we are trying to save money by firing at the end of the season, then we may lose out on the very best candidate.  Another mistake in the hiring process.

The arguments have been laid out there - but you can't take 6 straight top 10 classes of recruits and put this on the field.   And if they aren't the right position players - then you just made the best argument to move on.  

We have slumped into becoming another "mississippi-type" program.   Just look at our record vs our Western Div foes.  

Yup. We are currently closer to the Mississippi schools and Arkansas than we are Bama/LSU.

And we are flirting with the disaster that would have TAMU replace us in the power trio of the SEC West.... 

39 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yup. We are currently closer to the Mississippi schools and Arkansas than we are Bama/LSU.

And we are flirting with the disaster that would have TAMU replace us in the power trio of the SEC West.... 

Right now you are correct... I think it comes back to our recruiting on the offensive line. It has been horrendous. We need good OL in the worst way. You win the line, you win the game. 

We are doing the same thing this year with recruiting and o line. And the funny thing there are no excuses either. The past 4-5 years Alabama has produced some damn good o line prospects

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

We are doing the same thing this year with recruiting and o line. And the funny thing there are no excuses either. The past 4-5 years Alabama has produced some damn good o line prospects

I think we are trying but we are missing. We hit on WRs, DBs, safeties, etc... but lately we have missed on almost every OL and RB that we really want. I don;t know how to solve this. Get a better bagman? jk

14 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

The offensive line recruiting kinda reminds me of the LB recruiting Auburn suffered a few years back. 

It really is amazing. It has been a known issue but we just can't get the elite kids to commit to AU. 

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think we are trying but we are missing. We hit on WRs, DBs, safeties, etc... but lately we have missed on almost every OL and RB that we really want. I don;t know how to solve this. Get a better bagman? jk

We hit on the positions you mentioned because we went and hired passionate coaches at those positions that can really recruit. We are bad at the positions we are bad at because we haven't had a coach at the position that can really recruit

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We hit on the positions you mentioned because we went and hired passionate coaches at those positions that can really recruit. We are bad at the positions we are bad at because we haven't had a coach at the position that can really recruit

Swap Horton for Porter...Grimes can coach but it seems to be out of touch for recruiting (old). Hand could recruit but based on some could not coach. What is Jeff Grimes doing these days...Searles...i mean it’s gotta be somebody out there...I wonder if Garner can still coach oline...

12 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Swap Horton for Porter...Grimes can coach but it seems to be out of touch for recruiting (old). Hand could recruit but based on some could not coach. What is Jeff Grimes doing these days...Searles...i mean it’s gotta be somebody out there...I wonder if Garner can still coach oline...

If nothing else it seems we would hire a hungry guy wanting to establish himself to at least just be grimes assistant and travel and go out and get guys in

12 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Seriously!!! This was the biggest concern last year and again this year. So far this current class is severely lacking elite OL that are needed. 

I mean our best players on the OL are a transfer from Mass and a converted DE. We had to get a center to transfer last year. It should not be that way for Auburn. And the most frustrating thing is that there is not an indication that it is going to improve anytime soon. if we are failing to get the OL we need, change something!

If Horton leaves as some suggest (every year), move porter to RBs. Then hire Trooper to coach special teams and be Grimes shadow recruiting. ???

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Seriously!!! This was the biggest concern last year and again this year. So far this current class is severely lacking elite OL that are needed. 

I mean our best players on the OL are a transfer from Mass and a converted DE. We had to get a center to transfer last year. It should not be that way for Auburn. And the most frustrating thing is that there is not an indication that it is going to improve anytime soon. if we are failing to get the OL we need, change something!

On the other hand Brahms, Troxell, and Kim were all 4 star recruits (Tyler Carr also), and Ashley was a 5 star. We are not developing what we get. 

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

On the other hand Brahms, Troxell, and Kim were all 4 star recruits (Tyler Carr also), and Ashley was a 5 star. We are not developing what we get. 

Who was Chizik’s Oline coach?  I feel like we had more Olinemen than we knew what to do with under Chizik.

Just now, Win4AU said:

Who was Chizik’s Oline coach?  I feel like we had more Olinemen than we knew what to do with under Chizik.

Jeff Grimes and he could coach and recruit circles around JB (this version of him) or Herb Hand.  OC at BYU now. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Or maybe we are not very good at evaluations. Plus if we only hit on 1 or 2 of these guys a year, there is no other choice if they do not pan out. 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Jeff Grimes ( no relation to JB) I believe. 

So... to the topic of this thread... Asa Martin is a stud running back but I fear he’ll go the route of a Roc Thomas. Unused, transfers to a smaller college, tried his hand at the pros with little to no success.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

So... to the topic of this thread... Asa Martin is a stud running back but I fear he’ll go the route of a Roc Thomas. Unused, transfers to a smaller college, tried his hand at the pros with little to no success.

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

And these two posts are exactly why so many of us are ready to get off the bus.

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

If nothing else it seems we would hire a hungry guy wanting to establish himself to at least just be grimes assistant and travel and go out and get guys in

That is Gus' biggest problem.  He has no connections and he doesn't come from any type of successful coaching tree in his experience.

Image result for tree with no branches

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

It’s way way too early to assume this...kid has 7-8 games under his college career, albeit a HS stud he still has to earn it...I think he will have a great career at Auburn before it’s said and done. 

Archived