Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I did my own look up and he certainly was ran in the ground. Somebody posted in this thread some stats and you can see it there as well. Not to mention you have to equate that kj missed games hurt but still had those numbers of attempts, and also kj had wonderful hands so his catches should be in play as well....

This worn out stuff is only mentioned because it fits the currently popular message board clamoring. His usage was normal for leading SEC rushers.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mikey said:

This worn out stuff is spot on because it fits the currently popular message board opinion that Gus is a moron. His usage was excessive especially when he wasn’t playing at 100%. Not to mention KJ wasn’t built like a Derrick Henry.

FIFY

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This worn out stuff is only mentioned because it fits the currently popular message board clamoring. His usage was normal for leading SEC rushers.

No it wasn't. And also nah I said this stuff years ago, it got picked up now because people now can look and say it's true. But if he has the leaders high in 12 games as opposed to the runners up who played in 15/16 games even you can figure those numbers out....

The theme last year as Alabama won the title was they got stronger each game at the end of the season. The season where kj had to sit out the last 3 games but still led the league in rushing with 285 attempts the next guy was at 262 and the 3rd guy was 237

Bammer didn't have a guy in the top 10 this particular year. Harris had 135 and Scarborough had 124. But they were fresher at the end of the year and available to win a championship. 

Are we down to just Boobee Whitlow in the backfield. Where's Asa and all the other RB's that I thought we had going into this season.

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Are we down to just Boobee Whitlow in the backfield. Where's Asa and all the other RB's that I thought we had going into this season.

Malik "the Masher" Miller gets into the game, he just rarely ever gets the ball. 

56 minutes ago, The Freak said:

KJ had 34 carries against Mercer.  /discussion.

That was actually Pettway that had the 34 carries. KJ was still nursing a pulled hammy suffered in the first game.  But to the point of running our player into the ground, Pettway was playing on a bum ankle he suffered before the season started.  He played against Clemson, as KJ was not available, and because he was “banged up” he was largely ineffective.

So, what does Gus do for the Mercer game, why he tapes Pettway’s ankle and sends him in to carry it 34 times.  Gus is usually intolerant of fumbles, but in this game Pettway fumbled at least 2 maybe 3 times. We had Kmart, MM and Barrett available.

IIRC, Gus makes the decision after the game to rest Pettway until he healed..By a strange coincidence, KJ was available for the next game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2017-09-16-auburn.html

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

I did my own look up and he certainly was ran in the ground. Somebody posted in this thread some stats and you can see it there as well. Not to mention you have to equate that kj missed games hurt but still had those numbers of attempts, and also kj had wonderful hands so his catches should be in play as well....

Those stats I posted were total touches, including receptions. Straight off of CBS. 

SEC leading rushers and carries vs Auburn leading rusher carries (if they don't lead the conference) 

2017: KJ- 285 carries 4.9 yds/att (14 games)

2016: Derrius Guice- 183 carries 7.6yds/att (12 games)   AU: Pettway 209 carries, 5.9 yds/att 

2015: Derrick Henry- 395 carries 5.6 yds/att (15 games)   AU: Barber: 238 carries, 4.3 yds/att

2014: CAP- 303 carries 5.3 yds/att (13 games)

2013: Tre Mason- 317 carries, 5.7 yds/att (14 games)

2012: Johnny Manziel- 201 carries, 7.0 yds/att (13 games)    AU: Tre Mason: 171 carries, 5.9 yds/att

2011: Trent Richardson- 283 carries, 5.9 yds/att (13 games)   AU: Dyer: 242 carries, 5.1 yds/ att

2010: Cam Newton- 264 carries, 5.6 yds/att (14 games)

2009: Mark Ingram- 271 carries, 6.1 yds/att (14 games)      AU: Ben Tate: 263 carries, 5.2 yds/att

2008: Knowshon Moreno- 250 carries, 5.6/att (13 games)   AU: Ben Tate: 159 carries, 4.2 yds.att

2007: Darren McFadden- 325 carries, 5.6yds/att (13 games)   AU: Ben Tate: 202 carries, 4.5 yds/att

During the Malzahn era as HC and OC, his leading rushers have avg'd 265.1 carries/yr. The others on this board who have led the conference are at 272 carries/yr. 

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

That was actually Pettway that had the 34 carries. KJ was still nursing a pulled hammy suffered in the first game.  But to the point of running our player into the ground, Pettway was playing on a bum ankle he suffered before the season started.  He played against Clemson, as KJ was not available, and because he was “banged up” he was largely ineffective.

So, what does Gus do for the Mercer game, why he tapes Pettway’s ankle and sends him in to carry it 34 times.  Gus is usually intolerant of fumbles, but in this game Pettway fumbled at least 2 maybe 3 times. We had Kmart, MM and Barrett available.

IIRC, Gus makes the decision after the game to rest Pettway until he healed..By a strange coincidence, KJ was available for the next game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2017-09-16-auburn.html

I stand corrected.  Gus was running Kam into the ground.

I am sick and tired of all the crap about being in Gus' doghouse.    We sit extremely talented players for what I believe are petty things.

Lou Holtz sat 2 all conference players and a 3rd starter (didn't take them to the Orange bowl) and beat #2 OU while at Ark.  They were accused of rape or assault or some such.  That made perfect sense!  

Not playing Asa because of a fumble 4 games ago is insane.  How is he getting developed or better?  

Gus doesn't have enough credibility to be so arrogant and we certainly don't have the depth...He is an avg coach with a losing record against our rivals...he is driving us into the cellar of the SEC W

33 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am sick and tired of all the crap about being in Gus' doghouse.    We sit extremely talented players for what I believe are petty things.

Lou Holtz sat 2 all conference players and a 3rd starter (didn't take them to the Orange bowl) and beat #2 OU while at Ark.  They were accused of rape or assault or some such.  That made perfect sense!  

Not playing Asa because of a fumble 4 games ago is insane.  How is he getting developed or better?  

Gus doesn't have enough credibility to be so arrogant and we certainly don't have the depth...He is an avg coach with a losing record against our rivals...he is driving us into the cellar of the SEC W

And you know that he's not playing due to a fumble from a few weeks ago?

36 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

He's going on what he heard. You in know about anything? 

Glad Asa didn’t play. Wouldn’t want to ruin the hot hand we had going...

4 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

Good question; no I don't know that.   This is what I heard 3 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago.   Now I hear nothing.  

What do I think?  Common sense tells me the AD is petitioning for Asa to get a red shirt b/c although he went into the game vs UT,  the play was called dead before the snap.   Then he was removed from the field, as I understood it.  And he isn't playing because they are awaiting a decision.  

Regardless - this is absolutely unforgivable if I was the AD.   $583,000/month and you can't figure out how to redshirt a 4* athlete?  Or you can't figure how to develop your 4* RB?   

12 hours ago, Beaker said:

Good question; no I don't know that.   This is what I heard 3 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago.   Now I hear nothing.  

What do I think?  Common sense tells me the AD is petitioning for Asa to get a red shirt b/c although he went into the game vs UT,  the play was called dead before the snap.   Then he was removed from the field, as I understood it.  And he isn't playing because they are awaiting a decision.  

Regardless - this is absolutely unforgivable if I was the AD.   $583,000/month and you can't figure out how to redshirt a 4* athlete?  Or you can't figure how to develop your 4* RB?   

That's the best explanation I've seen for the situation.

Now, tell me where Calvin Ashley has gone?

11 hours ago, The Freak said:

KJ had 34 carries against Mercer.  /discussion.

Barry Sanders... 31 carries per game lol in 1988.

Sorry this makes me feel old. I was curious and looked at guys like Sanders (344), Jackson (278), Smith (284), Campbell (267), Thomas (327)....those guys were getting 250 plus carries in seasons with less games. That isn't including receptions either. To me these numbers over 15 games looks normal compared to what I watched as a kid.

Now in fairness, Sanders and Thomas were standing next to Gundy. So they were siphoning "Come at me, I'm a Man" super powers.

Not sure if many know him. I'm pretty sure Golf will though. But if you ever wanna hear about athletes and playing injured listen to Hub Waldrop's stories. I took him for two Athletic Injuries courses.

23 hours ago, cole256 said:

And also nah I said this stuff years ago,

KJ led the league in rushing last year. Are you clairvoyant?

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

KJ led the league in rushing last year. Are you clairvoyant?

Talking about running backs in the ground....and I'm going to believe you're not so stupid that you didn't know that, because I believe in you

10 hours ago, oracle79 said:

That's the best explanation I've seen for the situation.

Now, tell me where Calving Ashley has gone?

This I have no idea.   I just read things and don't want to perpetuate rumors.   Maybe someone with something tangible can chime in.   Makes little sense to me.

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Talking about running backs in the ground....and I'm going to believe you're not so stupid that you didn't know that, because I believe in you

If you did mean "running all the backs into the ground", that's an opinion with no basis in fact. (check doug3020's post, above) Unless you think every coach is running good backs into the ground. I suppose that this year Stoops at Kentucky is running Snell into the ground? What limit would Coach Cole put on his backs? 150 carries a season? 12 carries a game? At what point is every coach in America running his best back into the ground? Do you have a number?

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you did mean "running all the backs into the ground", that's an opinion with no basis in fact. (check doug3020's post, above) Unless you think every coach is running good backs into the ground. I suppose that this year Stoops at Kentucky is running Snell into the ground? What limit would Coach Cole put on his backs? 150 carries a season? 12 carries a game? At what point is every coach in America running his best back into the ground? Do you have a number?

Look, anyone can see that RB's and injuries have been a common theme the last 3 years with Gus. Yeah other teams run their RB's as many times as Gus runs his. But it's the way that Gus uses the RB's that is the problem. One gets injured and boom he's back in. Grinding and grinding. There isn't anyone that can step in and help or Gus does not use them. And this has been devisating at the end of the season the last 3 or 4 years. To say it's not a problem is just being a homer. 

Archived