Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Our offense is what it is.....so the D needs to do a better job of getting off the field.   Not giving up yards (if not points) is half the job IMO.    

A few years ago it was the reverse......O could score on anyone and the D could not stop the opposition so we were trying to outscore people.   It works that way sometimes.....but that's not a reason to justify that it's OK for the D to give up long time consuming drives....even if they don't give up the points.   The O needs as many opportunities as possible and needs good field position....that's a fact and we have to live with it.  JMO

That’s hilarious you say that. So the offense should’ve just scored more points in 2014 due to the defense lack of ability? That’s the point you are making? Because if I remember correctly, Gus wasn’t getting the blame other than his hiring of Ellis Johnson for the defense collapse. The ultimate responsibility fell on Ellis Johnson which resulted in his firing.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t think they’re a liability. They’re just not as advertised. Florida had a pathetic offense in 2012 but the defense carried them to the Sugar Bowl. I think I hoped for little more of that. 

I also hoped for more. 

9 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I also hoped for more. 

I think we all did . The defense is not elite. They are quality however. But think about this for a second. Didn’t we hire this guy with the hopes of just having an average Defense to go along with his offensive prowess? As the the narrative shifted so quickly? What does Gus bring to the table if so?

6 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I also hoped for more. 

It's fair for Auburn fans to be wishing for a little more from the defense. They're not perfect. 

What I can't accept is that 1) the offense's poor performance hasn't made the defense's job harder or especially that 2) the defense's performance is actually making the offense's job harder. The former can at least be argued, I guess. I'm still trying to process the fact that anyone would even suggest the latter, but someone sure did. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

think we all did . The defense is not elite. They are quality however.

I can get jiggy with that.

There is absolutely no question that the O’s poor performance has negatively affected the D.  Geeze, that is a tenet that has been known and accepted ever since football was started decades ago.  Well, known to everyone except the Gus apologists. 

Just now, Mike4AU said:

There is absolutely no question that the O’s poor performance has negatively affected the D.  Geeze, that is a tenet that has been known and accepted ever since football was started decades ago.  Well, known to everyone except the Gus apologists. 

Yup. 

I'm mad at myself that I even engaged with a couple of you as far as a debate....if going at the defense isn't a show of desperation as far as there is nothing else to say to protect Gus and this offense then nothing is. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

This year, "why we lost" is most likely going to be the fault of a very disappointing defense.

What twilight zone are you living in?

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Good game plan and stuck to it? It’s almost like you’re saying decent play calling given the weaknesses they’re trying to hide. 

Coaches could’ve called more than 5 plays with no protection and didn’t. Regardless of what anybody says, only the coaches know the strengths of our players. 

As to the first statement; isn’t this the whole point of a game plan, to play to your strengths and hide your weaknesses?  Considering the opponent, I think he did a good job. 

The bolded part is absolutely correct, it’s a shame our coach does not find those strengths during Spring and Fall practice.

58 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

In my opinion, There's no way that Malzahn is worth 49 million for the way he's been coaching last year and this year.

Thanks!! I haven’t actually heard it stated from this angle 🙄

38 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

What twilight zone are you living in?

Yep, I really don’t understand that line of thinking. Usually a top 15 scoring D will have you competing for a title, especially one, like I mentioned earlier that was one of 4 teams to have allowed 14 TDs or less this season headed into this weekend. One being Miss st, which is also 6-3, due to being one dimensional on offense with the 85th Scoring O, Fresno St, 8-1 and 21st Scoring O. and Clemson, 9-0 and 3rd Scoring O. AU has the 94th Scoring O.

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Thanks!! I haven’t actually heard it stated from this angle 🙄

There is almost a bit of poetry in a4e posts.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Need to do the math....the longer the other guys have the ball, the fewer opportunities the O has on the field.   O is not great, that's a fact....but no matter what it is, they are not gonna do anything sitting on the bench while the opposition is making a 10-12 play,  5 - 7 minute drives and completing every 3rd and long obvious passing play.  O did much better when it had good field position to work from. .

Even when the offense got the ball they had a LOT of 3 and outs.  

1 minute ago, gctiger said:

Defense's fault. Gave the offense too much time to rest and think about it. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Image result for princess bride gif

Dude. What on earth is going on in here??? You know what?

That's it! I've had it with this joint! We've got no food! We've got no jobs! Only the coaches know what players are good at! Our defense is the reason we are losing games!!!

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

In my opinion, There's no way that Malzahn is worth 49 million for the way he's been coaching last year and this year.

You've said this in 10 different treads.........hopefully your using cut and paste

32 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You've said this in 10 different treads.........hopefully your using cut and paste

You need to put in one of those "I am not a robot" entries in here before you post.;D

4 hours ago, gctiger said:

Even on Auburn’s first defensive series of the  game the D allowed a 13 play 6 minute drive and a FG. Immediately after halftime the D gave up another 8 play drive for a TD. Are we seriously going to blame the offense for that too? 

I have no problem with the way they played in the fourth, but it’s not like they’re helping themselves out by getting off the field. Losing the TOP battle is a disappointment on multiple fronts. 

Archived