Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

9 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I definitely believe his mother, but I am not sure who on staff is actually at fault.  My thinking is that it was the OCs ultimate responsibility, but someone has to be keeping those records for him.  Anyway, that is a shame for Asa.  So not fair.  

The question is who is not to blame, IMO.   Starts at the top Gus, Lindsey and Horton all failed the kid for sure.  I am sure there are some other staffers that will get the blame, but it is inexcusable for this not to be discussed every single week of the season as they game plan for the next week.  Also, all kids getting game action should have conversations in meetings about the previous games tape and improvements and highlights that are addressed.    I hate to pile on, but it really shows Gus is not capable of running a big time program because you just don't miss things like this if even the most basic of system to track was in place.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The question is who is not to blame, IMO.   Starts at the top Gus, Lindsey and Horton all failed the kid for sure.  I am sure there are some other staffers that will get the blame, but it is inexcusable for this not to be discussed every single week of the season as they game plan for the next week.  Also, all kids getting game action should have conversations in meetings about the previous games tape and improvements and highlights that are addressed.    I hate to pile on, but it really shows Gus is not capable of running a big time program because you just don't miss things like this if even the most basic of system to track was in place.

You are probably right. Wasn't there something about him being put in, but the play shouldn't have counted because there was a penalty and he didn't actually play the snap? Or am I remembering it wrong?

50 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

You are probably right. Wasn't there something about him being put in, but the play shouldn't have counted because there was a penalty and he didn't actually play the snap? Or am I remembering it wrong?

You aren't

I am completely astounded that people still defend the staff in this situation. 

Want to defend them over pretty much everything else, fine. Want to defend running it up the gut 7,499 times in a row after a 1st down, fine. Want to defend our playbook having 6 total plays, fine. Want to defend our pee wee WR route tree, fine. Want to defend players being pigeonholed into very specific non variable roles, fine. Want to defend every single other idiotic move they have made over the last half decade (which is a LOT,) FINE

Defending them about THIS is beyond belief. Saying "I don't know what to believe" is astounding. It's QUITE clear what to believe. Saying "it could of been someone on this site who told his mother that" is mind boggling. You realize you are calling  Asa's mother a liar saying that. Asa's mother told us what to believe. You think for ONE MILLISECOND she doesn't know who is and isn't a coach on this staff?!?!?!?!?!? 

There is NO EXCUSE for defending this. NONE

18 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I am completely astounded that people still defend the staff in this situation. 

Want to defend them over pretty much everything else, fine. Want to defend running it up the gut 7,499 times in a row after a 1st down, fine. Want to defend our playbook having 6 total plays, fine. Want to defend our pee wee WR route tree, fine. Want to defend players being pigeonholed into very specific non variable roles, fine. Want to defend every single other idiotic move they have made over the last half decade (which is a LOT,) FINE

Defending them about THIS is beyond belief. Saying "I don't know what to believe" is astounding. It's QUITE clear what to believe. Saying "it could of been someone on this site who told his mother that" is mind boggling. You realize you are calling  Asa's mother a liar saying that. Asa's mother told us what to believe. You think for ONE MILLISECOND she doesn't know who is and isn't a coach on this staff?!?!?!?!?!? 

There is NO EXCUSE for defending this. NONE

No defense it was a bad mistake...I would like to know who was handling the rotation and determining who would play. Usually that’s an asst coach responsibility up to the OC with ultimate blame on the HC. I could imagine we may see some potential coaching changes reassignments come post signing day...

Going to be some very sad Auburn fans if we keep screwing athletes......we're already mediocre with talent. Wait when the talent take a step back

Radio talking head in Jacksonville, Fl. said he was going to Miami this weekend and was expecting to sign with them on Wednesday....wish him the best in his new venue...

15 hours ago, Barnacle said:

What makes you think that Shivers doesn't have the ability to make defenders miss that our other backs do? I think you are underestimating him, especially if you are comparing him to Asa. Boobee will continue to be the "go-to" back that Malzahn desires in his offense. That leaves Shivers and Joiner. Shivers is immensely talented, as we saw this season and his role will likely increase next season. I'm not at all concerned about the two-deep.

The question last year was "can Kmart be an every down back". We know now that the answer to that question doesn't really matter - because he isn't going to be an every down back for Gus Malzahn, barring injuries. Shivers passed him, and that just is what it is. I would imagine that he will continue to contribute in the same limited capacity that he did this season. 

Joiner certainly has potential, but it's hard to speculate when he barely touched the ball. 

As for incoming freshman? Who knows at this point. 

So we have: 

RB1: Whitlow
RB2: Shivers
RB3: Kam Martin OR Harold Joiner OR Incoming Freshman?

It's not an absolute disaster, but injuries could become very problematic for us. 

Great post. I chose not to respond about Shivers because I didn't want to turn into aggro dick Loof. Glad I left it to you.

Only one small note: Don't forget about our dude Malik Miller. He is a pass-blocking, clock-burning role filler for sure. And maybe more. Could be another Peyton Barber. Or maybe he really could transition over to more like an Eric Smith role. I've fought against the notion that he should be an HBack, but I don't see an obvious successor to Cox. I like Schenker, but we need at least 1 more guy there and I don't see another candidate unless I'm forgetting someone. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Great post. I chose not to respond about Shivers because I didn't want to turn into aggro dick Loof. Glad I left it to you.

Only one small note: Don't forget about our dude Malik Miller. He is a pass-blocking, clock-burning role filler for sure. And maybe more. Could be another Peyton Barber. Or maybe he really could transition over to more like an Eric Smith role. I've fought against the notion that he should be an HBack, but I don't see an obvious successor to Cox. I like Schenker, but we need at least 1 more guy there and I don't see another candidate unless I'm forgetting someone. 

I would add in there that Joiner isn't a RB. He wasn't recruited to be a RB and he hasn't practiced with RBs. 

Why do people (not you loof) have such a hard time remembering Joiner was recruited in the mold of Charles Clay? A do it all who is mainly a TE but can also be a WR, RB, FB and wildcat QB. 

Unless something drastic happens, Joiner wasn't and isn't ever going to be RB1 at Auburn. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I would add in there that Joiner isn't a RB. He wasn't recruited to be a RB and he hasn't practiced with RBs. 

Why do people (not you loof) have such a hard time remembering Joiner was recruited in the mold of Charles Clay? A do it all who is mainly a TE but can also be a WR, RB, FB and wildcat QB. 

Unless something drastic happens, Joiner wasn't and isn't ever going to be RB1 at Auburn. 

I must have missed that part on Joiner. Weren't his only snaps this season as a RB?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks. I knew I was forgetting someone. 

I've also completely forgotten that Cox is a senior. That dude is going to be sorely missed.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Okay, but all of those articles quote our coaches as saying he will primarily play running back. Which sort of answers your question.

Yeah. I was one who proclaimed in the offseason that Joiner wouldn't play RB, but I think we were wrong. He surprised and impressed in camp and got at least a few snaps at RB in one of the cupcake games early. Of course, who knows what the hell is going to happen around here from one day to the next. 

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Okay, but all of those articles quote our coaches as saying he will primarily play running back. Which sort of answers your question.

Yeah they told him that because he was intent in playing RB. Kinda like how Auburn told Jason Smith he would be QB. 

And I know for a fact I saw somewhere on here, ITAT, or the Rant that Joiner has been practicing with tight ends not RB. 

Joiner will never be RB1 at Auburn. I don't like it, he was my favorite recruit of that class. I felt he had the it factor at RB. But just watch. And I will try and find who said Joiner has been practicing with TEs and not RB.

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah they told him that because he was intent in playing RB. Kinda like how Auburn told Jason Smith he would be QB. 

And I know for a fact I saw somewhere on here, ITAT, or the Rant that Joiner has been practicing with tight ends not RB. 

Joiner will never be RB1 at Auburn. I don't like it, he was my favorite recruit of that class. I felt he had the it factor at RB. But just watch. And I will try and find who said Joiner has been practicing with TEs and not RB.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out why other people assume, like I have, that he is primarily a running back.

12 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Radio talking head in Jacksonville, Fl. said he was going to Miami this weekend and was expecting to sign with them on Wednesday....wish him the best in his new venue...

Well Miami has lots of room for commits of any sort since they have had 15 decommitted in the last few months

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Well Miami has lots of room for commits of any sort since they have had 15 decommitted in the last few months

Did Richt tell Uncle Luke that he couldn't supply the "entertainment" at the 4th of July BBQ anymore? 

49 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out why other people assume, like I have, that he is primarily a running back.

I get it. He was a higher rated RB than Asa. Joiner was the #5 overall RB in the class and Asa was the #9 RB in the class. 

However, the Charles Clay comparison is always mentioned in regards to Joiner. Clay wasn't RB1. Clay is a TE in the NFL now. 

Also so far I can't find the post about Joiner practicing with TEs, but here are a couple posts from his recruiting thread from someone who everyone here (myself included) holds in high regard.

Yes it says primary is RB, but again, that's like we took Jason Smith as an athlete with the primary position as QB... and he was there for a few weeks.

I know for a fact I saw someone say he has been practicing with the TEs and not RBs. I almost want to say it was WarDamnEagleWDE but I could be wrong. There are just so many posts to go through. 

Screenshot_20181214-102143.png

Screenshot_20181214-102242.png

39 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I get it. He was a higher rated RB than Asa. Joiner was the #5 overall RB in the class and Asa was the #9 RB in the class. 

However, the Charles Clay comparison is always mentioned in regards to Joiner. Clay wasn't RB1. Clay is a TE in the NFL now. 

Also so far I can't find the post about Joiner practicing with TEs, but here are a couple posts from his recruiting thread from someone who everyone here (myself included) holds in high regard.

Yes it says primary is RB, but again, that's like we took Jason Smith as an athlete with the primary position as QB... and he was there for a few weeks.

I know for a fact I saw someone say he has been practicing with the TEs and not RBs. I almost want to say it was WarDamnEagleWDE but I could be wrong. There are just so many posts to go through. 

Screenshot_20181214-102143.png

Screenshot_20181214-102242.png

Like I said man, I'm not disagreeing with you. I have no idea what the staff's actual intentions are for Joiner, but since his only snaps were (as far as I remember) as a running back, and as the coaches have stated many times that his primary role is running back, I'd say it's fair for people to think of him as a running back before they think of him as anything else. And, it makes sense to include him in conversations about RB depth. 

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

And, it makes sense to include him in conversations about RB depth. 

Especially now. All I'm saying is that he himself said "Gus showed me tapes of Charles Clay and told me that was the plan for me."

Clay isn't a RB. Don't get me wrong, he still got carries. It helps a team that uses a hurry up offense to have a Swiss army knife player like that. When 1 player can line up at WR, TE, FB, RB, or QB (in the Wildcat) it stops the need to substitute as much. All I'm saying is is that RB isn't gonna be his main position. At least it wasn't. Maybe now with Asa leaving and it being doubtful we hit our main RB target he will be. But I know i saw somewhere he was practicing with TEs. So who knows...

This is silly.  They definitely screwed up and the way to avoid is to not have him dressed out.   Unfortunately with new rules things like this happen and they have to learn to assign responsibilities to individuals so this does not happen again   

However, you see coaches in the NFL constantly screw up with regular tasks such as clock management, etc.... so it is not like this is a Gus only thing

On 12/10/2018 at 10:27 AM, aubearcat said:

Hasn’t he already announced his decision that he’s leaving AUburn after this season?

Yes. He (Stidham) can also still change his mind. If/when he becomes ineligible because of the pro draft, I'll count him.

How bout Joiner as a OLB? Dude's got the frame for it. And at the rate of our recruiting we aren't going to meet our needs anytime soon on the other side of the ball. Wonder if this has ever been considered. This guy needs to see the field though thats for sure.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:15 AM, aubaseball said:

I believe it was the MSU game that CA got the start.   There were several plays if you go back and watch that the effort was not there.   Fundamentals aside, if you don’t put out effort then AU is not missing much with him not on the team

LOL.  The only decent OT we've recruited in years and you're gonna s*** on him as a freshman.  Beautiful.

Archived