Sign in to follow this  
aubiefifty

Asa Martin (update transferring)

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hope he does OK at Miami but no coach has consistently underutilized talent than Richt....which is why he is no longer at Uga.  

Living down this neck of the woods and seeing quite a bit of Miami press....they hate Richt as much as so many here hate Gus.  Asa may have gone from frying pan to the fryer TBH.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




17 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Living down this neck of the woods and seeing quite a bit of Miami press....they hate Richt as much as so many here hate Gus.  Asa may have gone from frying pan to the fryer TBH.

No idea what's been going on down there but sure seems like an oil and water situation. Very, very different than his time at uga. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, McLoofus said:

No idea what's been going on down there but sure seems like an oil and water situation. Very, very different than his time at uga. 

It's eeirly reminiscent of reading how "we" feel about Gus.

Stubborn, micromanaging, misusing players, players unhappy and transferring....

Their signing class reeked (highest rating at 37th) and he's got yet another QB threatening to transfer.

Their DC, Manny Diaz, couldn't get out of there fast enough taking Temple's HC gig.  Granted, that's a step up but I think he wanted out anyway.

Richt & Gus are kindred spirits ATM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

It's eeirly reminiscent of reading how "we" feel about Gus.

Stubborn, micromanaging, misusing players, players unhappy and transferring....

Their signing class reeked (highest rating at 37th) and he's got yet another QB threatening to transfer.

Their DC, Manny Diaz, couldn't get out of there fast enough taking Temple's HC gig.  Granted, that's a step up but I think he wanted out anyway.

Richt & Gus are kindred spirits ATM.

Not exactly....Miami had a dozen de-commits in recent months whereas AU seems to have none despite efforts by PTB, school administration, state media and AU chat boards to undermine the coaching staff.      There was a piece not long ago that they decommits were rated higher than the commits. 

So meanwhile Miami takes a guy who could not get on the field regularly at AU …and will have to wait a season to see if he can play in the ACC.   :dunno: .

I'd much rather be in Auburn's situation...JMO

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

meanwhile Miami takes a guy who could not get on the field regularly at AU 

They also desperately took Jakai Clark, a OL commit that we decided to stop recruiting. That says something considering we are weak at OL as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not exactly....Miami had a dozen de-commits in recent months whereas AU seems to have none despite efforts by PTB, school administration, state media and AU chat boards to undermine the coaching staff.      There was a piece not long ago that they decommits were rated higher than the commits. 

So meanwhile Miami takes a guy who could not get on the field regularly at AU …and will have to wait a season to see if he can play in the ACC.   :dunno: .

I'd much rather be in Auburn's situation...JMO

I agree in spirit, though our reasoning may differ a bit.

At least Gus has been officially put into a put up or shut up situation. I feel reasonably certain that Gus will be gone after '19. That gives me hope for the future at least.  

I'm not sure what Miami is going to do.  I'm AMAZED they didn't fire Richt so they have some weird behind the scenes there for sure.  Who knows what they're going to do...Richt could certainly win 8-9 and save his job in the ACC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not exactly....Miami had a dozen de-commits in recent months whereas AU seems to have none despite efforts by PTB, school administration, state media and AU chat boards to undermine the coaching staff.      There was a piece not long ago that they decommits were rated higher than the commits. 

So meanwhile Miami takes a guy who could not get on the field regularly at AU …and will have to wait a season to see if he can play in the ACC.   :dunno: .

I'd much rather be in Auburn's situation...JMO

Dang man stop with the pot shots lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DAG said:

Dang man stop with the pot shots lol

Aw, come on. I like the bit about the vast anti-Gus conspiracy. Literally every single other person in the Auburn universe is in on it. That's some drama I can really sink my teeth into. Game of Thrones got nothin' on Everyone's Trying to Murder Gus. Chaos is a ladder!

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Aw, come on. I like the bit about the vast anti-Gus conspiracy. Literally every single other person in the Auburn universe is in on it. That's some drama I can really sink my teeth into. Game of Thrones got nothin' on Everyone's Trying to Murder Gus. Chaos is a ladder!

 

JMO but Gus was not the potential victim....it was Auburn and it's football program.   Just saying that casting aspersions about the program's stability, coachers other than Gus,  the character or the school's president, BOT members or whatever?   .....I'd like to see AU get the best talent we can...not for the sake of Gus...but for viability of the program....and for the next coach if Gus does not make it past next season.   Gus will get fired sooner or later...it's the AUburn way....but nice for his successor not to find an empty cabinet. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but Gus was not the potential victim....it was Auburn and it's football program.   Just saying that casting aspersions about the program's stability, coachers other than Gus,  the character or the school's president, BOT members or whatever?   .....I'd like to see AU get the best talent we can...not for the sake of Gus...but for viability of the program....and for the next coach if Gus does not make it past next season.   Gus will get fired sooner or later...it's the AUburn way....but nice for his successor not to find an empty cabinet. 

I don't disagree with much of what you say here, except classifying Gus as a victim.

Yes, there are odd things afoot right now but Gus, himself, made this bed.  

Beyond that, the rest of your post, I'm on board with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

don't disagree with much of what you say here, except classifying Gus as a victim.

Well guess I should have said that Gus was the "target" instead of victim.

And whether he deserved all the grief ….that's a different issue in my view and maybe some people felt the end justified the means?      The problem is that in going after Gus.....there was a good probability that Auburn would be the collateral damage...which might have been OK with some people out there in the state...but which was of concern to me.   I'm just happy that we have the core of a good class and some time to work on the blanks in the recruiting map.   

Having some open slots in my view is not bad and I've gotten to appreciate the benefits of bringing in Grad Transfers and Jucos when you need to fill a hole somewhere. .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't disagree with much of what you say here, except classifying Gus as a victim.

Yes, there are odd things afoot right now but Gus, himself, made this bed.  

Beyond that, the rest of your post, I'm on board with.

Are you absolving the other "villains" in this tale of wrong-doing?  CGM has made plenty of mistakes, but it's rather absurd to suggest he's the only one to blame.  

WDE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Are you absolving the other "villains" in this tale of wrong-doing?  CGM has made plenty of mistakes, but it's rather absurd to suggest he's the only one to blame.  

WDE!

If you are to believe (as I do) much of the "shenanigans" that have gone on over the years, much of it has actually saved Gus from himself.

Left to his own devices, I believe AU would already have a different HC...maybe 2-3 years ago.

What's been going on since this year's IB is merely reality TV, but again it's created by Gus' inabilities.  Say what you will about contract negotiating morons...

Edited by AUsince72
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

It's eeirly reminiscent of reading how "we" feel about Gus.

Stubborn, micromanaging, misusing players, players unhappy and transferring....

Their signing class reeked (highest rating at 37th) and he's got yet another QB threatening to transfer.

Their DC, Manny Diaz, couldn't get out of there fast enough taking Temple's HC gig.  Granted, that's a step up but I think he wanted out anyway.

Richt & Gus are kindred spirits ATM.

Interesting, but looking at both schools history, I can see why Richt isn't accepted even though he has a tremendous W-L record over a long period of time and I believe he is an alumnus of Miami.  Auburn has a history before the 80's of being a good football school. Miami's best player during that time was probably Chuck Foreman. Then they got Schellenberger a Bear disciple to get some notoriety, and then Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Erickson, and Coker. Not the most godly, family men you would look for to coach football. Richt isn't in that mold of undisciplined swagger in your face talking crap and backing it up that they have been used to in the past.  He is much more like Gus so I can see how they would get frustrated with him if he doesn't start producing some championships soon.  They need more Shapiro and "Boats and Ho's" to reach their potential.  Or, I dunno, maybe put a clock on the turnover chain?

Image result for flavor flav clock necklace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If you are to believe (as I do) much of the "shenanigans" that have gone on over the years, much of it has actually saved Gus from himself.

Left to his own devices, I believe AU would already have a different HC...maybe 2-3 years ago.

What's been going on since this year's IB is merely reality TV, but again it's created by Gus' inabilities.  Say what you will about contract negotiating morons...

I don't disagree with any of that, but he hasn't been left to his own devices, so I'm not on board with blaming him for everything that goes wrong.

I fault CGM for a lot of what's going on, and it is indeed a shame all the other mess throughout his tenure has muddied the waters regarding whether he is or isn't a viable HC for Auburn.  But CGM's shortcomings didn't create this entire situation and they don't absolve the folks that have been perpetrating shenanigans at Auburn since before CGM was a high school coordinator.  Our problems aren't going to go away with Malzahn because he's not the only source of the problems.

WDE!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 2:27 PM, AU64 said:

Not exactly....Miami had a dozen de-commits in recent months whereas AU seems to have none despite efforts by PTB, school administration, state media and AU chat boards to undermine the coaching staff.      There was a piece not long ago that they decommits were rated higher than the commits. 

So meanwhile Miami takes a guy who could not get on the field regularly at AU …and will have to wait a season to see if he can play in the ACC.   :dunno: .

I'd much rather be in Auburn's situation...JMO

Sounds like us at any given point the last few years.....and not getting on the field with us proves nothing with the way we've handled talent the last few years offensively

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Sounds like us at any given point the last few years.....and not getting on the field with us proves nothing with the way we've handled talent the last few years offensively

Not even close....time for you to go back to basketba!!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not even close....time for you to go back to basketba!!  :)

Not close? Don't know who you've been watching. We just say we don't want them anyway when we lose recruits. 

I'm just as right in football as basketball. Played both!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 11:19 PM, MadtownTiger said:

I don't disagree with any of that, but he hasn't been left to his own devices, so I'm not on board with blaming him for everything that goes wrong.

I fault CGM for a lot of what's going on, and it is indeed a shame all the other mess throughout his tenure has muddied the waters regarding whether he is or isn't a viable HC for Auburn.  But CGM's shortcomings didn't create this entire situation and they don't absolve the folks that have been perpetrating shenanigans at Auburn since before CGM was a high school coordinator.  Our problems aren't going to go away with Malzahn because he's not the only source of the problems.

WDE!

Which of our shortcomings are not directly because of Gus being terrible in all facets?

Gus has been given a huge crutch by having defensive coaches forced on him, which allowed him to hang around much longer than he otherwise would have, drawing that lofty salary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, L I G E R said:

Which of our shortcomings are not directly because of Gus being terrible in all facets?

Gus has been given a huge crutch by having defensive coaches forced on him, which allowed him to hang around much longer than he otherwise would have, drawing that lofty salary.

OL Recruiting - Gus
QB Recruiting - Gus
RB Recruiting - Gus
Offensive Coaching Staff - Gus
Defensive Coaching Staff - not Gus, never has been (thank the gods).
Player Evaluation - Gus
Player Development - Gus
Program Management - Gus
Offensive Gameplan - Gus

See, he has not made EVERY decision in the Gus Malzahn Error.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 8:25 AM, L I G E R said:

Which of our shortcomings are not directly because of Gus being terrible in all facets?

Gus has been given a huge crutch by having defensive coaches forced on him, which allowed him to hang around much longer than he otherwise would have, drawing that lofty salary.

What the hell did a high school coach in Arkansas have to do with Jetgate?  How did he influence the decisions to keep promoting Jay Jacobs?  What did he have to do with the SACS accreditation scandal?  When did Gus Malzahn organize our GOBN?

I blame CGM for the things he can control.  Auburn has much, much deeper problems that have been recurring for decades.  And until someone like dink comes in and forces EVERYONE either in line or out the door those problems will persist.

WDE!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 8:25 AM, L I G E R said:

Gus has been given a huge crutch by having defensive coaches forced on him, which allowed him to hang around much longer than he otherwise would have, drawing that lofty salary.

 

11 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Defensive Coaching Staff - not Gus, never has been (thank the gods).

Actually this is incorrect.  Gus played a big part in landing Muschamp and Steele.  WDE said this I think on Friday if I remember correctly.  Can’t remember which thread but I think it was in recruiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

 

Actually this is incorrect.  Gus played a big part in landing Muschamp and Steele.  WDE said this I think on Friday if I remember correctly.  Can’t remember which thread but I think it was in recruiting. 

Steele is here because he needed the years in the AL retirement system and he has family here.  Muschamp was not wanted by Gus, and exactly like Ellis Johnson and Kevin Steele was brought in by "handlers".

Feel free to share what you've heard and I'll do the same.

  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Steele is here because he needed the years in the AL retirement system and he has family here.  Muschamp was not wanted by Gus, and exactly like Ellis Johnson and Kevin Steele was brought in by "handlers".

Feel free to share what you've heard and I'll do the same.

No problem.  Here are two quotes from WDE from the Bentley thread.

“Do what? This isn't true. I'm not a huge Gus fan by any stretch but Gus played a huge role in getting Will. All the PTB stuff is WAY WAY over blown.”

“Gus hasn’t been forced to do anything. Gus might have been strongly advised to do things. But forced? No. Gus has been given more power to do what he wants than any coach since Dye. With that sad you better produce. He hasn’t. ”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

No problem.  Here are two quotes from WDE from the Bentley thread.

“Do what? This isn't true. I'm not a huge Gus fan by any stretch but Gus played a huge role in getting Will. All the PTB stuff is WAY WAY over blown.”

“Gus hasn’t been forced to do anything. Gus might have been strongly advised to do things. But forced? No. Gus has been given more power to do what he wants than any coach since Dye. With that sad you better produce. He hasn’t. ”

I don't know who WDE is, but I believe he/she is incorrect on the issue of defensive hires.  Just look at when we hired Steele, Gus wanted that nobody from USF and all of a sudden he's put in the corner where he belongs and Kevin Steele is named as DC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this