Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

21 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I don't know who WDE is, but I believe he/she is incorrect on the issue of defensive hires.  Just look at when we hired Steele, Gus wanted that nobody from USF and all of a sudden he's put in the corner where he belongs and Kevin Steele is named as DC.

I thought you may have known him.  His full username is  @WarDamnEagleWDE.  He is on the other forum you are on apparently because he commented that he was surprised you and Liger came over. WDE is pretty connected in the program and is usually right on everything he says from what I can see.  It may be tough to hear sometimes, but he knows what he is taking about.  Highly regarded.  I tagged him for an informal introduction.  👌

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I thought you may have known him.  His full username is  @WarDamnEagleWDE.  He is on the other forum you are on apparently because he commented that he was surprised you and Liger came over. WDE is pretty connected in the program and is usually right on everything he says from what I can see.  It may be tough to hear sometimes, but he knows what he is taking about.  Highly regarded.  I tagged him for an informal introduction.  👌

Must be on AU rivals, drawing a blank right now though.  I haven't been over there in almost 2 years.

I am not doubting his reputation or info, just explaining that I have heard the exact opposite from others who I trust, and the signs are all there if you followed the story of both of the last 2 defensive coordinator hires.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Not to mention the relationships we messed up in the north west region.....

Asa transferred HS 3 times, I doubt we have messed up any relationships.   In reality that area has always been AL or UT.  

Others had similar issues with redshirts but don’t get the negative press that Gus does.   It is a new rule so not surprised there were some screw ups, just wish it wasn’t us    

57 minutes ago, lala said:

Asa transferred HS 3 times, I doubt we have messed up any relationships.   In reality that area has always been AL or UT.  

Others had similar issues with redshirts but don’t get the negative press that Gus does.   It is a new rule so not surprised there were some screw ups, just wish it wasn’t us    

Don't matter if he transferred or not and to give up an entire section of a state and say they are Alabama doesn't make sense. I'm from the area so I know that's not true. Miss st has gotten two all SEC players from here and actually one might be all SEC this year. Just have to offer

25 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Are you the worst?

Who are you? Why do you keep writing me these stupid messages? You just keep arguing with the most informed posters on the board.....somebody will notice you then...

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Don't matter if he transferred or not and to give up an entire section of a state and say they are Alabama doesn't make sense. I'm from the area so I know that's not true. Miss st has gotten two all SEC players from here and actually one might be all SEC this year. Just have to offer

We aren’t giving up.   My poorly worded point is his propensity for transferring is known and will not hurt us.    

This has been a difficult area for us historically but with our a Memphis connections maybe it will change.   

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Since Asa transferred to Miami, Fla, I hope he puts up BUG stats all year and Malzahn will have to hear about it.

How many insects die from people stepping on them, daily?

A biologist in the Netherlands, Arnold van Vliet did an experiment to see how many insects were killed by cars on a daily basis. He asked people within an area to count the number of squished bugs on their front license plates per distance traveled. All told, over the course of six weeks and 19,184 miles of travel, the bodies of no less than 17,836 insects were counted. That averages to two insects killed in that particular, small, area of the vehicle for every 6.2 miles traveled. I live in Florida where “love bugs” are a statewide scourge every summer. They migrated from Central America to the U.S. in the 50’s and seem to enjoy spawning on highways. They don’t cause any harm at all…except to the paint on vehicles during certain months of the year. If van Vliet had counted smashed insects here he would have had a much larger number. A similar bug survey conducted in the UK found about the same average of insects killed by cars per distance traveled. So, for the fun of it, using van Vliet’s formula with US driving statistics, (not every state has front license plates in the US but a comparable surface area on the windshields would suffice) with 200 million cars in the US, driven an average of 12,500 miles per year, the entire nation travels approximately 2.5 trillion miles annually, and kills around 32.5 trillion insects in the process!

-------------

You're right.  It's fascinating.  I think Asa should share these bug stats with Gus ASAP!

30 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

A biologist in the Netherlands, Arnold van Vliet did an experiment to see how many insects were killed by cars on a daily basis. He asked people within an area to count the number of squished bugs on their front license plates per distance traveled. All told, over the course of six weeks and 19,184 miles of travel, the bodies of no less than 17,836 insects were counted. That averages to two insects killed in that particular, small, area of the vehicle for every 6.2 miles traveled. I live in Florida where “love bugs” are a statewide scourge every summer. They migrated from Central America to the U.S. in the 50’s and seem to enjoy spawning on highways. They don’t cause any harm at all…except to the paint on vehicles during certain months of the year. If van Vliet had counted smashed insects here he would have had a much larger number. A similar bug survey conducted in the UK found about the same average of insects killed by cars per distance traveled. So, for the fun of it, using van Vliet’s formula with US driving statistics, (not every state has front license plates in the US but a comparable surface area on the windshields would suffice) with 200 million cars in the US, driven an average of 12,500 miles per year, the entire nation travels approximately 2.5 trillion miles annually, and kills around 32.5 trillion insects in the process!

-------------

You're right.  It's fascinating.  I think Asa should share these bug stats with Gus ASAP!

All I can say is we need a lot more cars driving on my street each summer. 😁

1 hour ago, lala said:

We aren’t giving up.   My poorly worded point is his propensity for transferring is known and will not hurt us.    

This has been a difficult area for us historically but with our a Memphis connections maybe it will change.   

I don't know and coaches...you may be right about that, but within the community there's definitely talk going on about the situation that transpired. So a guy like Goodwin who transferred to Birmingham that's a top running back in the state.....it could have effects

8 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

-------------

You got way to much time on your hands

I hate that Asa is transferring. He looked physically like an sec back but to me he appeared to need more development than the backs ahead of him. One case I remember was against misstate where we needed less than a yard for a first down. Tega had inside leverage on the de but Asa decided to bounce it outside. The de said thank you. RB 101 teaches backs to run off the butts of their line but Asa thought otherwise which tells me he was not coached well in high school. 

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You got way to much time on your hands

Haha, yeah.  For the last months, I do.

3 minutes ago, mayor4522 said:

Who cares now that he's gone. His own descion.  Move on to players that want to be at Auburn. 

Amen.   He wasn’t the first and won’t be the last.   

Amen so just remember to have that same energy when we are getting ran over and instead of wanting Gus head just know the team just isn't that good period

17 hours ago, creed said:

I hate that Asa is transferring. He looked physically like an sec back but to me he appeared to need more development than the backs ahead of him. One case I remember was against misstate where we needed less than a yard for a first down. Tega had inside leverage on the de but Asa decided to bounce it outside. The de said thank you. RB 101 teaches backs to run off the butts of their line but Asa thought otherwise which tells me he was not coached well in high school. 

That's really pushing it but I guarantee next season a qb will make an ill advised throw, somebody won't wrap up, somebody will miss a block, somebody will drop a pass. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's really pushing it but I guarantee next season a qb will make an ill advised throw, somebody won't wrap up, somebody will miss a block, somebody will drop a pass. 

No doubt. But hopefully if they get passed on the depth chart they won't pack their bags and leave.

1 hour ago, creed said:

No doubt. But hopefully if they get passed on the depth chart they won't pack their bags and leave.

Clearly that wasn't the case though because he stayed the entire year and he wasn't the starter, but I would hope if any of the other things happen people wouldn't come to the conclusion they weren't coached well or weren't good players....

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Clearly that wasn't the case though because he stayed the entire year and he wasn't the starter, but I would hope if any of the other things happen people wouldn't come to the conclusion they weren't coached well or weren't good players....

I really believe Asa could be a really good player but needed more time. For instance Boobie wasn’t ready the first time I saw him in the spring game. He was running what I consider out of control. Basically the things you would see in a high school back that isn’t in a very good high school system. After one year Boobie looks totally different than what I saw in that spring game. He’s in control and runs with a purpose following the blocking or lack there of at times, but still with a purpose. Worm runs the same way and looks to have been in a better high school system cause he seems to be ahead of where Boobie and Asa were as freshmen. 

2 hours ago, creed said:

I really believe Asa could be a really good player but needed more time. For instance Boobie wasn’t ready the first time I saw him in the spring game. He was running what I consider out of control. Basically the things you would see in a high school back that isn’t in a very good high school system. After one year Boobie looks totally different than what I saw in that spring game. He’s in control and runs with a purpose following the blocking or lack there of at times, but still with a purpose. Worm runs the same way and looks to have been in a better high school system cause he seems to be ahead of where Boobie and Asa were as freshmen. 

They all seemed to have different strengths and weaknesses. I agree with you

3 hours ago, im4aual said:

Isn't it time to stop talking about a player who is no longer at Auburn and move along?

The conversation isn't actually as much about the player as it is about Auburn. A stud recruit who plays a position at which we have had depth issues- organic or manufactured- in recent years just left. Why? What does that tell us about Auburn? Did we screw up or was he really just a malcontent who wasn't good enough? This is an Auburn football forum and this is an Auburn football conversation. 

Archived