Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Free agency is already here. It is becoming more and more like the Wild West. Coaches coming and going, players coming and going, players driving Escalades and entire families being moved across country, and selective enforcement of the number of coaches and staff members. Grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. 

You are pretty much right but it's far from enjoyable in my view...making liars out of lots of folks who see what kind of excuse they think the NCAA will buy.  

Next step is for the power schools to "recruit" diamond in the rough players from lower level schools who look able to play at a higher level and want to step  up immediately.  Not more GT or sitting out a year.   Wait until we see Auburn or bama trading players with Jax State or other FCS schools. 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see the issue. Or even the comparison of the two. 

In my opinion, Fields should NOT get a waiver to play immediately. And Asa SHOULD.

Here is my thinking:

Asa was done in by incompetence. Not pointing any fingers, but someone on the coaching staff COMPLETELY screwed the pooch and somehow could not count to 5.

Fields has this "story" of racist remarks being thrown his way. He was SO WORRIED about his safety, he continued playing the rest of the season, AND he has a sister that is SO WORRIED about her safety (and her brothers) that she is still a UGA athlete. 

One case is not like the other. One was totally screwed over by someone on his former coaching staff... One transferred because he couldn't beat out the starter, and uses a story from months ago (AFTER FINISHING THE SEASON WITH THE SAME TEAM) as the reason he should get immediate playing time. 

One case is not like the other.

21 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Asa was done in by incompetence.

Done in how? He used one year of what he'd hoped would be a three year college stint until he declared early for the draft. He can still blow 'em up at Miami and be right on schedule. Had you asked Martin in August if he expected a five year college career, I can all but guarantee that his answer would have been no. If he really wants to spend five years in college, then he can still do that since he has one transfer year and three more to play. He hasn't lost anything.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Done in how? He used one year of what he'd hoped would be a three year college stint until he declared early for the draft. He can still blow 'em up at Miami and be right on schedule. Had you asked Martin in August if he expected a five year college career, I can all but guarantee that his answer would have been no. If he really wants to spend five years in college, then he can still do that since he has one transfer year and three more to play. He hasn't lost anything.

Yeah he hasn't lost anything. He only grew up an Auburn fan. His choice only came down to Alabama and Auburn.

His words: “Auburn and Alabama were my top two,” Martin said. “Growing up, I was a fan of both teams, and I like both programs and both campuses. But at the end of the day, my instincts kept bringing me back to Auburn. It’s the best place for me and my future.” Link

But yeah he didn't lose anything. Only the confidence in the coaching staff of the team he grew up liking. I mean people who love Auburn, LOVE AUBURN. But sure...he didn't lose A.SINGLE.THING. 

No, I'm sure that he wouldn't of thought he would play 5 years, but I am 100% positive he didn't think the coaches were so incompetent they couldn't count to 5. So not everything we thought before the beginning of the season worked out now did it? 

There is no way to honestly spin, twist, sunshine pump, or rationalize not being able to count to 5. Even from you. Any attempt is being grossly dishonest.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

There is no way to honestly spin, twist, sunshine pump, or rationalize not being able to count to 5. Even from you. Any attempt is being grossly dishonest.

He didn't lose anything in the way of time. He was running 5th string and probably not too happy this past year. What, exactly, did Martin lose by not redshirting this past season? He still has three years of playing eligibility and one year to sit as a redshirt/transfer. If redshirting is such a great thing he'll get to do it this coming season. After that he'll have three more seasons to play. I don't see the damage.

There's a pretty good chance the staff can count to five. What's more likely, they can't count to five or they didn't want to redshirt Martin? I believe the latter.

About loving Auburn, I love Auburn too. That doesn't mean the staff owes me a five year football scholarship.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He didn't lose anything in the way of time. He was running 5th string and probably not too happy this past year. What, exactly, did Martin lose by not redshirting this past season? He still has three years of playing eligibility and one year to sit as a redshirt/transfer. If redshirting is such a great thing he'll get to do it this coming season. After that he'll have three more seasons to play. I don't see the damage.

There's a pretty good chance the staff can count to five. What's more likely, they can't count to five or they didn't want to redshirt Martin? I believe the latter.

About loving Auburn, I love Auburn too. That doesn't mean the staff owes me a five year football scholarship.

Then why would a staff member say after the fifth game played “we want to redshirt asa” when he had already played past the 4 game limit?

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's more likely they can't count to five, because of a mix up of some sort. No way around this one, Mikey.

8 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Then why would a staff member say after the fifth game played “we want to redshirt asa” when he had already played past the 4 game limit?

I saw that remarked upon earlier. I don't know why that might have been said, I wasn't there. Nobody seems to know who made that statement. Was it someone that should have known what he was talking about? Someone else? Did person A say one thing and person B hear something different?

Just now, Rednilla said:

It's more likely they can't count to five, because of a mix up of some sort. No way around this one, Mikey.

Maybe, maybe not. My main point is I don't see what difference it makes. Martin still has three more years to play and another year to redshirt. The issue has been blown up like it's some major catastrophe but it's at best a minor happening.

Just now, Mikey said:

Maybe, maybe not. My main point is I don't see what difference it makes. Martin still has three more years to play and another year to redshirt. The issue has been blown up like it's some major catastrophe but it's at best a minor happening.

I don't disagree with that.

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

You are pretty much right but it's far from enjoyable in my view...making liars out of lots of folks who see what kind of excuse they think the NCAA will buy.  

Next step is for the power schools to "recruit" diamond in the rough players from lower level schools who look able to play at a higher level and want to step  up immediately.  Not more GT or sitting out a year.   Wait until we see Auburn or bama trading players with Jax State or other FCS schools. 

Your second scenario is exactly what I heard Skip Hotlz predict while he was coaching at LaTech. Several years ago, he predicted the Group of 5 would soon be once farm systems for the Power 5. Seems to be headed there. 

9 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

can't see the issue. Or even the comparison of the two. 

In my opinion, Fields should NOT get a waiver to play immediately. And Asa SHOULD.

I didn’t see this coming.

14 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Did Asa play in 4 or 5 games? LOL

BRB: Gotta go get my Texas Instruments calculator that I bought specifically for situations just like this.

Wasn’t the fifth game the one where he went into the game but the play was called dead and he came out. Therefore he didn’t actually play in the fifth game and I could see where this could have led to the confusion of him only playing four. I may be way wrong here, but if this is true it is a honest mistake and therefore not a big deal, because as Mikey said he still has a redshirt left with three years eligibility. Again I may be misremembering.

16 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

But yeah he didn't lose anything. Only the confidence in the coaching staff of the team he grew up liking. I mean people who love Auburn, LOVE AUBURN. But sure...he didn't lose A.SINGLE.THING. 

YES,  YES, YES!!!  The emotional distress clause of the transfer rule... that’s it. 

Not to mention the pass protection requirement; betcha’ a million bucks that was never mentioned during the recruitment process. Damnit......

18 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah he hasn't lost anything. He only grew up an Auburn fan. His choice only came down to Alabama and Auburn.

His words: “Auburn and Alabama were my top two,” Martin said. “Growing up, I was a fan of both teams, and I like both programs and both campuses. But at the end of the day, my instincts kept bringing me back to Auburn. It’s the best place for me and my future.” Link

No, I'm sure that he wouldn't of thought he would play 5 years, but I am 100% positive he didn't think the coaches were so incompetent they couldn't count to 5. So not everything we thought before the beginning of the season worked out now did it? 

According to your quote, he grew up a fan of both Auburn and Alabama. That doesn't happen in this state unless you're just a pure front runner. He wasn't a die hard like we are. He just thought he could come to Auburn and be the man from the day he stepped on campus after Kerryon went pro.

Then Kam Martin was the starter from game one. Then Whitlow, a fellow freshman, overtook Kam Martin as the bell cow. Then Shivers, the other true freshman who is diminutive but built perfectly for a small back, was getting reps ahead of him, too. Even Malik Miller was getting the ball more.

And then the coaching staff goofed because of a misinterpretation of the rules, and Asa Martin lost his redshirt year. Yes, it's unfortunate, but it just means that instead of redshirting during his first year at Auburn, he'll be redshirting while sitting out a year for Miami. Sucks that it worked out that way, but he'll be fine. He doesn't get to have a waiver to play early just because he didn't get a redshirt his first year. If he'd gotten the redshirt the first year, he still would have had to sit out for a year before being able to play, meaning he'd still only have three years to play three, so it balances out.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

According to your quote, he grew up a fan of both Auburn and Alabama. That doesn't happen in this state unless you're just a pure front runner. He wasn't a die hard like we are. He just thought he could come to Auburn and be the man from the day he stepped on campus after Kerryon went pro.

Then Kam Martin was the starter from game one. Then Whitlow, a fellow freshman, overtook Kam Martin as the bell cow. Then Shivers, the other true freshman who is diminutive but built perfectly for a small back, was getting reps ahead of him, too. Even Malik Miller was getting the ball more.

And then the coaching staff goofed because of a misinterpretation of the rules, and Asa Martin lost his redshirt year. Yes, it's unfortunate, but it just means that instead of redshirting during his first year at Auburn, he'll be redshirting while sitting out a year for Miami. Sucks that it worked out that way, but he'll be fine. He doesn't get to have a waiver to play early just because he didn't get a redshirt his first year. If he'd gotten the redshirt the first year, he still would have had to sit out for a year before being able to play, meaning he'd still only have three years to play three, so it balances out.

Society is so exhausting, Let me get this straight, when you found out you burned your red shirt you didn't work harder to crack the line-up for the rest of the year?  You worked harder and still didn't crack the line-up? You are upset because someone made a mistake and the situation, as far as I can tell from the outside handled poorly?

Welcome to life!  I wish Asa and his family all the best, I appreciate his commitment to Auburn, but in the end there is way more here then a burnt red shirt year.    You could have stayed at Auburn played 5 games I mean 4 games next year and still redshirted.

Perspective:

Travis Homer JR RB Miami is basically a 1000 yard back the last 2 seasons with a 6.0 YPC average! Leave him in during mop up time, he gets 1200!  PS Travis ran a 4.31/40

DeeJay Dallas SO RB Miami is 5.7 YPC back a majority I will assume in mop up time.

They have 6 more running backs on the roster from last year:

Of note: Lorenzo Lingard had a YPC of 8.0 and ran 4.27/40. He suffered a season ending injury not sure on his time table to return.  He was 5 star, #2 running back in his class..

Asa is around 4.5/40.  

I hope he bonds with Coach Hickson he looks intense

1 hour ago, eibua12 said:

Society is so exhausting, Let me get this straight, when you found out you burned your red shirt you didn't work harder to crack the line-up for the rest of the year?  You worked harder and still didn't crack the line-up? You are upset because someone made a mistake and the situation, as far as I can tell from the outside handled poorly?

Welcome to life!  I wish Asa and his family all the best, I appreciate his commitment to Auburn, but in the end there is way more here then a burnt red shirt year.    You could have stayed at Auburn played 5 games I mean 4 games next year and still redshirted.

Perspective:

Travis Homer JR RB Miami is basically a 1000 yard back the last 2 seasons with a 6.0 YPC average! Leave him in during mop up time, he gets 1200!  PS Travis ran a 4.31/40

DeeJay Dallas SO RB Miami is 5.7 YPC back a majority I will assume in mop up time.

They have 6 more running backs on the roster from last year:

Of note: Lorenzo Lingard had a YPC of 8.0 and ran 4.27/40. He suffered a season ending injury not sure on his time table to return.  He was 5 star, #2 running back in his class..

Asa is around 4.5/40.  

I hope he bonds with Coach Hickson he looks intense

Trying to figure out how to like this twice....little help here for a greenhorn?

On 1/12/2019 at 9:02 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Free agency is already here. It is becoming more and more like the Wild West. Coaches coming and going, players coming and going, players driving Escalades and entire families being moved across country, and selective enforcement of the number of coaches and staff members. Grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. 

All of this can definitely help the game too. A Bama, OSU or USC was/is going to dominate recruiting in usual conditions unless they’re going through an unparalleled stretch of bad ball or remedial coaching. But this proposed landscape allows a Clemson or an Ole Miss to become a powerhouse talent wise as long as they’re energetic, cutting edge and willing to recruit like the big boys. OM was too sloppy, but the way is there for schools in borderline landlocked parts of southern/midwestern nowhere to come up, as long as they’re willing to tow the line 

there’s gonna be a lot of casualties I think, but theres schools in markets that could make noise that just haven’t due to being scared of the NCAA. I think Houston should be a perennial top 15 program based on: Texas, being located in one of the top 5 cities culturally for many recruits, Texas, playing in a meh conference, and being in Texas. I think Holgorson could make them a monster. He’s just gotta get the want to recruit 

Idk how people see this situation and really think it’s just he was scared of competition or whatever. Every RB knows coming in here they won’t do anything of note until they become a starter, ASA’S PARENTS ALREAY SAID THEY WERENT EXPECTING HIM TO START, so if he wanted to leave because he wasn’t going to be a first year starter, he would’ve left presumably before the year even started or at least soon after that MSU game. 

How do you absolve the program of the blame here? 

16 hours ago, toddc said:

Wasn’t the fifth game the one where he went into the game but the play was called dead and he came out. Therefore he didn’t actually play in the fifth game and I could see where this could have led to the confusion of him only playing four. I may be way wrong here, but if this is true it is a honest mistake and therefore not a big deal, because as Mikey said he still has a redshirt left with three years eligibility. Again I may be misremembering.

His mom told the staff and they ignored her. 

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

His mom told the staff and they ignored her. 

The fact that our coaches didn’t know is ridiculous. But I can’t let go of the fact that in SEC football, a mom is contacting the coach about playing time instead of the player, especially in mid-season. That’s equally ridiculous. 

25 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The fact that our coaches didn’t know is ridiculous. But I can’t let go of the fact that in SEC football, a mom is contacting the coach about playing time instead of the player, especially in mid-season. That’s equally ridiculous. 

I don't think it is unusual at all for parents and coaches to have an open line of communication. Especially at Auburn. I think that's a huge part of our recruiting pitch, actually. And we don't know that Asa didn't talk to the staff first.

Archived