Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Why do you assume that blue blood programs are going to mine lesser programs for talent when they have their pick of blue chip high school guys with full eligibility remaining? 

Jay Prosch ring a bell? 

Why do you assume that a player who is getting quality reps and putting up numbers at a smaller program is going to transfer to a different situation that might not give him the same chance at success? 

Because it happens all the time. See TJ Neal, the Illinois linebacker that GTed to Auburn despite having 109 tackles the previous year.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I hope I never see you complaining about parity in CFB. That will be all.

When did that start?

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Jay Prosch ring a bell? 

Because it happens all the time. See TJ Neal, the Illinois linebacker that GTed to Auburn despite having 109 tackles the previous year.

I believe bigger programs will absolutely try to scavenge smaller programs for their best players if the sit-out rule is eliminated, but I don't think Prosch is a good example.  He was from Alabama and transferred to be closer to his sick mother. . 

2 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I believe bigger programs will absolutely try to scavenge smaller programs for their best players if the sit-out rule is eliminated, but I don't think Prosch is a good example.  He was from Alabama and transferred to be closer to his sick mother. . 

He is a good example though. Players of his talent would be transferring all over the country and wouldn’t need egregious circumstances to justify immediate eligibility. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nailed it.

In both cases, these players are better off because they didn't redshirt. They got to see some actual competition before they redshirt next year. NCAA rules give every new player five years to play four. These guys will have three years to play three after they sit out their transfer year and that would have been the case regardless.

Example: 

What actually happened: A. Martin played last year, sits out his transfer year and has three years to play three at Miami.

Had he redshirted: A. Martin redshirts last year, sits out his transfer year and has three years to play three at Miami.

The only difference is he got some more playing time under his belt. Remember, even after this situation came to light, Martin was given 10 carries for 44 yards against Liberty.

I’m still stumped why he just did not come back and work his way into the rotation...was it a trust factor and he just wanted out?

The current system for transfers actually protects the non-power 5 teams as noted above.   And it seems to work pretty well and provides some stability at all levels.  

As for what is going on with Kendall.   Seems that major schools all over the place are recruiting transfers and many last year were playing transfers......QBs in particular get the most publicity such as Murray at Oklahoma, Patterson at Michigan, Stidham at AU, the guys at Wash State and LSU.... and those are just names that pop into my mind at the moment.  

Although it seems we are heading down the path to free agency, I think it is bad for the players and for college football in general. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

lot of parents continue to advocate on their children's behalf throughout their college careers and even beyond and that is a good thing at least as often as it is bad. Remember that these players are navigating both school and football and they are being pulled in a lot of different directions by a lot of self-interested adults who have decades of experience in getting kids to do what they, the adults, want them to do and not necessarily what is in the kid's best interest.

Let’s not assume the parents aren’t self interested and completely neutral throughout all of this. Parents have paid a lot of money for camps, gas, lodging, private training, etc  so that their son would succeed. It’s adorable but they’re clearly biased. Believe it or not, but every baby out there isn’t cute.

A coach with 100 kids under his direction doesn’t need every mom and pop calling his phone every day. You think Saban allows that? I know my coaches going all the way back to 14yo baseball were all very forthright in that they don’t deal with parents.  

And lets not act like the coaches self (and ahem, team) interests never aligns with his kid’s. When his kids are successful, he can sell it to his recruits. When his kids don’t do well, he gets negatively recruited. When Gus makes mistakes, he gets negatively recruited. That’s how it goes. Is it plausible that he wanted to bring this embarrassment to himself? No. Why are you trying to dig assumptions out of every other posters arguments, but are refusing to see that you have made the biggest assumption of them all: “that Gus didn’t care about Asa’s self interest.” Why would he recruit Asa at all? 

Yeah. Prosch had a very specific reason for leaving Illinois, and it had nothing to do with him thinking that he was going leave a very successful situation to go to an even more successful situation for a brand new coach at a school that lost 9 games the previous season. 

As for GTs, um, okay. I don't think the cross-section of guys who have actually earned their degrees and who are making meaningful contributions to their teams and who actually want to leave is significant. Even if it is, though, the rule is obviously encouraging student-athletes to graduate from college. Um, okay. 

The kids who actually play these sports that a bunch of old people are getting rich off of deserve more say in their career paths. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As for GTs, um, okay. I don't think the cross-section of guys who have actually earned their degrees and who are making meaningful contributions to their teams and who actually want to leave is significant. Even if it is, though, the rule is obviously encouraging student-athletes to graduate from college. Um, okay. 

Red herring. We have been talking about the possible ills of CFB turning into some kind of free agency that is even less restricting than your typical GT. 

Nobody has advanced that GT is a bad thing.

Oh, I see TJ Neal was mentioned. He redshirted and then played 3 full seasons at Illinois. His head coach was fired a week before his redshirt junior season started for mistreatment of his players, among other things. Neal played out the year for the interim head coach. And he graduated. And he transferred. 

So yeah, that's an example of a guy who was "successful" at his previous school and decided to transfer anyway. Even if that did happen all the time, I would be fully in support of every single one of those kids transferring without penalty. 

What do y'all think would be a reasonable compromise between the current transfer rule in which special circumstances (such as a family hardship) are required in order for the sit-out to get waived and going to a system where a player can transfer at any point without having to sit out?  

Should a player be able to transfer to another program mid-season and be eligible to play for the new team immediately? 

Should a player be able to transfer and not sit out a year if there is a coaching change it his current school?  Head coach only?  What if it's his position coach or the OC/DC?

46 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

What do y'all think would be a reasonable compromise between the current transfer rule in which special circumstances (such as a family hardship) are required in order for the sit-out to get waived and going to a system where a player can transfer at any point without having to sit out?  

Midseason, no. Immediately the next season, yes.

The impediments to transferring under any condition are enough to keep this from getting out of hand. Leaving teammates/coaches/friends/girlfriends, possibly moving further from family, finding a school that wants them AND gives them a better chance to succeed, etc. 

Professional sports free agency often means a much more lucrative contract. College free agency means 1) a chance at getting on the field and/or 2) better exposure for the NFL. If #1 is the primary factor, then the team being transferred away from doesn't lose much, and #2 isn't going to be the case very often for guys who are already producing. Look at Carson Wentz. The NFL will find the studs. 

Not to mention, having guys transfer to P5 power houses could be a recruiting tool just like having guys get drafted. But I don't think it would get that far. 

2 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Should a player be able to transfer and not sit out a year if there is a coaching change it his current school?  Head coach only?  What if it's his position coach or the OC/DC?

No for all. Nobody wants to see a team gutted over a fired coach or whatever. As an offering of compromise: new signees could rescind their scholarship if their primary recruiter or position coach leaves within a semester after their arrival. 

The impediments to transferring under any condition are enough to keep this from getting out of hand. Leaving teammates/coaches/friends/girlfriends, possibly moving further from family, finding a school that wants them AND gives them a better chance to succeed, etc

Not necessarily. Even in HS players transfer all the time to further themselves on the football field especially to private academies like IMG. It may not affect long snapper John L Smith, but it could affect the guy that blows up after arriving at the smaller school. 

Not saying that GTs are a bad idea but consider all the guys at AU and other schools who continue to play after they get their degrees....when if they wish, they could go elsewhere as a GT.  

Recent example for AU is Driscoll who came from Mass and there have been others who I can't remember    Again, if it becomes free agency, the Auburns and bamas of the world will be looking at FCS or even the weaker Group of 5 schools for guys who are capable of playing at a higher level or just guys not getting playing time. 

As to this turning into free agency. I’m not sure how many of those players are out there that were missed by P5 teams the first go around. I can see it with graduate transfers because they have developed, but undergraduate  players I’m not so sure. There is always some who fall through the cracks though.

10 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

I'm still stumped why he just did not come back and work his way into the rotation...was it a trust factor and he just wanted out?

Because it's a long, long way from 5th string to the top of the heap. I think he was leaving anyway and the non-issue of the redshirt thing just provided an excuse to blame others for what he was going to do anyway.

I still have my recording of the Liberty game. A. Martin got 10 carries in that game and walkon C.J. Tolbert got six. Anybody not familiar with AU football that looked at that game would clearly think that Tolbert was the more highly rated back. I do wish Martin all the luck in the world going forward but something is going to have to change before he's a P5 starting back. Maybe Miami will move him to safety, that's where UAT was recruiting him to play.

11 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Any chance we move Asa thread to rival team board?

I second...

So.... Asa's still transferred to Miami right?  

He's no longer an Auburn Tiger?

16 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

This thread needs to move or die. Can't believe its still on the front page here.

Posting in the thread is a great way to make it die and/or fall off the front page. 

Clearly a lot of people are still interested in the conversation. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Posting in the thread is a great way to make it die and/or fall off the front page. 

Clearly a lot of people are still interested in the conversation. 

Right? Just ignore the damn thing if you don’t got any input to provide to it. 

Archived