Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

34 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

That is Gus' biggest problem.  He has no connections and he doesn't come from any type of successful coaching tree in his experience.

Image result for tree with no branches

Connections are needed but like Cole said earlier it’s a hungry good coach and recruiter out there somewhere who would jump at the chance to coach in the SEC.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

It really is amazing. It has been a known issue but we just can't get the elite kids to commit to AU. 

Calvin Ashley was about as elite an OT prospect as you could name. Like so many he hasn't panned out at the college level. Asa Martin was a RB everybody wanted but so far he's behind lower rated guys. We are getting some and offering many more. KJ worked out well, and he was highly sought too.

28 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Calvin Ashley was about as elite an OT prospect as you could name.

Do you have any info to update on his status?  Not jacking with you, but seriously curious on his status.

7 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Do you have any info to update on his status?  Not jacking with you, but seriously curious on his status.

You'll have to watch or listen to the Gus Malzahn pre and post game shows and pressers. The answer may be revealed in one of those.

8 hours ago, oracle79 said:

The local radio show in AU has hinted that he is not currently with the team but was pretty vague about the reason and if he would return. 

20 minutes ago, CR said:

The local radio show in AU has hinted that he is not currently with the team but was pretty vague about the reason and if he would return. 

I believe it was the MSU game that CA got the start.   There were several plays if you go back and watch that the effort was not there.   Fundamentals aside, if you don’t put out effort then AU is not missing much with him not on the team

You can't run the ball if the defense is unblocked and setting in the hole before you get the ball. And that's the case for so many games this year. We just saw a blitz where the Lb had no one even touch him before he hit Stidham. 

6 hours ago, CR said:

On this past Tuesdays podcast, Jay Tate said Ashley was not on campus and he intended to ask Malzahn, but did not, at the presser.

Auburn has had several players who were named the state's Mr. Football over the past few years and I think only one amounted to anything 

1. Jeremy Johnson-QB-Need I say more?

2. Rock Thomas-RB-Ended up transferring to Jacksonville St.

3.Kerryon Johnson-RB-He was the straw that stirred Auburn's drink last year until Gus ran him into the ground. By the way, this is the one who amounted to a heck of alot more. About the only one who wasn't surprised by the season he had in 2017 was KJ himsrlf.

4.Asa Martin-RB-Don't know what the problem is but Gus seems to prefer playing anybody other than Asa.

I'm pretty sure all of these players were named Mr. Football in Alabama. If not I apologize for my failing memory.

8 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Auburn has had several players who were named the state's Mr. Football over the past few years and I think only one amounted to anything 

3.Kerryon Johnson-RB-He was the straw that stirred Auburn's drink last year until Gus ran him into the ground.

4.Asa Martin-RB-Don't know what the problem is but Gus seems to prefer playing anybody other than Asa.

I'm pretty sure all of these players were named Mr. Football in Alabama. If not I apologize for my failing memory.

To add to your list, I think Clint Mosley was too ...

34 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

3.Kerryon Johnson-RB-He was the straw that stirred Auburn's drink last year until Gus ran him into the ground. By the way, this is the one who amounted to a heck of alot more. About the only one who wasn't surprised by the season he had in 2017 was KJ himsrlf.

Why y’all say he ran him into the ground...KJ hurt himself on an effort play reaching for the goal line. In hindsight I wish he would have just stepped out at the goal line....but that effort he showed on that play is what made him special.

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

Why y’all say he ran him into the ground...KJ hurt himself on an effort play reaching for the goal line. In hindsight I wish he would have just stepped out at the goal line....but that effort he showed on that play is what made him special.

Just for fun and full boredom has set in while watching turds and corndogs:

Nick Chubb had 227 touches last year at UGA in 15 games. KJ had 309 touches in 14 games. 126 of those in the month of November. 

For comparisons sake:

Tre Mason had 329 touches in 2013. 

CAP- 316 touches 2014.

Peyton Barber- 249 touches in 2015. 

Pettway- 211 touches 2016. 

Ben Tate - 283 touches 2009

Kenny Irons- 270 touches in 2005.

Carnell Williams- 246 and 260 touches respectively in 2003 and 2004 (yes he split time with Ronnie Brown).

Rudi Johnson- 333 touches in 2000

42 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Just for fun and full boredom has set in while watching turds and corndogs:

Nick Chubb had 227 touches last year at UGA in 15 games. KJ had 309 touches in 14 games. 126 of those in the month of November. 

For comparisons sake:

Tre Mason had 329 touches in 2013. 

CAP- 316 touches 2014.

Peyton Barber- 249 touches in 2015. 

Pettway- 211 touches 2016. 

Ben Tate - 283 touches 2009

Kenny Irons- 270 touches in 2005.

Carnell Williams- 246 and 260 touches respectively in 2003 and 2004 (yes he split time with Ronnie Brown).

Rudi Johnson- 333 touches in 2000

But he was hurt on an effort play...it’s not like it was a conditioning injury ...like a hammy or a blown Achilles 

12 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

But he was hurt on an effort play...it’s not like it was a conditioning injury ...like a hammy or a blown Achilles 

Wasn’t arguing. Just thought it’d be interesting to look at touches. 

6 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Wasn’t arguing. Just thought it’d be interesting to look at touches. 

Understood ..he had a lot and early in his career did have a lot of those conditioning injuries...I remember him pulling up lame against somebody on a breakaway run..

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Understood ..he had a lot and early in his career did have a lot of those conditioning injuries...I remember him pulling up lame against somebody on a breakaway run..

Was against Ga Southern in the season opener last year.  

I just finished listening to The Rundown podcast and Jay Tate mentioned that he had caught up with Asa Martin after the game, and asked him a couple of questions.

First question he asked was he injured and Asa aid no.

Then Tate asked him if he was in the trouble in Asa said no.

The final question was why aren't you playing and all Asa could say was he didn't know why. 

1 hour ago, Auburn Kev said:

I just finished listening to The Rundown podcast and Jay Tate mentioned that he had caught up with Asa Martin after the game, and asked him a couple of questions.

First question he asked was he injured and Asa aid no.

Then Tate asked him if he was in the trouble in Asa said no.

The final question was why aren't you playing and all Asa could say was he didn't know why. 

I just have a bad feeling he is going to transfer. 

Its a want to highlight the bad I know, but it seems like so often we just whiff on keeping/developing the tippy top of the line guys. a Trovon Reed, Roc Thomas, other names mentioned in here (Calvin Ashley's tenure here has been depressing honestly), and the defense has a few stories like that as well. Since 2013 other than KJ when we have gotten the supposed superstar back, the situation has flamed out so I cant be too surprised when we miss out on a Noah Cain or that guy that just decommited from UGA. I wish Asa the best, I dont see how he cant see the field with a team that doesnt have their RB hierarchy set by game 9 and has already burnt his redshirt. 

9 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Because he ran him in the ground

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

If Kam and Malik had gotten 10-15% of KJ's touches, maybe he doesn't get hurt and maybe our RB situation would be better this season.  

7 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I just have a bad feeling he is going to transfer. 

Couldn’t blame him. I’m sure he signed with us with the expectation he’d do more than just practice. 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Some months back somebody looked up and posted the number of carries the SEC's leading rusher had each year. KJ's numbers were about average. Derrick Henry had the most, some ridiculous number. Facts don't support the "ran him into the ground" story, KJ's numbers were normal for the SEC rushing leader.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Some months back somebody looked up and posted the number of carries the SEC's leading rusher had each year. KJ's numbers were about average. Derrick Henry had the most, some ridiculous number. Facts don't support the "ran him into the ground" story, KJ's numbers were normal for the SEC rushing leader.

Dammit Cole! You know hou CANNOT be critical of the greatest coach in Auburn history! Get your damn facts straight Cole! 

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I did my own look up and he certainly was ran in the ground. Somebody posted in this thread some stats and you can see it there as well. Not to mention you have to equate that kj missed games hurt but still had those numbers of attempts, and also kj had wonderful hands so his catches should be in play as well....

Archived