Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you did mean "running all the backs into the ground", that's an opinion with no basis in fact. (check doug3020's post, above) Unless you think every coach is running good backs into the ground. I suppose that this year Stoops at Kentucky is running Snell into the ground? What limit would Coach Cole put on his backs? 150 carries a season? 12 carries a game? At what point is every coach in America running his best back into the ground? Do you have a number?

I don't have to reference my opinion on doug's stats because I posted my own. But answer this, as far as his stats how is it that kj played 14 games but he wasn't available for games at the end of the year? 

I would DEFINITELY have enough sense not to run him 31 times against Mercer knowing what I have ahead of me.  Then if you add on that I've ran out of running backs ever since 2014, then yeah coach Cole would make different decisions. 

My basis of fact is here we were again at the end of the year playing a hurt running back and if he doesn't play we have nothing else

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, doug3020 said:

Those stats I posted were total touches, including receptions. Straight off of CBS. 

285 carries isn't all of kj touches for 2017

He had 24 receptions as well so he'd have 309 plays from scrimmage

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

285 carries isn't all of kj touches for 2017

Nope. Why all of those stats are misleading. So much more to this than just carries. How good was the OL he was running behind? Pass catches. BLOCKING, which can take a toll on a RB. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Nope. Why all of those stats are misleading. So much more to this than just carries. How good was the OL he was running behind? Pass catches. BLOCKING, which can take a toll on a RB. 

Right. But these are the arguments they like to have....if stidham had a bad shoulder and normal people would think we don't need to make him throw 60 attempts a game. they would post some air raid offense and say well they did it.....

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But answer this, as far as his stats how is it that kj played 14 games but he wasn't available for games at the end of the year? 

That's easy. He got injured. Whitlow got injured this year. Was he run into the ground? Both Pettway and KJ got slightly injured early last year. Was it because they were run into the ground before the season started?

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's easy. He got injured. Whitlow got injured this year. Was he run into the ground? Both Pettway and KJ got slightly injured early last year. Was it because they were run into the ground before the season started?

You can't be this slow....right they got injured so the stats couldn't be correct as far as saying he played 14 games......maybe 12 games correct? So you do understand how that effects the stats right? As far as saying he had a normal amount of carries he actually was a little higher than normal minus a few games...

And the fact that whitlow still has a bad shoulder......yes he's still hurt because he keeps playing while it's hurt as opposed of sitting a couple of games and it healing up. 

You talk your talk because you want to absolve Gus of anything but as soon as JW drops a pass, fumbles, or misses a block you are going to point the finger at him and say that's why we lost. When the fact of the matter is a bum shoulder makes it more apt for any of those things to happen

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As far as saying he had a normal amount of carries he actually was a little higher than normal minus a few games...

You'd expect the SEC's leading rusher to have a "little higher than normal" carries, right? The point is, 285 carries and 24 catches is not abnormal for a top of the line running back. Some get hurt early, some get hurt late, some get hurt mid-season and some don't get hurt at all. That's the nature of the game.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And the fact that whitlow still has a bad shoulder......yes he's still hurt because he keeps playing while it's hurt as opposed of sitting a couple of games and it healing up. 

You talk your talk because you want to absolve Gus of anything but as soon as JW drops a pass, fumbles, or misses a block you are going to point the finger at him and say that's why we lost. When the fact of the matter is a bum shoulder makes it more apt for any of those things to happen

This year, "why we lost" is most likely going to be the fault of a very disappointing defense.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You'd expect the SEC's leading rusher to have a "little higher than normal" carries, right? The point is, 285 carries and 24 catches is not abnormal for a top of the line running back. Some get hurt early, some get hurt late, some get hurt mid-season and some don't get hurt at all. That's the nature of the game.

Once again higher than normal MINUS 2/3 GAMES! So with the way you see fit we are talking minus another 90-100 carries

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

This year, "why we lost" is most likely going to be the fault of a very disappointing defense.

Now you are just trolling. Do your quotation marks or whatever you want but as far as football clearly you are the dummy here.

Now you are just trolling. Do your quotation marks or whatever you want but as far as football clearly you are the dummy here.

Yes, he is. He's got no interest in a legitimate conversation. 

Yes Boobie was run into the ground. He's no where near 100% and still taking on blockers and running the ball with a bad shoulder and leg. Carries are only part of the picture like what has been mentioned earlier. We have Shivers, Asa, Miller, Kmart, Tolbert, joiner, and if needed Barrett. There is no reason to trot out boobie to get nailed play after play.

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If you think the defense (also Malzahn's responsibility, by the way) hasn't been the most under achieving, disappointing area of this team, you should stick to the basketball forum.

Just now, auburntiger1987 said:

Yes Boobie was run into the ground. He's no where near 100% and still taking on blockers and running the ball with a bad shoulder and leg. Carries are only part of the picture like what has been mentioned earlier. We have Shivers, Asa, Miller, Kmart, Tolbert, joiner, and if needed Barrett. There is no reason to trot out boobie to get nailed play after play.

A good list of back up RBs with almost no ability to pass block.   Boobee was far from 100% but he's a  tough kid with the size and guts to take on pass rushers and try to give JS some time to find his receivers.   Gonna sit him out for a few games to 'heal up"..?  ..which at this point in the season means...see you next year. 

Just now, AU64 said:

A good list of back up RBs with almost no ability to pass block.   Boobee was far from 100% but he's a  tough kid with the size and guts to take on pass rushers and try to give JS some time to find his receivers.   Gonna sit him out for a few games to 'heal up"..?  ..which at this point in the season means...see you next year. 

Malik Miller's a much better pass blocker than Whitlow. 

Just now, Mikey said:

If you think the defense (also Malzahn's responsibility, by the way) hasn't been the most under achieving, disappointing area of this team, you should stick to the basketball forum.

You shouldn't be here at all. The fact that you can't put together an offense leaving a defense on the field practically all day and the effects that would have, means you're literally remedial talking football.....you really shouldn't post

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

There is no way that you know how good anybody is at pass blocking to post this

Just now, cole256 said:

You shouldn't be here at all. The fact that you can't put together an offense leaving a defense on the field practically all day and the effects that would have, means you're literally remedial talking football.....you really shouldn't post

Gus could drop a deuce in Mikey's lunchbox and Mikey would blame the lunchbox. It's pretty weird. 

leaving a defense on the field practically all day

If the defense gets stops, they aren't out there all day.  Basic math.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Gus could drop a deuce in Mikey's lunchbox and Mikey would blame the lunchbox. It's pretty weird. 

It's hilarious to watch them rally for Gus and see the disdain they have for Bruce Pearl

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

If the defense gets stops, they aren't out there all day.  Basic math.

Actually even when they get the stop after a 3 and out they are right back out there. I know you are doing basic arithmetic, but we are talking football and unfortunately you lack in the area of football on a football board of all places.....

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Actually even when they get the stop after a 3 and out they are right back out there. I know you are doing basic arithmetic, but we are talking football and unfortunately you lack in the area of football on a football board of all places.....

Not to mention the very real possibility that Steele's defense is playing conservatively because he knows our offense can't find the endzone. Hence the high number of plays defended vs the low number of touchdowns allowed.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Miller has the ability to pass block. You also have Cox and Shenker that could help in pass pro.  This line of thinking is why we continue to have issues

11 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Miller has the ability to pass block. You also have Cox and Shenker that could help in pass pro.  This line of thinking is why we continue to have issues

Yeah I would think that Cox is our best pass blocker but what do I know.

Archived