Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

5 minutes ago, CR said:

Tate and Matthews have asked constantly about why he's not getting snaps in a depleted RB group. Not starting rumors(Mods), but they assume there's something going on that's gotten him in the doghouse with Gus.

Or he’s just buried in the depth chart...

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of wonder if Gus was worried about him leaving via the new redshirt rule. There were rumors that Kam Martin thought about transferring. Malik Miller was battling injuries early in the season. If Kam and Asa transferred, that would have just left us Whitlow and Shivers as healthy scholarship running backs. Maybe he played them both (both Martins) to ensure we maintained depth at running back.

Either way, the redshirt rule needs to be adjusted. 

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

agree …..though it would have been nice for clear cut decision about A.M......and I guess Horton or Lindsey (or some GA) should be keeping up with stuff like this and maybe making a deliberate decision on the matter rather than stumbling into it.  I sorta agree with the writer on the issue. 

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

I didnt know he was Mr Football,   But clint mosley,  Jeremey johnson, roc thomas dont exactly bring the success rate up. 

Yeah I figured it was those names giving you bad memories.  

2 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

Asa was the recruit I was most excited about this year.  Dude had crazy stats in high school.  Something must be going on in practice.  Other than Boobie, haven't seen much out of the running backs that would warrant not giving Asa a shot.

In practice or in the locker room or away from the field in general. 

2 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

Asa was the recruit I was most excited about this year.  Dude had crazy stats in high school.  Something must be going on in practice.  Other than Boobie, haven't seen much out of the running backs that would warrant not giving Asa a shot.

Dunno.  I get the impression that Gus' focus is tunnel-vision.  You're either prominent on his radar or you're completely off his screen.

47 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Dunno.  I get the impression that Gus' focus is tunnel-vision.  You're either prominent on his radar or you're completely off his screen.

kinda like how he calls plays 

11 hours ago, DAG said:

Why would the NCAA do that when they give you four full games to screw around with without penalty?

Because of the penalty. A technicality that we could benefit from. Coaches screwed up for sure. 

This is about Asa and others....we have lost our chance to win the West.   Asa and others need to play some.

Dag gummit, let's develop these players so we have more depth.    I think we Malik Willis threw the ball like 7 times last year  - for a season!  And we had many blow out wins.   Don't tell me Gus is scared of losing his job and can't.  If he can't figure out how to develop talent, that is another reason to make a change.  No excuses, be a HC and quit micromanaging the O.   Somehow the D seems to make it happen.

It's no wonder he isn't ready!!!   Stupid things like this infuriates me.  

Maybe Asa said "Redshirt? I don't need no stinking redshirt.  I'm gonna be RB1 next year or the year after, win the Heisman and go pro early.  Who cares about redshirts?"

At least that's a better story than Auburn's coaches and assistants are so inept that they blew the kids redshirt....

....or Gus just has too many doghouses....

Why didn't Malzahn play Martin more to keep Whilow from getting hurt and could be out for the next 4 games? I guess that's what 49 million buys us.

41 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Why didn't Malzahn play Martin more to keep Whilow from getting hurt and could be out for the next 4 games? I guess that's what 49 million buys us.

Probably because there are three other RBs between Boobie and Asa. 

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I think the big question is, why is that?  I'll guess...

1) Trust

2) Ball security

3) Attitude

4) Pass protection

5) He's finding his place and will get some reps in situations

6) Etc.

4 hours ago, alexava said:

With all do respect and I mean all do respect , talent wise if he is 5th string what everything besides Whitlow and Shivers WE are in trouble . 

I think it’s just because Gus loves his predictable personnel change playing calling that he doesn’t want to mess that up. 

24 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

With all do respect and I mean all do respect , talent wise if he is 5th string what everything besides Whitlow and Shivers WE are in trouble . 

I think it’s just because Gus loves his predictable personnel change playing calling that he doesn’t want to mess that up. 

I have suspected Asa fumbles in practice. Other than that I’m not sure why he doesn’t get carries. I will give Gus enough credit that I don’t think he’s keeping a better RB off the field whose obviously better than the ones playing. 

9 hours ago, bmartin3228 said:

Earlier in the season, there were rumblings about both Asa and Gatewood being in the doghouse because of attitude problems. At this time I don't recall exactly where the articles were, but they were out there.

About 5th string, we have Whitlow, Shivers, K-mart and Miller for a top 4. Which of those should ASA be ahead of?

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Earlier in the season, there were rumblings about both Asa and Gatewood being in the doghouse because of attitude problems. At this time I don't recall exactly where the articles were, but they were out there.

About 5th string, we have Whitlow, Shivers, K-mart and Miller for a top 4. Which of those should ASA be ahead of?

K-Mart and Miller have no business getting significant carries for us, unless we’re lowering our expectations to meet the capabilities of our current HC.

9 minutes ago, L I G E R said:

K-Mart and Miller have no business getting significant carries for us,

You attend practices and meetings? How cool.

9 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I think the big question is, why is that?  I'll guess...

1) Trust

2) Ball security

3) Attitude

4) Pass protection

5) He's finding his place and will get some reps in situations

6) All of the above  

FTFY

Just now, Mikey said:

Are football games not a reflection of preparation from practices and meetings?

I possess common sense, which tells me whatever we do in practice and meetings isn’t getting it done.

Again, there are countless examples of this.

Just now, Mikey said:

I have and I’ve said the same. Way before the season started. Miller has been ok. K-Mart? No business being the #1 RB to start the season. Lack of recruiting and development by Gus and Tim. 

Just now, L I G E R said:

Are football games not a reflection of preparation from practices and meetings?

Yes they are. That's why some guys start and others are 5th string.

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Bottom line, even with the attitude problem Asa has/had, the staff screwed up. No if ands or but’s to this. No excuse for what happened. 

This alone should have Horton packing. 

Do we know who made the call, Horton, Lindsey or Malzahn?

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This alone should have Horton packing. 

Is he making the call on Asa's PT & role? My guess is that it would be Malzahn.. If not then Horton has a lot to answer for in how he has used our RBs through the years.

Archived