Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'll hand it to you on this: You never run out of negative things to post. You don't even have to repeat yourself very often, you have what seems to be a bottomless drawer of  negatives about the team, coaches and administration. 

I remember, for several years, you had nothing but negative things to post about our LBs and recruiting LBs.  I also remember that you were absolutely correct.  WDE was absolutely correct earlier in the year regarding his observation of our Oline and RBs. I like to hear from people who spread the knowledge and are willing to post, even though it may not be sunshine.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's about as slow as Gus is stubborn. On the plays he's been successful on if we played more talented backs the plays would be more successful. We have 1 & maybe 2 freshmen that qualify.

Yes he’s slow. But he doesn’t get plowed over on blocking plays, he’s not fumbling, and get positive yardage when he plays. I’m not advocating him being our # 1 or even # 2 back, but his results are positive. I love Whitlow and Shivers. I was wrong on Kam Martin. I believed he would be successful this year and that hasn’t been the case. 

9 hours ago, L I G E R said:

K-Mart and Miller have no business getting significant carries for us, unless we’re lowering our expectations to meet the capabilities of our current HC.

It’s pretty simple to see during games. That why If Asa is not better I said we are in trouble . 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Earlier in the season, there were rumblings about both Asa and Gatewood being in the doghouse because of attitude problems. At this time I don't recall exactly where the articles were, but they were out there.

About 5th string, we have Whitlow, Shivers, K-mart and Miller for a top 4. Which of those should ASA be ahead of?

He would be right behind Whitlow and Shivers being the speed factor. from his few run. 

He is a lot faster/agile, and runs with better pad level  then Miller and definitely runs a lot tougher then K-mart. Pretty easy to see , as far as skill/tools . Maybe he doesn’t block good enough because that what Gus only seems to care about with his skill players but doesn’t take same approach to the guys who actually have to block every play .(Oline)

Does  he fumble in practice ? I don’t know I’m not there,  but are you willing to throw Whitlow down in depth chart for his fumble issues ? 

You act like the others are world beaters. I love the fact the are Auburn players and have stayed loyal , but come on. 

13 hours ago, bmartin3228 said:

Do you ? (Attend practices and meetings)

No, but I don't claim to know who should be 1st teamers and who should be bench warmers. I did do a lot of complaining about linebackers but that wasn't about who should be playing, it was about our lack of quality personnel and inadequate recruiting at the position.

32 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, but I don't claim to know who should be 1st teamers and who should be bench warmers. I did do a lot of complaining about linebackers but that wasn't about who should be playing, it was about our lack of quality personnel and inadequate recruiting at the position.

What exactly DO you claim to know? It must be hard to see anything with your head so far up Gus’s ....

Here's the thing...

Since almost none of us are ever privy to practice & meetings, we can only go by the eye tests we receive each and every game day.

Gus has ALWAYS stated that he wants to go with the "hot hand" and that's how he chooses what RB to run into the dirt.  However, Harold Joiner & Asa Martin (just 2 of many examples this year) have both produced very well in their in game opportunities, which you would think would warrant more opportunity but instead they've chosen to give Kam Martin carries (which, I'm sorry to say but he is a disappointment) and run Boobee into the dirt (no matter how injured he is, a la KJ in the SECCG last year).  

Not saying Boobee shouldn't get carries as he's clearly tough and is producing, but again, save some wear & tear on the guy giving Asa, Joiner & Worm more opportunities.  In GAME situations, they've all produced.  It's good Miller has finally gotten some work but his lack of speed will be a liability and he should be used in the H-Back/Fullback role.

Again, I say this because Gus, himself, says he wants to go with the Hot Hand but more often than not he goes AWAY from what works to stick with his bland security blanket.  Same plays & same players....even when they're not working.

On 10/27/2018 at 10:18 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I do beliveve just about everything ive been critical on this past summer has been huge problems this year. 

Unfortunately here when you say something that is true but not what people want to hear you will get berated.....then when it's proven and you were right, you'll get berated if you say "this is what I was saying". They will get you coming or going

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Unfortunately here when you say something that is true but not what people want to hear you will get berated.....then when it's proven and you were right, you'll get berated if you say "this is what I was saying". They will get you coming or going

For what it's worth, this place used to be a lot cooler. 

man some of you guys are singling out two people for being negative but some of the same people pointing fingers have trashed gus and stid so bad the last few weeks i cannot believe y'all would ever have the nerve to call anyone out for saying anything negative. what is wrong with some of you guys. i am crazy as hell but i am honest. i think the british would call some of y'all cheeky. i well let you guys figure out who i am taking a shot at.

If Boobee cannot go, I hope that Asa will get some quality reps along with Shivers & Miller. Miller has soft hands out of the backfield and has shown he can make good yardage on passing downs. I think most of us would love to see Asa get some quality touches no doubt. I hope out backs can give us at least 180 yards of rushing against TAMU. We do this and get close to 230 passing against TAMU, we will have a solid chance to win.

32 minutes ago, alexava said:

After the last few weeks, I have no doubt boobie will go. He may not start or finish but he’ll go. 

Just read where Boobee practiced Tuesday so I gotta believe he’s a go.  That being said I expect Asa to get a couple opportunities this game with Kam being banged up.  Shivers will be the primary go to behind Boobee I’d imagine.  Malik for goal line or 3rd and shorts

On 10/24/2018 at 6:42 PM, Gowebb11 said:

This article was not really about Asa’s role on the team. It was a typical AL.COM piece to take a shot at AU, and infer that our coaches bungled his redshirt year. 

Um... because they did. And it doesn't matter if redshirts matter for anything or not. The fact is the staff completely blew that. It's a series of ineptitude that continues to progress.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:57 AM, AUFriction said:

Or he’s just buried in the depth chart...

If Asa isn't better than Miller and KMart, we are in trouble in the future. Also in the spring, it was said Asa was one of our better pass blocking RBs. He can run backwards faster than Miller. He is bigger than KMart with close to the same speed. 

There is no excuse for Asa to not have gotten playing time with the issues we have had at RB this season.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:35 PM, AUsince72 said:

Maybe Asa said "Redshirt? I don't need no stinking redshirt.  I'm gonna be RB1 next year or the year after, win the Heisman and go pro early.  Who cares about redshirts?"

At least that's a better story than Auburn's coaches and assistants are so inept that they blew the kids redshirt....

....or Gus just has too many doghouses....

Yes, it's a much better story. But its just that. A story. It's not the truth.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:15 AM, L I G E R said:

And now we’ve reached the “well, you’re just a big ole negative person” portion of the discussion.

Seems we’re just about done here.

That's classic Mikey. He is consistent. Gotta give him that. 

10 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

There is no excuse for Asa to not have gotten playing time with the issues we have had at RB this season.

You can’t know this....

I want to start off by saying I am not privy to any practices or team meetings but offensively, at least, there just seems to be too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

I can't believe it took Gus some six years to prove to his team he doesn't need laser spine surgery, that he can stand up for them, not when he has to but when he needs to

I guess we will all find out Saturday if this is the official beginning of the end for Malzahn. :nopityA:

16 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I want to start off by saying I am not privy to any practices or team meetings but offensively, at least, there just seems to be too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

I can't believe it took Gus some six years to prove to his team he doesn't need laser spine surgery, that he can stand up for them, not when he has to but when he needs to

I guess we will all find out Saturday if this is the official beginning of the end for Malzahn. :nopityA:

To be fair, we were saying whether or not the beginning of the end will start with a loss to Ole Miss.

I'd argue by saying the UT game got that ball rolling. If we're ever in a position to where our coach needs to beat Ole Miss for job security I think we've already reached a place where it's inevitable he's not the man for the job and will be shown the door rather soon.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

To be fair, we were saying whether or not the beginning of the end will start with a loss to Ole Miss.

I'd argue by saying the UT game got that ball rolling. If we're ever in a position to where our coach needs to beat Ole Miss for job security I think we've already reached a place where it's inevitable he's not the man for the job and will be shown the door rather soon.

In all honesty the UT game should have been the final nail in the coffin. As much as I would love to see Malzahn headed to the exit door I would much rather love to see Auburn come away with a win.  Kind of damned if we do, damned if we don't.

11 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

In all honesty the UT game should have been the final nail in the coffin. As much as I would love to see Malzahn headed to the exit door I would much rather love to see Auburn come away with a win.  Kind of damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Yup. I'll be glad AU won if we win. I won't be happy AU lost if we lose, but I won't be upset because I think it will be what's best for the long term health of our program. 

18 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Um... because they did. And it doesn't matter if redshirts matter for anything or not. The fact is the staff completely blew that. It's a series of ineptitude that continues to progress.

You can have no idea if there was ever a plan to redshirt A-Mart or not. Just because one writer that has previously been caught in lies wrote it doesn't mean squat.

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You can have every idea if there was ever a plan to redshirt A-Mart or not. Just because one writer that Mikey doesn’t like what he said so he blames the writer to excuse yet another failure of this so-called coach doesn’t mean its not true..

FIFY

Archived