Biggest disappointments of the season

Eagle Eye 7

Last spring Gus admitted he was to conservative in his approch to play calling ( who would have thought😁) and that they were going to give Jarrett the go on audibles at the line of scrimmage . Against Washington I saw some of that, but after it seemed to disappear after that game. I thought it was the perfect setting given Gus’s offense being so predictable. Yet it went away. Not sure if the coaches took it away or JS just quit using it. Has anyone else have a take on this ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing; never believe a word Gus says to the public, always see what he does on Saturdays.  2nd, we, as fans, sometimes read too much into what he says.  An example would be last week Gus said we would see a few more wrinkles in the offense against Ole Miss.  Evidently a few more wrinkles is defined as MW playing 2 consecutive plays handing the ball off followed by JS running a zone read. 

To the point, Gus has had delay of game penalties as it seems he and CCL can’t decide what play to run in time to give JS time to audible. There are issues greater than JS being able to audible and when it reared it’s head the audible thing was it’s first casualty. JMO.

29 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

To the point, Gus has had delay of game penalties as it seems he and CCL can’t decide what play to run in time to give JS time to audible. There are issues greater than JS being able to audible and when it reared it’s head the audible thing was it’s first casualty. JMO.

Completely insane for this to be  happening in their second year together as well as a second year QB. I know it would never happen but considering Gus and Chip can't get on the same page and get a play called just about every drive I would love to see Stidham take over. Get the guys lined up and just run something. Gus would come unglued. 

40 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

First thing; never believe a word Gus says to the public

You mean like when he was asked about that failed 2 pt conversion attempt and he said, "We're gonna be aggressive, that's just how it's gonna be"? Like he was Wyatt King Badass Earp telling Molly McGrath to skin that smokewagon? Eight 50+ yard fg attempts later...

My biggest disappointment has been three loses. Jarrett or Jason or whatever we are calling him has not shown me much in the way of seeing the field and distributing the ball when he doesn't have 5 seconds and an open receiver.. I am not sure he is any more adept to decide what play to run prior to the snap. For all we know he might be doing this or was doing it wrong and had that responsibility recinded.. in all three loses there were multiple opportunities for players to make plays that would have won the game. In some cases success creates more success and we trigger runs that blow up opponents. We just haven't got there. But I don't think the answer is to let this qb make more decisions than he already does..

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You mean like when he was asked about that failed 2 pt conversion attempt and he said, "We're gonna be aggressive, that's just how it's gonna be"? Like he was Wyatt Kingï»ż Badass Earp telling Molly McGrath to skin that smokewagon? Eight 50+ yard fg attempts later...

That phrase has been ringing in my ear all season. :homer:

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

My biggest disappointment has been three loses. Jarrett or Jason or whatever we are calling him has not shown me much in the way of seeing the field and distributing the ball when he doesn't have 5 seconds and an open receiver.. I am not sure he is any more adept to decide what play to run prior to the snap. For all we know he might be doing this or was doing it wrong and had that responsibility recinded.. in all three loses there were multiple opportunities for players to make plays that would have won the game. In some cases success creates more success and we trigger runs that blow up opponents. We just haven't got there. But I don't think the answer is to let this qb make more decisions than he already does..

I think he spent to much time being in love over the summer and just did not show the leadership needed over the summer. Just thought he was gonna hop back in the saddle and have the year he had in 2017. Well a lot of those pieces that made him successful left for the league. IMO his errors have led directly to some losses. Just some boneheaded throws, ball security and bad throw. Just my uninformed opinion though. Yeah and Slayton too...doing things and making mistakes you don’t expect from your upperclassmen.

59 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

First thing; never believe a word Gus says to the public, always see what he does on Saturdays.  2nd, we, as fans, sometimes read too much into what he says.  An example would be last week Gus said we would see a few more wrinkles in the offense against Ole Miss.  Evidently a few more wrinkles is defined as MW playing 2 consecutive plays handing the ball off followed by JS running a zone read. 

It floors me that 6 years into his tenure this has to even be said. The only reason he says anything at all during press conferences is so he can get to the next question.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

I think he spent to much time being in love over the summer and just did not show the leadership needed over the summer. Just thought he was gonna hop back in the saddle and have the year he had in 2017. Well a lot of those pieces that made him successful left for the league. IMO his errors have led directly to some losses. Just some boneheaded throws, ball security and bad throw. Just my uninformed opinion though. Yeah and Slayton too...doing things and making mistakes you don’t expect from your upperclassmen.

Stidz' chemistry with his WRs surely took a hit when JS decided to spend the off-season in TX rather than Auburn. All those deep balls that were on the money last year are all over the place.

Hell, if you looked at a map of where he's putting the ball even on screens it'd look like a freaking Jackson Pollock

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

Can't disagree with anything you said. I'm just to the point that I don't know what could get worse. The 3 losses are disappointing especially knowing that they could have been wins. We have both a failure to communicate and execute with our coaches and players. After 2 years together that should be fixed. Sad truth is what others have said; a new OC will not solve this. 

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You mean like when he was asked about that failed 2 pt conversion attempt and he said, "We're gonna be aggressive, that's just how it's gonna be"? Like he was Wyatt King Badass Earp telling Molly McGrath to skin that smokewagon? Eight 50+ yard fg attempts later...

Yeah, yeah, that’s the ticket. 

47 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Stidz' chemistry with his WRs surely took a hit when JS decided to spend the off-season in TX rather than Auburn. All those deep balls that were on the money last year are all over the place.

Hell, if you looked at a map of where he's putting the ball even on screens it'd look like a freaking Jackson Pollock

is this true? if so it explains a lot. but i wonder if him having that shoulder op and not being able to practice on the field was one of the reasons to spend in texas. someone tell me what is true please? it is so unfair to bang a kid for going home when he could not practice anyway? and yes i know the op was on his non throwing but i bet he was told to do nothing period.  we have  folks on here that do not have a clue to wth is going on except they are angry. are folks going to start lying about stuff now as well? do we have PROOF about stid slacking or ws it really instructions to take no chances on his shoulder? i would love to her other opinions on this.

no attention to detail, predictability, team is soft, no urgency or intensity. Aggressive play is non existent, Gus said they would be now they play scared.

Lack of any noticeable improvement obvious that whatever is done in the spring and August has no bearing on the season.

This isn't on the players but the coaching staff.

Another wasted season with the only hope is messing someone else's up.

whatever, he is a wealthy young man

Auburn's starting quarterback graduated in May, after which he traveled with his now-fiancee Kennedy Brown during the NBA playoffs - her father, Tad Brown, is CEO of the Houston Rockets, was a counselor at the Elite 11 camp in early June and attended the Manning Passing Academy later that month. Stidham proposed to Kennedy Brown and got engaged in early July, represented the Tigers at SEC Media Days last Thursday and spent the weekend in Southern California at the QB Summit with Jordan Palmer.

We feel very good about his focus coming in," Malzahn said. "I know he's chomping at the bit for August 3rd to get here and to get out there and lead the offense and lead the team and see where it goes."

Auburn going to turn Jarrett Stidham loose, Gus Malzahn says

Auburn going to turn Jarrett Stidham loose, Gus Malzahn says

Gus Malzahn plans to give Jarrett Stidham more flexibility and freedom to make checks at the line of scrimmage and "turn him loose" this fall

Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey, who is largely responsible for Malzahn relaxing his previous policy against "gurus" working with his quarterbacks, felt Stidham handled all the activity of the offseason well. It also probably helped that the redshirt-junior had a less active spring while he recovered from shoulder surgery

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/07/how_jarrett_stidhams_handled_a.html

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

is this true? if so it explains a lot. but i wonder if him having that shoulder op and not being able to practice on the field was one of the reasons to spend in texas. someone tell me what is true please? it is so unfair to bang a kid for going home when he could not practice anyway? and yes i know the op was on his non throwing but i bet he was told to do nothing period.  we have  folks on here that do not have a clue to wth is going on except they are angry. are folks going to start lying about stuff now as well? do we have PROOF about stid slacking or ws it really instructions to take no chances on his shoulder? i would love to her other opinions on this.

I don't have a link, fifty but I've seen it posted around here and other places that some portions of the team were not happy that he was not around the team working out and whatnot but back home instead.

I'm not saying this to bag on Stidham, but it would be my personal preference that the leader of my team be with everyone else even if he was injured.

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Last spring Gus admitted he was to conservative in his approch to play calling ( who would have thought😁) and that they were going to give Jason the go on audibles at the line of scrimmage . Against Washington I saw some of that, but after it seemed to disappear after that game. I thought it was the perfect setting given Gus’s offense being so predictable. Yet it went away. Not sure if the coaches took it away or JS just quit using it. Has anyone else have a take on this ?

I did notice Jarrett did have a few audibles during the Ole Miss game.  I wonder if he does less of them now than the Washington games to take some complexity out and let him just air it out?  Not sure but that is my two cents...

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't have a link, fifty but I've seen it posted around here and other places that some portions of the team were not happy that he was not around the team working out and whatnot but back home instead.

I'm not saying this to bag on Stidham, but it would be my personal preference that the leader of my team be with everyone else even if he was injured.

if the kid was hurt and could not so much as ride a bicycle down the street i do not see why anyone has the right to get mad. and it allowed qb.s two and three to get more work. sorry we will disagree because i am not buying it. i am even willing to bet they asked him to be careful to not take any hits during games because if he gets hurt again he is done for most of the year. and gus said stid gave us the best op to win right? i bet that would be closer to the truth than mad fans trashing every single thing they can about auburn football to vent. war eagle sir.

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if the kid was hurt and could not so much as ride a bicycle down the street i do not see why anyone has the right to get mad. and it allowed qb.s two and three to get more work. sorry we will disagree because i am not buying it. i am even willing to bet they asked him to be careful to not take any hits during games because if he gets hurt again he is done for most of the year. and gus said stid gave us the best op to win right? i bet that would be closer to the truth than mad fans trashing every single thing they can about auburn football to vent. war eagle sir.

I'm not saying give the injured player any practice reps over the healthy QBs. That never would be the plan. But as the leader on O, and the most nationally recognizable player we have, there is real value to being around the team coming into a year where it felt like we had, to borrow from Bruce, unfinished business.

And if this is true, it obviously did not help chemistry with WRs. Things flatly look significantly more out of sync in our passing game than it did last year. Even on plays where the OL doesn't need to do very much protecting of the pocket -- like on screens.

If Cam Newton showed up in Fall rather than Spring, he still would've been a superhuman on the field, but what got our team to buy into Cam as a leader from the get-go was seeing how hard he busted his butt in the summer and how he was allegedly pushing guys to get better. 

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm not saying give the injured player any practice reps over the healthy QBs. That never would be the plan. But as the leader on O, and the most nationally recognizable player we have, there is real value to being around the team coming into a year where it felt like we had, to borrow from Bruce, unfinished business.

And if this is true, it obviously did not help chemistry with WRs. Things flatly look significantly more out of sync in our passing game than it did last year. Even on plays where the OL doesn't need to do very much protecting of the pocket -- like on screens.

If Cam Newton showed up in Fall rather than Spring, he still would've been a superhuman on the field, but what got our team to buy into Cam as a leader from the get-go was seeing how hard he busted his butt in the summer and how he was allegedly pushing guys to get better. 

tiger i understand what you were saying ok? we just disagree. personally i think stid would be off regardless. he was not allowed to throw period even tho it was his non throwing shoulder that was hurt. and i am betting he had plenty of film to take home with him to watch . last summer he worked out with the team and even hit qb camps to up his game. him and his family payed for those not auburn. i still think he was told it was ok to go home. he certainly was not allowed or cleared to throw until fall practice right? i am not going to change my mind until i see facts and not here say on message boards.

Archived