Chances of a new Offensive Game Plan

ALTiger

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I can guarantee you that if whatever plan A is doesn't work the whole game, there will be no plan B.

I can guarantee if plan A does work the first drive, we will not see it again the rest of the game. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I agree. Gus can only see one game back.

What I described is the definition of Gus’s offense.  It’s the same plays he’s been running for years.  Sometimes successfully sometimes not.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Guess my eyes are fooling me but seems that over the past several weeks there has been many changes.........percent of pass plays has increased,  more sweeps and plays out side of the tackles, long passes that either WRs don't catch or the QB can't seem to hit.   Not sure what folks are expecting to see but lots of recent opportunities for some big plays if the players execute.   

How does anyone think that execution is not an issue?    dropped passes, interceptions, fumbles and badly thrown passes.   I mean, how many TDs have been left laying on the field thus far this season because of poor execution?     These are 4* Div 1 athletes.....seems that they should be able to execute a HS offense without difficulty...JMO

I half agree with you.  I feel like there has been a more concentrated effort to run than the beginning of the season.  I’d love to see a breakdown from Stat but the offense that was called the first drive of the Tennessee game and most of the ole Miss game was more Gus centric while the Washington game and many of the early games were more Chip centric with Gus sprinkled in.  I 100% agree on execution.  So many missed opportunities and poor play from highly ranked recruits.  People can poo poo Gus’s Oline recruiting but it’s not devoid of talent just numbers.  This young offense should only continue to improve.

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I half agree with you.  I feel like there has been a more concentrated effort to run than the beginning of the season.  I’d love to see a breakdown from Stat but the offense that was called the first drive of the Tennessee game and most of the ole Miss game was more Gus centric while the Washington game and many of the early games were more Chip centric with Gus sprinkled in.  I 100% agree on execution.  So many missed opportunities and poor play from highly ranked recruits.  People can poo poo Gus’s Oline recruiting but it’s not devoid of talent just numbers.  This young offense should only continue to improve.

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Chip centric with Gus sprinkled in.  

We have no idea what Chip's offense looks like. 

When he was at ASU they were 5-7 and were 10th in total offense for the conference.   JMO but he's not even a very capable OC and there is nothing that distinguishes a "Chip Lindsey" offense.  People crying for Gus to turn the offense over to Chip have virtually no idea what they are asking for. 

As QB coach and OC I'm afraid Chip is the one in over his head....and JMO, the more responsibility he gets the worse off we are.   I'm  hoping we step out and get someone with a few years of successful OC experience at a major school...there are some good offenses and prospects out there...and money has never been an issue for AU if they want to hire someone. 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We have no idea what Chip's offense looks like. 

When he was at ASU they were 5-7 and were 10th in total offense for the conference.   JMO but he's not even a very capable OC and there is nothing that distinguishes a "Chip Lindsey" offense.  People crying for Gus to turn the offense over to Chip have virtually no idea what they are asking for. 

As QB coach and OC I'm afraid Chip is the one in over his head....and JMO, the more responsibility he gets the worse off we are.   I'm  hoping we step out and get someone with a few years of successful OC experience at a major school...there are some good offenses and prospects out there...and money has never been an issue for AU if they want to hire someone. 

If what you say is true(and I don't believe it is), what does it say that Gus picked him for the job?

Gus is the only coach I have ever seen that gets fans to defend him when players play poorly????  If players are not executing thats on the coach too.  Thats why you have practice, and spring ball and fall camp.  It sometimes feels like we don’t do anything in any of those.  I would say the Cleveland Browns’ players didn’t execute either and look who got fired today...not the players...Gus is just as responsible for non-execution as the players are. Thats why he’s being paid 49 million dollars is to make sure they do execute.  Its is mind boggling how people still defend this guy.  

46 minutes ago, CR said:

If what you say is true(and I don't believe it is), what does it say that Gus picked him for the job?

Believe it or not.....that's up to you....but look up Chips meager record and see what you find.    As for the hire.....Gus knew him from work at AU and thought he would do a good job at AU with better talent.....looks like he was wrong.   But not the first coach to make a bad hire?     JMO but the problem Gus might have is cutting the cord when it is necessary.

Meanwhile, ...look at the guys getting fired this week.....and watch for who gets fired over the next month.   Who hired all those guys?     Some folks need to look around and see what Div 1 college football is like outside of the state of Alabama.  

As for the execution issue.....I agree...but it's easier to fire the coach than to fire the players...so that is usually the solution that desperate owners turn to...but mostly new coaches get the same results from the same players as did the previous coach....until they find a way to move them along.    

Lindsey and Horton are the hands-on coaches and it's they who are not getting the results....and I only put the blame on Gus if he continues to allow that to happen without making changes.     So Frost and Chip Kelly  and the guy at FSU are limping along ….waiting until they can get some players who will do it "their way".  

So we're gonna scapegoat Chip and Horton like Lashlee was done? Gus hand picked this entire offensive staff and it is a disaster. Why would AU let him fire and hire another staff? And no OC with a future in coaching will touch Gus after seeing how Lashlee and Chip were treated.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:03 AM, I_M4_AU said:

The best chance to see changes is after a bye with Gus.  I am hoping that the game plan includes a QB other the JS sees some action. One can hope.  I’m sure Gus worked on execution.

If Gus can get out of Gus' way, we have a good chance for a victory.  I watched the TAMU & MSU game and found that TAMU missed a lot of passes that could have changed the outcome of that game. We need to put a ton of pressure on Mond to make him throw bad passes. He can be a threat if he gets hot and a lot of protection. I think we have about a 70% chance of winning this game if we play a good game with minimal turnovers.

I will be playing the part of Noah at my churches' trunk-or-treat tomorrow night! Pray for a lot of rain so that my make-shift ark will float out of the parking lot! I will be handing out skittles!

20 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Gus is the only coach I have ever seen that gets fans to defend him when players play poorly????  If players are not executing thats on the coach too.  Thats why you have practice, and spring ball and fall camp.  It sometimes feels like we don’t do anything in any of those.  I would say the Cleveland Browns’ players didn’t execute either and look who got fired today...not the players...Gus is just as responsible for non-execution as the players are. Thats why he’s being paid 49 million dollars is to make sure they do execute.  Its is mind boggling how people still defend this guy.  

I’m not sure it’s that people are trying to just defend Gus, it’s more likely that people are saying that some responsibility lies with the performance of the players.   A coach can only put a player in a position so many times and the players have to make the play.   

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not sure it’s that people are trying to just defend Gus, it’s more likely that people are saying that some responsibility lies with the performance of the players.   A coach can only put a player in a position so many times and the players have to make the play.   

Who was it that approved recruiting those guys that can't execute and is ultimately responsible for coaching and developing them to execute and providing a plan for them that utilizes there abilities in the best possible way for them and ultimately the Auburn football team to succeed?  I think I may be confused.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:52 AM, gr82b4au said:

We are what we are at this point. According to the coaches, it is all about execution. 

I think it is more about being executed!

21 hours ago, CR said:

So we're gonna scapegoat Chip and Horton like Lashlee was done? Gus hand picked this entire offensive staff and it is a disaster. Why would AU let him fire and hire another staff? And no OC with a future in coaching will touch Gus after seeing how Lashlee and Chip were treated.

What is going to happen is that Gus will fire Chip and take over the play calling. This will either make or break Gus. Maybe this is what needs to be done at this point. If Gus can get a true DT QB like Cam & Nick Marshall, we could see an offense more like what we saw in 2013 and 2014.  I do not think that Willis is the QB for this. Gatewood is intriguing and could be the QB Gus needs to make it work at a much higher success level than what we are getting with JS.

I think there is a real chance that JS will be back next season. Unless he gets hot and runs up some huge numbers, he will not be drafted of he opts out after the season. Like to hear what you guys are thinking about this.

35 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Who was it that approved recruiting those guys that can't execute and is ultimately responsible for coaching and developing them to execute and providing a plan for them that utilizes there abilities in the best possible way for them and ultimately the Auburn football team to succeed?  I think I may be confused.

You obviously have a point of placing all the blame on the head coach and I understand why.   But to deny or even hint that players haven’t made the plays that were presented to them to succeed is just not Even close to understanding what is happening on the field.   Now more times than not they are not being put in the best of situations but players do have some responsibility 

We are in for a surprise, surprise, surprise as Gomer Pyle would say!

!'Gomer Pyle' Star Jim Nabors Dies at 87 - YouTube

Gus: Scrap the old gameplan. I've got it!  This will blow them away!

Chip: Coach, what is it? What did you find?

Gus:  Alright, so we'll direct snap to Cox...

Chip: You mean the Coxcat?

Gus:  No, no, no...this time we'll have him fake right then, and here's the kicker, he'll spin...counterclockwise.  Man! They'll never see that coming.  Seriously, Jimbo is gonna be some kind of lost. We've got him this time.

35 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

You obviously have a point of placing all the blame on the head coach and I understand why.   But to deny or even hint that players haven’t made the plays that were presented to them to succeed is just not Even close to understanding what is happening on the field.   Now more times than not they are not being put in the best of situations but players do have some responsibility 

I think I understand what you are getting at and yes the players have to produce just like Joe Burrow, Nick Fitzgerald, and Tennessee's QB and receivers did against us.  I guess my question is WHY are they not executing and what is being done to correct it?  And yes, IMO it all falls back on Gus.  He hired the coaches and recruited the players.  If they continue to struggle with execution IN GAMES, why are they still IN GAMES?  Practice? We ain't talk'in 'bout practice!:-X

IF this was early in his tenure and he didn't have all his coaches and players in place, I could better understand it being a player problem.  We're in his 6th year though. Should be routine by now.

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

So you guys are saying there is a game plan??!!    

I think there is..... One.  The same one always.

Archived