Article "shut down the prayer"

aubiefifty

51 minutes ago, looney said:

And I think this is at the heart of the FFRF's *request for information*. At this point, it doesn't sound to me like an "attack," as some are characterizing it. That organization just seeks to make sure folks of the non-predominant religious persuasion in this country aren't ever being discriminated against based on their particular flavor of worship (or lack therof).

IF (big IF) kids are being unduly persuaded to attend these prayer meetings (as in, there are spoken/unspoken rules that if you don't attend you can't play or participate in some way that you would be allowed to otherwise) then it's unfair. And based on what I read, that's all they're trying to find out.

EDIT: To be perfectly clear, I am not saying that such rules exist. I'd have no way of knowing that.

I see it as nothing resembling a noble cause.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, chimes said:

This is how I handle it. I allow my players to pray after practices and before games but I do not lead or join. 

I join in, but do not lead it.

We just need to pray that these heathen people will have a change of heart. They are attacking Christianity plain and simple. If the players choose to pray together voluntarily and are not forced or threatened to do so, then it shouldn't be an issue with outsiders. They are fighting a battle they are destined to lose and are their own worst enemies.

Wisconsin gave us Jeffery Dahmer and that scumbag from the Netflix documentary. This is just more of their cheesehead 'class'.

2 hours ago, chimes said:

Diving into the deep end...

As long as they’re not being forced the join it’s going to be hard to “prove” that it’s unconstitutional, but I do think an argument could be made that it’s unethical. Do I have a problem with it? No. I’m also a Christian living in the Deep South so it’s well within my comfort zone. Imagine being an atheist or practicing another religion and having coaches and teammates joining in and you being ostracized for not. They’re at the school to learn and play football- not for religious purposes. All the prayer in the world can be done away from football and school activities.

Again, I don’t have any issue with it but I do try to understand where others might come from. Objectivity is a lacking trait in our society.

I think that is (or should be) a concern for any organization:  Does the way we do things here create a 'chilled' environment for those within the organization who might not see things the same as the majority of the folks in the organization.  Personally, as a Christian myself, I have no desire to shove my beliefs in the face of someone else who doesn't subscribe to my beliefs (even if I believe that Jesus is the only path to salvation) because that is not going to be effective in bringing anyone into the fold.  That is not how we 'go and make disciples'.  At the same time, we do have a constitutional right to free practice of religion and prayer and Bible study (or Koran study, if you're Muslim) in public view as long as it is not sponsored or enforce by a state entity.  It's a fine line to tread.

I imagine that (although certainly not official policy) religious background is a factor in the players that we recruit and that most (if not all) of them do not have a problem with what's going on at Auburn.       

59 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm positive that we aren't close to being the only team that prays, so why is this an Auburn thing?

Seems like tubs started by hiring Chette. Although not through the school it was tuberville who pioneered this movement and others followed. That’s how I remember it. Chizik got a lot of flack at Iowa st for bringing it up there. 

God never ever wants his word forced on anyone no matter how right you think it is that you should force someone to believe as you. Speaking of Pittsburgh maybe you should read what the perpetrator was saying as he gunned down those folks. He was using bible versus to promote his vengeance. 

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

I think that is (or should be) a concern for any organization:  Does the way we do things here create a 'chilled' environment for those within the organization who might not see things the same as the majority of the folks in the organization.  Personally, as a Christian myself, I have no desire to shove my beliefs in the face of someone else who doesn't subscribe to my beliefs (even if I believe that Jesus is the only path to salvation) because that is not going to be effective in bringing anyone into the fold.  That is not how we 'go and make disciples'.  At the same time, we do have a constitutional right to free practice of religion and prayer and Bible study (or Koran study, if you're Muslim) in public view as long as it is not sponsored or enforce by a state entity.  It's a fine line to tread.

I imagine that (although certainly not official policy) religious background is a factor in the players that we recruit and that most (if not all) of them do not have a problem with what's going on at Auburn.       

Great post

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm positive that we aren't close to being the only team that prays, so why is this an Auburn thing?

Clemson and Dabo are far more open about it than AU.  Somebody senses weakness in AU's resolve and trying to back the school down on the issue. JMO

38 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

God never ever wants his word forced on anyone no matter how right you think it is that you should force someone to believe as you. Speaking of Pittsburgh maybe you should read what the perpetrator was saying as he gunned down those folks. He was using bible versus to promote his vengeance. 

This is a good point for those both for & against religion, in general, but specifically Christianity.

It is our mission, handed down directly by Jesus Christ Himself, called The Great Commission, to spread the word of the Gospel and to make effort to lead all to Christ.

With that said, you can't (and HE wouldn't expect you) to FORCE anyone to believe....or even listen.

As long as it's voluntary, there should be no problem.  If it's being "forced" in any way, then #1, it's not what HE would want and #2, it wouldn't be effective anyway.

• WarTiger changed the title to Article "shut down the prayer"
6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

if players are not being forced to pray i say let them have at it.

If it is strictly voluntary, and if players are not ostracized if they choose to not participate there should be no problem. I am a staunch supporter of separation of church and state as far as policies and legalities are concerned. But if  football team members voluntarily choose to pray together why would anyone else care?

If the players want to set stuff up and do their s***, more power to them, but a religious figure shouldn'thave special access to the student athletes. 

Chet may not be paid by the university, but he acts under the guise of and with the support of the institution. 

Get him out. 

here is something i am curious about. in this day and time we often have kids changing their name to a muslim type name kinda like ali did back in the day. my question is purely curiosity and not to make anyone angry. if we have a player that is a musim how do we allow them to pray? and also how many of you can look in your heart and say let him worship to his own god? once again just curious.

37 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

If it is strictly voluntary, and if players are not ostracized if they choose to not participate there should be no problem. I am a staunch supporter of separation of church and state as far as policies and legalities are concerned. But if  football team members voluntarily choose to pray together why would anyone else care?

I face-palmed you because you face-palmed me. Bht I agree with your post... :jump:

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

here is something i am curious about. in this day and time we often have kids changing their name to a muslim type name kinda like ali did back in the day. my question is purely curiosity and not to make anyone angry. if we have a player that is a musim how do we allow them to pray? and also how many of you can look in your heart and say let him worship to his own god? once again just curious.

We have had this before and I seem to remember him saying it was never a problem. He even admired Chette. I don’t remember what his name was right off hand but I suppose someone here will. 

Tony Franklin is the only person I have known to have a problem with it. 

War Eagle, nothing wrong with it at all. Same thing the last time this article was posted; it's just silly at this point. No one is being hurt by this and only hateful people truly have a problem with this. There's more influences being impressed on these kids by professors with agendas than the football team simply praying for safety and other good deeds. 

15 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

If he chooses to set time aside before each game to practice whatever it is that Muslims do, I have no problem with it. Only bleeding hearts and atheists are offended.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

War Eagle, nothing wrong with it at all. Same thing the last time this article was posted; it's just silly at this point. No one is being hurt by this and only hateful people truly have a problem with this. There's more influences being impressed on these kids by professors with agendas than the football team simply praying for safety and other good deeds. 

Amen there.....and just try to stand up to some professor with an anti-religion agenda and see what happens....

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If he chooses to set time aside before each game to practice whatever it is that Muslims do, I have no problem with it. Only bleeding hearts and atheists are offended.

I'm offended by your"bleeding hearts" remark because it is a myth but you like to use it as something derogatory. I'm also tired of all these sideways snide political remarks where they don't belong. Why not either shut up or go post your ignorant remarks in the political forum. 

Archived