aubiefifty

Article "shut down the prayer"

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Life on earth certainly didn't "come from nothing".  There were all sorts of external "inputs'. 

The science of evolution is established. It forms the basis of all biologic sciences and is supported by virtually every other branch of science that has examined the question.  To say evolution is not fact is to deny science, period.  So while one is free to mock evolution, they would be wrong.

(And science doesn't address the question of "why", which is beyond it's capabilities.)

Now if you want to argue what had to have happened prior to the big bang, that's something we don't understand. 
 

 To wholly embrace science is as much an act of faith as believing in Christ! It doesn't mean either one doesn't exist, though.

If I'm wrong, I've lost nothing. 

If you're wrong, you've lost it all.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




17 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

 To wholly embrace science is as much an act of faith as believing in Christ! It doesn't mean either one doesn't exist, though.

If I'm wrong, I've lost nothing. 

If you're wrong, you've lost it all.

Guess you are just more clever than me.  ;)

But you are wrong in your first sentence.  To embrace science doesn't require faith at all.  It just takes knowledge (understanding it). 

And clearly, the existence of science is hardly at issue.  Look around.

Finally, not everyone is intellectually motivated by the simple fear of ceasing to exist at some point in the future.  Might be hard for you to accept, but it's true.  At least for me.

Edited by homersapien

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree with everything but apparently you haven’t been in a classroom recently? The mockery of Christians and Creationism by the professors was somewhat frequent for me almost a decade ago. 

Thats cause Christianity and creationism are pretty easy to mock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

 To wholly embrace science is as much an act of faith as believing in Christ! It doesn't mean either one doesn't exist, though.

If I'm wrong, I've lost nothing. 

If you're wrong, you've lost it all.

Ah, Pascals Wager. Belief out of fear isn't  belief at ALL. 

But back on point, it is easy for followers of Christianity to say it's easy to opt out without repercussions. Those who say that have no clue what they are talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

 To wholly embrace science is as much an act of faith as believing in Christ! It doesn't mean either one doesn't exist, though.

If I'm wrong, I've lost nothing. 

If you're wrong, you've lost it all.

That's the part non Christians don't get. Look, if someone doesn't choose Christianity they'll not only live with that decision but they will die with it too.  I do believe in the end they will warm up to it but it will be too late. 

Edited by gr82be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Thats cause Christianity and creationism are pretty easy to mock. 

Your opinion is immaterial to whether people in position of power should be able to mock Christianity. But, okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know what kind of peer pressure those who mentioned it are talking about. I am not religious. I don’t go to church. I don’t disbelieve anything but I’m just not drawn into it like most are. I have mentioned it before here several times but I envy you guys who get such comfort from Jesus. With all that said, I never have a problem during a gathering when others pray. I bow my head close my eyes  and mumble amen when it’s over. It’s not a problem for me and sometimes I get emotional about the words..., it hits home sometimes. but my point is I can’t say I would never be offended enough to opt out or try to stop others from prayer. But so far I have never had a problem with it as nobody really ever forced me to participate any more than bowing my head a few seconds. 

If  we have players being mistreated due to a different belief, I have a problem with it. I don’t think these a**holes in Wisconsin are enough of a threat to be concerned about. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

 To wholly embrace science is as much an act of faith as believing in Christ! It doesn't mean either one doesn't exist, though.

If I'm wrong, I've lost nothing. 

If you're wrong, you've lost it all.

The problem with Pascal's wager is that it doesn't answer the question of which God nor does it qualify for a non believer to get into the afterlife off the wager alone. One cannot will themselves into faith of the chosen religion, thus making their acceptance into the afterlife impossible. 

It is bad logic and a disservice to your supported religion to use the wageras an argument in favor of belief. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

The problem with Pascal's wager is that it doesn't answer the question of which God nor does it qualify for a non believer to get into the afterlife off the wager alone. One cannot will themselves into faith of the chosen religion, thus making their acceptance into the afterlife impossible. 

It is bad logic and a disservice to your supported religion to use the wageras an argument in favor of belief. 

Well, to be fair to Pasxal, I’m pretty sure that he said to only apply it as a last resort if, after you’ve thoroughly examined all the evidence, you’re still torn between belief and disbelief.  I guess there is always the third option to abstain from taking one side or the other, but that is really just ignoring an issue that is kind of a big deal.  But I suppose we humans are pretty good at distracting ourselves- at least for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Life on earth certainly didn't "come from nothing".  There were all sorts of external "inputs'. 

The science of evolution is established. It forms the basis of all biologic sciences and is supported by virtually every other branch of science that has examined the question.  To say evolution is not fact is to deny science, period.  So while one is free to mock evolution, they would be wrong.

(And science doesn't address the question of "why", which is beyond it's capabilities.)

Now if you want to argue what had to have happened prior to the big bang, that's something we don't understand. 
 

What do you mean by the science of evolution?  Do you mean evolution in the Darwinian sense in which species mutate/evolve into different species through an unguided process of natural selection over vast periods of time?  If so, there are some challenges to that view from a scientific standpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the party....but essentially I don’t  how anybody could not believe in nothing at all. Humans being on earth is a miracle. That this planet sustains life. That everything from the tilt of the earth to the distance from the sun. Everything is perfect. I consider myself a Christian but I’ve had my doubts too...but even when I did I still believed there must be a higher being, something that created everything. Something, somebody, had to start everything. I’m all for respecting each other’s beliefs. I have friends of all different religions. I wish instead of fighting over differences & beliefs/opinions, people could just accept/respect them. 

Edited by TAYLORKEETON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, homersapien said:

Any particular God, or all of 'em?

You sound confused...

If you moved to a Polynesian island where the locals worshipped a 1980’s vcr, you could campaign for a change......or you could just let them do their thing.  Part of diversity is respecting others, if the local majority wants to worship the one true God.......show some respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

 To wholly embrace science is as much an act of faith as believing in Christ! It doesn't mean either one doesn't exist, though.

If I'm wrong, I've lost nothing. 

If you're wrong, you've lost it all.

How petty god must be to condemn people to eternal torture because they don't believe in talking snakes, men living in the mouths of whales, talking bushes or zombies. Maybe the dude down below is better. He certainly has killed less people out old spite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t know what kind of peer pressure those who mentioned it are talking about. I am not religious. I don’t go to church. I don’t disbelieve anything but I’m just not drawn into it like most are. I have mentioned it before here several times but I envy you guys who get such comfort from Jesus. With all that said, I never have a problem during a gathering when others pray. I bow my head close my eyes  and mumble amen when it’s over. It’s not a problem for me and sometimes I get emotional about the words..., it hits home sometimes. but my point is I can’t say I would never be offended enough to opt out or try to stop others from prayer. But so far I have never had a problem with it as nobody really ever forced me to participate any more than bowing my head a few seconds. 

If  we have players being mistreated due to a different belief, I have a problem with it. I don’t think these a**holes in Wisconsin are enough of a threat to be concerned about. 

I agree with you frequently but I've never agreed with you this much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 92AU said:

Maybe the dude down below is better. 

Yeah maybe the red costume and horns and serpents are all a myth as well. Maybe his favorite animal is actually the unicorn. Some one has some ‘splaining to do if so. 

Edited by aujeff11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gr82be said:

That's the part non Christians don't get.

You're super duper wrong about this. It's not that we don't "get" it. It's that we won't be frightened into believing in the supernatural. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 92AU said:

How petty god must be to condemn people to eternal torture because they don't believe in talking snakes, men living in the mouths of whales, talking bushes or zombies. Maybe the dude down below is better. He certainly has killed less people out old spite. 

god might be petty, God isn't. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're super duper wrong about this. It's not that we don't "get" it. It's that we won't be frightened into believing in the supernatural. 

It's not about being frightened. It's about being enlightened about the supernatural things God does. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured out what the Devil looks like.

image.jpeg.20a136e56e71b792ca1770ec4659c

So 😈

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atheism is a religion and should not be allowed to impose it's beliefs on us. Maybe the "Freedom from Religion" organization should look at itself. 

  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gr82be said:

It's not about being frightened. It's about being enlightened anout the supernatural things God does. 

Except you said that non-Christians* don't "get" the concept of "If I'm wrong, I lose nothing. If you're wrong, you lose everything." One thing I always appreciated about that sign on the side of I65 just north of Montgomery was that it cut right through all the BS. "Go to church or the Devil will get you!" Believe or else. Fear. 

*By the way, plenty of non-Christians not only "get" the concept of the afterlife but they also believe in it. The specifics of their non-Christian religion are just different. 

Edited by McLoofus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I figured out what the Devil looks like.

image.jpeg.20a136e56e71b792ca1770ec4659c

So 😈

You could at least tag me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

LoL no it wasn't. The original article was posted a few days before that happened. The one quoted here may of been from that day, it just means the outlet was slow to pick it up. This had been released a few days in advance of that happening.

No, they aren't. I do agree if players choose to do it, it shouldn't be an issue, but it's not at all a fight against your religion.

Because Auburn has been warned about this before. Also because this state opened the door to the FFRF by stating they were going to place in God we trust in all high schools. So this is a reminder they are still watching the state.

Sorry friend, disagree. When someone specifically calls out Christians rights to pray of their own choosing, then they are attacking Christianity.

The most famous person to do this was Madelyn O'Hair.. She fought to have prayer taken out of public schools, and won that battle to some degree. She wound up murdered, stuffed in a barrel, and put in a pond by one of her most trusted employees.

Edited by ArgoEagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, homersapien said:

Guess you are just more clever than me.  ;)

But you are wrong in your first sentence.  To embrace science doesn't require faith at all.  I just takes knowledge (understanding it). 

And clearly, the existence of science is hardly at issue.  Look around.

Finally, not everyone is intellectually motivated by the simple fear of ceasing to exist at some point in the future.  Might be hard for you to accept, but it's true.  At least for me.

As I said, if I'm wrong, I've lost nothing. No fear in that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

You could at least tag me

I was inspired by your presence in this thread. (Saw you at the bottom.)I figured you’d get to it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now