Going to be back on campus

japantiger

Headed to Auburn this weekend...1st time I've been able to get to Auburn for a game since 1998 season.  In Friday; out Sunday.  What's new or different and are there a couple restaurants I should hit? 

There used to be a BBQ place on University that sold Brunswick Stew; can't remember the name of it now....used to get that tailgating.  

Lots have changed in that time. 

I meet friends in Auburn once or twice a year now. We'll usually hit Avondale Bar and Tap Room for a quick cocktail and maybe over the The Hound (easy walk away) for something to eat. 

We almost always try and hit Momma G's and Mellow Mushroom for old time's sake over the weekend.  Niffer's if we can too. 

Many places to try now. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Going to be back on campus

Depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. lol Lots of great places to eat now within walking distance. So much has changed on campus so be prepared for that. I graduated in Dec 2005 and even since then there is so much different.

Not sure what BBQ place you're thinking about. I can't even think of one on University so it might be gone now. Do you remember where it was?

@japantiger The campus is going to look very different to you! Lots of the same older buildings, but also a lot of newer ones. You need to check out the new student center next to Haley Center. You need to go and see the Auburn Arena and the Village housing. The campus in now nearly all walkable and not driveable, but it is okay, because I think it maintains the beauty of the campus.

I think you are thinking of the Barbeque House on College Street. They had the BEST brunswick stew. The family sold out. Their property was just too valuable across from campus. There are some newer restaurants in the Toomer's corner area. They've redone the corner since the tree poisoning, but it looks nice. Toomer's Drugs and J&M still look the same. 

You are going to have fun rediscovering Auburn. I'm very happy for you that you are coming back "home". Be a good luck charm and get us a win, okay?

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

@japantiger The campus is going to look very different to you! Lots of the same older buildings, but also a lot of newer ones. You need to check out the new student center next to Haley Center. You need to go and see the Auburn Arena and the Village housing. The campus in now nearly all walkable and not driveable, but it is okay, because I think it maintains the beauty of the campus.

I think you are thinking of the Barbeque House on College Street. They had the BEST brunswick stew. The family sold out. Their property was just too valuable across from campus. There are some newer restaurants in the Toomer's corner area. They've redone the corner since the tree poisoning, but it looks nice. Toomer's Drugs and J&M still look the same. 

You are going to have fun rediscovering Auburn. I'm very happy for you that you are coming back "home". Be a good luck charm and get us a win, okay?

Thanks...yep, said University. (been going to College Station for too long; 2 kids are Aggies)...meant to say College street...that was the place...my wife will be very disappointed...

2 hours ago, Linayus said:

Depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. lol Lots of great places to eat now within walking distance. So much has changed on campus so be prepared for that. I graduated in Dec 2005 and even since then there is so much different.

Not sure what BBQ place you're thinking about. I can't even think of one on University so it might be gone now. Do you remember where it was?

One very nice place for a dinner on Friday night...walking from CAmpus would be great...but driving is OK too...have time with the wife; so want to enjoy it...

You won't recognize the place if you've been gone 20 years. The town was sort of old and run down then - it needed some new development but they've taken it way too far now with high rises everywhere. 

I am genuinely sorry that the '98 squad was the last one you witnessed in person. Good defense, but that O was one of our worst ever. Ben Leard literally handed off to a Tennessee D-lineman at one point for a TD the other way. 

Also sorry you're about to see... never mind. Just eat/drink a lot.

I enjoy Byrons BBQ for everything from sandwiches to Brunswick Stew. If you get a chance to try their breakfast, it's well worth your time. It's located on Opelika Rd at the old dairy queen bdlg. I avoid the pricey places so can't help you there. Sheila's Burger Barn is located next to the old Buffalo Connection building on Shug right down from the Wire Rd intersection. Hole in the wall place but a damn good burger. You won't recognize downtown Auburn, prepare yourself for the high rises(for Auburn that is.) Hope you have a great visit.

15 hours ago, japantiger said:

One very nice place for a dinner on Friday night...walking from CAmpus would be great...but driving is OK too...have time with the wife; so want to enjoy it...

Acre is probably the best (and most expensive) place to eat in the downtown Auburn area (it's on Glenn just east of Gay). Hamilton's (south corner of Magnolia and Gay) is also a solid choice that's a bit cheaper on the wallet. I agree with @CR though - Byrons BBQ is a good choice as well as Sheila's Burger Barn. Any time I want a burger, we go to Sheila's. Stinky's Fish Camp is right there by Shelia's too (in the old Buffalo Connection place) which I hear is good but I haven't tried it myself.

On 10/29/2018 at 5:09 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

They had a really good breakfast also. I had class right across the street one summer and would hit them every morning before class.

14 hours ago, Linayus said:

Acre is probably the best (and most expensive) place to eat in the downtown Auburn area (it's on Glenn just east of Gay). Hamilton's (south corner of Magnolia and Gay) is also a solid choice that's a bit cheaper on the wallet. I agree with @CR though - Byrons BBQ is a good choice as well as Sheila's Burger Barn. Any time I want a burger, we go to Sheila's. Stinky's Fish Camp is right there by Shelia's too (in the old Buffalo Connection place) which I hear is good but I haven't tried it myself.

Does Acre have a bar?  Hard  to tell...no reservations available this weekend (not surprising)...place does look great.

On 10/31/2018 at 1:28 AM, japantiger said:

Does Acre have a bar?  Hard  to tell...no reservations available this weekend (not surprising)...place does look great.

As in, walk-in and sit at the bar? I don't believe they do. I've been a couple of times but I don't recall that being an option.

On 10/29/2018 at 4:17 PM, japantiger said:

Headed to Auburn this weekend...1st time I've been able to get to Auburn for a game since 1998 season.  In Friday; out Sunday.  What's new or different

Tater Tot is not our coach anymore Jap. 

The BBQ House has closed.

We have a huge scoreboard with loud music.

Glenn Dean drugs is a CVS

We have several multi/student multi story living complexes

Harry's Bar is gone

The presidents mansion caught on fire around 2003. We have not quit adding or remodeling it to date.

There are 3 to 5 tower cranes over the Auburn skyline.

Tailgating looks like a white tent refugee wine and cheese party

....................Still a great place. Enjoy Jap. I am headed that way in the morning

23 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Tater Tot is not our coach anymore Jap. 

The BBQ House has closed.

We have a huge scoreboard with loud music.

Glenn Dean drugs is a CVS

We have several multi/student multi story living complexes

Harry's Bar is gone

The presidents mansion caught on fire around 2003. We have not quit adding or remodeling it to date.

There are 3 to 5 tower cranes over the Auburn skyline.

Tailgating looks like a white tent refugee wine and cheese party

....................Still a great place. Enjoy Jap. I am headed that way in the morning

Yep, drove around town when we got here....a fair amount is different.  The build up out College Street is considerable toward 85.  In general, the whole area seems to have built up quite a bit in 20 years.  Going to get in town early; have breakfast and walk around before kickoff.  Looking forward to a good game...

3 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Harry's should have been condemned in the 90's.  It was a rat hole then. 

Come on Johnny, we all know Harry's was a rat hole but everyone deserves that experience. Sani Flush was a rat hole to but we loved it. 

10 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Come on Johnny, we all know Harry's was a rat hole but everyone deserves that experience. Sani Flush was a rat hole to but we loved it. 

Harry's was a place you ended up after all the other places had the sense to shut down. Sani-Freeze was a shamble, but I never had to go inside, and never had to use the restrooms in there.  ;) Supper Club wasn't much better.

I went to many games in the mid nineties to the 04season. There was a lot of changes during this time. Then I didn’t go back to a game (that I recall now)until 2010 when I got back to going to most games. The biggest and most significant change that I quickly noticed ( tailgating)is there are no more woods to venture out in to to relieve yourself. I didn’t see this post till today but my suggestion would have been a piss tent with a bucket and some sanitizer. I rarely eat in Auburn restaurants. We roll in early. Grill all day and drink till game time. Then re heat the food left over. Eat to absorb the alcohol as the traffic dies out a little then drive out of town and get a room. I hope you checked out the basketball arena. It’s very nice and probably the only available restroom in town on game day. 

On 11/2/2018 at 10:04 PM, around4ever said:

I guess you also noticed the War Eagle Supper Club is gone.  😢

Yes...my wife was looking for this the entire time and we sadly concluded it was gone...the supper club was about the only place to get a Sunday beer.

Archived