Birth right citizenship

AuCivilEng1

On 10/30/2018 at 8:17 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

What are you ******* talking about? Everyone can be traced back to immigrants coming to this country and having children. Whether it was you parents or your great great great great grandparents. And if you want to go back to the beginning, we were a country founded by immigrants who forced their way into a country and took it. 

If the European settlers never came over here, most of us would never exist, in this country, as we know it. 

First of all there was not one influx to the Western World it was something that happened multiple times. Initially there were no people here then groups started coming from Asia. One Group would come and settle the next Group would come and if stronger force the original Group off the richer land out or kill them off.  The Mayans , The Aztecs, The Incans subjugated other Groups killed some off used others in Religious ceremonies where they removed their hearts.  There were many Groups in the America's that disappeared before the Europeans came. The Europeans came and did the same thing. Now one reason the Europeans were more efficient especially in North America was a combination of the small number of Native people and disease. Diseases that the inhabitants of the America's had no resistance to killed huge numbers.

I am not denying the Europeans were ruthless and helped wipe out many of the natives. I am just saying they were no different then non-Europeans who did the same thing. Mankind has always been ruthless. Throughout Europe one Group after the other took over.  Look at Great Britain apparently the original people were the Picts, Then the Celts, then various  Germanic groups Angles, Jutes, etc. then the Norsemen during some of this time the Romans with Soldiers from Spain, North Africa, Middle East and other far flung parts of the Roman Empire. Alexander the Great conquering large swaths of the World. Other Groups of conquerors The Mongols, The Huns The Ottoman Empire and I could go on and on.

You are right this is a country of immigrants and originally when there were small numbers of people there were basically open borders but look what the Spanish did to Americans in California in the old days who entered Spanish territory they threw them in jail.  Over time as more and more people arrived here and the country became settled immigration laws were put in place as is the norm all over the world.

There is no country I know of that doesn't have immigration laws. In every wave of immigrants that have come into this country have faced discrimination and abuse. In the 1800's there signs in restaurant windows no Dog's or Irish allowed.  Look at the names given to immigrants in the past and sadly still used by a few people today, Dago, Greaser, Beaner, Wap, Coon, Pollock, Mick, Paddy, Peckerwood, Hick, Hillbilly, you name the group and there are discriminating names for them. 

There is no country I know of that does not discriminate be it for race, religion, country of origin, etc. I like to think we are better than most countries especially  when you realize how diverse the US is compared to most countries. The United States is probably the least homogeneous country in the world. Currently White Caucasian is the largest Group but when you realize that groups itself is made up of many groups from various Countries with totally different cultures. Germans, Irish, English, Welsh, French, Spanish (Natives of Spain), Italian, Russian, Polish,  other Slavic Countries. Multiple different religions. Then the minority groups Hispanics like White Caucasion is really multiple different people and cultures, Just one example of the difference from one small Central American country Honduras (mestizo (Spanish, Indian), Indian, Afro-Honduran (two different Groups one originally Black Slaves that Speak English second Caribe-Black that speak their own Dialect)Arabs mostly Christian from Lebanon and Palestine, and Spanishh), Other Groups Africans again not one people Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Toga, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Asians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, etc. East Indian (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) all these different people live in this country an d while there is discrimination here compared to most of the countries they came from this countru is a breath of fresh air. 

About the only countries without huge discrimination issues are small countries with very homogeneous people. They have no issues because they are all the same.

Do we need to update our immigration laws? Yes. Do we need to protect our borders? Yes. Is a border wall the answer? No.  Could this country support and open border Policy at this time similar to what we had in 18th and 19th Century? No.

Trump is right about soem of what he says and wrong about other parts. The world is changing the need for unskilled labor is waning quickly we could not handle millions of people from Central America, Haiti, Venezuela who have no marketable skills who don't speak English.  I say this as a person who is married to an immigrant from El Salvador who has helped sponsor other family members from El Salvador , who has spent time in El Salvador and Honduras both with Church missions and with family members. I say this as a person who is saddened when I visit these countries and see the poverty, discrimination, crime, hopelessness and the kindness and love of these hard working people.  

I am a realist, I am not going to apologize for the wrongs of the past as if everybody did this we would all be apologizing, I am not going to bury my head in the sand and say we don't have some serious issues in this country  as we do. Healthcare is broken because neither party has attempted to address the underlying issues the argument is always about who is going to pay for it as opposed to how will we reform it and get the costs down. We have income inequality and we have two parties because of their disagreements and despite the billions of dollars spent to try and change it things have not gotten better. We have a country divided by two groups who want to be in power but have no intention of really changing anything. Over the last 40 years both Parties have been in Power for periods of time where they controlled both the House and Senate and the Presidency but they did not address immigration, They did not address the costs of healthcare, they did not address income inequality. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived