It’s Just Incredible What Some People Can Believe

homersapien

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, homersapien said:

“Partisanship” is not the problem with politics, but boy are we far apart…

If nothing else, I agree with the title. :lol:

18 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

If nothing else, I agree with the title. :lol:

Both the left and right are as far apart as I can remember, and both are getting nuttier. 

16 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Both the left and right are as far apart as I can remember, and both are getting nuttier. 

16 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Divide has been growing for years. Nearly a decade. No end in sight. 

14 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Divide has been growing for years. Nearly a decade. No end in sighricht. 

"Nearly" a decade?  You blame Obama??  :rolleyes:

Newt Gingrich is the one who fired the booster rocket in modern incivility.  He solidified divisiveness as deliberate strategy.

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Newt Gingrich is the one who fired the booster rocket in modern incivility.  He solidified divisiveness as deliberate strategy.

Participation trophy.png

16 hours ago, homersapien said:

You mean during the Clinton years right? I would say it prolly started in '92. Newts threats of shutting down the government in what ('94 or 95?) got Bill to put a band-aid on our partisanship problem. But besides that one small uptick, it's been going downhill since I can remember.

9 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

You mean during the Clinton years right? I would say it prolly started in '92. Newts threats of shutting down the government in what ('94 or 95?) got Bill to put a band-aid on our partisanship problem. But besides that one small uptick, it's been going downhill since I can remember.

Yes.

And I agree that political division comes and goes. 

One of the most divided periods in my lifetime was centered on the Viet Nam war.  Johnson and Nixon both contributed to that. 

And then there's the Jim Crow and civil rights era.  And obviously, the Civil War that preceded that.

And Trump is certainly not the first POTUS to capitalize on such division.  But he is in a class of his own for trying to foment it.

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Do you have something to say 78, or are you just content to express your butt-hurtedness?  :rolleyes:

I said just enough to get you to admit to your real issue. Butt hurt. Not like it was some secret. You have a written history here. ;)

JMO but history seems to begin for most people when they become aware of what's going on in national politics.   

So in my case, I'm ready to say that nothing has changed in the past 40+ years except that social media, the internet and 24 hour news cycles keep everything amped up and dozens if not hundreds of political pundits are ready to pounce on every suspect comment from a national politician....and they will make up the "news" if there is nothing interesting else out there.     

When the newspaper or weekly news magazines were the source of our political news....and about 3 channels with an hour of nightly news....the bruhahas settled down before the general public was even aware of the issues and by the time the news was on the news stand or front porch, the world had moved on. . 

JMO but the same tensions are out there  (witness Martin Luther King, John Kennedy;, Robert Kennedy, George Wallace, Ronald Reagan..and others who were attacked by political opponents.     Maybe the issue is that the differences are more public...and there are many more people in the country dependent on what the government does for them so they pay more attention. 

On 10/31/2018 at 7:11 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Divide has been growing for years. Nearly a decade. No end in sight. 

LOL.  Try at least back to when Clinton became President.  

14 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Thats when talk radio exploded...

On 11/1/2018 at 6:37 PM, AUFAN78 said:

I said just enough to get you to admit to your real issue. Butt hurt. Not like it was some secret. You have a written history here. ;)

Sorry, but I am not sure what exactly what are referring to.  I do have a legitimate grief with DKW regarding him calling me a liar without being able to demonstrate the lie.  I prefer to think of it as a legitimate grievance, but if you insist on calling that that "butt hurt", I'll plead guilty. 

I've also had issues with Nola with misrepresenting my statements by cherry picking and quoting my posts, which is very dishonest.  If that's also "butt hurt" in your mind, I'll plead guilty again.

But like you said, it's all in the record. ;)

On 11/1/2018 at 6:56 PM, AU64 said:

JMO but history seems to begin for most people when they become aware of what's going on in national politics.   

So in my case, I'm ready to say that nothing has changed in the past 40+ years except that social media, the internet and 24 hour news cycles keep everything amped up and dozens if not hundreds of political pundits are ready to pounce on every suspect comment from a national politician....and they will make up the "news" if there is nothing interesting else out there.     

When the newspaper or weekly news magazines were the source of our political news....and about 3 channels with an hour of nightly news....the bruhahas settled down before the general public was even aware of the issues and by the time the news was on the news stand or front porch, the world had moved on. . 

JMO but the same tensions are out there  (witness Martin Luther King, John Kennedy;, Robert Kennedy, George Wallace, Ronald Reagan..and others who were attacked by political opponents.     Maybe the issue is that the differences are more public...and there are many more people in the country dependent on what the government does for them so they pay more attention. 

Excellent point!  :thumbsup:

This is one of the ways the internet has changed the world which was not exactly predictable when it started.   I would also include the advent of cable TV.

Just for the record here. It amazes me that I have legitimately called homey the biggest liar on the board multiple times and I absolutely stand by that. Nothing will ever change that. I let him get away with his craziness many many times in the past. His one lie about me being a Trump supporter alone PROVES the depth and breadth of his lies/craziness.  I find it extremely funny that he is obsessed by one and only one instance. 

homey move on already. You are just boring everyone else.

18 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Just for the record here. It amazes me that I have legitimately called homey the biggest liar on the board multiple times and I absolutely stand by that. Nothing will ever change that. I let him get away with his craziness many many times in the past. His one lie about me being a Trump supporter alone PROVES the depth and breadth of his lies/craziness.  I find it extremely funny that he is obsessed by one and only one instance. 

homey move on already. You are just boring everyone else.

David, for the last time, that was a joke.  I have told you it was a joke at least three times. I was not serious about the above. I didn't mean it.  It was a JOKE.  I suppose now you are going to call me a liar for saying that, right? 

I was demonstrating to you what it feels like to have someone lie about what you said or believe, like you have done and continue to do about me.  Doesn't feel so good huh?

If you call someone a liar, you need to produce the lie.  I never said Trump would be impeached for Russian collusion and you know it.  In fact, you as much as admitted it by claiming I implied it.  (Imagine calling someone a liar over something you inferred.)  :ucrazy: 

You are a crazy and shameless. :no:

On 11/2/2018 at 11:50 AM, TitanTiger said:

Good point. I agree.

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

David, for the last time, that was a joke.  I have told you it was a joke at least three times. I was not serious about the above. I didn't mean it.  It was a JOKE.  I suppose now you are going to call me a liar for saying that, right? 

I was demonstrating to you what it feels like to have someone lie about what you said or believe, like you have done and continue to do about me.  Doesn't feel so good huh?

If you call someone a liar, you need to produce the lie.  I never said Trump would be impeached for Russian collusion and you know it.  In fact, you as much as admitted it by claiming I implied it.  (Imagine calling someone a liar over something you inferred.)  :ucrazy: 

You are a crazy and shameless. :no:

So the dozens of times you ran me down calling me a Trump supporter was A joke? You really going with that?

Image result for white  weasel laying down

@DKW 86 and @homersapien, is it possible for you two to put this running feud to bed somehow?  Two of the board's regular posters, both of which I would personally prefer stick around, constantly sniping from one thread to another is tiresome.  Get some dueling pistols and settle it in a Circle of Equals if you must.

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

@DKW 86 and @homersapien, is it possible for you two to put this running feud to bed somehow?  Two of the board's regular posters, both of which I would personally prefer stick around, constantly sniping from one thread to another is tiresome.  Get some dueling pistols and settle it in a Circle of Equals if you must.

I'm surprised Titan hasn't told them to take it to PMs.

Back to the topic, as far as what some believe. Apart from this article ( which is sane in comparison)my Facebook feed is extremely disturbing. The shat people post and share that not only lacks evidence, but don’t even have anything close to credible accusations to back it. Hell if I believed 25% of this crap I’d be living in a van mailing bombs myself. 

7 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Brother, I have tried to bury this thing for weeks now.

Archived