2019 3* OT Isaiah Hookfin

ellitor

Rising OT who received an AU offer 10/30/18
Expected to get a rating bump at some point
Keith is pretty high on him FWIW
P5 offers from AU, Miss St., Baylor, Zona St., & Duke the past 2 weeks & may be on the verge of more P5 offers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bird I believe Sugar Land is in your neck of the woods.  So this kid is on you. No Pressure just the whole Auburn Fan base waiting on you to pull him on in.  LOL

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Bird I believe Sugar Land is in your neck of the woods.  So this kid is on you. No Pressure just the whole Auburn Fan base waiting on you to pull him on in.  LOL

Just a bit South of me...of course, as you know, in Texas that's easily an hour to an hour and a half away

47 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just a bit South of me...of course, as you know, in Texas that's easily an hour to an hour and a half away

1FB0FDF1-F20B-4C34-84AF-6508059A59DE.gif

Good to see us looking around.   I have to believe there are plenty of lineman out there that would excel, we just need better scouting.       

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yep and you will still be in Houston

15 hours ago, lala said:

Good to see us looking around.   I have to believe there are plenty of lineman out there that would excel, we just need better scouting.       

There's not. At least not that can be assertained easily. OL is arguably the hardest position to eval & develop.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

There's not. At least not that can be assertained easily. OL is arguable the hardest position to eval & develop.

That and QB as there are so many variables besides physical talent

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

There's not. At least not that can be assertained easily. OL is arguably the hardest position to eval & develop.

Look at Kentucky. They don’t stock up on blue chip OL but yet those players are well developed. We need a technician that is more interested in building quality depth and stability than OL coaches in title only that have to rely on quick fix transfers . I don’t think Grimes is horrible at developing players and maybe he didn’t have enough time this year, but he probably needs to be sacrificed to the wolves anyways. It’s not like his recruiting prowess gives him tbe benefit of tbe doubt. 

I think Chip will not return for 2019. If Gus can hire an OC preferably Kendall Briles, we will see a new OL coach and likely a new RB coach. I think a new OL coach that can recruit lights out and knows how to develop players. Our OL situation has deteriorated and is in need of some serious work to get it back to the level it needs to be in order to be successful in the SEC. 

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

we will see a new OL coach and likely a new RB coach. I think a new OL coach that can recruit lights out and knows how to develop players.

Not many 5 tool OL coaches exist FWIW.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not many 5 tool OL coaches exist FWIW.

Hey Ellitor...who would you like as  a new OL coach?

14 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Hey Ellitor...who would you like as  a new OL coach?

Not my area of expertise so I don't know who is out there or would be available.

Color me completely unimpressed with offensive line recruiting for the 2019 class to this point. We have, imo, only one impressive prospect signed, Keondre Jones. Our o line is a joke right now. Please tell me there are some other elite prospects we at least have a good shot at. Or, at the very least, some talented transfer options. Someone explain to me why, when you run an offense so dependent on the running game like Gus's, you dont hire a staff competent in o line recruiting. 

2 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Please tell me there are some other elite prospects we at least have a good shot at

At OG AU is a major threat for Will Putnam. big time recruit.

3 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Or, at the very least, some talented transfer options.

Most transfers don't become known til the months of January-May.

5 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Someone explain to me why, when you run an offense so dependent on the running game like Gus's, you dont hire a staff competent in o line recruiting. 

Million dollar question many of us had in Gus rehiring JB who is not a strong recruiter. Not sure anyone but Gus can answer that one.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not my area of expertise so I don't know who is out there or would be available.

What? you have scouted hours of film on OL coaches too? 😉

15 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I think Chip will not return for 2019. If Gus can hire an OC preferably Kendall Briles, we will see a new OL coach and likely a new RB coach. I think a new OL coach that can recruit lights out and knows how to develop players. Our OL situation has deteriorated and is in need of some serious work to get it back to the level it needs to be in order to be successful in the SEC. 

Gus wants Freeze. Chip is gone. 

12 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That's pretty much his only play for keeping his job, right?  Either that, or he suggests hiring Saban as Head Coach, second in command.

33 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

SumterAubie approves this message

<checks little black book for any phone numbers to pass along>

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If that's who Gus wants I would think Freeze would be jumping at the chance. If it happens it might be the best thing for everyone unless you just want Gus to be fired no matter what. The reason I say that is HF is probably the only person Gus would give total ( Close to total) control over the Off.. We know Freeze is good and probably recruits well. Our Def. is good and we have a lot of talent on Off. Gus/ Chip or Both are just not using it right. Again if true and HF does come I can see us turning things around very fast. On the other hand if we hire him and don't turn things around next year no matter how big the buyout is I don't think Gus can survive another year. Gus has probably used up all of his chances but I still think he returns next year if he can make a big splash hire ( HF is a big splash hire). The only reason I don't want him to go this year is because I really like this recruiting class and I'm afraid we lose a lot if this staff goes. I could get excited about this team again if he can pull off this move.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

WDE.  How do you feel about Freeze coming as OC?  And what about the powers that be?

Somebody start a new Thread on HF and lets get back to this kid. Might as well put HF in the recruiting thread as it seems like the fan base wants Gus to recruit him. Now getting back to Isiah Hookfin have the coaches actually visited him and talked with him or is this an offer based on film only? Second any chance of getting him on Campus? Without a visit especially with him being from Texas I just don't see how we have a chance especially starting so late.

That said if we could pull him and one of the two OG's we are recruiting Putnam or Kingley Eguakun this would end up being a solid class. If we could pull this kid and both the OG's with the two we already have it would be a very good class. Realistically I think we will get Putnam which would make this an ok class as we get two very good Guard types and an OT with the potential to develop. The problem is we need at least 4 O-Lineman in this class and the other reality if the number of O-Linemen that can start as freshman is very small so whoever we get in this class won't help us for at least two years so we have to develop who we have period for next year.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Do you believe if this would to happen then would we replace the whole O staff?  If so who do you see CHF bringing in as OL coach?  Would this change effect any OL recruits this year?

Archived