Steele contract details

aubiefifty

Kevin Steele set to earn more than $2 million in 2018 under new 3-year contract, per report

Updated 8:20 AM; Posted 8:20 AM

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele agreed to a new three-year deal that began Jan. 1 and will make more than $2 million this season. (Julie Bennett)

0 shares

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

tgreen@al.com

Kevin Steele is Auburn’s $2 million man.

The third-year Auburn defensive coordinator is now one of at least three college assistant coaches in the country who will make in excess of $2 million this season, according to a report by USA Today, which obtained a copy of Steele’s latest contract — a three-year deal that began Jan. 1. An Aug. 30 response by Auburn to an AL.com Freedom of Information act request for the latest assistant coach contracts that was originally filed in March and refiled in June did not include the latest deal for Steele.

According to USA Today, Steele’s new deal will include $1.8 million in base salary this season, as well as a $250,000 retention bonus if he is still employed by the school at the end of the 2018 regular season, which includes the SEC Championship Game on Dec. 1. That retention bonus, which was also included in Steele’s original contract with Auburn, will be prorated if he is fired without cause before Dec. 1.

Where Gus Malzahn's salary, buyout rank nationally

Gus Malzahn is set to make more than $6.7 million this season.

Steele joins LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda ($2.5 million) and Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables ($2.2 million) as the FBS assistants known to earn more than $2 million annually this season, according to the report. Steele’s new contract came in the wake of head coach Gus Malzahn agreeing to a new seven-year, $49 million contract in December.

Under Steele’s original deal, which was set to run through Jan. 1, 2019, the longtime coaching veteran was set to earn $1.3 million in base salary this season. Last season his base salary was $1.2 million, with up to $102,500 in bonuses available, making him the nation’s seventh-highest paid college assistant, according to USA Today’s coaching salary database.

According to USA Today, Steele’s new deal includes $100,000 annual increases, making his base salary $1.9 million in 2019 and $2 million in 2020. However, under the terms of his new contract, Steele is no longer eligible for $225,000 in team defensive performance-based bonuses or an $83,333 retention payment due at the end of the 2019 season.

This season, Steele’s unit is ranked 13th nationally in scoring defense, 28th nationally against the run, 62nd against the pass, 27th in pass efficiency defense, 35th in total defense, 18th in total sacks and 28th in yards allowed per play.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

Well earned - his side of the ball is the only side that looks like it’s coached

not since the Washington game. Other than some stellar play by individuals Auburn still got beat by Tennessee, Miss St. and LSU.
A lot of third and longs given up by the defense.

9 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

not since the Washington game. Other than some stellar play by individuals Auburn still got beat by Tennessee, Miss St. and LSU.
A lot of third and longs given up by the defense.

I still can't get passed the MSU game where Fitz slashed this defense the entire game straight up the middle and ran all over them.  And they failed to adjust, even in the 2nd half.  I just can't get that lack of execution out of my brain - it's inexplicable that Steele or one of the D leaders didn't DO something to stop Fitz.

Does anyone know where our defense ranks in the conference or nationally?

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Does anyone know where our defense ranks in the conference or nationally?

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

This season, Steele’s unit is ranked 13th nationally in scoring defense, 28th nationally against the run, 62nd against the pass, 27th in pass efficiency defense, 35th in total defense, 18th in total sacks and 28th in yards allowed per play.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I wonder how many snaps they've defended compared to the teams ranked in the top 10. 

well no quick google search showed our snap count compared to others.  Not even real sure where to find the other rankings.

10 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

well no quick google search showed our snap count compared to others.  Not even real sure where to find the other rankings.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort04.html

This should help. Go to the plays category 

16 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Yeah. I could spend some time looking into it, but now is not that time.

Found it. The disparity is smaller than what I expected, but we are indeed defending against more snaps per game than anyone above us, and more than the next 10 teams below us, too.

Edit: Thank you, @DAG

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. I could spend some time looking into it, but now is not that time.

Found it. The disparity is smaller than what I expected, but we are indeed defending against more snaps per game than anyone above us, and more than the next 10 teams below us, too.

Edit: Thank you, @DAG

It's because our O can't sustain a drive

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's because our O can't sustain a drive

Another stat that I find interesting is our team is in the top 25 in stopping people on third downs. I thought it would be much worse.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category25/sort01.html

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

Checked AU stats and offense for the season  is 554 plays and defense 569 so all this crying about the D on the field all the time is nonsense. 

What the D has been good at is red zone and not giving up many TDs...but still no good explanation now MSU ran over AU with about 3 plays.  

Only $2M?  

"Tennessee quarterback Jarrett Guarantano had a career day [against Auburn], going 21 of 32 for 328 yards and two touchdowns. He’d been averaging 160.2 yards passing per game this season...."

After stopping Tennessee the way he did, you'd think we'd give him a huge raise.  Maybe at the end of this season?  

13 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Only $2M?  

"Tennessee quarterback Jarrett Guarantano had a career day [against Auburn], going 21 of 32 for 328 yards and two touchdowns. He’d been averaging 160.2 yards passing per game this season...."

After stopping Tennessee the way he did, you'd think we'd give him a huge raise.  Maybe at the end of this season?  

Actually u would think UT would give him a bonus.... I kid... Kinda

I think the defensive woes some are whining about here come from two factors.

1. The defense isn’t playing their hardest football. I honestly blame the crappy offense for taking the wind out of the defense’s sails.

2. I still don’t think for most of the year we’ve had the pass rusher we need. If Holland has stayed it would have been awesome.

I really believe in that first point though. Steele didn’t all of a sudden forget how to bring us what he brought us last year. Also, I think many are forgetting how bad things were on defense here before Muschamp and Steele.

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Checked AU stats and offense for the season  is 554 plays and defense 569 so all this crying about the D on the field all the time is nonsense. 

What the D has been good at is red zone and not giving up many TDs...but still no good explanation now MSU ran over AU with about 3 plays.  

Says the guy whose feefees stay hurt because people hold a head coach responsible for his multiple losses to inferior teams and consistently woeful offensive performances in year 6 of his program.

It's patently ridiculous that you're going to focus on one "bad" game where the defense still only gave up 23 points despite a drive chart that looked like this. Our offense ran 25 freaking plays in the first half and put up 3 points. They did a lot better in the 2nd half though, right? 38 plays! And 6 points, and not a single possession that lasted 2 1/2 minutes. They didn't even hold the ball for 8 1/2 minutes out of a 30 minute second half. So yeah, the defense gave up a 2nd touchdown in the 4th quarter after they were pretty exhausted. 

Seriously. Do you even watch these games?

By the way, having a defense that's good at the only metric by which the outcomes of games are decided is kind of a good thing. The fact that your offense can't score more points than the other team- who is scoring the 13th-fewest against us in the nation- really, truly should be your primary concern. But your agenda dictates otherwise. So these conversations continue. 

Archived