Steele contract details

aubiefifty

18 hours ago, TigerOne said:

not since the Washington game. Other than some stellar play by individuals Auburn still got beat by Tennessee, Miss St. and LSU.
A lot of third and longs given up by the defense.

Come on now, get with the program. Don’t you know it’s hate Gus, love Steele, love Greene, blame everything on Pres Leath and Jay Jacobs.

Haven’t you figured that out yet?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, TigerOne said:

not since the Washington game. Other than some stellar play by individuals Auburn still got beat by Tennessee, Miss St. and LSU.
A lot of third and longs given up by the defense.

The D was on the field for 40 of 60 minutes vs MSU. Hard for any D to hold out that long. UT was a head-scratcher...

14 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

The D was on the field for 40 of 60 minutes vs MSU. Hard for any D to hold out that long. UT was a head-scratcher...

They were giving up chunk runs to a one dimensional QB throughout the game including in the first quarter. 

Edit:Just checked, we forced two 3 and outs and one turnover while allowing 22 clock chewing first downs. We could’ve helped ourselves out better than that. We dug in and didn’t break after several 7 or 8 or 9 play drives, but that is ALSO what helped deplete our energy in the fourth. 

That same one dimensional MSU offense wasn’t doing diddly squat before the game. It’s not cool when we give up 350 rushing yards ever, and that’s why I’m not quick to absolve the defense from any blame just because our offense deserves more. It felt like we were one defensive adjustment away from shutting down their one dimensional running attack and couldn’t do it.

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

I think the defensive woes some are whining about here come from two factors.

1. The defense isn’t playing their hardest football. I honestly blame the crappy offense for taking the wind out of the defense’s sails.

2. I still don’t think for most of the year we’ve had the pass rusher we need. If Holland has stayed it would have been awesome.

I really believe in that first point though. Steele didn’t all of a sudden forget how to bring us what he brought us last year. Also, I think many are forgetting how bad things were on defense here before Muschamp and Steele.

The defense gave up hundreds of yards on the ground right up the middle to Fitz in the MSU game.  Not one D coach or leader on this defense made an adjustment at any point during that entire game.  Then they turned around and gave up chunks of yardage through the air to the UT QB, the guy literally doubled his passing production against our defense.

Now, if the offense took the wind out of the defense's sails then the problem with this team is much deeper.  I realize there's only so much Steele can do to energize and motivate his guys, the team ultimately takes on the personality and characteristics of the HC.

28 minutes ago, keesler said:

The defense gave up hundreds of yards on the ground right up the middle to Fitz in the MSU game.  Not one D coach or leader on this defense made an adjustment at any point during that entire game.  Then they turned around and gave up chunks of yardage through the air to the UT QB, the guy literally doubled his passing production against our defense.

Now, if the offense took the wind out of the defense's sails then the problem with this team is much deeper.  I realize there's only so much Steele can do to energize and motivate his guys, the team ultimately takes on the personality and characteristics of the HC.

How many points did the defense give up? You realize that the only touchdown they gave up in the 1st half wasn't even a touchdown and only occurred after Ryan Davis muffed a punt at the 36, right? And that, up until that point, the defense had held MSU to only 6 points despite the offense only running 25 plays and holding the ball for less than 10 minutes? Why do y'all keep bringing up the yardage? Why do y'all keep bringing up one game in which the defense didn't allow many points in a season where they've been very good overall?  

Also, how often does our defense get to play with a lead? How much would that help Steele out with what he can do as a coach? 

The defense has made mistakes, yes. But they have played well enough to win every game. Unfortunately, they would have to play perfect football to compensate for Gus's garbage offense. So when they don't, the shortcomings are magnified and overblown. 

Edit: I apologize, keesler. You didn't deserve the attitude in that post. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Why do y'all keep bringing up the yardage?

Why do people keep acting like tbe offense is the only reason why they were always on the field? I’m not even bashing the defense. If anything I’m bashing the two million dollar DC that could not make one adjustment to stop a one dimensional offense despite having what you have say is “top three DL in tbe country.”

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You realize that the only touchdown they gave up in the 1st half wasn't even a touchdown and only occurred after Ryan Davis muffed a punt at the 36, right?

We intercepted the ball and returned it to their RZ and they held. That’s what good defenses do.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, how often does our defense get to play with a lead?

Washington, LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Souther Miss, etc. 

My 2 cents...

The D struggled vs Tenn b/c they were on the field all day and O gave them no hope of winning.   

The D struggles at times and we need more depth.  After several years of losing a marquee pass rusher to the NFL, this is kinda catching up with us (or we have been spoiled).  MSU was our anomaly.   

Bottom line:  we don't need anyone on the D to leave early this year.   Nobody should be a 1st rounder ( I hope not anyhow ).  

We will be a top 2-4 Defensive unit if we keep them intact next year.   

Also, Steele rotates and develops players throughout games and season, he knows how to build depth (cough, cough, unlike Gus on other side...).

Steele is prob the best DC we have had since the 80's ( think about it, schemes today are pretty hard to coach against and prep players for ), probably ever.  Can you imagine the mess we would be in if the D was below avg?   OMG

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

How many points did the defense give up? You realize that the only touchdown they gave up in the 1st half wasn't even a touchdown and only occurred after Ryan Davis muffed a punt at the 36, right? And that, up until that point, the defense had held MSU to only 6 points despite the offense only running 25 plays and holding the ball for less than 10 minutes? Why do y'all keep bringing up the yardage? Why do y'all keep bringing up one game in which the defense didn't allow many points in a season where they've been very good overall?  

Also, how often does our defense get to play with a lead? How much would that help Steele out with what he can do as a coach? 

The defense has made mistakes, yes. But they have played well enough to win every game. Unfortunately, they would have to play perfect football to compensate for Gus's garbage offense. So when they don't, the shortcomings are magnified and overblown. 

Because I simply agreed with Zeek in an earlier post - "The defense isn't playing their hardest football and the crappy offense may have taken the wind out of the defenses sails".

The defense didn't play up to standards and they (the defensive leaders and Steele) appeared to totally just give up in the MSU game.  Steele was visibly pissed in his presser, why?  Did his players loaf off, become distracted and lose focus because of some kind of internal locker room issues?   

I don't know any other way to explain their lack of execution in Starkville.  I was there in person, deafened by the dang cowbells the entire game.  MSU fans around me were perplexed and shocked that Fitz was able to consistently move the ball like he did, they just knew Steele would adjust and put a spy on the QB and sell out to defend the run.....it never happened.

I agree with you to a point, the shortcomings of the offense most definitely magnifies every aspect of the rest of the team and the defense is no exception.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

Because I simply agreed with Zeek in an earlier post - "The defense isn't playing their hardest football and the crappy offense may have taken the wind out of the defenses sails".

The defense didn't play up to standards and they (the defensive leaders and Steele) appeared to totally just give up in the MSU game.  Steele was visibly pissed in his presser, why?  Did his players loaf off, become distracted and lose focus because of some kind of internal locker room issues?   

I don't know any other way to explain their lack of execution in Starkville.  I was there in person, deafened by the dang cowbells the entire game.  MSU fans around me were perplexed and shocked that Fitz was able to consistently move the ball like he did, they just knew Steele would adjust and put a spy on the QB and sell out to defend the run.....it never happened.

I agree with you to a point, the shortcomings of the offense most definitely magnifies every aspect of the rest of the team and the defense is no exception.

FWIW, I edited my post with an apology for the attitude. You didn't deserve that from me.

And my deepest sympathies for sitting through that game in person. Brutal. 

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Well said. At the end of the day, the offense will rightly be blamed for the disappointing season. Defense is never going to be at fault there. Defense has to contribute to its own success though. There are opportunities that they’ve let slip away and somehow I will have to go another year wondering if the next year is the year we start forcing more TO’s. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

FWIW, I edited my post with an apology for the attitude. You didn't deserve that from me.

And my deepest sympathies for sitting through that game in person. Brutal. 

No problem man, it's all good.  🍻

I promise I've let my emotions get the best of me many times on this board and the season is only half over...........there will be so much more in store in the month of November.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Well said. At the end of the day, the offense will rightly be blamed for the disappointing season. Defense is never going to be at fault there. Defense has to contribute to its own success though. There are opportunities that they’ve let slip away and somehow I will have to go another year wondering if the next year is the year we start forcing more TO’s. 

Agree.....where are the turnovers and why are we in more trouble on defense when the opponent is 3rd and 12 than when they are 3rd and 2.?   

JMO but the "team" is supposed to be a team.....and hoping that Chip and Steele and Gus are not letting the ineffective O cause division.....because there have been plenty of times this season when the D could  have arisen to the occasion and stopped an opponent deep in their own territory but instead gave up a long 3rd down plays to keep a drive gong.   D has done a good job of keeping people out of the end zone, but as noted above, much of the TOS differential falls on the inability of the D to stop an opponents long drives.  Neither offense nor defense has room to point fingers...JMO

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Neither offense nor defense has room to point fingers...JMO

13th scoring defense vs 82nd scoring offense. 

Your most ridiculous comment yet, and that's really saying something. 

*Sorry, 72nd scoring offense. Wish I had been way more wrong about that. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

13th scoring defense vs 82nd scoring offense. 

Your most ridiculous comment yet, and that's really saying something. 

*Sorry, 72nd scoring offense. Wish I had been way more wrong about that. 

Gus apologist TBH

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

My 2 cents...

The D struggled vs Tenn b/c they were on the field all day and O gave them no hope of winning.   

The D struggles at times and we need more depth.  After several years of losing a marquee pass rusher to the NFL, this is kinda catching up with us (or we have been spoiled).  MSU was our anomaly.   

Bottom line:  we don't need anyone on the D to leave early this year.   Nobody should be a 1st rounder ( I hope not anyhow ).  

We will be a top 2-4 Defensive unit if we keep them intact next year.   

Also, Steele rotates and develops players throughout games and season, he knows how to build depth (cough, cough, unlike Gus on other side...).

Steele is prob the best DC we have had since the 80's ( think about it, schemes today are pretty hard to coach against and prep players for ), probably ever.  Can you imagine the mess we would be in if the D was below avg?   OMG

I'd say at the very least, D. Brown is gone, and probably late 1st or early 2nd round.

Man. If we just had an average offense not a single person would complain about our defense. 

I personally don't care if Fitzgerald is still running, we held them to 23 points. In 2018 no program, particularly one led by someone known for his offense, should ever lose a game in which they only gave up 23 points. This isn't the era where if you hit 350 yards of total offense you are blowing away the opponent anymore. It's just not.

We used to be scoring 23 before the midway point of the 2nd quarter!!! This is the reason we even hired Gus to lead our program - to win games where our opponents only score 23.

Points matter. Total yardage means nothing. 13th in scoring defense says it all. It would be in the top 10 if it had an offense that would allow our D to play without it's back against the wall at all times.

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

That's common practice on defense to change players depending on field situations.  Back in he heyday, Gus was noted for running the HUNH offense which prevented defenses from adjusting to different situations on the field....until a rules change made it where refs sat on the ball if the offense made a player change.   JMO but easier to work more different players into a game on the defensive side of the ball. 

But as noted, Steele does a pretty good job   ...except on third and long.   

37 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Points matter. Total yardage means nothing

Your confusing two different arguments. Our offense could’ve scored more points and our defense would’ve still been sucking wind because they couldn’t get off the field. Can’t only blame tbe offense there. When the defense gets off the field, they can rest, and the opponent yardage doesn’t accumulate.

54 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We used to be scoring 23 before the midway point of the 2nd quarter!!! This is the reason we even hired Gus to lead our program - to win games where our opponents only score 23.

The OC if not HC will get fired. That’s not the discussion. The discussion is how does a 2 million dollar DC and his heralded horses allowed 394 rushing yards to a one dimensional offense? 

41 minutes ago, Tiger said:

In 2018 no program, particularly one led by someone known for his offense, should ever lose a game in which they only gave up 23 points.

The same MSU team has combined for a grand total of 16 points between LSU, Florida, and Kentucky. If you want to hang your hat on that, go for it. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Says the guy whose feefees stay hurt because people hold a head coach responsible for his multiple losses to inferior teams and consistently woeful offensive performances in year 6 of his program.

It's patently ridiculous that you're going to focus on one "bad" game where the defense still only gave up 23 points despite a drive chart that looked like this. Our offense ran 25 freaking plays in the first half and put up 3 points. They did a lot better in the 2nd half though, right? 38 plays! And 6 points, and not a single possession that lasted 2 1/2 minutes. They didn't even hold the ball for 8 1/2 minutes out of a 30 minute second half. So yeah, the defense gave up a 2nd touchdown in the 4th quarter after they were pretty exhausted. 

Seriously. Do you even watch these games?

By the way, having a defense that's good at the only metric by which the outcomes of games are decided is kind of a good thing. The fact that your offense can't score more points than the other team- who is scoring the 13th-fewest against us in the nation- really, truly should be your primary concern. But your agenda dictates otherwise. So these conversations continue. 

Like the Braves pitchers (over the years): If you want to be scored a win? No problem. Just pitch a shutout.

25 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Like the Braves pitchers (over the years): If you want to be scored a win? No problem. Just pitch a shutout.

Fantastic analogy. And then it gets to the point that when those pitchers have a night where they're not Superman, everybody acts like they suck.

31 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I can imagine that giving up 394 rushing yards and 23 points is the equivalent of a pitcher giving up a four spot in the sixth while knowing he usually doesn’t have that much run support to begin with. IIWII

Here is a real kicker I saw earlier today. The contract was signed by Gus and AG quite a while back. Steele didn’t sign it till many months afterwards after the loss to UT. So why did KS wait so long to sign and why did he sign it after the UT game? Wandering minds want to know?

On 10/31/2018 at 8:44 AM, aubiefifty said:

Kevin Steele set to earn more than $2 million in 2018 under new 3-year contract, per report

Updated 8:20 AM; Posted 8:20 AM

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele agreed to a new three-year deal that began Jan. 1 and will make more than $2 million this season. (Julie Bennett)

0 shares

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

tgreen@al.com

Kevin Steele is Auburn’s $2 million man.

The third-year Auburn defensive coordinator is now one of at least three college assistant coaches in the country who will make in excess of $2 million this season, according to a report by USA Today, which obtained a copy of Steele’s latest contract — a three-year deal that began Jan. 1. An Aug. 30 response by Auburn to an AL.com Freedom of Information act request for the latest assistant coach contracts that was originally filed in March and refiled in June did not include the latest deal for Steele.

According to USA Today, Steele’s new deal will include $1.8 million in base salary this season, as well as a $250,000 retention bonus if he is still employed by the school at the end of the 2018 regular season, which includes the SEC Championship Game on Dec. 1. That retention bonus, which was also included in Steele’s original contract with Auburn, will be prorated if he is fired without cause before Dec. 1.

Where Gus Malzahn's salary, buyout rank nationally

Gus Malzahn is set to make more than $6.7 million this season.

Steele joins LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda ($2.5 million) and Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables ($2.2 million) as the FBS assistants known to earn more than $2 million annually this season, according to the report. Steele’s new contract came in the wake of head coach Gus Malzahn agreeing to a new seven-year, $49 million contract in December.

Under Steele’s original deal, which was set to run through Jan. 1, 2019, the longtime coaching veteran was set to earn $1.3 million in base salary this season. Last season his base salary was $1.2 million, with up to $102,500 in bonuses available, making him the nation’s seventh-highest paid college assistant, according to USA Today’s coaching salary database.

According to USA Today, Steele’s new deal includes $100,000 annual increases, making his base salary $1.9 million in 2019 and $2 million in 2020. However, under the terms of his new contract, Steele is no longer eligible for $225,000 in team defensive performance-based bonuses or an $83,333 retention payment due at the end of the 2019 season.

This season, Steele’s unit is ranked 13th nationally in scoring defense, 28th nationally against the run, 62nd against the pass, 27th in pass efficiency defense, 35th in total defense, 18th in total sacks and 28th in yards allowed per play.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Steele is worth every cent of that...if ...he can keep the defense focused, engaged, and at peak performance, regardless of what happens on offense.

Archived