Steele contract details

aubiefifty

13 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

The contract was signed by Gus and AG quite a while back. Steele didn’t sign it till many months afterwards after the loss to UT

Is this true? I figured we didn’t know about his contract only because the freedom of information requested was just now fulfilled. Why would Steele wait until after the Tennessee game?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Is this true? I figured we didn’t know about his contract only because the freedom of information requested was just now fulfilled. Why would Steele wait until after the Tennessee game?

It is curious but I'll say this, after the UT game maybe he thought the ship was sinking. This buys him a heck of a lifeboat. 

26 minutes ago, gr82be said:

It is curious but I'll say this, after the UT game maybe he thought the ship was sinking. This buys him a heck of a lifeboat. 

Well played Steele, well played.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:30 AM, McLoofus said:

Says the guy whose feefees stay hurt because people hold a head coach responsible for his multiple losses to inferior teams and consistently woeful offensive performances in year 6 of his program.

It's patently ridiculous that you're going to focus on one "bad" game where the defense still only gave up 23 points despite a drive chart that looked like this. Our offense ran 25 freaking plays in the first half and put up 3 points. They did a lot better in the 2nd half though, right? 38 plays! And 6 points, and not a single possession that lasted 2 1/2 minutes. They didn't even hold the ball for 8 1/2 minutes out of a 30 minute second half. So yeah, the defense gave up a 2nd touchdown in the 4th quarter after they were pretty exhausted. 

Seriously. Do you even watch these games?

By the way, having a defense that's good at the only metric by which the outcomes of games are decided is kind of a good thing. The fact that your offense can't score more points than the other team- who is scoring the 13th-fewest against us in the nation- really, truly should be your primary concern. But your agenda dictates otherwise. So these conversations continue. 

v9GWjWI.gif

4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

They didn't even hold the ball for 8 1/2 minutes out of a 30 minute second half.

Mississippi State held the ball for over 8 minutes on the first drive of the third quarter. No wonder tbe defense was tired. The defense couldn’t get off the field fast enough and the offense couldn’t stay on it.  

Someone above discounted the yardage issue as far as the defense's performance... and then complained about our TOP.....perhaps forgetting that allowing the other team to drive the field (even if the only get a FG) is a TOP issue and takes away from opportunities by the offense.   

Look at about a any game box score and you will note that most of our opponents have numerous drives of 70 yards or more that involved anywhere from 10 to 15 plays and TOP of sometimes 6-8 minutes.  

Keeping the opponent out of the end zone is an important factor but those long "bend but don't break" drives do not help the defensive players. ...and they keep our offense off the field. AU is something like 35th in yardage allowed.....and JMO, but that's not exceptional.  

As for Steele.....I'm happy we have him but guess that 2 million contract seems excessive though a number of other DCs are getting similar money elsewhere now.

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

takes away from opportunities by the offense.   

and they keep our offense off the field.

And you wonder how the Gus bashing gets perpetuated. You're begging for it. You're practically insisting that people remind you how badly Gus's offense sucks.

3 plays for 6 yards.

3 plays for -3 yards.

4 plays for 9 yards. (Hey! That one resulted in a field goal! Because the defense gave them the damn ball back with a short field.)

11 plays for 42 yards.

4 plays for 20 yards.

Muffed punt.

That was every time Auburn touched the ball in the first half of the MSU game. Your precious head coach and offensive genius is what limits the offense's opportunities and keeps them off the field.

Seriously, I ask again: Do you even watch the games? 

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

But as noted, Steele does a pretty good job   ...except on third and long.   

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5bdc63653767337136

http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category25/sort01.html

Auburn is actually one of the top teams in the nation in stopping people from converting 3rd Downs. #22 in actuality.

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5bdc63653767337136

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And you wonder how the Gus bashing gets perpetuated. You're begging for it. You're practically insisting that people remind you how badly Gus's offense sucks.

3 plays for 6 yards.

3 plays for -3 yards.

4 plays for 9 yards. (Hey! That one resulted in a field goal! Because the defense gave them the damn ball back with a short field.)

11 plays for 42 yards.

4 plays for 20 yards.

Muffed punt.

That was every time Auburn touched the ball in the first half of the MSU game. Your precious head coach and offensive genius is what limits the offense's opportunities and keeps them off the field.

Seriously, I ask again: Do you even watch the games? 

Defense is far from perfect but all in all they are definitely quality. They are giving up 16.5 ppg. That is like #13 in the freaking nation. That’s more than serviceable .

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Defense is far from perfect but all in all they are definitely quality. They are giving up 16.5 ppg. That is like #13 in the freaking nation. That’s more than serviceable .

Exactly. By all means, we can critique the defense. They have failed at times. But this notion that they share equal blame for these losses or that the offense's garbage performance doesn't affect their ability to keep opponents from scoring over the long term is patently ridiculous.

And for the record, I said the same thing about that awful UGA loss in 2014. The offense finally couldn't do it anymore. They couldn't keep apologizing for the defense for a full season. They finally gave out. I didn't blame Gus or the offense for that. In hindsight maybe I should have, but the point is that I don't have a particular affinity for either side of the ball. Nor do I hate Gus or love Steele. I just see one side playing good ball and one side playing very bad ball. 

18 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Your confusing two different arguments. Our offense could’ve scored more points and our defense would’ve still been sucking wind because they couldn’t get off the field. Can’t only blame tbe offense there. When the defense gets off the field, they can rest, and the opponent yardage doesn’t accumulate.

The OC if not HC will get fired. That’s not the discussion. The discussion is how does a 2 million dollar DC and his heralded horses allowed 394 rushing yards to a one dimensional offense? 

The same MSU team has combined for a grand total of 16 points between LSU, Florida, and Kentucky. If you want to hang your hat on that, go for it. 

I just feel like Steele has the benefit of the doubt if his unit drops the ball every once in a while (all while keeping the game within striking distance if the O held their end up). You can count on one hand over the last 2.5 seasons how many times the D has let us down. Could we get better at defending 3rd and long? Hell yeah. Can we get better in pass defense and pass rush? Absolutely. But as I see it the D is giving us a chance to win the games so I can't be mad at them or Steele. Keeping everyone except UT under 30 points is impressive I don't care about the yardage personally. 

I really don't think we are even thinking twice about the defense if our scoring was on par with last season.

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly. By all means, we can critique the defense

Finally. 

But this notion that they share equal blame for these losses

Nobody has ever said this. I’ve made this explicitly known that this wasn’t the case several times. 

r that the offense's garbage performance doesn't affect their ability to keep opponents from scoring over the long term

Nobody has said this either. We have been talking about getting off the field. You cannot blame the offense for making the defense tired  when they give up an 8 minute drive right after a long half time break. You just cannot. As 64 said, a bend and break defense will make the defense tired. We did a lot of bend and break in both the Moo State and Tennessee games.

Lastly, quit lashing out at 64. He is an older man in his late 70’s that has been nothing but respectful throughout this conversation. Why?

33 minutes ago, Tiger said:

just feel like Steele has the benefit of the doubt if his unit drops the ball every once in a while 

I have no problems with Steele. I have a problem with pointing out defensive issues and others scoff at the idea that anybody other than Gus has responsibilities. Tennessee is rated 13th out of 14th in the conference in offensive production and put up 30 on us, but I keep being told that Steele is hand’s off. I don’t get it.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I have no problems with Steele. I have a problem with pointing out defensive issues and others scoff at the idea that anybody other than Gus has responsibilities. Tennessee is rated 13th out of 14th in the conference in offensive production and put up 30 on us, but I keep being told that Steele is hand’s off. I don’t get it.

Why I personally don't criticize Steele as much is that we had a long term goal of fixing the D and he, along will Muschamp, saw that plan through. Operation: Success. He's got the D playing at a high level *almost* every week. He's doing his job, while not perfect, he's got his unit right where we want it. So, for me, I can let a bad game slide in the midst of a bunch of good ones as to expect any unit to play 12 great consecutive games of football is unlikely for any unit to accomplish.

Make no mistake about it that UT game was BAD. 30 points to that terrible O was not a good look and about the worst we've played defensively since Ellis Johnson was our DC. I can forgive him though because Steele has bad games at about the same rate Gus has good games.

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I can forgive him though because Steele has bad games at about the same rate Gus has good games.

I wasn’t inspired by his coaching against a one dimensional Moo state team either. I didn’t think Gus had a bad game against Tennessee either.

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He's got the D playing at a high level *almost* every week. He's doing his job, while not perfect, he's got his unit right where we want it. 

He picked up on what Muschamp started. Muschamp’s players are gone now. I mean this is all Steele now and he’s kept us in position this year but he’s paid 2 million a year now, and he’s just another well traveled coach. He can handle my criticisms. 

20 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Why I personally don't criticize Steele as much is that we had a long term goal of fixing the D and he, along will Muschamp, saw that plan through. Operation: Success. He's got the D playing at a high level *almost* every week. He's doing his job, while not perfect, he's got his unit right where we want it. So, for me, I can let a bad game slide in the midst of a bunch of good ones as to expect any unit to play 12 great consecutive games of football is unlikely for any unit to accomplish.

Make no mistake about it that UT game was BAD. 30 points to that terrible O was not a good look and about the worst we've played defensively since Ellis Johnson was our DC. I can forgive him though because Steele has bad games at about the same rate Gus has good games.

One small note: our defense only gave up 23 points to UT. 7 of those points were on a UT defensive touchdown. One of 3 turnovers for our offense that day. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One small note: our defense only gave up 23 points to UT. 7 of those points were on a UT defensive touchdown. One of 3 turnovers for our offense that day. 

Ahh yes. Forgot about that. Still, UT is 13th in the conference in points scored and last in yards per game.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Sorry but it's about more than just ppg…..And I'm not saying that the D is bad.......but just that the stats don't tell the whole story.    22, 23 and 30 in the losses but that's not the whole story either.     Just suggesting that you look at box scores and the play by play and drive charts for the games to see  the whole picture and not just look at summary statistics. .  

For example....in the LSU game, in the fourth we gave up a 71 yard TD and later a 5 minute 14 play drive that enabled them to kick the game winning FG or a Tenn QB that nobody ever heard of looked like Manning and throws for 300+ yards.       You draw your conclusions and I'll draw mine....it's an opinion forum after all... 

I think any coach would trade bleeding yards for giving up minimal points. It truly is about the points. Its the only tangible thing that determines if you win or not. Yards have no value other than to put you in position to hopefully score. But what good is 500 yards if you don't score many points? 

Nobody plays perfect. We should be happy we are in top 15 of scoring D

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I think any coach would trade bleeding yards for giving up minimal points. It truly is about the points

Ultimately, points are all that matter at the end of the day. Defenses still have to stay fresh (on their own or by spoils of a successful offense) or else the elasticity of the defense deteriorates. That’s all I’m saying. We agree that points are what ultimately matter though, so we can call a a stoppage right here. ✌️

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I think any coach would trade bleeding yards for giving up minimal points. It truly is about the points. Its the only tangible thing that determines if you win or not. Yards have no value other than to put you in position to hopefully score. But what good is 500 yards if you don't score many points? 

Agree that bleeding off yards and not points is worthwhile when you have a lead,  but from my years of watching football, it is as much about when something happens as anything else.   Games are often won or lost (especially by AU) by what happens in last ten minutes or less.... when a 3rd down stop is made or  first down accomplished at a critical moment.   Stats give a general picture but it's pretty easy to look back at our losses and pinpoint just a few plays that were the difference.  

Without laying blame on anyone, my biggest disappointments are the games where we gave up the lead at and lost in the last few minutes....or had the chance to pull out a game with a few solid offensive plays and missed a FG or dropped a pass of committed a foolish penalty.   The stats at the end of many close games are frequently not even a very good indicator about who should have or could have won.  And of course,  how many times have we heard that "stats are for losers to brag about".

It's been pretty rare that AU has broken another team's heart by scoring a TD or FG in the last minute to win a game......or stop a team cold when it looked like they were heading down the field with a chance to win...especially on the road.    JMO but  much of the drama in AU games in recent years (other than Kick 6) has seemed to end in disappointment. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Sorry but it's about more than just ppg…..And I'm not saying that the D is bad.......but just that the stats don't tell the whole story.    22, 23 and 30 in the losses but that's not the whole story either.     Just suggesting that you look at box scores and the play by play and drive charts for the games to see  the whole picture and not just look at summary statistics. .  

For example....in the LSU game, in the fourth we gave up a 71 yard TD and later a 5 minute 14 play drive that enabled them to kick the game winning FG or a Tenn QB that nobody ever heard of looked like Manning and throws for 300+ yards.       You draw your conclusions and I'll draw mine....it's an opinion forum after all... 

I agree ...situationally the defense has failed in some big moments. Still a  great defense but just like the offense they have failed to execute at crucial times, especially in the losses @ home.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Also, I wonder how much knowing that the offense can't score plays into Steele's decision making. That often leads to a conservative, bend-don't-break approach. We've still managed to give up a few home runs but like you said, top 15 of scoring D is top 15 of scoring D. Defense hasn't given up more than 23 points in a game yet. Steele's doing his job. 

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree that bleeding off yards and not points is worthwhile when you have a lead,  but from my years of watching football, it is as much about when something happens as anything else.   Games are often won or lost (especially by AU) by what happens in last ten minutes or less.... when a 3rd down stop is made or  first down accomplished at a critical moment.   Stats give a general picture but it's pretty easy to look back at our losses and pinpoint just a few plays that were the difference.  

Without laying blame on anyone, my biggest disappointments are the games where we gave up the lead at and lost in the last few minutes....or had the chance to pull out a game with a few solid offensive plays and missed a FG or dropped a pass of committed a foolish penalty.   The stats at the end of many close games are frequently not even a very good indicator about who should have or could have won.  And of course,  how many times have we heard that "stats are for losers to brag about".

It's been pretty rare that AU has broken another team's heart by scoring a TD or FG in the last minute to win a game......or stop a team cold when it looked like they were heading down the field with a chance to win...especially on the road.    JMO but  much of the drama in AU games in recent years (other than Kick 6) has seemed to end in disappointment. 

You're so right about winning a game in crunch time. It seems like it's been since 2014 since we won a game at the end with a big play to seal it (vs Ole Miss. Thank you Kris Frost!). 

I think part of that has to do with if our offense is on we are great and generally beat teams comfortably, but if we start off slow Gus is incapable of making adjustments so the game is essentially over after the first quarter or half. 

Archived