Seth williams

aubiefifty

Auburn expects big finish to ‘freak athlete’ Seth Williams’ freshman 

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

tgreen@al.com

Seth Williams didn’t have the luxury of going through spring practices at Auburn, yet it didn’t take long for the freshman receiver’s skillset to become recognized, and appreciated, by his new teammates.

Williams’ innate ability on the field became apparent shortly after his arrival in the summer, well before Auburn’s coaches had a chance to officially oversee him in practice, so it hasn’t been surprising to his Tigers teammates what he has done through his first eight college games.

“The players already knew what he could do from being in camp,” senior receiver Ryan Davis said. “Not just camp, but the offseason as well, before the coaches got to see him. We kind of already knew what he was able to do — for him it was about showing it for the coaches. But for him to come in and have the impact he has, it's just a testament to how hard he works and the way he plays the game.”

In a short time, Williams has emerged as one of Auburn’s most explosive and impressive offensive weapons. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder is third on the team in both receptions (14) and receiving yards (310) while tied for the team lead with two touchdown receptions, sharing that title with fellow freshman Anthony Schwartz.

Williams has started five of Auburn’s eight games this season, including the last four as the Tigers’ Y receiver. He also leads the team with 22.1 yards per touch despite registering just 14 catches and being targeted 26 times heading into this weekend’s home game against No. 25 Texas A&M.

“First of all, he has the ability,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn sad. “He has a very good skillset; it has just been a process of him becoming more comfortable. The more that you’re out there and you got your number called and are successful, the more success you have…. Seth is one of those guys that I think could even take that next step this final part of the season.”

Auburn freshmen making biggest impact of Gus Malzahn era

Auburn's freshmen on offense and defense have been major contributors for the Tigers this season.

When Williams arrived in the summer, the Tigers weren’t quite sure where he would fit in offensively given what the team returned at receiver, though he quickly impressed his teammates in offseason workouts. By the time fall camp came around, Williams earned his way onto the field as it became apparent the Cottondale native would be among the Tigers’ freshman contributors this season.

In his college debut against Washington, he hauled in two passes for 37 yards — a modest start, but one that gave an early peek at what Williams was capable of on the field. Following the early-season departure of Nate Craig-Myers, Williams’ role expanded even more, as the primary player in front of him at the Y receiver position was now gone.

“He’s a great kid,” quarterback Jarrett Stidham said. “Works really hard. Understands what he’s supposed to be doing. And, I mean, he’s a freak athlete. So, I just try to get the ball in him and let him to do his thing.”

Williams has come down with some memorable catches (and non-catches) this season, including his first career touchdown against Southern Miss, when he high-pointed a ball over a Golden Eagles defensive back for a 46-yard touchdown in the first quarter. He also had a pair of similarly impressive receptions against Tennessee, when he had a career-best five receptions for a career-high 85 yards and a touchdown.

No single catch has particularly stood out to Williams, though that sort of comes with his mentality at receiver.

“If the ball comes out, I expect to come down with it,” Williams said. “That’s how I’ve been growing up playing football: If the ball comes around you and you can catch it, you catch it. You try your best to catch it.”

That approach, paired with Williams’ big-play ability, has the Tigers wanting to get the freshman more involved offensively heading into the final month of the season — especially after leading the team in receiving yards each of the last two games, the most recent a two-catch, 83-yard effort against Ole Miss in which he wasn’t targeted until early in the third quarter.

“He's just a confident kid,” Davis said. “He believes in his abilities, and he's not worried about messing up at all. I think just him going out there and playing with that self-confidence and knowing that everybody around him is confident in him and he knows that the players and coaches have his back. I think him just going out and playing his game, he has all the ability in the world. But for him to just go out there and not worry about this or what somebody else — just go out there and play ball. If it needs to be corrected, we'll correct it. But just keep going and playing your game.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

GOTCHA! could not give y'all all candy cus i spent all my money on pbr for golf so i just pulled the trick side of halloween on y"all.  waves

We don't talk about him enough...Schwartz and Shivers get all the praise around here, but this dude is a monster and has made us all forget about losing NCM.

15 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn expects big finish to ‘freak athlete’ Seth Williams’ freshman season

Updated Oct 30, 11:58 PM; Posted 7:00 AM

Auburn freshman receiver Seth Williams is coming off his two best games of the season, and the Tigers hope to get him more involved offensively over the final month of the season. (Madison Ogletree/AL.com)

4 shares

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

tgreen@al.com

Seth Williams didn’t have the luxury of going through spring practices at Auburn, yet it didn’t take long for the freshman receiver’s skillset to become recognized, and appreciated, by his new teammates.

Williams’ innate ability on the field became apparent shortly after his arrival in the summer, well before Auburn’s coaches had a chance to officially oversee him in practice, so it hasn’t been surprising to his Tigers teammates what he has done through his first eight college games.

“The players already knew what he could do from being in camp,” senior receiver Ryan Davis said. “Not just camp, but the offseason as well, before the coaches got to see him. We kind of already knew what he was able to do — for him it was about showing it for the coaches. But for him to come in and have the impact he has, it's just a testament to how hard he works and the way he plays the game.”

In a short time, Williams has emerged as one of Auburn’s most explosive and impressive offensive weapons. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder is third on the team in both receptions (14) and receiving yards (310) while tied for the team lead with two touchdown receptions, sharing that title with fellow freshman Anthony Schwartz.

Williams has started five of Auburn’s eight games this season, including the last four as the Tigers’ Y receiver. He also leads the team with 22.1 yards per touch despite registering just 14 catches and being targeted 26 times heading into this weekend’s home game against No. 25 Texas A&M.

“First of all, he has the ability,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn sad. “He has a very good skillset; it has just been a process of him becoming more comfortable. The more that you’re out there and you got your number called and are successful, the more success you have…. Seth is one of those guys that I think could even take that next step this final part of the season.”

Auburn freshmen making biggest impact of Gus Malzahn era

Auburn's freshmen on offense and defense have been major contributors for the Tigers this season.

When Williams arrived in the summer, the Tigers weren’t quite sure where he would fit in offensively given what the team returned at receiver, though he quickly impressed his teammates in offseason workouts. By the time fall camp came around, Williams earned his way onto the field as it became apparent the Cottondale native would be among the Tigers’ freshman contributors this season.

In his college debut against Washington, he hauled in two passes for 37 yards — a modest start, but one that gave an early peek at what Williams was capable of on the field. Following the early-season departure of Nate Craig-Myers, Williams’ role expanded even more, as the primary player in front of him at the Y receiver position was now gone.

“He’s a great kid,” quarterback Jarrett Stidham said. “Works really hard. Understands what he’s supposed to be doing. And, I mean, he’s a freak athlete. So, I just try to get the ball in him and let him to do his thing.”

Williams has come down with some memorable catches (and non-catches) this season, including his first career touchdown against Southern Miss, when he high-pointed a ball over a Golden Eagles defensive back for a 46-yard touchdown in the first quarter. He also had a pair of similarly impressive receptions against Tennessee, when he had a career-best five receptions for a career-high 85 yards and a touchdown.

No single catch has particularly stood out to Williams, though that sort of comes with his mentality at receiver.

“If the ball comes out, I expect to come down with it,” Williams said. “That’s how I’ve been growing up playing football: If the ball comes around you and you can catch it, you catch it. You try your best to catch it.”

That approach, paired with Williams’ big-play ability, has the Tigers wanting to get the freshman more involved offensively heading into the final month of the season — especially after leading the team in receiving yards each of the last two games, the most recent a two-catch, 83-yard effort against Ole Miss in which he wasn’t targeted until early in the third quarter.

“He's just a confident kid,” Davis said. “He believes in his abilities, and he's not worried about messing up at all. I think just him going out there and playing with that self-confidence and knowing that everybody around him is confident in him and he knows that the players and coaches have his back. I think him just going out and playing his game, he has all the ability in the world. But for him to just go out there and not worry about this or what somebody else — just go out there and play ball. If it needs to be corrected, we'll correct it. But just keep going and playing your game.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

aufam is paying me a dollar an article now to post stuff! How awesome is that?

Your agent was obviously not Sexton. 😁

28 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

We don't talk about him enough...Schwartz and Shivers get all the praise around here, but this dude is a monster and has made us all forget about losing NCM.

I was thinking the guy that got kicked off the team last year.  ....name's escaping me.

EDIT:. Kyle Davis

Seth should be getting a minimum of 5 targets a game. It should take only one reception to know that and have game plans designed accordingly. He is going to be a big time NFL receiver before it's all said and done. 

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Seth should be getting a minimum of 5 targets a game. It should take only one reception to know that and have game plans designed accordingly. He is going to be a big time NFL receiver before it's all said and done. 

I really wish we had an offense to fully take advantage of his skillset

He's doing well but he hasn't made me forget anybody....it makes me think what could he do in a good offense and what could we really had done with all the talent we've had at the wr position in general

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He's doing well but he hasn't made me forget anybody....it makes me think what could he do in a good offense and what could we really had done with all the talent we've had at the wr position in general

You're not wrong.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I really wish we had an offense to fully take advantage of his skillset

Can you imagine him playing for Clemson?

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

If he could block as well as NCM, he might not ever get thrown a single pass. 

Also, how far our expectations for WRs have fallen. 14 catches for 310 yards and we're acting like he's Christian Kirk. 

I've said it before and say it again, Gus, Lindsey or whoever is actually in charge of the offense needs to stay awake at night coming up with ways to get SW and AS the ball

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If he could block as well as NCM, he might not ever get thrown a single pass. 

Also, how far our expectations for WRs have fallen. 14 catches for 310 yards and we're acting like he's Christian Kirk. 

Man no way in hell I'd show I can block....soon as you do somebody on here will say I couldn't get separation lol. And don't be highly rated....that's a negative as far as support and coaches. You definitely have to sit then

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

Every other catch he makes seems to be highlight reel quality. His size and secure hands have made me forget a couple and remind me of a couple more. Get that kid the ball early and often

6 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I've said it before and say it again, Gus, Lindsey or whoever is actually in charge of the offense needs to stay awake at night coming up with ways to get SW and AS the ball

According to AL.com, they are averaging 4.88 COMBINED touches a game. Inexcusable.

Archived