Bryan Matthews and Jay Tate podcast

CR

Everyone except about 5 people on here should listen to their podcast. I'm computer illiterate so I can't post a link but it's listed on Matthews' twitter page. Straight talk from people who have covered Auburn for years. Free listen.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

I listened. Man, did Matthews go off on Malzahn and his offensive recruiting issues. 10/30 show definitely a must listen. 

Matthews is an AU guy all the way, but he tells it like it is. No sugarcoating from BM.
Thanks for the link. Hope people will give it a listen.

20 minutes ago, CR said:

Matthews is an AU guy all the way, but he tells it like it is. No sugarcoating from BM.
Thanks for the link. Hope people will give it a listen.

I give it 20 minutes before someone complains they are just being negative, lol

Man some on this site don't need to ever get online.

Admittedly I haven't listened to BM - I plan to do so if I can get these dang accountants out of my office for more than 10 minutes this afternoon.  WORK! :banghead:

Here's my question though.........Did BMatthews "tell it like it is" and go off on Gus' offensive recruiting issues at any time in the past 2-3-4-5years?  

Seriously, I've listened to BM on the local radio sports talk show for years and he's always come across very positive relative to the AU coaching staff's recruiting efforts.  I can't ever recall him questioning how out staff evaluates talent or him giving a negative view of the recruiting classes they've pulled in or him even giving any negative light on the players Gus & Co have signed?

I'm just not sure why he'd "tell it like it is" today & not when Gus was pulling in the stars over the past 5 yrs?

Honestly, I have come to the realization that Gus won’t be gone next year. Quite frankly, we need to hope to not have to start a re-do. With that being said, let’s hope we can get the right offensive coordinator. Gus could totally redeem himself with me if he fought to get KB. I think with him, JS returns and the offensive line have an extra year under their belt, it could potentially lead to very good results. However, if it is the same ole same ole Gus yes man hire, then I expect Auburn and Gus to implode in the foreseeable future.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly, I have come to the realization that Gus won’t be gone next year. Quite frankly, we need to hope to not have to start a re-do. With that being said, let’s hope we can get the right offensive coordinator.

AuburninEugene and I have been saying this for nearly two weeks now. I’m glad y’all are now figuring out that we shouldn’t and that we aren’t firing Gus this year.

I was even labeled a sunshine pumper and those are fighting words according to my negatiger black book. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

AuburninEugene and I have been saying this for nearly two weeks now. I’m glad y’all are now figuring out that we shouldn’t and that we aren’t firing Gus this year.

I was even labeled a sunshine pumper and those are fighting words according to my negatiger black book. 

Yeah people have kinda let up a little coming off a win but when we get curb stomped by Jimbo at home Saturday they will remember. 

Just now, wcware said:

Yeah people have kinda let up a little coming off a win but when we get curb stomped by Jimbo at home Saturday they will remember. 

Yep, I am not saying he shouldn't get fired. I am saying I don't think he will. Again, with that being said, he needs to hire the right OC because next year, those expectations will be deadly. 

11 minutes ago, wcware said:

I’m going to sound like a sunshine pumper (and I’m really not!) but I think we got a shot at beating aTm. I’m fairly confident we will not get curb stomped if we do lose also.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m going to sound like a sunshine pumper (and I’m really not!) but I think we got a shot at beating aTm. I’m fairly confident we will not get curb stomped if we do lose also.

We will beat them and Jimbo is overrated ASF. I don't know why he gets so much respect here. He won at FSU, with highly touted recruiting classes, a Heisman QB and in the ACC which is very top heavy. He left FSU a mess, however. Same offensive line problems as well doing his tenure.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jimbo is overrated ASF

Yes he is. You’re dead on about the problems he passed on to FSU as well. He will recruit well at aTm and he will have plenty of resources, but he will probably average out to being the third or fourth best SECw team every year. 

Been listening to their podcast for a while.  BM has always been fairly vocal about things when he thinks Gus or the coaching staff is dropping the ball in some area.  But he's not a Negative Nelly who bitches just to bitch and sound edgy.

33 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I think we somehow win. I am crazy. 

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep, I am not saying he shouldn't get fired. I am saying I don't think he will. Again, with that being said, he needs to hire the right OC because next year, those expectations will be deadly. 

I don't think he gets cut this year either, even with all the bravado "insiders" have spewed about the Boosters ponying up the big $$ buyout on the spot.  lol

But a new OC won't change a dang thing IMO.  Higher expectations next year won't matter in the least to CGM because he is "set" financially regardless.  That buyout will have a minimal reduction next year and will still be considered obscene by many.  Gus will have his same old "trust" issues with the a new OC & QB and I honestly feel like he needs a new oline coach as well which throws another wrench in the mix because then he's got a new OC with a green QB and a new Oline coach that will need time to mesh with the new OC's schemes.   :dead:

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don't think he gets cut this year either, even with all the bravado "insiders" have spewed about the Boosters ponying up the big $$ buyout on the spot.  lol

But a new OC won't change a dang thing IMO.  Higher expectations next year won't matter in the least to CGM because he is "set" financially regardless.  That buyout will have a minimal reduction next year and will still be considered obscene by many.  Gus will have his same old "trust" issues with the a new OC & QB and I honestly feel like he needs a new oline coach as well which throws another wrench in the mix because then he's got a new OC with a green QB and a new Oline coach that will need time to mesh with the new OC's schemes.   :dead:

You might be right but we got to try something...like I said the perfect storm would be getting KB here and JS returning with another year with this green o-line.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You might be right but we got to try something...like I said the perfect storm would be getting KB here and JS returning with another year with this green o-line.

...and let KB bring in his own guys...  No more "YesGus" subordinates.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yep. KB should have the ability to bring anyone who he desires. It should completely be overhauled to him.

I like B Matt. Talks like he has a mouth of tissue but his is usually on point and fair. This team is young and raw in a lot of key positions. Several of those high classes Auburn swung and missed on some players especially OL and RB. Recruiting is as much as about meeting needs as it is about stars. As a result of those misses you see a lack of depth and talent at key positions. 

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep. KB should have the ability to bring anyone who he desires. It should completely be overhauled to him.

Yep, in Randy Clements with him and the oline is fixed . He's been the backbone of that offense some would say

I gotta think that KB (and I'm sure he'll consult with his dad) is too smart to "hitch his wagon" to Gus.  Maybe if he gets it spelled out in his contract that he has complete control of the offense and ability to hire/fire his own offensive assistants, but no way I'd see Gus agreeing to that.  If he comes in alone, he'd turn in to another Rhett/Chip.

20 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

my dear friend, you know that this ain't gonna' happen with edit. You know better"( apologies to neil diamond)....he is not getting fired,as much as i would like to see him gone....it just shows what a dumbass president we have in okaying this..... 72' will attest that i tried to warn folks when mr. wizard was hired ( our secret 72')....it is going to get a lot worse shortly.....why do i say this?....all good coaches have something in common,actually several but to prove a point just focus on this one, that something is a background....dye had bryant  ,tubbs had jimmy j. and r.c., saban had belicek and others, etc....who does mr. wizard have in his background?...houston friggin' nutt and only one year of that and then chizik....not much is it?....when things get outside his comfort zone, he does not know if he is scratching his watch or winding his ass

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Jay G. put out something today too (behind a pay wall).  Won't go too into it because of site rules, but it sounds like most money people are done with Gus no matter what and Greene has been made fully aware of this.

If he stays, my understanding is that it won't be because the money isn't there.

Great podcast. Blaming (rightly) Gus on all the offensive, and sometimes defensive recruiting issues. "Thinks he knows how to evaluate talent and he doesn't". 

People can defend Gus all they want, the way we've recruited on the OL, at QB and at RB is absolutely inexcusable.

Archived