2019 5* LB Owen Pappoe commits to AU!!!

WFE12

DcJeqtHU0AA66Xr.jpg

• Consensus 5* LB, nation's No. 1 linebacker, the second-best player in Georgia and the eighth-ranked player in the 2019 class
  • Teammate of 4* OT Wanya Morris
  • AU vs UGA battle
  • 40+ Offers: AU, Bama, Boston College, BYU, Cal, Cincinnati, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, UGA, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Jax State, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Mass, Memphis, Miami (Fl), Michigan, Miss. State, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, South Carolina, South Alabama, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas-San Antonio, Tulane, UAB, USC, Vanderbilt, West Virginia and Wisconsin, among others.
  • Unofficial Visits to AU:
    • 4/02/18
    • 3/04/18
    • 6/14/17
  • AU offered 4/30/2015
  • Recruiter: T-Will

DXehV6KVAAAuvXf.jpg

DXehV6QU0AArtst.jpg

DXehV6MU8AEmJMb.jpg

DcJdYT2VMAAc4aa.jpg

image.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5-star 2019 linebacker Owen Pappoe alters top 3 after Auburn junior day

AUBURN, Ala. — Of the top prospects on campus Saturday, few were bigger than 5-star linebacker Owen Pappoe.

After the visit, Pappoe decided to make a slight alteration to his top schools

“Auburn is most definitely in it now. After this visit, my head’s just spinning. Just getting to talk to the players, getting to talk to coach T-Will more in-depth out of any time I’ve visited Auburn,” Pappoe said. ” If I had to say three schools right now, I’d say Auburn, Georgia and Clemson.”

His top group isn’t the only difference.

Pappoe had been nearing a decision. He admitted after the Auburn junior day he’ll likely have to adjust when he makes his college choice. Pappoe still expects to choose before his senior season, but it won’t be immediately as he once thought. As he puts it, the decision isn’t “way down the road,” but he needed to “take a step back.”

That will benefit the Tigers.

Williams is a big reason for the adjusted timeline.

“It was the longest time I’ve been here. I spent a lot of time one-on-one with Coach T-Will. Even at a junior day with a bunch of people here, he still made enough time for me. That made a big impact,” Pappoe said.

“By the time I’m signing they’re going to have five linebackers,” Pappoe said. “That’s big because I’m going to have the opportunity to come in, if I work hard and do whatever, I’m going to have the opportunity to play.”

48 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Has T-Will gotten his pay raise yet?!!!!

T-Will is definitely getting us in the discussion for some top LB’s. But eventually he needs to land one of these 5*’s

We need to start winning some battles for elite talent vs good talent.  I would love to start with this guy.  T Will has just enough tenure here where he can have some early relationships with guys.

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

T-Will is definitely getting us in the discussion for some top LB’s. But eventually he needs to land one of these 5*’s

Not necessarily. He's developed the mostly 4*s he's had well.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not necessarily. He's developed the mostly 4*s he's had well.

This year will be the tell.  I love T-Will and he has done well with what he has had.  I still would like some elite players in that position that are game changers.  I hope some of our younger guys turn into that but it is too early to tell if we have guys that can play adequately in our system or if they can take over a game on defense.  I hate to keep bringing him up but Roquan Smith was a game changer on D.  With our current D line the opportunity is there to ball out at the LB position.  Tre Williams has had 10 tackles for loss in the last 3 years at Auburn.  RS had 14 this year alone and 20.5 over 3 years. Deshaun Davis has had 14 TFL in 3 years. Darrel Williams had 4 this year and 7 in two years.

RS had more TFL this year than all 3 of our LB's combined.  I think we have a better D line than UGA and I am not sure why our LBs are not making more plays across the line of scrimmage.

There is nothing wrong with wanting or wishing for elite level players.  Some pan out and some don't.  I wish to increase the odds by getting as many elite guys as possible.

5 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

This year will be the tell.  I love T-Will and he has done well with what he has had.  I still would like some elite players in that position that are game changers.  I hope some of our younger guys turn into that but it is too early to tell if we have guys that can play adequately in our system or if they can take over a game on defense.  I hate to keep bringing him up but Roquan Smith was a game changer on D.  With our current D line the opportunity is there to ball out at the LB position.  Tre Williams has had 10 tackles for loss in the last 3 years at Auburn.  RS had 14 this year alone and 20.5 over 3 years. Deshaun Davis has had 14 TFL in 3 years.

There is nothing wrong with wanting or wishing for elite level players.  Some pan out and some don't.  I wish to increase the odds by getting as many elite guys as possible.

UGA blitzed there LB far more in the past few years than we have even thought of.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

UGA blitzed there LB far more in the past few years than we have even thought of.

Yes.  I think the question of why helps answer my point. Steele relies on the edge rush.  Does he completely choose not to bring pressure up the middle due to not believing in doing that in his system or because he does not feel he has the type of players to do that.  Auburn has lacked and needed pressure up the middle in so many games.  At times when our outside rush does not get there we give the QB all day.  On the flip side we see JS getting dive bombed with middle pressure a good bit.

3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Yes.  I think the question of why helps answer my point.

Not necessarily, just different philosophies. I think if you switched the two their stats would be similarly skewed. Although I do think RS was/is more talented.

Not necessarily, just different philosophies. I think if you switched the two their stats would be similarly skewed. Although I do think RS was/is more talented.

Philosophy probably has a lot to do with it.  I just don't see a player on our roster at that position that can spy or take away a player on the offensive side like RS can.  And lets be honest, if you are not bringing Tre Williams up to make plays in the backfield then what are you really asking him to do?  He is not a coverage guy and his best attributes are not playing sideline to sideline.  To me his talent and build/ability are more geared to an A gap B gap run stopper.

26 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I just don't see a player on our roster at that position that can spy or take away a player on the offensive side like RS can.  

I think Wooten and Britt could fill that role nicely.

23 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Deshaun Davis did just fine spying Jalen Hurts...

Good Linebacker but not even close talent wise in what he can do, in my opinion.  If you think differently then that is okay.  Davis had 82 tackles this year of which 37 were solo.

RS had 137 tackles this year and 85 were solo.  Thats more solo tackles than total tackles.  There is no comparison and that is not a knock on DD.

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think Wooten and Britt could fill that role nicely.

That is exactly what I am hoping to see.  

34 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Deshaun Davis did just fine spying Jalen Hurts...

Hurts had 80+ yards rushing at 4.6 per.  Over a yard better than KJ.  DD had 3 solo tackles and 4 assist.

It’s time to expect more.  Higher rated players.  Better play as far as impact play from the LBs.  Granted we run a very conservative defensive scheme  and very basic which takes away from our big play potential.  Against lesser teams our front 4 dominates and wins games for us.  In games we don’t dominate the front we lack big time players on the back end to make explosive plays.  Some is scheme some is lack of truly elite talent.  So we play conservative and don’t think teams can continue to block our front and make lasting long drives throughout the game.  I think that’s the best philosophy for our talent.  

We had such horrible LB play over the past 10 years solid linebacker play looks great to us when it’s mainly just solid.  That’s not a knock on any of the coaches

7 hours ago, corchjay said:

It’s time to expect more.  Higher rated players.  Better play as far as impact play from the LBs.  

The problem I see, is there are limited tier 1 Stud LBs. They get to have their picking of schools and typically lean towards the blue bloods and state schools.  What we need to be able to do is secure the really good tier 2 LBs and be able to coach them into the elite type of backers.  Yes, this is an old example, but look at Karlos Dansby. We took him from skinny WR to stud LB. That's the type of coaching we need 

Also, as long as we don't use LB to create added pressure the only real impact they can have is in the run game.

The problem I see, is there are limited tier 1 Stud LBs. They get to have their picking of schools and typically lean towards the blue bloods and state schools.  What we need to be able to do is secure the really good tier 2 LBs and be able to coach them into the elite type of backers.  Yes, this is an old example, but look at Karlos Dansby. We took him from skinny WR to stud LB. That's the type of coaching we need 

Maybe Auburn can take an under utilized wr named Marquis McClain and coach him up to be an explosive, big time playmaker on defense.

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

Maybe Auburn can take an under utilized wr named Marquis McClain and coach him up to be an explosive, big time playmaker on defense.

Since his position coach has said that McClain's big thing is he needs to grow up, maybe putting him at linebacker and having him go 1 on 1 all Spring with one of the OL guys vying for a starting guard position will age him a bit, ya' think?

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Also, as long as we don't use LB to create added pressure the only real impact they can have is in the run game.

You and I are speaking the same language.  The problem I see, and I think it has changed with some recent recruits, is that our LB's have not been rangy.  Give me a 6-3 to 

6-4 kid that can fly and then put the correct weight on him.  If Steele is not going to pressure from the second level or run blitz the LB's then we need rangy guys that can cover and tackle.  Don't forget DT.  He was 185 lbs. when we signed him.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Since his position coach has said that McClain's big thing is he needs to grow up, maybe putting him at linebacker and having him go 1 on 1 all Spring with one of the OL guys vying for a starting guard position will age him a bit, ya' think?

It will grow you up in a hurry and make you fight for something that's for sure

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Was that Joe Whitt?

If memory serves, that LB group also included a very undersized LB named Travis Williams.

WDE!

Edit:  Wasn't Will Herring also at AU around that time?  Antarrious Williams?  Somebody call Brodie Croyle, I'll bet he knows.

Archived