2019 5* LB Owen Pappoe commits to AU!!!

WFE12

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Was that Joe Whitt?

If memory serves, that LB group also included a very undersized LB named Travis Williams.

WDE!

Edit:  Wasn't Will Herring also at AU around that time?  Antarrious Williams?  Somebody call Brodie Croyle, I'll bet he knows.

Herring came in after them.  He went in the draft in 2007.  

42 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Was that Joe Whitt?

If memory serves, that LB group also included a very undersized LB named Travis Williams.

WDE!

Edit:  Wasn't Will Herring also at AU around that time?  Antarrious Williams?  Somebody call Brodie Croyle, I'll bet he knows.

CTT coached under Jimmy Johnson at UM and understood the need for speed at the LB position.  See ball get to ball as fast as possible.  Honestly it was before the Spread was popular and in my opinion those guys would be even better in todays game as long as they use their speed to get past the blocks before the blockers get there.  

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes

Joe, like Pat Dye, could walk into a house, sit down with the recruits family, and eat anything from chitlins to ice cream.  From dirt roads to the city it did not matter.  They could make a family feel like the coaches were part of their people.  

Just now, NorthGATiger said:

Joe, like Pat Dye, could walk into a house, sit down with the recruits family, and eat anything from chitlins to ice cream.  From dirt roads to the city it did not matter.  They could make a family feel like the coaches were part of their people.  

TWill learned a lot from Whitt

57 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Herring came in after them.  He went in the draft in 2007.  

Yep, Herring was the other safety beside Rosegreen and later moved to LB in 05 or 06.  Chizik's D under Tuberville believed that speed was king and size was lower on the priority list.  Travis and Antarrious (and Sears) were badasses.  When AW got hurt in 04 there was a noticeable drop-off in our LB play b/c his speed was such an asset.  I think it was Graves that filled in and he just didn't have that same burst.

• 4 weeks later...

5-star linebacker Owen Pappoe places Auburn in top two after second visit in one month

Benjamin Wolk

AUBURN, Ala. — Owen Pappoe‘s top three, as he puts it, is “gone.”

The 5-star linebacker from Grayson High in Loganville, Ga., put out a top list in 2017 that included Georgia, Clemson and Nebraska. He hinted after his Auburn junior day visit last month that it was a list likely to need some restructuring. Pappoe has taken some time to see a few other programs, including Tennessee on Saturday, and it has given him more clarity about his top schools of interest.

Georgia is No. 1. Auburn is No. 2. For right now, those are the two programs Pappoe is honing in on.

“That top three is gone. I’d say Georgia and Auburn are my top two. … Right now Georgia is my top school. I said Auburn and Georgia are my top two, but I would say Georgia is my number one right now. They really do have a good chance of landing me,” Pappoe said. “Clemson, I haven’t really been in contact with them. I wouldn’t say they’re out the picture, but we haven’t really been communicating that much.”

Even though Auburn sits behind Georgia, the Tigers’ move has been substantial.

Pappoe has been visiting the Plains regularly since his sophomore season, but until the last few months, Auburn has always been on the outside looking in for him. That included being absent in his top 3.

The move by the Tigers, however, isn’t too surprising given his relationship with Auburn linebackers coach Travis Williams.

“Shoot man, it’s just been hard recruiting. My relationship with coach T-Will is probably the best of any coach I’ve been recruited by since eighth grade. I could see myself coming in here and playing early, too. That’s a really big factor for me,” Pappoe said. “Him and my position coach in high school now, they’re the same people. They always keep it real with you, high-energy guys, run around with you in practice on the field. That’s the kind of coach I want to be coached by.”

If Auburn can make another move for Pappoe — from No. 2 to No. 1 — the clock is ticking.

Pappoe will take a few visits this spring to LSU, Texas (official visit set for April 27), Ohio State and Penn State. He expects to be back at Georgia and Auburn throughout the spring, as well. But Pappoe would like to have a final college decision by May and before his senior season at the latest.

“Just prove to me why they would be the better choice, however it is they do that,” Pappoe said of Auburn’s chances. “They have let me know I’m one of the top guys on the board, that I’m a top priority and they need me here. That has been their message for me.”

Yes!!!!!! Please!!!! This would be astronomical!

20 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Yes!!!!!! Please!!!! This would be astronomical!

I think UGA will break our hearts again in this one

Our LB depth chart vs UGA’s Depth chart after this season look very different. He would have the opportunity to come in and play early at Auburn 

1 hour ago, AUinGA44 said:

Our LB depth chart vs UGA’s Depth chart after this season look very different. He would have the opportunity to come in and play early at Auburn 

As we've seen many times, our depth chart really plays no factor in the 4 and 5 star's decisions.  They think they can come in anywhere and get playing time.

3 hours ago, thaitopher said:

I refuse to accept this.

War Eagle

Orange and Blue

Kirby has the first name of a pink soulless video game character.

4 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Party pooper!!!

4 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

Yep, exactly what he harped on plus the relationship with none other than T-Weezy (T-WILL). 

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

If we landed him, he would come in and start day 1. Which is what is attractive to him.

He would come in and be given a chance to earn the starters position. Nobody coming out of HS is a lock to start day 1 at a major program like Auburn.

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

He would come in and be given a chance to earn the starters position. Nobody coming out of HS is a lock to start day 1 at a major program like Auburn.

Well we lose our whole LB core after this season. The competition will be wide open. Not to mention Travis Williams showed him the depth chart and probably told him he’d have the opportunity to start day one. 

17 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Well we lose our whole LB core after this season. The competition will be wide open. Not to mention Travis Williams showed him the depth chart and probably told him he’d have the opportunity to start day one. 

Moultry, Wooten and Britt will be back as juniors and Richard McBryde as a senior. We signed four this time that should be sophomores in '19. He'd have to be one helluva recruit to start from day one. Former 5* LB Tre Williams didn't start as a true freshman and the field ahead of him was weak compared to what will be in front of anybody that signs in the class of '19.

Don't mis-understand, I hope we land this guy and other quality LB recruits but whoever comes here will have to fight for playing time against older, more experienced and highly talented linebackers.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Moultry, Wooten and Britt will be back as juniors and Richard McBryde as a senior. We signed four this time that should be sophomores in '19. He'd have to be one helluva recruit to start from day one. Former 5* LB Tre Williams didn't start as a true freshman and the field ahead of him was weak compared to what will be in front of anybody that signs in the class of '19.

Don't mis-understand, I hope we land this guy and other quality LB recruits but whoever comes here will have to fight for playing time against older, more experienced and highly talented linebackers.

Moultry is a DL now. He’d be fighting playing time against Wooten, Britt, and Mcbryde. He’s the 7th overall prospect currently. I agree it would be hard for him to come right in and start by I think he’s more talented than Tre Williams was a freshman. Just my opinion though. 

On 3/4/2018 at 9:59 PM, WFE12 said:

They even got T-WILL doing the pose now.

That's a genuine smile ladies and gentlemen!

I say he's ours.

8 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I read that Owen liked his visit to Auburn and liked talking to Malzahn.

Did your one man method acting play mimicking the man from the commercial captain obvious win a oscar last night? O who am I kidding it is not like you will respond to this anyways.........

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Did your one man method acting play mimicking the man from the commercial captain obvious win a oscar last night? O who am I kidding it is not like you will respond to this anyways.........

tenor (14).gif

Archived