2019 5* LB Owen Pappoe commits to AU!!!

WFE12

major wow on this pickup. Welcome to the AU family Mr. Pappoe!! So happy i'll get to see you in orange and blue!!

We now have a leader for both offense and Defense recruiting way early. This recruiting class could be one for the ages gents. Can't wait to see who all we pull in!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Jeff Sentell on DawgNation

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/owen-pappoe-auburn-over-georgia-choice-reason-recruiting

Here are some highlights

“It was just somewhere that I know my family would be happy that I was there,” Pappoe said. “I’m going to be happy myself, too and I’m really comfortable with the coaches over there. I’m cool with a lot of the players.”

I just look at Auburn and see that they would have a whole bunch of seniors leaving. My opportunity there would be better than it would be at Georgia.

Was there anything the Bulldogs could have done?

“They were fine,” Pappoe said. “Georgia didn’t do anything wrong.”

Pretty boring read essentially saying that playing time and the family atmosphere made the difference. Reconfirms that this has been the plan for a minute now. Echoes what we already heard about him starting his recruiting trail. Lots of fun coming up in this recruiting class.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Understood but this is a celebration so let the kids have their fun.

IMG_1154.GIF

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

If they step one foot in my yard I'll hit them with my cane!

IMG_1155.GIF

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

Um, don't leave me out. 

I'm like VP of the Joey G fan club! 

But he's my man crush!!!

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Dave Edwards. " He started in 1963, when Chuck Howley was moved from strongside linebacker to weakside linebacker, because Edwards had more upper-body strength for the position. During an era of ironman football and combined with legends Chuck Howley and Lee Roy Jordan, they formed one of the most fearsome corps of linebackers in NFL history as part of the 'Doomsday Defense'. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Edwards_(linebacker)

Dave Edwards

http://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/local/abbeville-native-and-former-nfl-great-dave-edwards-dies/article_b4c765ce-bc0f-11e6-8a36-cb1b7ecb036e.html

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't mind the first, oh say, 20 or 30 gifs per thread. After that they get to be similar to dog poop, just something to be stepped over without giving it further attention. :)

4653FB75-DA2A-4F55-9B96-86A1DB3EFCF1.gif

"I am going to start recruiting immediately. My class will have the No. 1 recruiting class in 2019. I have some secrets that I can't let out yet. You will see. We will have the No. 1 class. I am ready to get my work."

Still can't believe it....It's gonna take a while to register. The video is posted again just in case y'all wanted to smile ear to ear again like me.

How Auburn quickly — and quietly — landed 5-star LB Owen Pappoe over Georgia

image.png

Owen Pappoe committed to Auburn over Georgia on Tuesday.
Chris Kirschner/SEC Country

ATLANTA — It’s hard for a prospect of 5-star linebacker Owen Pappoe‘s status to keep a low profile.

After he made his college decision Tuesday, “Auburn” and “Owen Pappoe” were two of the top-5 trending Twitter topics in the Atlanta area. Since the eighth grade, he’s been one of the Class of 2019 alphas mentioned non-stop on the recruiting circuit. He accepted interview requests regularly for the last four years.

In theory, it should’ve been close to impossible for anyone to not know where Pappoe would commit. Yet he managed to keep his Auburn interest much quieter than even he could’ve expected.

RELATED: Owen Pappoe says he’s going after this recruit to join him

“I’ll be honest, I was just trying to throw everybody off. Auburn’s been around for a long time. This is the only school I did a good job keeping them low key,” Pappoe told SEC Country. “They were one of those first schools that offered me, and ever since then, they put the full-court press on me. They just picked the heat up a lot back last July.”

Pappoe and Auburn linebacker coach Travis Williams have had a strong relationship for a long time.

Auburn has been a school involved since the eighth grade. Owen said Tuesday night the Tigers were one of the three or four schools that recruited him consistently from start to finish. Georgia was also a part of that group.

Pappoe admits he even had reservations about Auburn at times. There were a few heart-changing moments for Pappoe, however.

Moments 1A and 1B? The Auburn-Georgia and Auburn-Alabama games to end the 2017 season.

Pappoe soaked in both of those games. He’d always been interested in Auburn, but the Tigers had never caught his attention like that. Pappoe knew then he needed to spend as much time as possible on the Plains in the weeks that followed.

“Yeah, it was right around then. Obviously earlier this year, they really came onto the scene. I wanted to keep them on the low because I really wanted to surprise everybody,” Pappoe said. “It was really around then I decided I was going to take a bunch more visits to Auburn. I thought maybe I was a little more interested in them than I thought. And it turned out, I really was. That’s when I pulled the trigger.”

By the time Pappoe committed, there was enough Internet chatter on either side, so any choice he made would’ve been “expected” in some regard. In typical Pappoe fashion, he still managed to share an eyebrow-raising surprise following his announcement.

Pappoe silently committed to linebackers coach Travis Williams early this spring.

“I’ve been committed for about three months now. I knew,” Pappoe said. “I knew if I felt the same way that I did three months ago, then this was the place for me.”

Still, for some, it’s hard to reason how a top prospect out of Georgia could choose Auburn over a program that dominated its in-state borders last recruiting cycle.

There were a few factors that went into that.

His relationship with Williams must be mentioned first. Pappoe talked on the phone with Williams shortly before talking to SEC Country, and in typical Williams fashion, there was seemingly never-ending hooting and hollering. That’s the type of energy that led Pappoe to Auburn in the first place.

There’s also the depth-chart availability. Pappoe didn’t label it as a big factor because he knows he’ll have to compete wherever he goes. But when he looked at Auburn compared to Georgia, yes, he saw an earlier opportunity to see the field because of the three senior linebackers leaving.

Ultimately, however, Pappoe and his parents reached this decision as a “family decision.” Pappoe’s No. 1 factor was seeing his parents comfortable with his destination.

“For me, I’m really close to my family. This became a family decision. Like I said 100 times, my family, they’re really, really comfortable over there. Every time we go, they always make us feel like we’re at home. They let us know we’re wanted over there,” Pappoe said. “It’s a gut feeling. If I picked Georgia, I couldn’t go wrong if I went there today. I just felt like Auburn was the place for me and my family.”

7 hours ago, gctiger said:

This one is already paying huge dividends.  He’s actively recruiting and the bammurs and the dawgs are in a state of meltdown.   

The Dawgs have their tails tucked over this one, I didn't know Bama was gunning for him......cool if their melting too.

@Mikey Well ya got your no.1 guy.....Who do you want next? I really want Donte Starks and Derrick Hall.

6 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

@Mikey Well ya got your no.1 guy.....Who do you want next? I really want Donte Starks and Derrick Hall.

Derick Hall is a Buck target. Might as well consider him a D Lineman.

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Not Mikey and not gonna happen, but this guy is a stud that I wish we could land.

David Gbenda

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Derick Hall is a Buck target. Might as well consider him a D Lineman.

What about Donte? You think his relationship with T-WILL will get us him like OP? Seems to be just as good.

56 minutes ago, fredst said:

Man, I love me some TWill

THE ABSOLUTE BEST! I may even like him more than you mr fred! lol.

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

good stuff right there

Great to see those kids in the video!

19 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Great to see those kids in the video!

Yes indeed,. And even just looking at the still shot before playing the vid,. Malzahn with a big smile...  Love to see him love recruiting.  

6 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I'll be happy with which ever two or three Steele decides he wants. The most important thing here is don't puff our chest out and stop looking for LB's. One or two in this class won't be enough to maintain.

Archived