2019 5* LB Owen Pappoe commits to AU!!!

WFE12

@ellitor, you're right about Hall's position, but he's a guy with the versatility to actually drop into coverage. I think we might see more versatility in deploying our Buck LB/DE this year. Both Moultry and Bryant look more fluid in space than Lawson and Holland were at this stage. Derrick Hall is a MAJOR want on my list. The consensus of every coach in Mississippi is, he's significantly underrated by the services. If I could pick any edge player on our board, he'd be my guy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, did anyone notice in the SEC Country video of his commitment, before OP announced it said he was a 5*, and then after he announced it said he was a 4*?  Who probably did that was the UGA reporter that was bugging the crap out of OP at the end of the video.  That dude was trying to hard to make UGA come out on top.  

dawg fans blaming the coach for Owen choosing Auburn?

34 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Wait, did anyone notice in the SEC Country video of his commitment, before OP announced it said he was a 5*, and then after he announced it said he was a 4*?  Who probably did that was the UGA reporter that was bugging the crap out of OP at the end of the video.  That dude was trying to hard to make UGA come out on top.  

I think rivals has him As a 4 star.

13 minutes ago, CAS15 said:

Oh dear. They think dude/Grayson is steering all their guys away from them.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/georgia-football-recruiting-grayson-high-school-kenyatta-watson-sr-steer-players-away-athens

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting piece....thanks.   Seems like the best recruiting is being done by Grayson HS if those projections about future Power 5 players are correct.  Seems more than coincidental that so many kids end up at the same HS....

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Georgia fans are still melting over Owen. This is great. 

And one of their main reasons they're saying he'll flip is his schools proximity to Athens.  I found it interesting in the article posted above that out of those 4 kids from Grayson that committed the other night, none of them were born in Georgia.

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

And one of their main reasons they're saying he'll flip is his schools proximity to Athens.  I found it interesting in the article posted above that out of those 4 kids from Grayson that committed the other night, none of them were born in Georgia.

Proximity is just as often a curse as it is a blessing. I didn't want to go to school near my hometown and many other kids don't either. Thus our poor luck with signing kids from Auburn High.

57 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Proximity is just as often a curse as it is a blessing. I didn't want to go to school near my hometown and many other kids don't either. Thus our poor luck with signing kids from Auburn High.

Prime example of what you're talking about right here

https://247sports.com/Player/Mohamoud-Diabate-46039650

Diabate is a 4* OLB 6'4" 220 lbs. sitting in our own backyard and apparently has no interest in us (according to some on this board it's why we're not actively pursuing him). While I understand the logic behind wanting to leave home, it's still a little infuriating. Part of me wishes we would put a big push on the kid personally.

54 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Prime example of what you're talking about right here

https://247sports.com/Player/Mohamoud-Diabate-46039650

Diabate is a 4* OLB 6'4" 220 lbs. sitting in our own backyard and apparently has no interest in us (according to some on this board it's why we're not actively pursuing him). While I understand the logic behind wanting to leave home, it's still a little infuriating. Part of me wishes we would put a big push on the kid personally.

JMO but many college students,  if they have the opportunity leave their immediate home town area will benefit by getting away from their old friends and environment....an opportunity to develop themselves and become adults. 

I can't imagine an AHS student signing up to play football at AU.     There is almost no new experience they can enjoy that they have not already lived with for a number of years.     Distance is probably a factor..."not to close.....and not too far". 

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I can't imagine an AHS student signing up to play football at AU.

Oh I understand it... but man do I want Diabate 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Oh I understand it... but man do I want Diabate 

He looks good but I can see coaches not investing much in recruiting him unless they get a good hint.   We got played by some AHS players and families in the past and no point in chasing down that same road.....but it would be nice..?..

Just now, AU64 said:

He looks good but I can see coaches not investing much in recruiting him unless they get a good hint.   We got played by some AHS players and families in the past and no point in chasing down that same road.....but it would be nice..?..

Damn "Buidne$$ Deci$ion$"

18 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Still very pumped about getting this guy. Though, he should never be a cameraman :puke:

On 5/3/2018 at 8:50 AM, CAS15 said:

I read through some of the replies and RT from Coach K and omg. People are crazy. And then the puppies were saying AU started that rumor. They are a special breed. 

On a sidenote, Owen's twitter page is ALL AU and I love it. 

4 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I read through some of the replies and RT from Coach K and omg. People are crazy. And then the puppies were saying AU started that rumor. They are a special breed. 

On a sidenote, Owen's twitter page is ALL AU and I love it. 

Maybe Nolan Smith II will see the light on how bad their fans are and slide on over with OP...

Ready to roll with face of '19 class on offense (Nix) and face of class on defense (Pappoe).  Couldn't be any better.  WDE!!!!

I see that coaches want to use him at MLB instead of OLB. Can anybody tell me why we would want him there instead of his natural position? I believe that he's that good that he can be elite at either but it seems that he would be better going sideline to sideline at OLB.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

I see that coaches want to use him at MLB instead of OLB. Can anybody tell me why we would want him there instead of his natural position? I believe that he's that good that he can be elite at either but it seems that he would be better going sideline to sideline at OLB.

One reason could be the coaches think his leadership will be critical as the "QB" of the defense, which typically is the middle linebacker who makes those calls.  I imagine he could still do that at OLB. I would like a sideline to sideline guy in the middle of the field to cover a lot of ground, similar to a centerfielder in baseball.  All my opinion of course.  I am no actual coach to say for certain. 

52 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

He is not and edge-rushing OLB (Jack/Buck/Elephant) type, as you say, he is a side-line to side-line guy who can also cover passes. In an historic 4-3 defense, that is the position of the Will linebacker, who was considered an OLB.

What I would say is look at evolution of Rashaan Evans at Bama. Evans was an edge rusher in high school. When we recruited him, because of Evan's size, Ellis Johnson wanted to put him at Star. Evans was in no way big enough to play as an edge rusher or an inside LB. He would have likely eventually moved to the Will LB in Johnson's defense. Bama recruited him to play Sam LB, again because of his size. The Sam in Saban's defense usually drops into a zone coverage on pass plays, supports the run secondarily, and only blitzes the QB in rare occasions. But Evans moved over to the "inside" Will LB position alongside Reuben Foster, and to the Mike position as a senior.

I see Pappoe's potential progression as similar to Evans. Initially at Sam when we are not running a nickel, and as a backup Will, then to starting Will, and likely the Mike in passing downs, and possibly to Mike full-time.

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Because he’s a better version of Roquan Smith coming out of high school 

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

He is not and edge-rushing OLB (Jack/Buck/Elephant) type, as you say, he is a side-line to side-line guy who can also cover passes. In an historic 4-3 defense, that is the position of the Will linebacker, who was considered an OLB.

What I would say is look at evolution of Rashaan Evans at Bama. Evans was an edge rusher in high school. When we recruited him, because of Evan's size, Ellis Johnson wanted to put him at Star. Evans was in no way big enough to play as an edge rusher or an inside LB. He would have likely eventually moved to the Will LB in Johnson's defense. Bama recruited him to play Sam LB, again because of his size. The Sam in Saban's defense usually drops into a zone coverage on pass plays, supports the run secondarily, and only blitzes the QB in rare occasions. But Evans moved over to the "inside" Will LB position alongside Reuben Foster, and to the Mike position as a senior.

I see Pappoe's potential progression as similar to Evans. Initially at Sam when we are not running a nickel, and as a backup Will, then to starting Will, and likely the Mike in passing downs, and possibly to Mike full-time.

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks.

Archived