Saban Riff Raff

Zeek

4 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Agreed.  And I do believe HF coming in for a year or 2 would save CGM "legacy".  Especially if we got lucky (METAPHORICALLY SPEAKING!!!!) and CNS got hit by a bus or something.

I keep hoping he retired once he has one more NC.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I keep hoping he retired once he has one more NC.

Why would he retire? He is at the top of his game and his team has never been more dominant. He looks a decade younger than most people do at his age. It also looks like he is having more fun the last few years than he usually does. Unfortunately we are stuck with that little garden knome in west vance for awhile.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why would he retire? He is at the top of his game and his team has never been more dominant. He looks a decade younger than most people do at his age. It also looks like he is having more fun the last few years than he usually does. Unfortunately we are stuck with that little garden knome in west vance for awhile.

He’s almost 70 with nothing left to prove. I know he won’t but a man can hope!

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

He’s almost 70 with nothing left to prove. I know he won’t but a man can hope!

His (and Miss Terry's) ego will not allow him to retire anytime soon.  He'll be there at least another 5 years.  The only way he leaves sooner is if his health comes into play, but he appears to be in excellent health at this time.

11 hours ago, tinman said:

His (and Miss Terry's) ego will not allow him to retire anytime soon.  He'll be there at least another 5 years.  The only way he leaves sooner is if his health comes into play, but he appears to be in excellent health at this time.

Ego, drive, not knowing how to do anything else, need to cement his legacy as the greatest ever and put it way out of reach, keep striving for actual perfection... I'm with you. Football is as essential to his survival as breathing.

13 hours ago, tinman said:

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Ego, drive, not knowing how to do anything else, need to cement his legacy as the greatest ever and put it way out of reach, keep striving for actual perfection... I'm with you. Football is as essential to his survival as breathing.

Exactly....  And that's why I am (METAPHORICALLY OF COURSE!!!) hoping for a stray bus.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

A bus called the City of Cleveland!

You know the Dolphins failure has to eat at him.  He was in Cleveland with Belichik.  Be nice if he went full circle and finished up there proving he can succeed in the NFL.

I know it ain't happening though.

26 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You know the Dolphins failure has to eat at him.  He was in Cleveland with Belichik.  Be nice if he went full circle and finished up there proving he can succeed in the NFL.

He wasn't that bad in Miami.  15-17 over two years isn't awful.  My understanding was that he left largely because of the lack of control he gets in the NFL vs college.

He's too old (just turned 67) and set in his ways to got back to the pro's.  He doesn't need the $$, he loves working with young guys that he can develop and watch grow into better athletes and then watch them take their skills to the pro's. 

He has unparalleled advantages (REC/SECrefs/favorable scheduling/NCAA/Emmerrtt/t-town Menswear/Dodge dealership/fishing trips) to produce a factory like he has.  But when I see a 3*/boarderline 4* athlete sign with them and become an All American with 1st round draft projections in 3 yrs time, it's those things that NS loves and craves about college level coaching. 

49 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

21 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He wasn't that bad in Miami.  15-17 over two years isn't awful.  My understanding was that he left largely because of the lack of control he gets in the NFL vs college.

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

He's too old (just turned 67) and set in his ways to got back to the pro's.  He doesn't need the $$, he loves working with young guys that he can develop and watch grow into better athletes and then watch them take their skills to the pro's. 

He has unparalleled advantages (REC/SECrefs/favorable scheduling/NCAA/Emmerrtt/t-town Menswear/Dodge dealership/fishing trips) to produce a factory like he has.  But when I see a 3*/boarderline 4* athlete sign with them and become an All American with 1st round draft projections in 3 yrs time, it's those things that NS loves and craves about college level coaching. 

Good conversation.

He might not have stayed in Miami long enough to truly fail, but it certainly seemed to be headed that way. I agree that he's not going to test those waters again, for all the reasons y'all laid out. Gonna keep wishing, though...

2 hours ago, keesler said:

He's had quite a few misses that he "processed" right on out of bammerville over the years. And he allowed a drug dealer to not only remain on the team....but remain as a starter.....anything to win. I guess it depends on what you call "development".....do steroids count?  He only "loves" a  very few select players that he thinks will bring him glory. The rest are left hanging and just trying to survive.

It's not winning, or success if it's not done the right way. It's still cheating. The nickster with his lack of ethics and morals has done more damage to college football than any other entity in NCAA world. It's pretty much ruined forever and you can lay it at his feet, followed by Emmert's collusion and ESPN's 24/7 sabanizing .

I don't give a damn what that little fit-pitching gnome does. He can stay or go.  Auburn can take care of itself regardless of what the nickster does. I haven't watched a single bammer game this season and I won't until the Iron Bowl. bammer will probably beat AU this year with their QB1 who is being given impermissible benefits along with all of the other starters.

The nickster has a paid team of professional athletes and has arranged that they play mainly others who are not really competitive. What does the NFL have to offer him that he doesn't have now?

4 hours ago, keesler said:

must be nice.. the RB they got out of OKlahoma i think was a 3 star. that dude is good yet here we are

9 hours ago, keesler said:

And he can "process out" any of the 4* or 5* guys who don't live up to expectations....and does  not cost him a nickel to buy out the guy's contract.....just find him a scholly to some FCS school and get him a bus ticket to the school.....he's out of Nick's way.    

I thought for a long time he would go back to the NFL to prove himself.  I figured it ate at him that he didn’t really succeed there.  I still think if the right circumstance came along he might do it.  But I don’t think he wants to build a team at this point so it would have to be a team that is ready to contend and just needs a coach. 

On 10/31/2018 at 4:08 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Saban is very goal oriented. Somewhere he has his goals listed. Ideally, I think Saban would like to reach those goals and them move on. I do not seem him as a Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden type who hangs on too long.

Saban bailed quickly on the NFL. He cut his losses and went back to college where he could be more successful. Clearly, Saban did not think he could meet his personal goals he had set for the NFL. That tells me Saban will not linger if he has nothing more to accomplish.

One obvious goal for Saban is to be considered the greatest college coach in history. He will likely never make it into the 400 win club, but could pass Bear Bryant's 323 wins. He has tied Bear Bryant's 6 National Championships, and this year could tie Bryant's 6 NCs at Alabama. Once Saban has his 8th overall, and 7th with Bama, he will have surpassed the Bear in both categories. The only coach who has a chance of threatening Saban's NC count is Urban Meyer, who currently has three titles. So once Saban makes it to 8 NCs, more NCs is not going to keep him coaching.

Then there is the question of leaving something for the Bear. Does Saban stick around 7 or 8 more years to pass Bear's 323, just to make Bear Bryant the undisputed #2 behind Saban? I am not sure that will be appreciated by the fan base.

Regardless, when a head coach of a dominant program passes age 70, their recruiting often suffers because of the reasonable expectation they will retire during the prospect's college career. This is why Mack Brown and Bobby Bowden named Head Coaches in Waiting. But the NCAA recruiting rules has made the HCIW a liability, rather than an asset.

The last thing Saban could do is try to pass Bryant's 6 Bama NCs, then go to another school and win an NC there, making him the only HC to ever win NCs at three schools. I do believe Saban planned to do this back in 2013. I believe he hoped to win the NC at Bama, then go to Texas, but Auburn blew up the NC hope, and Mack Brown refused to go quietly. That may have been Saban's last chance to find a third school, but who knows if Urban Meyer decides to do at Ohio State what he did at Florida, and quit to spend more time with his family.

I do think Saban will retire on his own terms, no later than 2025, but perhaps sooner, and go to a front-office job with an NFL franchise.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:21 PM, keesler said:

Saban is an expert scout (he learned under Belichick), and some of those 3 star athletes that Bama signs are really 4 star athletes where the recruiting services missed something. Others are in positions that never get more than 3 stars, like tight ends, kickers, long snappers, etc. Three stars in those positions are like 4 and 5 stars in other positions. Also Saban does not have many 5 star busts. There are some 5 stars who were the BMOC at their high schools, and are not prepared to work at the level a top Power 5 program.

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

Saban is an expert scout (he learned under Belichick), and some of those 3 star athletes that Bama signs are really 4 star athletes where the recruiting services missed something. Others are in positions that never get more than 3 stars, like tight ends, kickers, long snappers, etc. Three stars in those positions are like 4 and 5 stars in other positions. Also Saban does not have many 5 star busts. There are some 5 stars who were the BMOC at their high schools, and are not prepared to work at the level a top Power 5 program.

That's true for every football program.

That little gnome does not have some secret formula or special power. He pays to have the best college athletes play at bammer. What he has is money and complete invincibility with the NCAA. It's a disservice to the rest of college football to keep acting as if the nickster does it all by himself with his great skills. The nickster has no special powers other than the REC which no other team is allowed to have.

It's amazing how money motivates teenagers/18-21 yr olds to run routes, make tackles, block defenders, catch balls, have great field vision, run between the tackles, learn the playbook and do their job on the field.  And how even more huge bags of cash can get them to do it at an elite level every single week regardless of the opponent, in the home stadium or away - in marque match-ups or cupcakes. Then do it over and over and over with every crop of players that comes through the program for over a decade.  Yet the same money somehow has zero effect on a kicker?  WTH do kickers not get motivated by cold hard cash?

57 minutes ago, keesler said:

It's amazing how money motivates teenagers/18-21 yr olds to run routes, make tackles, block defenders, catch balls, have great field vision, run between the tackles, learn the playbook and do their job on the field.  And how even more huge bags of cash can get them to do it at an elite level every single week regardless of the opponent, in the home stadium or away - in marque match-ups or cupcakes. Then do it over and over and over with every crop of players that comes through the program for over a decade.  Yet the same money somehow has zero effect on a kicker?  WTH do kickers not get motivated by cold hard cash?

Because most kickers already come from money. Majority have them played soccer, which is one of the more expensive sports in the country to play nowadays.

Good to know!  So money obviously doesn't motivate the kicker position in some programs.

On another note, I love how some 18-21 yr old talented players with an IQ hovering around 75-80 are so motivated by money that they somehow become intellectually smarter with "football" knowledge than athletes in other programs.  Money somehow has a way of driving them to play at an intellectually superior level above dang near every opponent they face.  It's crazy how that happens.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

It's amazing how some posters don't comprehend what they read.....

Talent includes intelligence and an ability to understand the game. Just being physically gifted is not enough, and most people get that.....

And most of these truly gifted kids have been coached their entire lives to go after the NFL dream. They are motivated on their own to help their families.....which is WHAT MAKES THEM TOP TALENT. They want the big money and fame, and all that entails. Lazy kids don't start for any top college team as a general rule. That's not some special little bammer trick. That's in the make-up of a young man's personality.  It takes hard work and self-motivation to play sports at an elite level in college and in pro sports. bammer gets first pick of that kind of player because they give the players and their families immediate financial relief, not just the promise of the NFL later on. They have an entire machine built for players and their families that would get other programs the death penalty. 

I had no idea that what constitutes "top talent" needed to be spelled out to such an expert.

44 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

It's amazing how some posters don't comprehend what they read.....

Talent includes intelligence and an ability to understand the game. Just being physically gifted is not enough, and most people get that.....

And most of these truly gifted kids have been coached their entire lives to go after the NFL dream. They are motivated on their own to help their families.....which is WHAT MAKES THEM TOP TALENT. They want the big money and fame, and all that entails. Lazy kids don't start for any top college team as a general rule. That's not some special little bammer trick. That's in the make-up of a young man's personality.  It takes hard work and self-motivation to play sports at an elite level in college and in pro sports. bammer gets first pick of that kind of player because they give the players and their families immediate financial relief, not just the promise of the NFL later on. They have an entire machine built for players and their families that would get other programs the death penalty. 

I had no idea that what constitutes "top talent" needed to be spelled out to such an expert.

So you think Gus would have the same record as saban with the same players? 136-20 (141 without the vacated wins) and 5 national championships in 11 years? 10 bowl wins?

I guess our guys aren't as talented- physically gifted, intelligent, able to understand the game, hard-working, self-motivated- as Mississippi State's or Tennessee's?

Honest questions. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

So you think Gus would have the same record as saban with the same players? 136-20 (141 without the vacated wins) and 5 national championships in 11 years? 10 bowl wins?

I guess our guys aren't as talented- physically gifted, intelligent, able to understand the game, hard-working, self-motivated- as Mississippi State's or Tennessee's?

Honest questions. 

You need to include all coaches in your question. Pete Carroll pretty much had the same thing going on at USC until his cheating was exposed, his school penalized and he took off for the NFL And he is no more and no less successful that many other coaches with equal talent and advantages in the NFL. The nickster can't even say that much about his failed NFL attempt.

Archived