Saban Riff Raff

Zeek

54 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

several stories have been published but they are ignored.. ( The guy paying players for autographs, the DJ fluker story, Ha Ha Clinton Dix taking money from a coach and it goes on and on.. the difference is ... it is overlooked and swept under the rug. 

This isn’t exactly true, Alabama did an internal investigation and no wrong doings were found.  In regards to the autograph thing, Alabama wrote a sternly worded letter to the store owner.  :drippingsarcasm7pa:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This isn’t exactly true, Alabama did an internal investigation and no wrong doings were found.  In regards to the autograph thing, Alabama wrote a sternly worded letter to the store owner.  :drippingsarcasm7pa:

yeah, I forgot about that. Nothing to see here.. move along please. 

2 hours ago, AuMarine said:

several stories have been published but they are ignored.. ( The guy paying players for autographs, the DJ fluker story, Ha Ha Clinton Dix taking money from a coach and it goes on and on.. the difference is ... it is overlooked and swept under the rug. 

It's exposed and then "taken care of" >>>>> mob style.  No one wants to to the mattresses with that machine.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:40 AM, McLoofus said:

Afraid I don't follow.

Switzer at OU had a huge payout system for players and recruiting and the NCAA got them. Most of the criminal activity was overlooked, well until they ran into the FBI, you had cars coming out of Yukon and the Big Red dealership. His teams out-talented the majority of teams they played.

Lol, there was a 3 year period where they only lost 3 games and all 3 were to Miami. Who had the exact same, maybe even better, set up. They also got snagged by the NCAA for those years.

Then when Switzer won a Superbowl for Dallas, he was a figurehead. You or I could of won with that team and like I said I've heard more than once that players like Aikmen told him to stay out of the way. Many blame his actions for Dallas losing to San Fran in the playoffs in 94.

Now would Gus be as successful as Saban at Alabama. Who knows (probably not), but he would definitely be in better shape than Auburn. The lines that Alabama has, Gus's offense would do very well. Mean look at Trent Richardson, that guy made a living of just putting his hand on a linemen hip and following him. Then when he got the NFL couldn't find a hole to save his life.

Saban's a great coach for sure. The type of talent he has across the board will cover alot of things up though also.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, keesler said:

That bold section is what sets him apart.  He completely re-tooled his staff for this season - new Coordinators on both sides, new position coaches in nearly every area.  None of the coaches he hired were considered "splash" hires, in fact some coaches were completely out of left field that no one would've considered.

YES, they break the rules, flat out pay players, provide impermissible benefits via the REC and shady boosters; everyone knows it.  They have politicians and judges in their back pocket and on the payroll - it's la cosa nostra, it's their thing.

But when it's time to get to work, focus on the task at hand/the ultimate goal >>> consistently put a fundamentally sound and prepared product on the field, produce staffers and players that will DO THEIR JOB no one in the college coaching profession today compares to the process the man has put in place to consistently reach the standards he has set. 

I completely agree with you Keesler. But I would like to see him take the HC job at Kansas or a similar place to REALLY find out if he is that good. I would just like to know if he could do at Kansas what he did at Mich. St., LSU, and Bammer.

He's got a lot of help at West Vance(REC). Had help at LSU too.Don't think he would have that kind of help out there in Kansas.

22 minutes ago, cctiger said:

I completely agree with you Keesler. But I would like to see him take the HC job at Kansas or a similar place to REALLY find out if he is that good. I would just like to know if he could do at Kansas what he did at Mich. St., LSU, and Bammer.

Of course he couldn't. He couldn't do at MSU what he did at LSU. And he couldn't do at LSU what he's done at bama. But what he's done at each place has been way more than what the previous guys could do there. And he would do way better at Kansas than the previous guys have. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Of course he couldn't. He couldn't do at MSU what he did at LSU. And he couldn't do at LSU what he's done at bama. But what he's done at each place has been way more than what the previous guys could do there. And he would do way better at Kansas than the previous guys have. 

He wouldn't go to Kansas.  He'd have to share god-dom with the BBall coach.

29 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

He wouldn't go to Kansas.  He'd have to share god-dom with the BBall coach.

Hahaha, yeah, he definitely wouldn't go to Kansas at this stage of his career. He would have back in the day, though, and he would have made them better. And then would have gone to a better job. 

On 11/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, McLoofus said:

I don't believe you. I think Saban should go to Kansas and prove you're correct.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:55 PM, oracle79 said:

7 billion people on the planet and what, maybe 25 have won a Super Bowl?  Nah, not special.  Bout the same as walking on the moon.

Edit: I was wrong.  31 have won super bowl and only 12 walked on the moon.

It's amazing how people take things out of context to try and make a point. Nobody but you is talking about the entire population of the whole world.....most of those populations don't even have football in their culture. Or space programs either even if that has absolutely nothing to do with cheating to win in football.You are making very stupid arguments.

Context is crucial....

The point was.....if a coach is such an absolute,special genius then on an even playing field he should still be able to coach his team to a championship significantly more often than all other coaches. Has that happened? No it hasn't. Pete Carroll cheated during his time at USC and that fact isn't under dispute. That's why he was so successful. Saban has done the exact same thing. More than being uniquely genius coaches....they were just really good at using the advantages that no one else is allowed in college football. In the NFL there are mostly all gifted coaches and everyone has great talent to work with. He hasn't and he won't have a stretch of dominance there year after year. 

On 10/31/2018 at 4:20 PM, Zeek said:

He’s almost 70 with nothing left to prove. I know he won’t but a man can hope!

I hear 70 is the new 60.  (At least that's what I am hoping after my knee replacements. ;D)

9 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I think he will retire as soon as he passes Bear Bryant with most championships.

Fortunately for bammer, the number of past championships is a moving target.  This time next year they'll have 4 more so he'll have to coach forever.

Saban does what every successful CEO has done for eternity. He surrounds himself with the best. Saban runs that team like it is his own NFL franchise. He is the coach, GM and owner. He does what every successful Nascar team does, he finds and uses the grey areas of the rule book to his advantage. He does one thing particularly well, he is not afraid to change his system. He loves winning toooo much. Why do you think he hires all these fired coaches to be "analyst." He uses them for their knowledge.

Do they cheat? Probably. Until it is proven, it is all hearsay.  You will never be able to prove he was behind anything. It will be put on some analyst as a fall guy. Good luck trying to find dirt on him.

I think he’s going to blow a gasket one day over something minor.  Any time a guy does something that is not perfect in his eyes he goes off.  It doesn’t matter if it’s 50 - 0 he is still going off on his players over the least little thing.  Sooner or later that catches up with you.  

1 hour ago, AUFan21 said:

Do they cheat? Probably. Until it is proven, it is all hearsay.  You will never be able to prove he was behind anything.

Here's the "tin-foil hat" position.

His success at bammer is so beyond the scope of anything that anybody (including bahr) has ever done then he's either cheating......or is an alien being from the planet Football Geniuses Sector 1.

15 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

His success at bammer is so beyond the scope of anything that anybody (including bahr) has ever done then he's either cheating......or is an alien being from the planet Football Geniuses Sector 1.

You have a better chance proving he is an alien than he is cheating.

1 minute ago, AUFan21 said:

You have a better chance proving he is an alien than he is cheating.

Then it's settled.  He has antennas in his head...

On 11/8/2018 at 5:39 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

Then when Switzer won a Superbowl for Dallas, he was a figurehead.

Yep....Switzer contributed to that Super Bowl like Butch Jones now contributes to Team Saban....coffee boy

Here is the problem with the "Saban pays all of his players" theory:

It means Saban has paid about 300 scholarship athletes since he came to Bama.

It means 300 18-23 year olds have kept a secret, including those who left the Capstone years ago, even when D.J. Fluker and others go public. It requires a mafia level code of silence. In 12 years there have been no tell-all books. There has been no unraveling. No recordings (even with everyone having a smart phone now).

Yes, top players get nice cars and rims from Hot Wheelz in Mobile (apparently that is the closest rim shop to Tuscaloosa. There are none in Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, or Montgomery). But not everyone gets one, and yet there are no disgruntled athletes who didn't rate a car spilling the beans. If the story is the player "got a loan", that could still be an impermissible benefit. If it was a legal loan, then wouldn't any player be able to get a similar loan?

I am not saying there is no cash changing hands or impermissible benefits. I am saying it is going to a few select players, it is less about cash, and it is covered up well.

Bear Bryant knew the best, and hardest to trace benefit was one paid directly to the prospective player's parent(s). One day a new car would appear in the parent's driveway.

23 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree Saban has "broken the code" that no other coach since the Division 1A scholarship limits has been able to break.

Every other dynasty before Saban has fizzled because kids do not want to go to a dynasty and ride the pine if they can go to an upstart and start as a freshman. That is how we got Bo Jackson. Back then, few games were televised, so players needed to maximize their exposure over several years.

What Saban has changed is making early playing time no longer the differentiator. He can bring a kid in, have them ride the pine their first season, play special teams and mop-up duty their second season, start and be an all-American their third season, and leave for a first round NFL draft selection despite only starting one season.

With Saban, the NFL scouts come to your practices. With Saban, almost every game is televised nationally. With Saban, every sportswriter and every NFL scout is watching the game. With Saban, the NFL scouts know they have the most vetted set of players outside of the NFL.

No other coach has been able to pull this off. No other program is an NFL player factory.

6 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I agree Saban has "broken the code" that no other coach since the Division 1A scholarship limits has been able to break.

Every other dynasty before Saban has fizzled because kids do not want to go to a dynasty and ride the pine if they can go to an upstart and start as a freshman. That is how we got Bo Jackson. Back then, few games were televised, so players needed to maximize their exposure over several years.

What Saban has changed is making early playing time no longer the differentiator. He can bring a kid in, have them ride the pine their first season, play special teams and mop-up duty their second season, start and be an all-American their third season, and leave for a first round NFL draft selection despite only starting one season.

With Saban, the NFL scouts come to your practices. With Saban, almost every game is televised nationally. With Saban, every sportswriter and every NFL scout is watching the game. With Saban, the NFL scouts know they have the most vetted set of players outside of the NFL.

No other coach has been able to pull this off. No other program is an NFL player factory.

Yep Einstein, Davinci & Lombardi DNA were mixed in a petri dish and Saban is the result.  I get it.

It doesn't hurt that bammer QB's are as big as other teams' linebackers and their RB's are as big as other teams' Defensive Linemen.  There's more to the info under my tin-foil hat than just paying players.  Such as former D1 HC "analysts" seemingly coaching on the sidelines (see Butch Jones) and entire families getting all expense paid travel and lodging from halfway accross the world to be with their sons, etc.

Again, I get it.  Saban truly is an honest to goodness unicorn.  Every coach in America is welcome to flaunt the rules in the NCAA's face like he does but they're too stupid to do it.  Their loss, his gain.

Everyone, even Auburn people, are welcome to worship at the alter of Saban....by all means.   You're welcome to your opinion and God (real God, not Saban) bless you.  My tin-foil hat will remain until he's gone.  I'm weird.... that's okay 😊.

Saban is the greatest of all time, and this Auburn alum doesn't mind admitting it. I don't even think he's cheating any more than the rest of the major programs. Cheating requires breaking a rule, he's smart enough to stay a step ahead of the rule book and then use his influence to change it if he's getting close. He grabs life by the horns, and makes it work for him. He's a relentless recruiter and a perfectionist when it comes to defensive X's and O's. When offensive football began to change in the last 5-10 years, he didn't burry his head in the sand, he adapted. 

The only thing I cant argue is that he has the SEC officials in his back pocket. All the holding no-calls really grind my gears. 

11 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Saban is the greatest of all time, and this Auburn alum doesn't mind admitting it. I don't even think he's cheating any more than the rest of the major programs. Cheating requires breaking a rule, he's smart enough to stay a step ahead of the rule book and then use his influence to change it if he's getting close. He grabs life by the horns, and makes it work for him. He's a relentless recruiter and a perfectionist when it comes to defensive X's and O's. When offensive football began to change in the last 5-10 years, he didn't burry his head in the sand, he adapted. 

The only thing I cant argue is that he has the SEC officials in his back pocket. All the holding no-calls really grind my gears. 

I really liked your post except for the last line. It wouldn't be hard to guess what color glasses you are looking through. I am a Bama fan and I do see holding calls that Bama isn't flagged for but I also see holding calls on every other team I watch that doesn't get flagged. My glasses are clear. See the difference?

Archived