Brown Liquor Time

fredst

Having just seen and joined the club it may be totally uncool to start a topic but... what the hell? We have finally had some autumnal weather in my neck of the woods (North Alabama) which turns our attention to what is always running through our minds: bourbon and/or single malt whisky (Scotch). Would love to hear any-/everybody’s choice for their go-to as well as favorite/special occasion spirit of choice and why that’s their choice. As the newbie, I will sit back and wait for the answers. Cheers 🍻!

Edited by fredst
  • Thanks 1

Dude, I legit said "Nice" out loud when I saw you joined. Welcome. Pour yourself a drink and pull up a chair. I'll think you'll find this a welcome respite from... out there.

Bourbon:

Go-to- Has been Old Granddad Bonded lately. Began re-acquainting myself with the Old Forester 100 Proof last night. Very tasty.

Special occasion- OF Birthday Bourbon and Weller 12 are probably my 2 favorite bourbons. Which means I don't often drink my favorite bourbons, lol.
Honorable mention- Sazerac Rye is sort of in between those 2 extremes. My local spot in Savannah gets a huge alotment in the fall, so I stock up this time of year. It's not a "premium" spirit, but it's somewhat limited and freaking delicious, so that makes it something of a special occasion drinker for me. 

Scotch:

Islay all day. (I know that doesn't actually rhyme when pronounced properly, but it's fun to type.) I was gifted a bottle of Laphroaig Triple Wood that I will be opening to celebrate the arrival of #2 in a few weeks. (Along with a Westy 8 and 12.) But seriously, any Islay scotch will do. I'd kill a man for just about any Lagavulin, but I'm also just fine with the Islay blends that are available for cheap. Give me the peat. 

• Like 1

Excellent. The OFBB is awesome (most years) but nigh impossible to get so I’ve missed it the last 2 years. As I’ve probably said before the EH Taylor Single Barrel is probably my favorite bourbon that is “gettable”. The George T Stagg that I have is probably the best bourbon I’ve ever tasted including all things Pappy. Daily drinkers change but the 10 year McKenna, Buffalo Trace, prohibition-style Old Forrester, and Booker’s are some that I frequent (I like high proof stuff the older that I get). 

For single malt I love Islay as well with Ardbeg Ugeidal my fave when the weather turns cold. Bowmore Darkest is quite good also. McCallan 12 or DoubleWood Balvenie are quite tasty Highland varieties in my book.

Thanks for letting me in the club!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

1792 one weekend. Knob Creek the next. About halfway through both bottles.

I'll pass on the Scotch. Thanks though.

Get you a bottle of Knob Creek barrel proof rye if you see it. Should run $60ish, but it’s the best Knob Creek product I’ve ever had. And I’m not a KC fan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Excellent. The OFBB is awesome (most years) but nigh impossible to get so I’ve missed it the last 2 years. As I’ve probably said before the EH Taylor Single Barrel is probably my favorite bourbon that is “gettable”. The George T Stagg that I have is probably the best bourbon I’ve ever tasted including all things Pappy. Daily drinkers change but the 10 year McKenna, Buffalo Trace, prohibition-style Old Forrester, and Booker’s are some that I frequent (I like high proof stuff the older that I get). 

For single malt I love Islay as well with Ardbeg Ugeidal my fave when the weather turns cold. Bowmore Darkest is quite good also. McCallan 12 or DoubleWood Balvenie are quite tasty Highland varieties in my book.

Thanks for letting me in the club!

I too have been reaching for the 100+ proof bottles more often than not. I really don’t want to **** with anything lower. I like to be able to know that I’m actually drinking whiskey. A little burn is good imo. 

High proof bourbon that caught me by surprise: Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. Freaking phenomenal for the price at around $50. 

I’m glad someone started this thread because I can talk bourbon all day just as I can with beer. Went ahead and pinned this topic, not like we have to really search for threads here but whatever.

I don’t buy bourbon or scotch often because my wallet can only support so few hobbies. But I do drink it, and working for a high volume bourbon store, I do get to try things frequently. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

15 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

High proof bourbon that caught me by surprise: Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. Freaking phenomenal for the price at around $50. 

Absolutely this

This WAS one of my favorite bourbons for the price. Smooth Ambler Contradiction 100 proof coming in at about $55. 

However, the new bottles are coming in at 92 proof for $40. I haven’t tried the 92 proof, and I doubt I will unless someone comes through with a sample. 

4MOFOhj.jpg

33 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This WAS one of my favorite bourbons for the price. Smooth Ambler Contradiction 100 proof coming in at about $55. 

However, the new bottles are coming in at 92 proof for $40. I haven’t tried the 92 proof, and I doubt I will unless someone comes through with a sample. 

4MOFOhj.jpg

Nice. Haven’t had the pleasure of that one. I will say, after a pour this week, the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof  is a pretty righteous whiskey- it’s a brute though at 130+ proof and really needs a tiny bit of water to tame it and open it up a bit.

Just now, fredst said:

Nice. Haven’t had the pleasure of that one. I will say, after a pour this week, the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof  is a pretty righteous whiskey- it’s a brute though at 130+ proof and really needs a tiny bit of water to tame it and open it up a bit.

Shoot me a pm and about $50 and I’ll send you back our 1792 Full Proof barrel pick that’ll knock your socks off. 😎

125 proof, drinks like a 100 proof. 

The Contradiction really tickles the back palate with some spice. Some corn, just the right amount. It’s so well balanced, yet complex. Hated to watch our last bottles of 100 proof go to give way to the 92 proof batches. ☹️

11 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Shoot me a pm and about $50 and I’ll send you back our 1792 Full Proof barrel pick that’ll knock your socks off. 😎

125 proof, drinks like a 100 proof. 

I’ve got a bottle of the Barrel proof 1792 somewhere in my collection. It is good. I like all of the 1792 varieties actually.

So I think I’m going to get the Oban 18yr as opposed to the Macallan 15. Anyone have any input?

We don’t really have any bourbons in stock that I want to drop $100 on. All of our BTAC stuff comes later in the month, and then I’ll probably only want the William Larue Weller 18 because it’s probably the best bourbon I’ve ever had, and definitely my favorite Buffalo Trace product. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

On 11/2/2018 at 5:14 PM, fredst said:

prohibition-style Old Forrester

On 11/2/2018 at 6:53 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yup. Probably my favorite new bourbon last year.

17 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

So I think I’m going to get the Oban 18yr as opposed to the Macallan 15. Anyone have any input?

We don’t really have any bourbons in stock that I want to drop $100 on. All of our BTAC stuff comes later in the month, and then I’ll probably only want the William Larue Weller 18 because it’s probably the best bourbon I’ve ever had, and definitely my favorite Buffalo Trace product. 

Please give us a heads up. I know that the trucks arrive on different schedules, especially in different regions, but I'd like to be ready to go hunting. Although I don't know if anywhere around here will get any of the Wellers. And I'm usually not looking for the other BTAC brands. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Haven’t had the Oban 18 but the MacCallan 15 is good as is all MacCallan. Unless I camp out for 2-3 days I can’t get any of the BTAC stuff here😞

59 minutes ago, fredst said:

Haven’t had the Oban 18 but the MacCallan 15 is good as is all MacCallan. Unless I camp out for 2-3 days I can’t get any of the BTAC stuff here😞

You’re really not missing out on much. Weller 12 and all of the Van Winkles are vastly overrated. VW is a great bourbon, but it’s not worth the price tag by any means, especially on secondary markets. 

Weller 107 Antique is better than 12yr imo and at a $30 price tag. 

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

You’re really not missing out on much. Weller 12 and all of the Van Winkles are vastly overrated. VW is a great bourbon, but it’s not worth the price tag by any means, especially on secondary markets. 

Agree about the PVWs. Disagree on the Wellers. But I will not turn down a 107 if I find one. 

And the MSRP on 12 yr is still pretty low, isn't it? I know it's hard to find it at that price, though. 

There are a couple bars in Atlanta that price it reasonably by the glass while they have it. Love you forever, Midway and Wrecking Bar. 

15 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I don’t know, I think the VWs are all excellent; I especially like the 15 at the higher proof point. If I could readily get them at retail price I’d get them every year. But, I agree, they aren’t so good that I’m going to camp out for them. The George T Stagg....I might camp out for it, lol. I used to buy up all the Weller 12 I could get before it got “discovered”. I keep hoping that the bourbon market will cool off; maybe the tariffs China put on it will help us out here in the States.

I have a soft spot for the VW because I was given a pour of the 12 now going on 15-16 years ago, before all of the hype hit.  It was my “eureka” moment for bourbon and led me down this damn rabbit hole, lol

Edited by fredst

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

I don’t know, I think the VWs are all excellent; I especially like the 15 at the higher proof point. If I could readily get them at retail price I’d get them every year. But, I agree, they aren’t so good that I’m going to camp out for them. The George T Stagg....I might camp out for it, lol. I used to buy up all the Weller 12 I could get before it got “discovered”. I keep hoping that the bourbon market will cool off; maybe the tariffs China put on it will help us out here in the States.

I have a soft spot for the VW because I was given a pour of the 12 now going on 15-16 years ago, before all of the hype hit.  It was my “eureka” moment for bourbon and led me down this damn rabbit hole, lol

Oh, Pappy is damned good and worth hype. But not quite the hype that it receives, IMO. 

Interesting point about tariffs!

On 11/2/2018 at 8:51 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

4MOFOhj.jpg

Found a bottle of this and purchased today. Looking forward to trying (I got the 100 proof). Will let you know my thoughts.

• Like 1