Brown Liquor Time

fredst

29 minutes ago, homersapien said:

There's fun experiment in which it's difficult to distinguish between the taste of onion and apple if you hold your nose when nibbling them. Odor constitutes something like 80% of your ability to taste.

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/apple-onion-challenge/

Anyone who enjoys sipping wine with cheese or good bread knows this.

Image result for me me me gif

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Me too!  (Well, except for the "good bread" now.) 😞

Ohhh, that's right. Well, McWifey just swore off carbs because she wants to lose weight, and I need to also, so I'll be eating a lot less bread. If that helps. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:57 PM, homersapien said:

Made a trip to SamsClub and found the following:

Maker's Mark (90 proof) 1.5L -  $43.98   (= $21.99 / 750ml)

Maker's Mark "46" (94 proof) 750ml  -  $33.28

Barton Small Batch "1792" 93.7 proof 705ml - $33.28

Russell's Reserve (Wild Turkey distillery) 90 proof 750 ml - $33.28

I've been sampling all but planning on setting up a blind tasting in the near future.

Any observations on quality and/or value?

All solid money/quality selections. They all drink above their price point except for maybe the basic Maker’s, which is what I typically use for bourbon and coke. 

• Thanks 1

We got in a case(6pk) of Barrell Dovetail 11yr ~122 proof bourbon(sourced Indiana/Tennessee)aged in rum, port, and finished in cab. Really going back and forth if I want to drop $89(less than with employee discount)on it. 

On one hand, my buddy picked up a bottle already so I know I’ll get to try it. On the other, the finishes sound soooo good that I want to get a bottle before we run out—which we will before the weekend is over.

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/barrell-dovetail

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 5:31 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

We got in a case(6pk) of Barrell Dovetail 11yr ~122 proof bourbon(sourced Indiana/Tennessee)aged in rum, port, and finished in cab. Really going back and forth if I want to drop $89(less than with employee discount)on it. 

On one hand, my buddy picked up a bottle already so I know I’ll get to try it. On the other, the finishes sound soooo good that I want to get a bottle before we run out—which we will before the weekend is over.

I saw this on the shelf just a few days ago. I’m definitely interested...

On 5/17/2019 at 6:31 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yeah. 122 proof but finished in those barrels is talking to me big time. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m giving Proper 12 a run. It’s not hydro/exotic or brick pack but right in the middle of the mids range. A good taste for the price. 

On 6/9/2019 at 2:14 PM, aubearcat said:

I’m giving Proper 12 a run. It’s not hydro/exotic or brick pack but right in the middle of the mids range. A good taste for the price. 

Looking at your avatar, you’re just now trying Proper 12?  It’s trash Irish Whiskey, no offense. Buy Slane or Sexton if you want to drink decent Irish on a budget, both should be cheaper or equal to P12. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

We just sampled our store barrel of 1792 barrel proof. Hoo boy it’s gonna be a good one. 

I love our barrel selects. We have about 10 people on staff, most of which have good palates. 

Our most recent Knob Creek 120 staff selection was incredible. 14 year, $40. Smooth, but long finish. 

Weller 107 is gonna go up to about $50-60 this year btw. Formerly ~$35 regular retail.

We decided to do a barrel of the new Weller Barrel Proof(Blue label) instead. Gonna be one of the few stores in the city with it. 

Weller CYPB(White label) still stands as my favorite Weller aside from the William Larue Weller 18 Year. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

On 5/20/2019 at 8:08 AM, McLoofus said:

Yeah. 122 proof but finished in those barrels is talking to me big time. 

It was spectacular. I never did bite the bullet on a bottle, but I had some of my buddy’s and holy s*** is it good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Looking at your avatar, you’re just now trying Proper 12?  It’s trash Irish Whiskey, no offense. Buy Slane or Sexton if you want to drink decent Irish on a budget, both should be cheaper or equal to P12. 

It’s just now arrived in my local liquor store. I thought it was okay. I believe Bushmills is the only other Irish whiskey I’ve had. 

• Like 1

Dettling, it’s supposed to be an Alabama made bourbon. Has anyone had any?

Edit: I know that technically only Kentucky makes bourbon but this booze is labeled as an Alabama bourbon. 

Edited by aubearcat

On 6/17/2019 at 1:32 PM, aubearcat said:

Edit: I know that technically only Kentucky makes bourbon but this booze is labeled as an Alabama bourbon. 

Kentucky is not the only place that makes bourbon 😉. A common misconception. Bourbon can be made in only the contiguous US(sorry Hawaii and Alaska). 

There’s strict guidelines on what can be considered bourbon, but being made exclusively in Kentucky isn’t one of them. A good chunk of the bourbon(especially the newer distilleries) on the shelves is actually made by MGP in Indiana.

Haven’t heard of Dettling, but I bet it’s an MGP product. Clyde May’s is another Alabama bourbon. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Kentucky is not the only place that makes bourbon 😉. A common misconception. Bourbon can be made in only the contiguous US(sorry Hawaii and Alaska). 

There’s strict guidelines on what can be considered bourbon, but being made exclusively in Kentucky isn’t one of them. A good chunk of the bourbon(especially the newer distilleries) on the shelves is actually made by MGP in Indiana.

Haven’t heard of Dettling, but I bet it’s an MGP product. Clyde May’s is another Alabama bourbon. 

Yeah, seeing bourbon from everywhere now. New York and Colorado have been pumping them out for years. I've heard some of them are damned good, too. 

Do you have a read on Stranahan's?

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, seeing bourbon from everywhere now. New York and Colorado have been pumping them out for years. I've heard some of them are damned good, too. 

Do you have a read on Stranahan's?

Stranahans yellow label is decent.

However, the Sherry Cask and Diamond Peak are very good. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 1:32 PM, aubearcat said:

Yes, someone gave me a bottle for Christmas. It’s distilled in Atmore, not sourced/bottled like a lot of whiskeys. I thinks it’s pretty good; I’ll have to give it another sip to give you a comparison whiskey. Not sure what it is retailing for🤔....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Purchased the Blood Oath Pact#5 yesterday; finished in rum casks but I wanted more of that in the flavor than is there. Its pretty good but not as good as some of the others (#4). Not sure it was worth the price but hard not to buy when you’ve gotten the others. I would recommend solidly but for the price

Edited by fredst

30 minutes ago, fredst said:

Purchased the Blood Oath Pact#5 yesterday; finished in rum casks but I wanted more of that in the flavor than is there. Its pretty good but not as good as some of the others (#4). Not sure it was worth the price but hard not to buy when you’ve gotten the others. I would recommend solidly but for the price

Saw that for sale for $350 at a Binny’s outside Chicago. It can’t be worth that. 

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Saw that for sale for $350 at a Binny’s outside Chicago. It can’t be worth that. 

It’s not, lol. I paid $125 but that was too much, IMO. It’s one of those that has created buzz to cause the market to pay ridiculous prices. Just like all the Pappys: good whiskeys but no way they are worth the money people pay for them except as status symbols. George T Stagg the only whiskey that makes me really contemplate shelling out big bucks for it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Wrecking Bar while in the A this past weekend. Used to be when they had Weller 12 in- like, just a couple years ago- they'd charge $10 a glass. Now they charge $10 an ounce. The bourbon game is rigged. 

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn’t fit the normal parameters of this thread...but damn it all, this is delicious 

XRO8ezg.jpg

Natural peanuts/peanut butter and cane sugar. It’s the best flavored whiskey I’ve ever had. Doesn’t give you that nasty, sticky coating on your tongue like the rest. I despise flavored whiskies btw. Buy this bottle if you like peanut butter. ~$25. 

Lots of versatility when it comes to mixing cocktails too. Make some bomb shots with it as well. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This doesn’t fit the normal parameters of this thread...but damn it all, this is delicious 

XRO8ezg.jpg

Natural peanuts/peanut butter and cane sugar. It’s the best flavored whiskey I’ve ever had. Doesn’t give you that nasty, sticky coating on your tongue like the rest. I despise flavored whiskies btw. Buy this bottle if you like peanut butter. ~$25. 

Lots of versatility when it comes to mixing cocktails too. Make some bomb shots with it as well. 

Definitely something I'm going to let my buddy try first. So thanks, buddy!

But yeah, I'm immediately wondering what kinds of concoctions I can make with it.