Brown Liquor Time

fredst

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure if I mentioned, but I was at our local whiskey bar/intimate singer-songwriter music room the other night (Angie Aparo + Kevn Kinney- actually a damned good show!) and they had Weller 12... for $25 an *ounce*. Granted, this place is overpriced to begin with, but I wanted to punch the guy. I mean, it was a girl who told me that, but I wanted to punch the guy next to her. Neither of them had done anything wrong. It's not their fault that the bourbon scene is what it is. But somebody's got to pay for it. And it's not going to be me. Not at $25 an ounce. Not unless I get to punch somebody. 

That’s like half the price of a full bottle at retail. Insane. My buddy paid $30 for a 2 oz pour of Boss Hogg in New Orleans, and it was totally worth it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

That’s like half the price of a full bottle at retail. Insane. My buddy paid $30 for a 2 oz pour of Boss Hogg in New Orleans, and it was totally worth it. 

Ever heard of Rough Rider? Happy Warrior, to be precise? Just picked up a bottle discounted to $45. I probably shouldn't buy a bottle they couldn't move at $70 for $45 but it's 114 proof and Christmas miracles do happen.

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ever heard of Rough Rider? Happy Warrior, to be precise? Just picked up a bottle discounted to $45. I probably shouldn't buy a bottle they couldn't move at $70 for $45 but it's 114 proof and Christmas miracles do happen.

We used to carry Rough Rider and it just sat collecting dust. Nice pick up for the discount though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure if I mentioned, but I was at our local whiskey bar/intimate singer-songwriter music room the other night (Angie Aparo + Kevn Kinney- actually a damned good show!) and they had Weller 12... for $25 an *ounce*. Granted, this place is overpriced to begin with, but I wanted to punch the guy. I mean, it was a girl who told me that, but I wanted to punch the guy next to her. Neither of them had done anything wrong. It's not their fault that the bourbon scene is what it is. But somebody's got to pay for it. And it's not going to be me. Not at $25 an ounce. Not unless I get to punch somebody. 

Insane. With what I have stashed away in Weller 12 and Antique, at those prices I could take a great fly fishing trip probably, lol. Our local store was selling the Kentucky Owl Rye for $260 and 10 year WhistlePig for $110.....ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 1:39 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

We used to carry Rough Rider and it just sat collecting dust. Nice pick up for the discount though. 

You were correct. It's a nice pickup for the discount. At full MSRP, I'm just going to grab Blanton's or OF Prohibition. But for $45, it's a very nice winter warmer. I might actually grab a couple more.

• Like 1

I was given a pint mason jar of some homemade single malt yesterday.  It was made by a coworker and is surprisingly good.  He says it’s around 120 proof.  It’s a little tough straight up but not bad with an ice cube or a splash in it. 

14 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I was given a pint mason jar of some homemade single malt yesterday.  It was made by a coworker and is surprisingly good.  He says it’s around 120 proof.  It’s a little tough straight up but not bad with an ice cube or a splash in it. 

120 proof homemade single malt? That’s crazy. They are usually sub-100. Askaig makes a 110 proof single malt(highest I’ve ever had in Scotch) that’s fantastic. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

On 12/17/2019 at 6:02 PM, fredst said:

For those out there wanting a little bit different pour, try this. Very tasty.....

F8FC1B38-C570-45F0-9804-CEDE3143DB55.jpeg

This is highly acclaimed. I’m trying to remember if I’ve had it, I think a rep brought it in a while back and we passed on it originally. Either way, it’s on our shelf now. I love a good Irish not named Jameson(except Black Barrel). I’ve had the Blender’s Dog, Distiller’s Safe, and both Caskmates  from Jameson, and nothing they do is as good as Black Barrel. Jameson is just too soft. Most Irish is too soft, really imo. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

120 proof homemade single malt? That’s crazy. They are usually sub-100. Askaig makes a 110 proof single malt(highest I’ve ever had in Scotch) that’s fantastic. 

Yeah, I’m just going by what he said.  I do think it’s more than 80 but probably not 120.  

• Like 1

In Scotland for Christmas holiday and participated in a single malt tasting last pm. Had a taste of: Springbank 21, Glenfarclas 25, Laphroaig 25, Dalmore 20 port cask finished, and Balvenie Tun 1509 Batch #6. These are all fantastic whiskeys. If you like single malt and have a chance I would recommend a pour of any of these. I really like bourbon, but man, single malt Scotch whisky is way more interesting just from a variety standpoint. Merry Christmas to everyone!

• Love 1

19 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This is highly acclaimed. I’m trying to remember if I’ve had it, I think a rep brought it in a while back and we passed on it originally. Either way, it’s on our shelf now. I love a good Irish not named Jameson(except Black Barrel). I’ve had the Blender’s Dog, Distiller’s Safe, and both Caskmates  from Jameson, and nothing they do is as good as Black Barrel. Jameson is just too soft. Most Irish is too soft, really imo. 

Agree. It’s nice as a change of pace but the malting of the grain clearly increases the depth of flavor, makes Scotch whisky more interesting than Irish whiskey IMO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fredst said:

In Scotland for Christmas holiday and participated in a single malt tasting last pm. Had a taste of: Springbank 21, Glenfarclas 25, Laphroaig 25, Dalmore 20 port cask finished, and Balvenie Tun 1509 Batch #6. These are all fantastic whiskeys. If you like single malt and have a chance I would recommend a pour of any of these. I really like bourbon, but man, single malt Scotch whisky is way more interesting just from a variety standpoint. Merry Christmas to everyone!

Slainte! I forgot you were doing that trip. Hope you continue to have an amazing time and scotch scotchy scotch scotchity scotchscotch.

On 12/24/2019 at 7:32 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Caved and bought a bottle of our FP. Didn’t want to spend that kind of money($75) while saving for a house, but it was just too good to pass up. 

QMrykNo.jpg

$75 for that seems like an opportunity worth putting off the house purchase another week lol

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, around4ever said:

Man, that's really cool that dude is actually making whisky. Sounds like a great option for a small pour as a digestif or before bed. 

Also, welcome! (I think that's you that I saw joined recently)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What does that little tag say WHAT DOES IT SAY FREDST

Image result for ice cube what'd he say gif

Lol. Name of the import company. Came all the way to Scotland to buy American whiskey, lol.  Pretty cool though, don’t think the Gold Edition Blanton’s is released in the States (I’m sure it’s the same as the regular but a nice conversation piece)

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 7:24 PM, fredst said:

Lol. Name of the import company. Came all the way to Scotland to buy American whiskey, lol.  Pretty cool though, don’t think the Gold Edition Blanton’s is released in the States (I’m sure it’s the same as the regular but a nice conversation piece)

It is NOT the same as regular Blanton’s! That’s only available outside the US in liquor stores as well as duty-free. It’s a gorgeous bourbon, and much better than what we get here(I’ve had it once, and it was maybe a 3/4 oz. pour). That’s at least $120+ overseas. You could flip that bottle for some major money on secondary, but I suggest drinking it. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Thanks 1

I’m glad the whiskey drinkers here are more level headed than the ones I have to deal with on a daily basis both in store and on Facebook. We had people losing their ever-loving minds in December over the allocated stuff. 

They don’t want anything to do with us all year, and then once November hits it’s like a tidal wave of “when are you getting Pappy when are you getting Eagle Rare 17 etc”. We like for our loyal customers to get a chance and the special stuff, but there’s no way around it. 

I like the idea that heard about one store in Kentucky to reward repeat and regular customers. Start a point system like $1=1 point. After you accrue X amount of points, you get a “key” to the “vault” where you can go in and pick one bottle that we have on hand and purchase it for retail. No gouging. No lines. No hassle. You spend money with us, you get rewarded with an opportunity to buy something good. It’s a great incentive for customers to both spend money in our store and become regular customers. It weeds out the people from who knows where that can just walk in and sign up for our drawing. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Love 2

56 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It is NOT the same as regular Blanton’s! That’s only available outside the US in liquor stores as well as duty-free. It’s a gorgeous bourbon, and much better than what we get here(I’ve had it once, and it was maybe a 3/4 oz. pour). That’s at least $120+ overseas. You could flip that bottle for some major money on secondary, but I suggest drinking it. 

Nice to hear since I’ve never tried. I bought 2 bottles at 90 pounds each which I though was quite a good price. I plan to drink. Y’all let me know if you’re in Huntsville, AL so that you can stop by for a pour!

44 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m glad the whiskey drinkers here are more level headed than the ones I have to deal with on a daily basis both in store and on Facebook. We had people losing their ever-loving minds in December over the allocated stuff. 

They don’t want anything to do with us all year, and then once November hits it’s like a tidal wave of “when are you getting Pappy when are you getting Eagle Rare 17 etc”. We like for our loyal customers to get a chance and the special stuff, but there’s no way around it. 

I like the idea that heard about one store in Kentucky to reward repeat and regular customers. Start a point system like $1=1 point. After you accrue X amount of points, you get a “key” to the “vault” where you can go in and pick one bottle that we have on hand and purchase it for retail. No gouging. No lines. No hassle. You spend money with us, you get rewarded with an opportunity to buy something good. It’s a great incentive for customers to both spend money in our store and become regular customers. It weeds out the people from who knows where that can just walk in and sign up for our drawing. 

Love this kind of system

• Like 1