Brown Liquor Time

fredst

3 hours ago, fredst said:

Nice to hear since I’ve never tried. I bought 2 bottles at 90 pounds each which I though was quite a good price. I plan to drink. Y’all let me know if you’re in Huntsville, AL so that you can stop by for a pour!

90 pounds is right at that $120 mark I think. Regular Blanton’s in the States is going for any range of pricing, and more than $120 in some places. We charge $70. It’s not a $70 bourbon. It’s a $50 bourbon. Period. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/3/2020 at 5:22 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m glad the whiskey drinkers here are more level headed than the ones I have to deal with on a daily basis both in store and on Facebook. We had people losing their ever-loving minds in December over the allocated stuff. 

They don’t want anything to do with us all year, and then once November hits it’s like a tidal wave of “when are you getting Pappy when are you getting Eagle Rare 17 etc”. We like for our loyal customers to get a chance and the special stuff, but there’s no way around it. 

I like the idea that heard about one store in Kentucky to reward repeat and regular customers. Start a point system like $1=1 point. After you accrue X amount of points, you get a “key” to the “vault” where you can go in and pick one bottle that we have on hand and purchase it for retail. No gouging. No lines. No hassle. You spend money with us, you get rewarded with an opportunity to buy something good. It’s a great incentive for customers to both spend money in our store and become regular customers. It weeds out the people from who knows where that can just walk in and sign up for our drawing. 

This is very appropriate and also a way to funnel business to your shop.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:29 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

I made clear ice...OF1920

DF0F0575-4AA8-4A7A-8B6C-6096E2DDB011.jpeg

Well done! Man, I really like the OF1920. The 1910 and the Rye are excellent as well. OF doing a great job with their product over the past 8-10 years. The OFBB is usually excellent but impossible to find.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, fredst said:

Well done! Man, I really like the OF1920. The 1910 and the Rye are excellent as well. OF doing a great job with their product over the past 8-10 years. The OFBB is usually excellent but impossible to find.

I love their prohibition series stuff for sure. Picked up the 1897 for $25 at a bottle pull fundraiser last week. Woot!

I’ve not had the BB...always have an eye out. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I love their prohibition series stuff for sure. Picked up the 1897 for $25 at a bottle pull fundraiser last week. Woot!

I’ve not had the BB...always have an eye out. 

Oh dang. S C O R E

Totally agree with you guys about OF. And one of the BBs... 2014? 2015? was probably my favorite bourbon I've ever had. 

I wonder when I'll quit casually going into liquor stores to browse the bourbon shelves just in case they have some rare gem or a discounted overstock of something fancy. Last year I killed both birds when my spot in Savannah had Sazerac Rye for $29.00. This year they only got one case. And that might actually be the straw to break my back. They've had it on the shelf for months each of the last couple years, but this year it was as tightly allocated as everywhere else. 

I can now readily get CBS and BCBS, and at comparatively reasonable prices, but on the off chance I can even find my favorite bourbons- whose MSRPs are not that high- then I'd end up sending some retailer's or black marketer's kids to college just to taste them. What's the fun in that? 

Oh well. At least some things we talk about like the 1920 can actually be had and are really freaking great. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

And one of the BBs... 2014? 2015? was probably my favorite bourbon I've ever had.

I thought 2013 was really good then not as good until 2017. Just personal preference. They are all very solid just very difficult to find where I am.

• Like 1

Just now, fredst said:

I thought 2013 was really good then not as good until 2017. Just personal preference. They are all very solid just very difficult to find where I am.

Okay, I almost said 2013. I think maybe that was it. Had this almost like candied citrus essence to it? Farking beautiful bourbon. A buddy let me try it. Boy, was I disappointed when I finally had the privilege to pay full price for a pour at the local watering hole and it was a different year and a MUCH different bourbon. It was definitely between 2014 and 2017. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I really don't like reading this.

It's all good man! I was having a sullen, self-loathing moment Saturday night.

Long story short, our house is roughly 40 yo. It sits on a slab foundation and the sewer lines are all cast iron. We started noticing a malicious odor coming from a strange location in our kitchen(to the right of the glass pictured above). After spending a chunk of cash to run a camera down the vent pipe , the plumber found out that our 2 inch line for the kitchen has essentially rotted out under the slab. Consequently, over the weekend I found out that both my across the street neighbor and next door neighbor are dealing with the exact same issue. So, I will be dropping the drain outside(it's on an exterior wall...thank God!) and connecting it to my main sewer line. 

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It's all good man! I was having a sullen, self-loathing moment Saturday night.

Oh damn, I'm surprised I didn't see you there! 

Glad things are not tragic. Still sounds like a true joy of home ownership... futher muckin' home ownership... joy... that it is..

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh damn, I'm surprised I didn't see you there! 

Glad things are not tragic. Still sounds like a true joy of home ownership... futher muckin' home ownership... joy... that it is..

I am usually pretty good about taking things in stride, for the most part. However, the result is that I usually condense my panic into concentrated time frames. In keeping with the liquor them, my panic is distilled, if you will. 

Plumbing. Looks like a picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue. 

Perhaps we can meet in the happy, padded music room Friday night. I'll bring my cooler, a napping mat, and some snacks.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

I am usually pretty good about taking things in stride, for the most part. However, the result is that I usually condense my panic into concentrated time frames. In keeping with the liquor them, my panic is distilled, if you will. 

Plumbing. Looks like a picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue. 

Perhaps we can meet in the happy, padded music room Friday night. I'll bring my cooler, a napping mat, and some snacks.

Great got ahmighty, do I ever feel this post. 

• Love 1

14 hours ago, fredst said:

A worthy recent acquisition. I think well-priced at $55 I paid. But, I think the regular Bakers is good and really underrated 

81602A1E-E49D-4E4D-A093-1B7FB3FB112A.jpeg

Is 107 *lower* than their standard expression? Haha. I agree. Baker's and Booker's both for me. I wonder if they "suffer" a bit from their ubiquity? 

Always interesting to me, supply and demand.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Is 107 *lower* than their standard expression? Haha. I agree. Baker's and Booker's both for me. I wonder if they "suffer" a bit from their ubiquity? 

Always interesting to me, supply and demand.

I guess they are trying to generate more interest for Bakers by making it a single barrel release. There is a 13 year out there somewhere although I have not found it. Little Book Chapter 3 has the 13 year as part of the blend this year and is very good, albeit pricey. Agree on Bookers for a very good high-test option. Also agree on supply and demand: some really good whiskeys out there that are underrated just because they are readily available and some really bad unicorns(think:Black Maple Hill after its initial release)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

OF 1920

0AB977B5-9962-4701-8F79-D2C2AEA36D8D.jpeg

As I've said (too many times, lol)....love the of 1920 or any of the the OF "Whiskey Row" series. Enjoy!

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any of y'all enjoy the occasional hot toddy this time of year? I love them, and I've grown fond of turning hot herbal tea into a toddy. Especially as a bedtime cocktail when I have the sniffles, as I currently do. McWifey picked up some Celestial Seasonings Jammin lemon ginger tea. Terrible name, pretty delicious tea. Add some honey, lemon and a shot of bourbon or- in my case, lately- rum? Aw man. That's comfy wool socks by the fire right there. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 8:41 AM, McLoofus said:

Any of y'all enjoy the occasional hot toddy this time of year? I love them, and I've grown fond of turning hot herbal tea into a toddy. Especially as a bedtime cocktail when I have the sniffles, as I currently do. McWifey picked up some Celestial Seasonings Jammin lemon ginger tea. Terrible name, pretty delicious tea. Add some honey, lemon and a shot of bourbon or- in my case, lately- rum? Aw man. That's comfy wool socks by the fire right there. 

If you don’t want to do all that, check out Stolen X. Good stuff. 

https://www.thisisstolen.com/stolen-x-landing/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If you don’t want to do all that, check out Stolen X. Good stuff. 

https://www.thisisstolen.com/stolen-x-landing/

Flavored whiskey is one of those things that I will 100% *never* try... unless I get a rec from someone I trust. I'll keep my eye out!

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Flavored whiskey is one of those things that I will 100% *never* try... unless I get a rec from someone I trust. I'll keep my eye out!

Think of it more as a pre-mixed cocktail. And if you haven’t tried Skrewball peanut butter whiskey, you’re missing out. We sell a ton of it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Think of it more as a pre-mixed cocktail. And if you haven’t tried Skrewball peanut butter whiskey, you’re missing out. We sell a ton of it. 

Hmmm. Interesting. I will also keep an eye out for that.