Brown Liquor Time

fredst

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I keep mine in the freezer. Nicer vodka gets club soda or dirty martini treatment from me. Mid-shelf vodka gets grapefruit juice or thrown in a bloody. 

We've been sipping it chilled and it's been nice. It's made from corn and seems just a little sweet for vodka, which I enjoy. (Definitely not sweet compared to bourbon or even gin.) Very clean. I feel like a couple of them might not leave as many cobwebs for the morning as bourbon would. 

Agreed about mid-shelf vodka treatment. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We've been sipping it chilled and it's been nice. It's made from corn and seems just a little sweet for vodka, which I enjoy. (Definitely not sweet compared to bourbon or even gin.) Very clean. I feel like a couple of them might not leave as many cobwebs for the morning as bourbon would. 

Agreed about mid-shelf vodka treatment. 

Better for the waistline as well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn’t want to look thru the thread so not sure if I’ve posted this (‘rona laziness) but this is worthwhile. ~$55 for a really, solid single barrel, age-statement bourbon? Not very common in this bourbon market. Recommend. Plus, a cool bottle....

6F464B8B-FB09-49D2-911F-4168B7C8CF73.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/17/2020 at 4:34 PM, fredst said:

Didn’t want to look thru the thread so not sure if I’ve posted this (‘rona laziness) but this is worthwhile. ~$55 for a really, solid single barrel, age-statement bourbon? Not very common in this bourbon market. Recommend. Plus, a cool bottle....

I’ll keep an eye out...

On 4/17/2020 at 4:34 PM, fredst said:

Better than the original iteration of Baker’s. Original just all heat. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Better than the original iteration of Baker’s. Original just all heat. 

I look forward to finding and trying the 13 year iteration 

Got to try 3 of the Michael Jordan tequilas. Cincoro. All are fantastic. $69.99-$129.99(blanco to anejo). I believe an extra anejo exists for the cool price of $1600. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 7:21 AM, McLoofus said:

Got the Old Forrester Single Barrel. 90 proof. I don't know that I'd pay $45 for it again. Will expand the test data this weekend.

I bought a store pick bottle of this as well. I have drained an 1897, 1910, and 1920 since. I still have half a bottle of it left.

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2020 at 9:04 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Got to try 3 of the Michael Jordan tequilas. Cincoro. All are fantastic. $69.99-$129.99(blanco to anejo). I believe an extra anejo exists for the cool price of $1600. 

Nice. I love a good anejo sipped neat. I love extra anejo but that’s a little spendy for me

15 minutes ago, fredst said:

Nice. I love a good anejo sipped neat. I love extra anejo but that’s a little spendy for me

I won't spend more than $1300/bottle, personally.

I Don't Make Deals GIF | Gfycat

• Haha 4

On 5/1/2020 at 11:18 AM, fredst said:

I kind of scoffed when the rep brought it in. I was expecting just another overrated liquor product with a celebrity name attached. But I was pleasantly surprised. There’s 4 other people involved in the company...two of which are owners of the Celtics and Bucks or something like that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

What is that gif from?

Google. Don't remember my search words honestly. And just copied and pasted, didn't look to see. Maybe that Off the Boat show? Also there's something on Netflix rn with Kim in the name...

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Google. Don't remember my search words honestly. And just copied and pasted, didn't look to see. Maybe that Off the Boat show? Also there's something on Netflix rn with Kim in the name...

Looks like Randall Park on the right. Dude is hilarious. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, @AUBwins! Feel free to post whatever you want. Brag, ask questions, lament not drinking brown liquor before noon on a Wednesday, celebrate drinking brown liquor before noon on a Wednesday...

• Haha 1

Thanks Loof. I was ready to chime in on the thread derail in the recruiting forum but went back on topic before I could. Then I found this. 

I have taken an interest in the history of bourbon, but have never consumed any myself.  I have never been a drinker but I am about to relocate Frankfort, KY directly on the Bourbon Trail.  My sister lives in the neighborhood across from Buffalo Trace and as you know there are a great many distilleries in the surrounding areas. 

My company closed down due to this pandemic and oil market crash so we've come to the conclusion of fulfilling a dream since we were married and live in the rolling hills of Kentucky.  I love horse racing, Nascar, and the overall old-time culture or Unbridled Spirit as their slogan.  Frankfort is within an hour of all of that :)

I have reached out to the distilleries for job opportunities but so far nothing I can do there.  I will likely have to try some bourbon there if only not to be surprised by the occasional Bourbon ball served at a party.  Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Thanks Loof. I was ready to chime in on the thread derail in the recruiting forum but went back on topic before I could. Then I found this. 

I have taken an interest in the history of bourbon, but have never consumed any myself.  I have never been a drinker but I am about to relocate Frankfort, KY directly on the Bourbon Trail.  My sister lives in the neighborhood across from Buffalo Trace and as you know there are a great many distilleries in the surrounding areas. 

My company closed down due to this pandemic and oil market crash so we've come to the conclusion of fulfilling a dream since we were married and live in the rolling hills of Kentucky.  I love horse racing, Nascar, and the overall old-time culture or Unbridled Spirit as their slogan.  Frankfort is within an hour of all of that :)

I have reached out to the distilleries for job opportunities but so far nothing I can do there.  I will likely have to try some bourbon there if only not to be surprised by the occasional Bourbon ball served at a party.  Lol

Bear in mind that just because it’s bourbon country, the hard to find stuff isn’t going to be immediately available at all times. Get to know your shop’s employees. Spend money there regularly. It’ll pay off in the end being a familiar face that spends money. 

A lot of people move/visit here(Western TN/Memphis) from outside the southeast and automatically assume that just because it’s the south that we’ll have bottles of Pappy just sitting out on the shelves. And we do hold some things back(like we have 6 bottles of Blanton’s tucked away right now) for those regular types I mentioned above. And if they ask for it, I may give them a bottle. But if I’ve never seen them and they’re just hunting, we don’t have any. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Sorry to hear about your company but it sounds like a blessing in a disguise. Or maybe not even in disguise, hah.  Not sure where you're relocating from, but it sounds like you're heading to the right place.

My recommendation is to head to the Bluegrass Tavern in Lexington for a crash course in bourbon. Absolutely extraordinary whiskey selection and very knowledgeable and patient bartenders. 

Good to know.  I still don't think I would be one to buy as much as sample.  What would be a good starter bourbon to try that won't knock my socks off?  Remember im not much of a drinker in general so I likely have a low tolerance lol. I have had the occasional wine, especially on business trips.

8 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Good to know.  I still don't think I would be one to buy as much as sample.  What would be a good starter bourbon to try that won't knock my socks off?  Remember im not much of a drinker in general so I likely have a low tolerance lol. I have had the occasional wine, especially on business trips.

I would suggest a wheated bourbon if you can find one at a good price. They tend to be a little smoother. If you've heard of Pappy Van Winkle, it's a wheated bourbon. Unfortunately, word got out about Weller Special Reserve and it's harder to find now, but if you can find it at MSRP (~$26 or less) then try that. There are others under $30, though, I think.

Others here like Shocks are more knowledgeable than me, though, and I look forward to their suggestions. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry to hear about your company but it sounds like a blessing in a disguise. Or maybe not even in disguise, hah.  Not sure where you're relocating from, but it sounds like you're heading to the right place.

My recommendation is to head to the Bluegrass Tavern in Lexington for a crash course in bourbon. Absolutely extraordinary whiskey selection and very knowledgeable and patient bartenders. 

Yea, this situation has God written all over it.  I almost think this virus was sent because of having to get a message across to me to finally go do this, so I apologize if that's why it's here.  (Not trying to take light of the virus, nor offend). Every one of the reasons holding us back here in south Louisiana was uprooted so now we don't have an excuse Haha.  

Anyways I've lived away from my sister for 20 years and 15 from my parents so really excited for the opportunity to spend my girls 2nd half of their childhoods with them.  

And only 4 hours from Dollywood, my favorite place to go. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

Yea, this situation has God written all over it.  I almost think this virus was sent because of having to get a message across to me to finally go do this, so I apologize if that's why it's here.  (Not trying to take light of the virus, nor offend). Every one of the reasons holding us back here in south Louisiana was uprooted so now we don't have an excuse Haha.  

Anyways I've lived away from my sister for 20 years and 15 from my parents so really excited for the opportunity to spend my girls 2nd half of their childhoods with them.  

And only 4 hours from Dollywood, my favorite place to go. 

My wife and I have spoken many times about how the effects of this aren't all bad for everyone. We know we're lucky and we don't disregard those who are less so. But we are grateful for some of the noise that we don't currently have in our lives.

Anyway, sorry for missing the home town in your bio. (It's right there next to your posts! *slaps self upside the head*) Totally understand the sense of liberation. And how cool that your kids will finish growing up close to family. We still keep one eye pointed towards where my inlaws live because, in a perfect world, our little ones would grow up close to cousins and other extended family.

Oh, also, look up an Old Fashioned recipe. It's a very simple cocktail that will smooth and sweeten your bourbon just a little while maintaining its integrity. (Not like a margarita or something where you lose the spirit in the mixer(s).) Basically you just muddle sugar in bitters, add ice and bourbon, stir and then garnish with a lemon peel. The most I'll do on top of that is add brandied cherries. 

• Like 1

Yes my girls are loving the opportunities with their cousins.  They've been around my in laws from the start, so now it's the others turn.  Besides, had to get closer to Nashville for my 4 year old to be a star one day lol.  I think the Old fashioned would probably be a solid drink choice for me. Thanks. 

Edited by AUBwins