Brown Liquor Time

fredst

Basil Hayden’s(~$40) is a good starter bourbon. 80 proof. Readily available. It’s watered down Old Granddad 114 proof. It has a couple brothers in Baker’s(~$60) which is 7 years old and 107 proof. And Booker’s(~$90), which I’m unsure of the age and proof, but they release different batches every year. 

If you want something sweeter, like @McLoofussaid, go with a wheated bourbon. Maker’s would be a fine choice, but I like Bernheim(~$30), 7 years old 90 proof. 

I would avoid bourbons high in rye...such as Bulleit. Rye is an acquired taste that takes a bit to get used to. 

Some more affordable regularly available bourbons worth checking out: 1792 Small Batch, Jefferson’s Reserve, Eagle Rare, Wild Turkey Longbranch, Pinhook, Elijah Craig Small Batch(store barrel picks preferred), 4 Roses Small Batch Select, Knob Creek single barrel store picks. 

Bourbon will be more expensive at distilleries btw. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Bourbon will be more expensive at distilleries btw.

Didn't know that.

Good call on the Elijah Craig Small Batch.

Evan Williams Single Barrel is a solid bargain pick, IMO. 

So last week I picked up a bottle of the OF Single Barrel store pick at my regular spot. I realized after I'd left that they didn't charge me for it. Today was my first time going back. I fessed up. The dude was super grateful. I don't think they would've missed the bottle. He charged me for it. No consolation prize. Just hoping they'll remember me and if they have something cool in the back and I happen to ask about it, they'll consider me worthy. 

Picked up a bottle of the OF Rye. The talk of Old Fashioneds gave me a craving.

Having buyer's remorse on a sampler 12 pack from New Realm. For some reason I thought it had different beers in it than it does. Oh well. 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

So last week I picked up a bottle of the OF Single Barrel store pick at my regular spot. I realized after I'd left that they didn't charge me for it. Today was my first time going back. I fessed up. The dude was super grateful. I don't think they would've missed the bottle. He charged me for it. No consolation prize. Just hoping they'll remember me and if they have something cool in the back and I happen to ask about it, they'll consider me worthy. 

Picked up a bottle of the OF Rye. The talk of Old Fashioneds gave me a craving.

Having buyer's remorse on a sampler 12 pack from New Realm. For some reason I thought it had different beers in it than it does. Oh well. 

OF Rye is the best Rye under $25 you can find. Hands down, it’s a $40 rye. Triple stamped. After tasting all the “years” lines of OF, I’m a fanboy. Their re-brand/marketing attack has worked wonders for them. Unfortunately, our store barrel of OF sucked 😔. I’m of the mind that they sent us the wrong barrel. 

1920>Blanton’s any day of the week, sort of apples=oranges, but I’d gladly throw down $60 for 1920 instead of $75+ for Blanton’s. I was working in the office one day and someone handed me a sample. “Ugh what is this?” It was Blanton’s. I’m certain Blanton’s is an underage bourbon at this point, they’re just releasing as much of it as they can. 

OF Birthday Bourbon is always just so great as well. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

OF Rye is the best Rye under $25 you can find. Hands down, it’s a $40 rye. Triple stamped. After tasting all the “years” lines of OF, I’m a fanboy. Their re-brand/marketing attack has worked wonders for them. Unfortunately, our store barrel of OF sucked 😔. I’m of the mind that they sent us the wrong barrel. 

1920>Blanton’s any day of the week, sort of apples=oranges, but I’d gladly throw down $60 for 1920 instead of $75+ for Blanton’s. I was working in the office one day and someone handed me a sample. “Ugh what is this?” It was Blanton’s. I’m certain Blanton’s is an underage bourbon at this point, they’re just releasing as much of it as they can. 

Agree all the way down the line. From a guy who loves Blanton's.

20 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

G@dammit, this is the kind of info I come here for.

I’ll be picking up that rye tomorrow. It’s everywhere here.

Edited by Tiger Refuge

I’m having a hellova a craving for a sazerac. I’m not a mixologist. Anyone ever made one? A quick online search reveals several different “recipes”. Just wondering if y’all had a go to.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:48 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

I’m having a hellova a craving for a sazerac. I’m not a mixologist. Anyone ever made one? A quick online search reveals several different “recipes”. Just wondering if y’all had a go to.

Never made one. Have only had one at the namesake bar in NOLA. Damned fine cocktail. I see you made it happen! For future reference:

The Sazerac Bar
The Roosevelt Hotel – New Orleans

INGREDIENTS:

1 sugar cube
3 dashes of Peychaud’s Bitters
1 1/2 ounces of Sazerac Rye Whiskey
1/4 ounce Herbsaint ( Absinthe)
Lemon peel, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:

Pack an Old-Fashioned glass with ice.

In a second Old-Fashioned glass place a sugar cube and add 3 dashes of Peychaud’s Bitters to it, then crush the sugar cube.

Add the 1 1/2 ounces of Sazerac Rye Whiskey to the Peychaud’s Bitters and sugar.

Empty the ice from the first glass and coat the glass with 1/4 ounce of Herbsaint, then discard the remaining Herbsaint.

Empty the whiskey/bitters/sugar mixture from the second glass into the first glass and garnish with lemon peel. Be sure to strain the mixture.

Bartender’s Notes from Russ: You can use any good 6 – 8 year old Rye Whiskey such as Jim Beam, Old Overholt or Rittenhouse. You can also substitute simple syrup (as they do at the Sazerac Bar and other bars) for the sugar cube.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Never made one. Have only had one at the namesake bar in NOLA. Damned fine cocktail. I see you made it happen! For future reference:

The Sazerac Bar
The Roosevelt Hotel – New Orleans

INGREDIENTS:

1 sugar cube
3 dashes of Peychaud’s Bitters
1 1/2 ounces of Sazerac Rye Whiskey
1/4 ounce Herbsaint ( Absinthe)
Lemon peel, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:

Pack an Old-Fashioned glass with ice.

In a second Old-Fashioned glass place a sugar cube and add 3 dashes of Peychaud’s Bitters to it, then crush the sugar cube.

Add the 1 1/2 ounces of Sazerac Rye Whiskey to the Peychaud’s Bitters and sugar.

Empty the ice from the first glass and coat the glass with 1/4 ounce of Herbsaint, then discard the remaining Herbsaint.

Empty the whiskey/bitters/sugar mixture from the second glass into the first glass and garnish with lemon peel. Be sure to strain the mixture.

Bartender’s Notes from Russ: You can use any good 6 – 8 year old Rye Whiskey such as Jim Beam, Old Overholt or Rittenhouse. You can also substitute simple syrup (as they do at the Sazerac Bar and other bars) for the sugar cube.

Almost the exact recipe I used. ‘Cept I used simple syrup. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 5:38 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Grabbed a barrel pick of Old Scout today. 118 proof and 5 years old. Very tasty.

Duuuuuuude. I like the regular version a lot. Would love to get tangled up in some of this. Will be on the lookout. 

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interview for Material Coordinator with Buffalo Trace tomorrow ... 😁🤞

I'm moving up to Frankfort in 2 weeks so getting a job in town without having to commute to Lexington or Louisville would be great.  Pay will be on the low end of my hourly rate spectrum but a good start at least and a 15 min drive on country roads not bad.  May get a chance to learn a thing or two as well. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 10:12 PM, AUBwins said:

Interview for Material Coordinator with Buffalo Trace tomorrow ... 😁🤞

I'm moving up to Frankfort in 2 weeks so getting a job in town without having to commute to Lexington or Louisville would be great.  Pay will be on the low end of my hourly rate spectrum but a good start at least and a 15 min drive on country roads not bad.  May get a chance to learn a thing or two as well. 

Found out tonight I'm getting the job! I was supposed to know Friday, but still a good result.  Excited to be able to get my foot in the door with the Bourbon industry.  That's a big network in Kentucky, along with horse racing. Sometimes they intertwine together.  Could be a good stepping stone to something bigger in the future. But what better way to start a new life experience in Kentucky than first hand experience at a distillery?! Excited for the career change.

I will head up next week while my wife and daughters stay for a little while in Louisiana while continuing to get the house ready to sell.  Say a little prayer for us in this transition please, especially them being without me for a while. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Found out tonight I'm getting the job! I was supposed to know Friday, but still a good result.  Excited to be able to get my foot in the door with the Bourbon industry.  That's a big network in Kentucky, along with horse racing. Sometimes they intertwine together.  Could be a good stepping stone to something bigger in the future. But what better way to start a new life experience in Kentucky than first hand experience at a distillery?! Excited for the career change.

I will head up next week while my wife and daughters stay for a little while in Louisiana while continuing to get the house ready to sell.  Say a little prayer for us in this transition please, especially them being without me for a while. 

Congratulations. The Buffalo Trace hard hat tour is the best distillery tour I’ve been on. What will your job responsibilities be?

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Congratulations. The Buffalo Trace hard hat tour is the best distillery tour I’ve been on. What will your job responsibilities be?

Thanks, I will be a Material Coordinator in the bottling division.  They still do manual counts of their inventory components such as labels, bottles, caps,  etc. Supposedly they have 1200 different components.  So basically run a report to see what was consumed throughout the day and night before, and make sure the count is accurate.  Then input the data into the AS400 system.  There sounds to be more to it than that but that's the primary responsibility. They are 3rd in line to get a new inventory management software with barcoding capabilities. I have experience implementing new systems, so I am excited at these possibilities there once it gets going.  This won't make me rich, but hopefully a job I enjoy working. 

40 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Thanks, I will be a Material Coordinator in the bottling division.  They still do manual counts of their inventory components such as labels, bottles, caps,  etc. Supposedly they have 1200 different components.  So basically run a report to see what was consumed throughout the day and night before, and make sure the count is accurate.  Then input the data into the AS400 system.  There sounds to be more to it than that but that's the primary responsibility. They are 3rd in line to get a new inventory management software with barcoding capabilities. I have experience implementing new systems, so I am excited at these possibilities there once it gets going.  This won't make me rich, but hopefully a job I enjoy working. 

So basically running inventory every day from the sound of it. There may be room for you to explore other opportunities at the distillery. 

26 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

So basically running inventory every day from the sound of it. There may be room for you to explore other opportunities at the distillery. 

Yea, I think there will be.  That's what I plan to do once I get my feet wet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AUBwins said:

@AUBwins my new best friend btw. All you other guys on here with all this bourbon and beer knowledge......y’all are out...that’s right @McLoofus, @ShocksMyBrain, @Tiger Refuge, I’m looking at y’all 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, fredst said:

@AUBwins my new best friend btw. All you other guys on here with all this bourbon and beer knowledge......y’all are out...that’s right @McLoofus, @ShocksMyBrain, @Tiger Refuge, I’m looking at y’all 

I guess I know who gets the first random shipment of Blanton Single Barrel 😃

OffbeatPeskyAcouchi-size_restricted.gif

• Love 3

6 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I guess I know who gets the first random shipment of Blanton Single Barrel 😃

OffbeatPeskyAcouchi-size_restricted.gif

Do be prepared to answer many “can I get a pappy? Can I get a [insert BTAC]?” type questions when you tell people where you work. 

I probably get asked that at least twice per day at my shop. And if you’re asking on a Monday if I have Blanton’s or Weller...you missed out by a week because we get it in and sell it out in a matter of hours. I haven’t bought a bottle of regular Blanton’s or Weller in years despite having a shot at it each month. Give me barrel picks or 107 Antique or now Full Proof. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

If anyone is curious how barrel pick samples come. Buffalo Trace always sends 3 bottles in this size...200ml. Other distillers will send up to 6. We had Maestro Dobel tequila send like 9...which was ridiculous and nearly impossible to pick.

mub2nU3.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

So jelly of that "Full".

It’s our single barrel pick too. I wasn’t planning on buying a bottle at the $70 price tag, and after trying the samples. Samples didn’t give me much in terms of encouragement. My coworker let me try his, and I bought my bottle immediately. Whatever happened in that extra time in the barrel between the sample pulled and what got bottled made it amazing.