Brown Liquor Time

fredst

26 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It’s our single barrel pick too. I wasn’t planning on buying a bottle at the $70 price tag, and after trying the samples. Samples didn’t give me much in terms of encouragement. My coworker let me try his, and I bought my bottle immediately. Whatever happened in that extra time in the barrel between the sample pulled and what got bottled made it amazing. 

I have a stash still of the Antique from way back when Antique and 12 year Weller were actually findable and affordable. That “Full” is at a proof point that’s right up my alley 

Edited by fredst

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If anyone is curious how barrel pick samples come. Buffalo Trace always sends 3 bottles in this size...200ml. Other distillers will send up to 6. We had Maestro Dobel tequila send like 9...which was ridiculous and nearly impossible to pick.

mub2nU3.jpg

That looks like the items I will be counting.  😁

• Love 2

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Do be prepared to answer many “can I get a pappy? Can I get a [insert BTAC]?” type questions when you tell people where you work. 

I probably get asked that at least twice per day at my shop. And if you’re asking on a Monday if I have Blanton’s or Weller...you missed out by a week because we get it in and sell it out in a matter of hours. I haven’t bought a bottle of regular Blanton’s or Weller in years despite having a shot at it each month. Give me barrel picks or 107 Antique or now Full Proof. 

My go to will probably be I only see the bottles before they are full. Lol

3 hours ago, fredst said:

I have a stash still of the Antique from way back when Antique and 12 year Weller were actually findable and affordable. That “Full” is at a proof point that’s right up my alley 

I’m with you. I love a barrel/cask/strength/full proof bourbon that has enough kick that I can feel like I’m drinking whiskey. A well balanced 100+ proofed whiskey is my ticket.

...and then you have something like Stagg Jr. that is just way too hot. I rarely enjoy any batch of Jr. 

...and furthermore, you can have something so delicate like Elmer sitting at 80 proof, and it’s arguably one of my favorite bourbons.  Our Knob Creek single barrels that we pick are beautiful at 120 proof, but drink like they’re 90. Our last KC was a cinnamon bomb, and I loved it. 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m with you. I love a barrel/cask/strength/full proof bourbon that has enough kick that I can feel like I’m drinking whiskey. A well balanced 100+ proofed whiskey is my ticket.

...and then you have something like Stagg Jr. that is just way too hot. I rarely enjoy any batch of Jr. 

...and furthermore, you can have something so delicate like Elmer sitting at 80 proof, and it’s arguably one of my favorite bourbons.  Our Knob Creek single barrels that we pick are beautiful at 120 proof, but drink like they’re 90. Our last KC was a cinnamon bomb, and I loved it. 

Agree with this. George T Stagg is a truly great whiskey; I’m fortunate to have three bottles and they are all awesome and very drinkable even at 130+. If I never taste another Stagg Jr. though I’m good with that- the ones I’ve tried have been like drinking oak- tasting diesel

• Like 1

I’ve been drinking EC barrel proof but this week I’m trying El Tesoro silver which is one of the better tequilas I’ve had recently. 

• Love 1

Well I have a change in plans.  I may lose my new bestie @fredst, but I was offered the job I had my eye on before the Buffalo Trace job. A lot better salary and future career growth.  So I have accepted that job instead.  Inventory Manager at an aluminum producer/distributer about 20 mins from my current living arrangements and in the town we're looking to settle in within the next year. Pretty stoked about this one.  Great vibes from this company with little turnover.  

I will say, Buffalo would have been a beautiful place to work though.  Grabbed a few pics today. I will post more pics in the pic thread a little later. 

20200723_110445.jpg

20200723_110739.jpg

20200723_110355.jpg

20200723_110424.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Well I have a change in plans.  I may lose my new bestie @fredst, but I was offered the job I had my eye on before the Buffalo Trace job. A lot better salary and future career growth.  So I have accepted that job instead.  Inventory Manager at an aluminum producer/distributer about 20 mins from my current living arrangements and in the town we're looking to settle in within the next year. Pretty stoked about this one.  Great vibes from this company with little turnover.  

I will say, Buffalo would have been a beautiful place to work though.  Grabbed a few pics today. I will post more pics in the pic thread a little later. 

20200723_110445.jpg

20200723_110739.jpg

20200723_110355.jpg

20200723_110424.jpg

Congratulations!!! Man I hate to dump you so early into our relationship....

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Jeez. You just go out and grab job offers like I grab items off the value menu at Taco Bell. Congrats! Sorry your bromance has fallen apart, though :(

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Jeez. You just go out and grab job offers like I grab items off the value menu at Taco Bell. Congrats! Sorry your bromance has fallen apart, though :(

It took a good 3 months to get one. Once I did, forced the issue on the one I wanted.  Said pretty much need to know something this week or else I'm working elsewhere. But it was always a good fit. They just weren't ready to fill it a few months ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Congratulations!!! Man I hate to dump you so early into our relationship....

I understand ... almost didn't accept because of it. That's why I tried to send some pics at least lol. 

• Love 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:40 AM, aubearcat said:

I’ve been drinking EC barrel proof but this week I’m trying El Tesoro silver which is one of the better tequilas I’ve had recently. 

The ET anejo was my go-to for a long time. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

The ET anejo was my go-to for a long time. 

I liked it a lot. Really smooth. Patron is sold as a top shelf tequila but I think it’s more in line with Hornitos and Cabo. ET is much better in my opinion. 

20 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I liked it a lot. Really smooth. Patron is sold as a top shelf tequila but I think it’s more in line with Hornitos and Cabo. ET is much better in my opinion. 

Couldn't agree more. Patron got a marketing/rap game bump back in the day, but the market has been flooded with better products since. (Or maybe they were already there and I just wasn't drinking premium tequilas when I was in my 20s, hah.)

That's something I need to look for soon- a good midrange sipping tequila. By the way, I've enjoyed each expression of Sparkle Donkey I've tried. The reposado has some really bangin' vanilla notes. 

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. Patron got a marketing/rap game bump back in the day, but the market has been flooded with better products since. (Or maybe they were already there and I just wasn't drinking premium tequilas when I was in my 20s, hah.)

That's something I need to look for soon- a good midrange sipping tequila. By the way, I've enjoyed each expression of Sparkle Donkey I've tried. The reposado has some really bangin' vanilla notes. 

I’ll have to be on the lookout for it. I’ll sip on Hornitos or Cabo. Neither are really expensive and both are very drinkable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I’ll have to be on the lookout for it. I’ll sip on Hornitos or Cabo. Neither are really expensive and both are very drinkable. 

It's a little more than those, I think, but not in Don Julio territory or anything. It was cheap when it first came out. Wish it still was. 

You guys talking tequila (and mescal).........I’m digging it. My thoughts are right in line with what y’all are saying, which makes me feel better about myself

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Speaking of tequila, I’m planning on snagging a bottle of this tomorrow. La Gritona repo. Awesome stuff. 

image.jpeg

That bottle is sexy AF

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That bottle is sexy AF

Yeah it’s sick. Made by an all-woman staff as well. Not for political reasons, but that all the men in that particular village/town go work elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yeah it’s sick. Made by an all-woman staff as well. Not for political reasons, but that all the men in that particular village/town go work elsewhere. 

So I was already imagining riding a horse through the dusty mountains of Mexico, and coming over a hill to some saloon in the middle of nowhere with a door made out of sticks, and walking up to the bar with nothing but the sound of my spurs as the locals stare at me silently, and then I just say "tequila", and they put that exact bottle- covered in dust- on the bar with a little tin cup... But now you're telling me all of this happens in a town with only women? And undoubtedly they all have guns and I would 100% get myself shot before sundown? DUDE. This is every dream I've ever had come true. 

(RIP Ennio Morricone)

Edited by McLoofus
  • Haha 1

So I was already imagining riding a horse through the dusty mountains of Mexico, and coming over a hill to some saloon in the middle of nowhere with a door made out of sticks, and walking up to the bar with nothing but the sound of my spurs as the locals stare at me silently, and then I just say "tequila", and they put that exact bottle- covered in dust- on the bar with a little tin cup... But now you're telling me all of this happens in a town with only women? And undoubtedly they all have guns and I would 100% get myself shot before sundown? DUDE. This is every dream I've ever had come true. 

(RIP Ennio Morricone)

Straight out of a J Peterman catalog. Or a Tarantino movie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1