Brown Liquor Time

fredst

On 7/27/2020 at 2:19 PM, McLoofus said:

So I was already imagining riding a horse through the dusty mountains of Mexico, and coming over a hill to some saloon in the middle of nowhere with a door made out of sticks, and walking up to the bar with nothing but the sound of my spurs as the locals stare at me silently, and then I just say "tequila", and they put that exact bottle- covered in dust- on the bar with a little tin cup... But now you're telling me all of this happens in a town with only women? And undoubtedly they all have guns and I would 100% get myself shot before sundown? DUDE. This is every dream I've ever had come true. 

(RIP Ennio Morricone)

Dude, you are so I my head on this.....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

My jealousy is at 11 right now

I really hope he goes and we both throw a rod when he shares the details. 

I used to do cool things. Then I got jealous when other people did cool things. Now I straight up live for other people doing cool things because I wouldn't even know about cool things if they didn't. 

48 minutes ago, fredst said:

My jealousy is at 11 right now

The perks of working in the industry can be wonderful. I get a discount at most breweries I go to if I inquire(which I don’t do often because I don’t like to sound like a mooch). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I really hope he goes and we both throw a rod when he shares the details. 

I used to do cool things. Then I got jealous when other people did cool things. Now I straight up live for other people doing cool things because I wouldn't even know about cool things if they didn't. 

A somewhat sad summation of my middle-aged life 😔

Edited by fredst

Just now, fredst said:

A somewhat sad summation of my middle-ages life 😔

WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE PICTURES OF MY KIDS HERE WE ARE AT THE BEACH HERE WE ARE AT THE OTHER BEACH BOY THEY SURE ARE A HANDFUL

HEY HONEY ISN'T IT NICE TO HAVE A NIGHT TO OURSELVES

YEAH

YEAH

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE KIDS ARE DOING RIGHT NOW

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry, @fredst, didn't mean to upset you. It was meant to be a humorous caricature of my current life season. 5 and 1, man. We really don't have bandwidth for much else. 

I'm with you, though I passed that stage. My youngest got her driver's license today- how in the hell did that happen so fast? I may have the bandwidth for things now but not the energy. 19, 17, 16 here at my homestead. Enjoy every minute of it, as much as you can....it goes by in a blink.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

I'm with you, though I passed that stage. My youngest got her driver's license today- how in the hell did that happen so fast? I may have the bandwidth for things now but not the energy. 19, 17, 16 here at my homestead. Enjoy every minute of it, as much as you can....it goes by in a blink.

Trying, my brother. Trying. It's actually been a bright side of this clown car of a year we're having. Nothing else to do but hunker down with my peoples. 

And drink. I'm going to level with you on that. I've had some drinks.

OH, brown liquor time... Bought the Richard Petty whiskey for the hell of it. Discounted to *$9.99* at my local spot. And let me tell you something. I was robbed. Ho-lee crap that stuff is bad. I had to drain pour and quickly wash my mouth out with some Dickel Rye. 

• Haha 1

@McLoofus, the mezcal in the top left of my first collage is phenomenal. It smelled like Monterey Jack cheese. 

Also, the barrel aged gin(bottom left) clocking in at like 150 proof is arguably one of the wildest, most interesting spirits I’ve ever had. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

SO. JELLY. Is it wrong that those pictures are how I envision a little corner of heaven being?

I have had that mescal and it is very good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fredst said:

SO. JELLY. Is it wrong that those pictures are how I envision a little corner of heaven being?

I have had that mescal and it is very good. 

The Old Crow bottles are from the 70s I think. They’re chess pieces and still had the tax stamp on them. The McKenna was bottled in the early 90s, so it was a spirit that was barreled in the mid-80s. Because I was a guest, I didn’t get the chance to just pick any bottle off the shelf, there was a separate guest room(not pictured) with a lot of more pedestrian type bourbons...a lot of which I have had. The pours were small(on your honor), so I tasted probably 20 different whiskeys/spirits. 

There are two “libraries”(not pictured)with all the Pappy, BTAC, and crazy Willett Family reserve stuff. I’ve never seen so many different bottles of Willett Family in one place. 

The house exterior itself looks like what people might think a trap house looks like. Very unassuming ranch-style home with blacked out windows. 

Very cool opportunity I was happy to have the privilege to experience. Also found out I may be tapped to take on a role with the rep’s company who hosted us, in the first quarter of next year. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Very cool opportunity I was happy to have the privilege to experience. Also found out I may be tapped to take on a role with the rep’s company who hosted us, in the first quarter of next year. 

Hope we get to hear more about that. Good luck!

I can imagine going to that house could have been 98% beyond-bucket-list amazing, 1% overwhelming, and 1% bittersweet because you would die if you tried everything you wanted to. But mainly the 98%.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The Old Crow bottles are from the 70s I think. They’re chess pieces and still had the tax stamp on them. The McKenna was bottled in the early 90s, so it was a spirit that was barreled in the mid-80s. Because I was a guest, I didn’t get the chance to just pick any bottle off the shelf, there was a separate guest room(not pictured) with a lot of more pedestrian type bourbons...a lot of which I have had. The pours were small(on your honor), so I tasted probably 20 different whiskeys/spirits. 

There are two “libraries”(not pictured)with all the Pappy, BTAC, and crazy Willett Family reserve stuff. I’ve never seen so many different bottles of Willett Family in one place. 

The house exterior itself looks like what people might think a trap house looks like. Very unassuming ranch-style home with blacked out windows. 

That’s awesome. An experience to remember and one any lover of bourbon would envy. Glad for you that you got to do that....very cool particularly for someone like yourself that can appreciate it. The average yayhoo that likes a bourbon and coke certainly doesn’t need to be going in there for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fredst said:

That’s awesome. An experience to remember and one any lover of bourbon would envy. Glad for you that you got to do that....very cool particularly for someone like yourself that can appreciate it. The average yayhoo that likes a bourbon and coke certainly doesn’t need to be going in there for sure.

Once I realized I liked bourbon without any mixers, I got reaaaaal self-righteous about it. I didn't know Booker's from Baker's but I've never been one to get mired down in details. One day I yelled at all my friends and said, "You think Pappy van Winkle and Elijah Craig and Jack Daniels worked so hard perfecting their recipes just so they would taste good with Coke or Sprite?!?!" In hindsight it was really douchey, but they all agreed and learned how to drink like adults. 

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In hindsight it was really douchey, but they all agreed and learned how to drink like adults. 

This is a kind of douchebaggery that I can fully support 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Once I realized I liked bourbon without any mixers, I got reaaaaal self-righteous about it. I didn't know Booker's from Baker's but I've never been one to get mired down in details. One day I yelled at all my friends and said, "You think Pappy van Winkle and Elijah Craig and Jack Daniels worked so hard perfecting their recipes just so they would taste good with Coke or Sprite?!?!" In hindsight it was really douchey, but they all agreed and learned how to drink like adults. 

This is why Weller Special Reserve exists. It’s fairly cheap and drinks fine neat or if some plebe wants a bourbon and coke, it won’t hurt your feelings. 

I still rue the day when I could get Old Rip for $50 anytime I wanted it 12 years ago. Or Pappy 20 for $99. Thanks to Men’s Health or whatever magazine it was that helped spark the bourbon boom, those days are long gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This is why Weller Special Reserve exists. It’s fairly cheap and drinks fine neat or if some plebe wants a bourbon and coke, it won’t hurt your feelings. 

I still rue the day when I could get Old Rip for $50 anytime I wanted it 12 years ago. Or Pappy 20 for $99. Thanks to Men’s Health or whatever magazine it was that helped spark the bourbon boom, those days are long gone. 

“GearPatrol” is the one that screwed is with the “Hacking Pappy” article making Weller 12 a unicorn

1 hour ago, fredst said:

“GearPatrol” is the one that screwed is with the “Hacking Pappy” article making Weller 12 a unicorn

Weller 12 is soooo overrated too(IMO). I would literally choose any other Weller variant over that one except maybe SR. I tried it side by side with with Jameson Black Barrel(the only “good” Jameson in my book) and liked the Jameson better. 

I really wish I could share my Weller Full Proof store pick with you guys. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Weller 12 is soooo overrated too(IMO). I would literally choose any other Weller variant over that one except maybe SR. I tried it side by side with with Jameson Black Barrel(the only “good” Jameson in my book) and liked the Jameson better. 

I really wish I could share my Weller Full Proof store pick with you guys. 

Name the time and place and I could be there. I’ll drive if ’Loof promises to keep me awake riding shotgun, lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1