Brown Liquor Time

fredst

Since no activity was mentioned, thought I'd post this. Was on a Georgia road trip last week & grabbed all these. I do this every few months. Some for me, others are bottles that friends wanted. I love hunting in GA & TN; always find things I don't see in AL. 

Really excited about the Glenfarclas 105. Love it & been looking for it for 2 years. I always have a Dickel BiB on hand; actually one of my favorites and can consistently find in GA around $40. Slowly consuming a Redwood Empire Lost Monarch right now; really like it and the $35 price point. Picked up the other Redwood bottle to see how it is. Opened first bottle of Woodinville a few weeks ago. Tried it in my bourbon group and we all liked it. So picked up the port finish bottle last week to try it. 

The Weller CYPB...stumbled across it and couldn't pass it up. Will hold it for a special occasion. EHT Barrel Proof is first one I've ever seen in a store...unfortunately it's going to a friend since I already blew the budget on the CYPB. 

968103108_Haul9_21.thumb.jpg.376a377d80f54ce8772daeb631defb98.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, marsbold said:

Since no activity was mentioned, thought I'd post this. Was on a Georgia road trip last week & grabbed all these. I do this every few months. Some for me, others are bottles that friends wanted. I love hunting in GA & TN; always find things I don't see in AL. 

Really excited about the Glenfarclas 105. Love it & been looking for it for 2 years. I always have a Dickel BiB on hand; actually one of my favorites and can consistently find in GA around $40. Slowly consuming a Redwood Empire Lost Monarch right now; really like it and the $35 price point. Picked up the other Redwood bottle to see how it is. Opened first bottle of Woodinville a few weeks ago. Tried it in my bourbon group and we all liked it. So picked up the port finish bottle last week to try it. 

The Weller CYPB...stumbled across it and couldn't pass it up. Will hold it for a special occasion. EHT Barrel Proof is first one I've ever seen in a store...unfortunately it's going to a friend since I already blew the budget on the CYPB. 

Jealous of the CYPB and the Glenfarclas. Nice haul!

Edited by fredst

21 hours ago, marsbold said:

I love that there's paperwork involved, lol.

Seriously. If I brought home that many bottles of hooch at once- and especially so many hammers- I would also find some reason to get out pen and paper. Not kidding at all. 

I actually have all 38 spirits that have gone into my infinity decanter so far listed, along with proof for anything over 80. 10ml at a time. Once it's full I'll quit with that and just use it to dump remnants like a normal person, but I want to curate and document for the first fill. I might even calculate the proof, % straight bourbon vs rye vs "other" (there are trace amounts of Irish whisky, Scotch, rum, tequila and mezcal in there), etc. 

Sorry. Let us know how they are!

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Seriously. If I brought home that many bottles of hooch at once- and especially so many hammers- I would also find some reason to get out pen and paper. Not kidding at all. 

I actually have all 38 spirits that have gone into my infinity decanter so far listed, along with proof for anything over 80. 10ml at a time. Once it's full I'll quit with that and just use it to dump remnants like a normal person, but I want to curate and document for the first fill. I might even calculate the proof, % straight bourbon vs rye vs "other" (there are trace amounts of Irish whisky, Scotch, rum, tequila and mezcal in there), etc. 

Most of my paperwork and notes are getting logged into a document of which stores are worth revisiting and what are good prices on bottles I like. (ex - paid $60 for the Heaven Hill BiB. Don't see it a lot but realized in visiting some other stores I can hold out for $45-$50 on that bottle). I hit 21 stores last week on the trip...fun but exhausting also. Mostly focusing on GA since I'm there a decent amount. Ton of work but hoping that down the road I have an idea of good stores to swing by in various areas instead of making so many random stops. Next trip I'll take a more southern route to south Atlanta and hit an entirely different group of stores and add more notes to the file. Ended up with 17 bottles last week so part of documents is just trying to figure out who it getting what & how much they owe me!

Going to try the infinity bottle at some point. Sounds like a lot of fun, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Really curious to hear your thoughts on your infinity bottle once you start drinking it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marsbold said:

Most of my paperwork and notes are getting logged into a document of which stores are worth revisiting and what are good prices on bottles I like. (ex - paid $60 for the Heaven Hill BiB. Don't see it a lot but realized in visiting some other stores I can hold out for $45-$50 on that bottle). I hit 21 stores last week on the trip...fun but exhausting also. Mostly focusing on GA since I'm there a decent amount. Ton of work but hoping that down the road I have an idea of good stores to swing by in various areas instead of making so many random stops. Next trip I'll take a more southern route to south Atlanta and hit an entirely different group of stores and add more notes to the file. Ended up with 17 bottles last week so part of documents is just trying to figure out who it getting what & how much they owe me!

Going to try the infinity bottle at some point. Sounds like a lot of fun, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Really curious to hear your thoughts on your infinity bottle once you start drinking it!

I can relate so much to all of this. Well, except taking such good care of your buddies. Mostly kidding!

When you go to south Atlanta, consider Empire Package at Flat Shoals and I20. Deceptively solid for being so overtly hood. One time I saw the owner's son- huge Korean dude- standing outside with a "patron" pinned to the wall in an armbar with one hand and on the phone with the other. Assuming he was talking to the cops. Looked bored out of his mind. Used to get Weller and Saz Rye at MSRP on the regular there. Probably not quite the unicorn store that it used to be but certainly worth checking out if you're over that way. Bonus points for being basically in East Atlanta Village. Lots of great bars and restaurants. That's where I used to live. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I can relate so much to all of this. Well, except taking such good care of your buddies. Mostly kidding!

When you go to south Atlanta, consider Empire Package at Flat Shoals and I20. Deceptively solid for being so overtly hood. One time I saw the owner's son- huge Korean dude- standing outside with a "patron" pinned to the wall in an armbar with one hand and on the phone with the other. Assuming he was talking to the cops. Looked bored out of his mind. Used to get Weller and Saz Rye at MSRP on the regular there. Probably not quite the unicorn store that it used to be but certainly worth checking out if you're over that way. Bonus points for being basically in East Atlanta Village. Lots of great bars and restaurants. That's where I used to live. 

Thanks for the tip! Just googled address & added Empire to my list of stores to visit. Not often in that area but will definitely check it out. 

First time I went to one of the better stores I've visited in SW Georgia the owner was outside yelling at some guy & had the cops on the phone. The stores I don't want to visit at night are the ones I've had better luck finding unicorns or semi-unicorns. The big & fancy stores in nice areas of town seem to have all the stuff hidden in the back and/or allocated for their best customers/club members.

Side note - the Weller SR is still pretty easy to find in GA still if you visit multiple stores. Probably saw it in at least 6 stores last week. Not much luck on the rest of the line up though. Saw one 12 year at $350 (left it there) and the CYPB that I nabbed; that was it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, marsbold said:

Thanks for the tip! Just googled address & added Empire to my list of stores to visit. Not often in that area but will definitely check it out. 

First time I went to one of the better stores I've visited in SW Georgia the owner was outside yelling at some guy & had the cops on the phone. The stores I don't want to visit at night are the ones I've had better luck finding unicorns or semi-unicorns. The big & fancy stores in nice areas of town seem to have all the stuff hidden in the back and/or allocated for their best customers/club members.

Side note - the Weller SR is still pretty easy to find in GA still if you visit multiple stores. Probably saw it in at least 6 stores last week. Not much luck on the rest of the line up though. Saw one 12 year at $350 (left it there) and the CYPB that I nabbed; that was it.

Thanks right back at ya! Do you tend to find the Weller SR @  msrp or slightly above? Or is it typically marked way up? As much as I like that stuff, I just can't get into paying crazy markups for anything.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks right back at ya! Do you tend to find the Weller SR @  msrp or slightly above? Or is it typically marked way up? As much as I like that stuff, I just can't get into paying crazy markups for anything.

Not sure what MSRP is but guessing around $30?? Last week, picked up one bottle at $30 and other at $35 I think (both for friends). Most commonly see it at $40-$45. Definitely have seen it higher also, up to like $60. See it commonly enough that I never pay over $40. Didn't even get a bottle for me last week because I have 3 at home right now. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve just dumped remnants of rye and bourbon into a bottle over the past 2-3 years or so. Took about 20-25 bottles to fill a 750. Y’all are way to scientific for this simpleton, lol.  Maybe I’ll start a second one now out of shame for my first run. Look forward to hearing the taste notes on yours

Edited by fredst

5 hours ago, fredst said:

I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve just dumped remnants of rye and bourbon into a bottle over the past 2-3 years or so. Took about 20-25 bottles to fill a 750. Y’all are way to scientific for this simpleton, lol.  Maybe I’ll start a second one now out of shame for my first run. Look forward to hearing the taste notes on yours

Lol. Nah buddy. I'm literally just putting whatever in there but pretending that I'm curating some master cuvee because I'm writing it down. What you've done seems much more in keeping with the point.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:40 AM, McLoofus said:

Dude, I legit said "Nice" out loud when I saw you joined. Welcome. Pour yourself a drink and pull up a chair. I'll think you'll find this a welcome respite from... out there.

Bourbon:

Go-to- Has been Old Granddad Bonded lately. Began re-acquainting myself with the Old Forester 100 Proof last night. Very tasty.

Special occasion- OF Birthday Bourbon and Weller 12 are probably my 2 favorite bourbons. Which means I don't often drink my favorite bourbons, lol.

Hope this doesn't get me blasted, but I'm going to recommend people try a "bottom shelf" bourbon that I like very, very much. Before I say what it is, I think I have to point out that my belief is people are often biased by things like price, packaging and marketing such that they are predisposed to find higher priced, better marketed brands to be "better." This seems to be the case with everything from wines to bottled water where experts, blind to what they are tasting, will often find that they like what they thought they hated. In this case, with the bourbon I'm going to recommend, I wonder if putting it in a really upscale bottle prior to having someone taste might have some influence?

Anyway...

Bottom shelf. Cheap. But I think very, very good as a "sipping whiskey" with a touch of sweetness in the aftertaste, hints of vanilla and just very smooth: 101 Proof Virgin Bourbon

Virgin Bourbon 101 Proof is available in Alabama ABC stores for about 15 dollars for 750 ml. I originally tried this back in the early 90's and was pleasantly surprised. I forgot about it for many years as I'm typically not really a fan of most bourbons in general but tried it again a few years back and again found it to be very good, better even than some top shelf brands costing several times the price.

If folks can keep an open mind, give it a try. Don't judge by the cheap looking label or price. It's my "go to" bourbon of choice. No kidding.

Edited by CleCoTiger
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Hope this doesn't get me blasted, but I'm going to recommend people try a "bottom shelf" bourbon that I like very, very much. Before I say what it is, I think I have to point out that my belief is people are often biased by things like price, packaging and marketing such that they are predisposed to find higher priced, better marketed brands to be "better." This seems to be the case with everything from wines to bottled water where experts, blind to what they are tasting, will often find that they like what they thought they hated. In this case, with the bourbon I'm going to recommend, I wonder if putting it in a really upscale bottle prior to hnaving someone taste might have some influence?

Anyway...

Bottom shelf. Cheap. But I think very, very good as a "sipping whiskey" with a touch of sweetness in the aftertaste, hints of vanilla and just very smooth: 101 Proof Virgin Bourbon

Virgin Bourbon 101 Proof is available in Alabama ABC stores for about 15 dollars for 750 ml. I originally tried this back in the early 90's and was pleasantly surprised. I forgot about it for many years as I'm typically not really a fan of most bourbons in general but tried it again a few years back and again found it to be very good, better even than some top shelf brands costing several times the price.

If folks can keep and open mind, give it a try. Don't judge by the cheap looking label or price. It's my "go to" bourbon of choice. No kidding.

Dude. I don't believe in paying more just to pay more. Good is good and I LOVE when good costs less. 

Welcome and thanks much for the rec! Hope I can find it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Hope this doesn't get me blasted, but I'm going to recommend people try a "bottom shelf" bourbon that I like very, very much. Before I say what it is, I think I have to point out that my belief is people are often biased by things like price, packaging and marketing such that they are predisposed to find higher priced, better marketed brands to be "better." This seems to be the case with everything from wines to bottled water where experts, blind to what they are tasting, will often find that they like what they thought they hated. In this case, with the bourbon I'm going to recommend, I wonder if putting it in a really upscale bottle prior to hnaving someone taste might have some influence?

Anyway...

If folks can keep and open mind, give it a try. Don't judge by the cheap looking label or price. It's my "go to" bourbon of choice. No kidding.

Thanks for the rec! No question that marketing is a big deal in the bourbon market just like many places. With some things you get what you pay for but, particularly in the current market, taste and quality of bourbon seems to be completely dissociated from price. Will have to try the Virgin brand. I mean, at $15, why not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Hope this doesn't get me blasted, but I'm going to recommend people try a "bottom shelf" bourbon that I like very, very much. Before I say what it is, I think I have to point out that my belief is people are often biased by things like price, packaging and marketing such that they are predisposed to find higher priced, better marketed brands to be "better." This seems to be the case with everything from wines to bottled water where experts, blind to what they are tasting, will often find that they like what they thought they hated. In this case, with the bourbon I'm going to recommend, I wonder if putting it in a really upscale bottle prior to having someone taste might have some influence?

Anyway...

If folks can keep an open mind, give it a try. Don't judge by the cheap looking label or price. It's my "go to" bourbon of choice. No kidding.

A good whiskey is whatever you enjoy, regardless of pricing and packaging! I almost always have Old Grand Dad in the house, usually the BiB 100 proof that goes for about $24. Also keep Crown Royal, around $40 for a 1.75 liter "handle", for my crown & cokes during football games or neighborhood walks. Would say both are mid to bottom shelf, but I enjoy them.

Will keep an eye out for the Virgin Bourbon...I'll try anything and my wallet would prefer more $15-$25 bottles.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marsbold said:

I almost always have Old Grand Dad in the house, usually the BiB 100 proof that goes for about $24.

The OGD 114 is seriously underrated and overlooked IMO

On 9/21/2021 at 8:18 AM, McLoofus said:

There is an app specifically for infinity bottles that, I think, helps track what is in them, proofs, mash bill, etc. Can't remember where I saw it being discussed though. Was searching some groups yesterday and couldn't find the thread; was hoping to share the specific app with you. Sounded really intriguing though. Guy shared a couple screenshots of what the app was tracking, and a couple others were using the app and really liked it. Realize this is pretty vague, but you may want to check apps in the app store to see if there is one that would help on your current or future infinity bottle.

• Thanks 2

Stopped in a liquor store here in Ft Worth,-TX- here for parents weekend- to pick up a bottle of brown for my contribution to the tailgate. They had some Weller 12 on a shelf behind the counter so I asked about it. Was told that was one of the allocated whiskeys here (no surprise). The cost: $299 😳 I used to get that stuff for $30.a classic example of what’s wrong with the bourbon market 

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

Yep. Absurd. Saw a Weller 12 couple weeks ago in the $300-$350 range; can't remember exact price. Left it there. Friend found a couple bottles recently at $200. He bought them b/c the odds of finding any cheaper these days are pretty low.

I've seen pics recently and heard from a few people that it can be found in Texas at reasonable prices if you shop around. Would love a chance to spend a few hours out there driving around & hitting stores.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 11:04 AM, fredst said:

Stopped in a liquor store here in Ft Worth,-TX- here for parents weekend- to pick up a bottle of brown for my contribution to the tailgate. They had some Weller 12 on a shelf behind the counter so I asked about it. Was told that was one of the allocated whiskeys here (no surprise). The cost: $299 😳 I used to get that stuff for $30.a classic example of what’s wrong with the bourbon market 

Some dude asked $99 for Sazerac Rye today. I laughed at him and won't be returning to that store.

Drinking the Four Roses Single Barrel Select right now. I like it quite a bit. Full bodied and full flavored. About as rich and layered as I've had at that $60 price point. Right there with the OF 1920.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

When your wife's friend picks the unopened Woodford Double Oaked to mix with his ginger ale. She's already texted me two apologies. (Texted me because he's still here drinking it. I offered to give the kids their bath.)

On 11/28/2021 at 6:15 PM, McLoofus said:

When your wife's friend picks the unopened Woodford Double Oaked to mix with his ginger ale. She's already texted me two apologies. (Texted me because he's still here drinking it. I offered to give the kids their bath.)

Ouch!! I've had a couple similar experiences. About a year ago I started asking anyone at my house about their whiskey experience/preferences before pulling any bottles out. If their answer is something like "I mostly drink beer" or "I like Jack and Coke", I only bring out the Crown Royal or a couple bottles under $30. Nothing wrong with these type answers; I just don't want to see my EH Taylor or 15 year Scotch in a glass with twice as much ice as whiskey or mixed with some type soda. Also keep the nicer bottles in a separate location that only certain guests see. No cringe worthy moments since then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marsbold said:

Ouch!! I've had a couple similar experiences. About a year ago I started asking anyone at my house about their whiskey experience/preferences before pulling any bottles out. If their answer is something like "I mostly drink beer" or "I like Jack and Coke", I only bring out the Crown Royal or a couple bottles under $30. Nothing wrong with these type answers; I just don't want to see my EH Taylor or 15 year Scotch in a glass with twice as much ice as whiskey or mixed with some type soda. Also keep the nicer bottles in a separate location that only certain guests see. No cringe worthy moments since then.

Smart man.

Normally I'm out in front of the situation but it all just kind of happened quickly. I don't want to hide my bourbon collection but I might need to put out a few more stunt bottles. Actually, that's exactly what I need to do. Because- and this is currently a problem for me, also- we don't have any decent every day sippers in the house right now. Everything is a <$50 bottle. 

The dude is still a douche, though. He normally drinks Jameson. I don't have Jameson, but I do have another Irish whiskey. Offered him that and he opted for an unopened bottle of bourbon instead. Just a matter of principle and, thankfully, it was definitely not EH Taylor or something else rare like that. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Smart man.

Normally I'm out in front of the situation but it all just kind of happened quickly. I don't want to hide my bourbon collection but I might need to put out a few more stunt bottles. Actually, that's exactly what I need to do. Because- and this is currently a problem for me, also- we don't have any decent every day sippers in the house right now. Everything is a <$50 bottle. 

The dude is still a douche, though. He normally drinks Jameson. I don't have Jameson, but I do have another Irish whiskey. Offered him that and he opted for an unopened bottle of bourbon instead. Just a matter of principle and, thankfully, it was definitely not EH Taylor or something else rare like that. 

William Faulkner apparently had the cure for this: kept a bottle of I think Jack Daniels (or something that was considered “good “ whiskey back in the day) but filled it with Four Roses, which was rot-gut back then. Gave the “good” whiskey to those kinds of guests and kept the real good stuff in reserve. Pretty solid plan if you ask me, if you can work it logistically 

• Like 1

Just went and bought another bottle of Double Oaked to keep hidden, as well as some Benchmark Bonded, Makers Cask Strength, Knob Creek Single Barrel (store pick), Rowan's Creek (never had it), and Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Strength. True retail therapy moment. I'm not sure I even wanted all those but it's been a hell of a month and I just really wanted to acquire bottles. Gonna have to rearrange my shelves soon. 

• Like 2