Brown Liquor Time

fredst

29 minutes ago, fredst said:

Love just about every Bookers I’ve had (different release each quarter). They tend to run 120-130 (have two right now that are each 124)

Random note, I get so psyched when I see that one of you guys has posted in this thread

• Love 1

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Random note, I get so psyched when I see that one of you guys has posted in this thread

Agree. I enjoy what I learn in this and the other clubs.

If only we could get Mikey in here to harangue us about something my experience would be complete, lol

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, fredst said:

Agree. I enjoy what I learn in this and the other clubs.

If only we could get Mikey in here to harangue us about something my experience would be complete, lol

Don't say it too loud, he might hear you

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Coworker asked if I liked good whiskey…
“I mean, yeah”. Dude gives me a bottle of Elmer because he didn’t like it  He barely drank the shoulders off before I put this dent in it.

0bV7NkZ.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Coworker asked if I liked good whiskey…
“I mean, yeah”. Dude gives me a bottle of Elmer because he didn’t like it  He barely drank the shoulders off before I put this dent in it.

0bV7NkZ.jpg

Pretty awesome gift! What's your opinion of it...worth the hype? I overpaid for a bottle of it while in NYC last month, but it was best secondary price I've seen. I've given up on ever seeing it close to MSRP after a few years of looking. Haven't opened it; saving for a special occasion. 

31 minutes ago, marsbold said:

Pretty awesome gift! What's your opinion of it...worth the hype? I overpaid for a bottle of it while in NYC last month, but it was best secondary price I've seen. I've given up on ever seeing it close to MSRP after a few years of looking. Haven't opened it; saving for a special occasion. 

I think it’s hyped appropriately. We sell it at $50 (when we get it), so it’s worth every penny at that price point. Having had bottles on multiple occasions, I wouldn’t spend more than $75 on it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marsbold said:

I think that it’s a great lower proof whiskey. If I found a bottle that I paid $75 or less for I would hold or try to sell on the secondary market for $125+ because I *might* have a couple of bottles in reserve(and I hate the secondary market). What did you pay, ballpark,  if you don’t mind me asking?

13 hours ago, fredst said:

I think that it’s a great lower proof whiskey. If I found a bottle that I paid $75 or less for I would hold or try to sell on the secondary market for $125+ because I *might* have a couple of bottles in reserve(and I hate the secondary market). What did you pay, ballpark,  if you don’t mind me asking?

Too much!! $240. Had a decent Christmas bonus & called it a Christmas gift to myself. I may have seen it secondary around $250, but the few times I've seen it the price has been closer to $300 or even higher. Probably not worth these prices, but it's a bottle I've wanted to try for years & I've given up on getting it at a reasonable price. 

I hate the secondary market also. Have never resold a bottle other than at price I bought it for & to friends. I've paid secondary 2-3 times, but try not contribute much to that market.

• Like 2

Re: secondary, my local spot is expecting some Pappy and they've never charged above MSRP for anything. They also don't do holds and such. Which means that, if I actually go by there every day until that delivery arrives and time it right, I have a long shot at a bottle of Pappy (not even sure which expression(s)) at MSRP.

I've never even considered selling something on the secondary, but depending on the expression, we could be talking about thousands of dollars profit on one bottle. Of course, we could also be talking about me giving that to one of my kids as a wedding gift in 20 years, but the point is I'm trying not to judge any of it too harshly because I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation.

But that shop that tried to charge me $99 for a regular ass Sazerac Rye awhile back? Yeah, to hell with them forever and always, even after they dropped it down to $50. (I picked up 4 bottles from my aforementioned regular spot for the appropriate $29.99 per.) 

• Like 1

Never sold on secondary myself but have had the opportunity. I bought the EHT “ Tornado Surviving” at ~ $80 when it came out and really enjoyed drinking that; saw it advertised on a site recently selling for $15k, lol- kinda makes me wish that I had not opened that one. I bought the first few expressions of OF Birthday; friend of mine sold his 2014 bottle not long ago for $1500. I hate the damn secondary but there is money to be made I guess

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Never sold on secondary myself but have had the opportunity. I bought the EHT “ Tornado Surviving” at line $80 when it came out and really enjoyed drinking that; saw it advertised on a site recently selling for $15k, lol. I bought the first few expressions of OF Birthday; friend of mine sold his 2014 bottle not long ago for $1500. I hate the damn secondary but there is money to be made I guess

I feel sorry for whoever paid $1500 for OF BB, lol. It's damned good but c'mon. Good for your friend. 

I guess the EHT you had qualifies as a true collector's item, but $15k???

I wouldn't feel too bad about Pappy because it's already a runaway train. And I spend all my booze money at this store so I wouldn't feel like I'm screwing them over, really. If I were to get a bottle, I'd probably put it in a safe place and save it. I have only ever bought bourbon to drink but I've also never had access to a bottle like that. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I feel sorry for whoever paid $1500 for OF BB, lol. It's damned good but c'mon. Good for your friend. 

I guess the EHT you had qualifies as a true collector's item, but $15k???

I wouldn't feel too bad about Pappy because it's already a runaway train. And I spend all my booze money at this store so I wouldn't feel like I'm screwing them over, really. If I were to get a bottle, I'd probably put it in a safe place and save it. I have only ever bought bourbon to drink but I've also never had access to a bottle like that. 

Yes, the EHT was delicious but if someone was willing to pay $15k🤔…. I’ve been fortunate enough to have a fair amount of Pappy through the years and have enjoyed sharing it, never wanted to hoard for whatever reason. Now that my Pappy collection is running low I wish I would have hoarded some, lol

• Haha 1

I started dabbling in Scotch around 2016-2017. Didn't get into American whiskey much until a couple years later. Guess I'm like a lot of others that hopped on the American whiskey bandwagon over the last several years...never had a chance to get the Pappys, BTAC expressions, older Willets,OF BB, etc at a decent price and have never tried any of them. A little jealous of you guys that were around earlier and were able to try some of them. Guess we're all in the same boat now though...little chance of getting the highly sought after & allocated products at a decent price. I enjoy the hunt though & trying new things. Fortunately there are plenty of good bottles at reasonable prices to enjoy.

Had some Willet Family Reserve 4 year rye and Alberta Premium cask strength rye last night. Both new to me, fun to try, somewhat available & around $70. There are so many $40-75 bottles I want to try that it will take years...maybe by then the supply and demand of the highly allocated, craze priced items will have evened out some.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marsbold said:

Willet Family Reserve 4 year rye

That stuff is soooooo interesting to me. Just a really unique juice. I've got a bottle that I'm nursing. 

I also was into scotch before bourbon. Mainly got into bourbon because you can get great bourbon, as you said, for way less than good scotch costs. Ironic that the difference is diminishing now, lol.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:42 AM, marsbold said:

Too much!! $240. Had a decent Christmas bonus & called it a Christmas gift to myself. I may have seen it secondary around $250, but the few times I've seen it the price has been closer to $300 or even higher. Probably not worth these prices, but it's a bottle I've wanted to try for years & I've given up on getting it at a reasonable price. 

I hate the secondary market also. Have never resold a bottle other than at price I bought it for & to friends. I've paid secondary 2-3 times, but try not contribute much to that market.

1054F41F-B8F9-4E56-BF75-C6AEBE0A446E.gif

On 1/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, McLoofus said:

That stuff is soooooo interesting to me. Just a really unique juice. I've got a bottle that I'm nursing. 

I also was into scotch before bourbon. Mainly got into bourbon because you can get great bourbon, as you said, for way less than good scotch costs. Ironic that the difference is diminishing now, lol.

If you’re a fan of Willett in general, do yourself a favor and go grab lunch at their restaurant. Bomb food, drinks, and even the coffee is killer. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:49 PM, fredst said:

Never sold on secondary myself but have had the opportunity. I bought the EHT “ Tornado Surviving” at ~ $80 when it came out and really enjoyed drinking that; saw it advertised on a site recently selling for $15k, lol- kinda makes me wish that I had not opened that one. I bought the first few expressions of OF Birthday; friend of mine sold his 2014 bottle not long ago for $1500. I hate the damn secondary but there is money to be made I guess

I remember the Tornado EHT. It was a shelf turd at the store I worked at in Chatt. 😔

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I remember the Tornado EHT. It was a shelf turd at the store I worked at in Chatt. 😔

Lol. It was a great tasting whiskey. EHT single barrel remains one of my favorites. Think the $15k quote was on Caskers website maybe…? Another prime example of the insanity of the market

5 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If anyone has a bottle of JD Coy Hill, I’ll happily trade them a bottle of Blanton’s. 

Just throwing it out there. Strictly a retail price trade. 

You can get the Coy on Caskers…. For $999, lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fredst said:

You can get the Coy on Caskers…. For $999, lol

Retail on that is $75. Maybe even less. Some stores are gouging the hell out of it. I know of store around here that went $199 to $299 to $699 in a span of a few days. We sold ours at $85 I think. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Retail on that is $75. Maybe even less. Some stores are gouging the hell out of it. I know of store around here that went $199 to $299 to $699 in a span of a few days. We sold ours at $85 I think. 

I continue to find new reasons to dislike humans 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK Bourbon boys, a new Bourbon is being released March 26th from Castle & Key distillery here in Versailles, KY.

https://www.kentucky.com/lexgoeat/bourbon/article259399839.html

Castle and Key was created in 2014. They refurbished an old distillery from the 70s. This is the first batch, aged 4 years.  Just throwing it out there in case y'all are wanting to try a first time Bourbon.  

• Love 1

14 hours ago, AUBwins said:

OK Bourbon boys, a new Bourbon is being released March 26th from Castle & Key distillery here in Versailles, KY.

https://www.kentucky.com/lexgoeat/bourbon/article259399839.html

Castle and Key was created in 2014. They refurbished an old distillery from the 70s. This is the first batch, aged 4 years.  Just throwing it out there in case y'all are wanting to try a first time Bourbon.  

At $55 I might have to wait for some reviews, but thanks for the heads up and I'll remember the name for sure!